Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (704967 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by easykay011: 10:12am On Jul 28, 2017
Hello everyone! I wrote GRE last year I scored 149 in Verbal nd 150 in quantitative. Can I use it to apply to grad school? I have a cgpa of 3.37/4.0 in Biochemistry. Scored 94 in TOEFL (without Scoring less than 20 in any).
What's my chance of gaining admission? The annoying most of these schools do not even write their minimum GRE scores required on their websites.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrChillz(m): 10:25am On Jul 28, 2017
toluene1234:

Thanks. If d school can send me sevis ID dat would be beautiful. Are u confirming dat applying booking and going for interview is achievable within a week bro?
Thanks

Well, it all depends on availability of interview dates. We're almost in August and so dates are filling up quickly.
And yes, all can be done within a week. It only took me 3 days to apply and have my interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrChillz(m): 10:33am On Jul 28, 2017
easykay011:
Hello everyone! I wrote GRE last year I scored 149 in Verbal nd 150 in quantitative. Can I use it to apply to grad school? I have a cgpa of 3.37/4.0 in Biochemistry. Scored 94 in TOEFL (without Scoring less than 20 in any).
What's my chance of gaining admission? The annoying most of these schools do not even write their minimum GRE scores required on their websites.

What are your chances of gaining admission?

Admissions are like visa interviews, no one can accurately predict. Your entire application is considered holistically. That said, you can get admission into schools with the profile above. But it becomes a question of how robust the program/school is.
There are folks on this very thread with score in this range who got admission with funding. So, you may want to do a thorough research into schools that'll accept your profile.

Minimum GRE scores required by schools

This one is quite tricky as it is dynamic, thus highly dependent on the application pool for each admission cycle. You can outrightly ask the graduate coordinator of your intended program for statistics. I did this one time and got a positive response. You could also check gradcafe and run through the profiles of admitted students into your proposed school.

I hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:54am On Jul 28, 2017
toluene1234:

Its my fault. I am paying my tuition deposit next week before I can get the I-20. Dats y I am devicing day means. Is it achievable within a week from my initial post.

Thanks

It is doable but the time frame very short as it will be from airport straight to buying a ticket to leave that same week and so a 50/50 chance
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by caul(m): 10:55am On Jul 28, 2017
Joan011:
ntin, i just wanted to, knw are u a HND degree holder?

No am not
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by easykay011: 11:03am On Jul 28, 2017
MrChillz:

What are your chances of gaining admission?

Admissions are like visa interviews, no one can accurately predict. Your entire application is considered holistically. That said, you can get admission into schools with the profile above. But it becomes a question of how robust the program/school is.
There are folks on this very thread with score in this range who got admission with funding. So, you may want to do a thorough research into schools that'll accept your profile.

Minimum GRE scores required by schools

This one is quite tricky as it is dynamic, thus highly dependent on the application pool for each admission cycle. You can outrightly ask the graduate coordinator of your intended program for statistics. I did this one time and got a positive response. You could also check gradcafe and run through the profiles of admitted students into your proposed school.

I hope this helps?

Thanks a lot bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by toluene1234: 11:52am On Jul 28, 2017
MrChillz:

Well, it all depends on availability of interview dates. We're almost in August and so dates are filling up quickly.
And yes, all can be done within a week. It only took me 3 days to apply and have my interview.

That is a good one � bro. I just got a boost from you for taking u 3 days. Thanks for your contribution. God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by toluene1234: 11:58am On Jul 28, 2017
LagosismyHome:

It is doable but the time frame very short as it will be from airport straight to buying a ticket to leave that same week and so a 50/50 chance
Thanks my sister. You have always been contributing immensely to my posts. You also gave me a boost. Thanks and God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 11:59am On Jul 28, 2017
easykay011:

