Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (695920 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by roscolee(m): 2:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
trippple:
My visa was delayed a couple of days back.
I am applying for a PhD program.
The VO said that all PhD program in the US are fully funded or have at least a GTA.
But mine doesn't. I explained and explained to her that mine has only a tuition waiver.
Then she gave me the Blue paper. Now am at crossroads as to whether to apply or not.
My classes start in 10 days time.
Please advice...........
it's better you defer the admission. 10 days is too close.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Hummm so someone u never met in person will just disclose their life details despite the poor reputation of 419 with nigerians out there.... just google fraud nigeria . Then an american with over 400,000 usd and 3M in assets ( how many average americans have that in the bank) . So i am not surprise at this : behold the VO said '' i am not convinced by your ability to afford your school fees''

And the person also has spent over $4,500 on you just like that.. all i can say is sorry about been delayed , maybe next time the Vo will believe

ALright.... . Time for a cuppa of tea

Young lady you never see anything, with Yahoo Plus these muthafuckerrs can do anything .

Pray you don't jam one

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2017
trippple:
My visa was delayed a couple of days back.
I am applying for a PhD program.
The VO said that all PhD program in the US are fully funded or have at least a GTA.
But mine doesn't. I explained and explained to her that mine has only a tuition waiver.
Then she gave me the Blue paper. Now am at crossroads as to whether to apply or not.
My classes start in 10 days time.
Please advice...........

Like I commonly see here;

Throw another 65k in, refire ( WTF does that mean grin)
fold your arms and heaven will rain visa manna on You cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 3:13pm On Aug 11, 2017
AfonjaBoston:

bad Belle grin grin grin... it is God that giveth and taketh visa

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Mediarush(m): 3:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
Good Afternoon house,
I am a graduate of Linguistics and Communication studies currently doing my Masters in Information Science though i will be finishing June/July 2018. So, some weeks back i got an offer from my uncle who wants me to study in Us and i have been looking for schools which i can apply to preferably Masters in linguistics( Forensic or Computational Linguistics). please house i will be needing your assistance.
Thank you, God bless.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by thekvng(m): 3:25pm On Aug 11, 2017
please any available person for mock interview plsineed help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by aadeyi: 3:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
Mediarush:
Good Afternoon house,
I am a graduate of Linguistics and Communication studies currently doing my Masters in Information Science though i will be finishing June/July 2018. So, some weeks back i got an offer from my uncle who wants me to study in Us and i have been looking for schools which i can apply to preferably Masters in linguistics( Forensic or Computational Linguistics). please house i will be needing your assistance.
Thank you, God bless.