We both know you know the right thing to do but you are running away from the truth but I will tell you, go and re-write the GRE if you can. The good surpasses the bad. If you can make a GPA of 3.37/4 in Biochemistry, you must be smart if not all round smart at least book smart. Go study hard and wisely for the Exam. And forget the excuse of working and studying for GRE, some of US were working in Lagos then where you leave home 4:30am for a job that resumes 8am and you dont get home until 11pm every damn day, so you have no excuses.A GRE of less than 300 is going to limit you. With say a GRE score > 310 , you have more choices of schools to apply to and you can also dream dreams with some top schools , and hope for the best. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 28, 2017
As of yesterday 1st is still available
NefT:
For those that have scheduled a date recently, do we still have 31st of July Available? What other dates are available?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by aamstih: 1:15pm On Jul 28, 2017
@Ability247, quote me when you see this, it is as regards workshop3, pollution lab, Sunic and EIA. I hope you understand when you bsee this. Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by emmayodata(m): 1:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
please everyone in the house, I need your help.
After paying my visa fee, I went to ds160 site to generate an application id, answered a security question and left the site. I used this detail (my application id) to schedule my visa appointment. Now coming back to ds-160 site to complete my form I was told to provide the first 5 digits of my surname and my year of birth as part of my security answers which was not required as at then and I didn't even fill anything on that page. My interview comes up on 1st August. Please and please help a brother here.
cc:
Justwise
walspring
texrem
lagosismyhome.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ovarb17: 2:27pm On Jul 28, 2017
Hi,like to know if there are universities in New York or new Jersey that offer scholarships? This.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ValentinoPerez(m): 2:30pm On Jul 28, 2017
Teminiyii:
Hey guys, I really want to say that this forum helped me greatly, my visa was approved today(7:45am) at the Lagos state embassy, after denying me a B1/B2 visa last year and also delayed at Abuja embassy last week Thursday a F1 visa but here I am today giving thanks to God Almighty for his love and mercy towards me. It was just pure favour and God's grace I received today. I also want to use this opportunity to thank Mrchillz, Ability247, blacnewton, eniolorunfe, Texrem, lagosismyhome and segun for ur contributions in one way or the other to the success of my visa. God will continue to bless u guys. Amen

My transcript goes this:
Vo: Good morning
Me: Good morning nd how was urnyt.. fine
Vo: Tell me about ur travel plans
Me: I'm going for my masters degree in mathematics with a specialization in applied statistics at Cleveland state university... Am required to earn 36 credit hours over a period of 24months and I'll be taking courses like... Vo cuts....
Vo: Let's make it simple... what re u going for?
Me: Am going for my masters in...... as mentioned above
Vo: why Cleveland state university?
Me: I chose Cleveland state university cos their mathematics and statistics department offers a good research and curriculum that's inline with my career pursuit wch will be apathway to achieving my career goal as a data analyst.
Vo: what's ur research on?
Me: Developing a robust method for analyzing data also developing a user friendly software that offers flexibility for data manipulation.
Vo: what do u intend to do with this course?
Me: I intend to work in a telecom company due to rapid increase in phone users in Nigeria, my skills and experience gained will help in analyzing sales report and also make good market research that will be productive in helping my company make a better business decision.
Na so she start to read my Ds160 form for like 2mins the next thing wey I hear na the magic word oooo.... that ur visa has been approved.. e be like say na d only thing wey I hear be that.
Before the interview was just singing all things re working for my good and it's intention and indeed God made everything work for my good. You're a failure only wen u fail and u refuse to stand again... And put God first in everything even wen it seems that nothing is working trust me God is working. Thanks

A big congratulations to you, I am glad you made it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OGreene: 2:39pm On Jul 28, 2017
I was in for the 6:30AM appointment. I saw the crowd and joined at the end. About 15 minutes later, 6:30 batch was called to line up in front followed by 7:00AM batch and so on. The screening started, I got in and did my biometrics and joined the feeder line. Hmmm, the atmosphere was tight. I paid little attention to the interviews going on because I felt I will distracted by the rejections. I saw the elderly lady and wished to be interviewed by her. When I was placed in front of her, I said this is a good sign.

VO – Pass me your passport and i-20 (no smile at all. I passed them with sevis payment confirmation)
VO – What is your highest qualification?
Me – Bachelor’s degree in Zoology
VO – When did you graduate?
Me - 2010
VO – What have you been doing since then?
Me – I went for the compulsory youth service, then worked with a human resource firm and finally joined Banking, I currently work in a Bank.
VO – Oh, so you work in a Bank!
Me – Yes ma’am
VO – So why did you chose this school?
Me – Because the curriculum fits my career interest perfectly: It has a huge emphasis on Economics and... (she cut in)
VO – How many schools did you apply to?
Me - 5
VO – How many admitted you? Name them
Me – 5 of them. Columbia Uni... (she stopped typing and looked at me, her eyes lit up. I continued, and maintained eye contact...) University of California Berkeley, University of Minnesota, University of Pittsburgh and then Johns Hopkins which is the one I chose to attend.
VO – She mentioned the financial aid on my i-20, and then asked what my father’s occupation is
Me - He is a business man
VO – What exactly?
Me - He is into importation, mostly general clothing
VO – Does he have a physical shop?
Me - Yes, he does
VO – Do you have family in the US?
Me - Not at all, only several friends.
VO – Where will you be staying?
Me – I will rent an apartment. I am in the Admitted students’ group on Facebook and have connected with other students. Those already in D.C have started apartment hunting and they give regular feedback with pictures to the rest of us outside the US. I have seen some I like, usually a room in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment, a room averages $800 and $50 for utility. I will finally pay for one when I get there.
VO – I will be approving your visa. Please keep your i-20 and pick up your passport at this location. I was now beaming with smile, picked up the white paper and made for the door.

I was done by 7:30AM. Saw someone I know outside, hers was also approved. I saw many others with dejected look and I referred them to this thread, they have no idea this thread exists. I told them I gained a lot from here and knew what to expect. So grateful!

To those yet to go for interview, study all the likely questions so that you won’t be taken unawares. No question was new to me as I have read a lot of transcripts, and few days ago, I listed the questions and give my answers to them. If you can’t get anyone to do a mock interview, just stand in front of the mirror and do it, see that you are flowing. Don't cram, have the key points you need to mention and expand on it.

Good luck to those yet to go for the interview. Is there an element of grace? Absolutely!

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Kirusky4life(f): 2:44pm On Jul 28, 2017
BloodyMitch:

Lie lie there's none like Indomie, if it's not indomie it is not indomie
The difference is in the taste. the taste is the difference. Nothing taste like My indomie

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sharles: 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2017
Pls house i have a question. Can someone use a fixed deposit account for account statement. The money has been in the account for over 6months. No inflow no outflow. Based on that money have been saved for the purpose of paying graduate fees.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Lamzee(m): 2:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
Good day house, pls am confused, is it a must I should add room and board fees when searching for school,cos they are on the high side
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 3:02pm On Jul 28, 2017
mudi1012:
Okay please what are the important food one should carry when going to the US ?

These foods will smell so good they will just let you pass with it

ofe owerri with snail and stock fish tail,

Ekpang nkukwo (please and please dont grind the prawn just use am scatter the food with goat meat leg)

EFo riro with assorted (saki, brokoto, fresh pomo not the stinking one) make sure Locust beans dey am (iru woro)

Chicken nkwobi ( please put enough utazi and only use chicken rump my oh my that part they sweet die)

Ukwa will be a delicacy please put am corn and dry fish.
and finally abacha with azu ndu

Make sure its frozen and well packed buy a business/first class ticket and give it to the hostess to keep frozen till you land

Dont worry about eba, pounded yam, semo or ground rice. I also have a mini palm wine tree in my backyard

Call me when you land

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OGreene: 3:09pm On Jul 28, 2017
Please has anyone flown Qatar Airways recently? I'm about making payment
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Teminiyii(m): 3:09pm On Jul 28, 2017
ValentinoPerez:

A big congratulations to you, I am glad you made it.
Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrChillz(m): 3:38pm On Jul 28, 2017
OGreene:
Please has anyone flown Qatar Airways recently? I'm about making payment

Mackynaija used Qatar to Houston this week. Another member left with Qatar today. You can read up Mackynaija's review. Just search it up.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrChillz(m): 3:40pm On Jul 28, 2017
emmayodata:
please everyone in the house, I need your help.
After paying my visa fee, I went to ds160 site to generate an application id, answered a security question and left the site. I used this detail (my application id) to schedule my visa appointment. Now coming back to ds-160 site to complete my form I was told to provide the first 5 digits of my surname and my year of birth as part of my security answers which was not required as at then and I didn't even fill anything on that page. My interview comes up on 1st August. Please and please help a brother here.
cc:
Justwise
walspring
texrem
lagosismyhome.

This happens when you're trying to retrieve a DS160 form you've filled in the past. If you can't find your way around it, just fill a new one and make sure the confirmation code matches with that on your appointment confirmation. You'll be fine.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Jesusbabygirl(f): 3:42pm On Jul 28, 2017
Hello great house. So i got to the US earlier this week (yet to be so impressed sha...lol). Anyways thought to share my port of entry experience. I flew through Abu Dhabi to Chicago and based on the new development, I was stamped in at Abu Dhabi not Chicago (For those who still don't agree that this is happening...it is):

At Abu Dhabi....
CBP: What are you going to do in the US?
Me: To study for an MBA
CBP: Do you have any close relatives in the US?
Me: Yes (and I mentioned who and relationship)
CBP: Do you have any food items?
Me: Yes (and I listed them)
CBP (sounding surprised): You don't have garri (CBP pronounced it like an ijebu man...lol)?
Me: No
CBP: Thought Nigerians can't survive without it
CBP: (Shows me my bags on a screen): Are those your bags?
Me: Yes
CBP: (Cleared bags and stamped me in)
Shikena...so at Chicago i just went in like a domestic traveller.

Great to be where there is constant electricity sha, guess that is the only wow thing so far and of course the place is sooooo organized.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by MrChillz(m): 3:45pm On Jul 28, 2017
Jesusbabygirl:
Hello great house. So i got to the US earlier this week (yet to be so impressed sha...lol). Anyways thought to share my port of entry experience. I flew through Abu Dhabi to Chicago and based on the new development, I was stamped in at Abu Dhabi not Chicago (For those who still don't agree that this is happening...it is):

At Abu Dhabi....
CBP: What are you going to do in the US?
Me: To study for an MBA
CBP: Do you have any close relatives in the US?
Me: Yes (and I mentioned who and relationship)
CBP: Do you have any food items?
Me: Yes (and I listed them)
CBP (sounding surprised): You don't have garri (CBP pronounced it like an ijebu man...lol)?
Me: No
CBP: Thought Nigerians can't survive without it
CBP: (Shows me my bags on a screen): Are those your bags?
Me: Yes
CBP: (Cleared bags and stamped me in)
Shikena...so at Chicago i just went in like a domestic traveller.

Great to be where there is constant electricity sha, guess that is the only wow thing so far and of course the place is sooooo organized.

Nice of you to share.

Yet to be impressed?
You be confirm ajé for Nigeria then. Cos even Yankee pics dey impress me.lol

Enjoy your studies

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mudi1012: 3:47pm On Jul 28, 2017
Lol...You still get me for mind abi ..Angel Afonja grin grin grin
AfonjaBoston:

These foods will smell so good they will just let you pass with it

ofe owerri with snail and stock fish tail,

Ekpang nkukwo (please and please dont grind the prawn just use am scatter the food with goat meat leg)

EFo riro with assorted (saki, brokoto, fresh pomo not the stinking one) make sure Locust beans dey am (iru woro)

Chicken nkwobi ( please put enough utazi and only use chicken rump my oh my that part they sweet die)

Ukwa will be a delicacy please put am corn and dry fish.
and finally abacha with azu ndu

Make sure its frozen and well packed buy a business/first class ticket and give it to the hostess to keep frozen till you land

Dont worry about eba, pounded yam, semo or ground rice. I also have a mini palm wine tree in my backyard

Call me when you land
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Jesusbabygirl(f): 3:47pm On Jul 28, 2017
MrChillz:

Nice of you to share.

Yet to be impressed?
You be confirm ajé for Nigeria then. Cos even Yankee pics dey impress me.lol

Enjoy your studies
Lol, don't mind me. My love for Nigeria is only second to my love for my husband.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by olarich30: 3:58pm On Jul 28, 2017
Please do I need a yellow card at the port of entry when I get to JFK? Someone told me to carry it along just in case.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by jaybiz007(m): 4:00pm On Jul 28, 2017
Jesusbabygirl:
Lol, don't mind me. My love for Nigeria is only second to my love for my husband.
A patriotic Nigerian. I'm impressed! Wishing you the best in your MBA program.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OluDare01(m): 4:05pm On Jul 28, 2017
easykay011:

I don't know if my department would admit for spring but apply to Tennessee tech department of chemistry (biochemistry is under chemistry) for fall 2018. You should get in with funding because 6 of us would be graduating spring 2018 so there's gonna be slots available for incoming students. Feel free to contact me cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by emmayodata(m): 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2017
MrChillz:

This happens when you're trying to retrieve a DS160 form you've filled in the past. If you can't find your way around it, just fill a new one and make sure the confirmation code matches with that on your appointment confirmation. You'll be fine.
Thanks, but a new appointment confirmation will be generated the moment I start filling a new one. I'm confused please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.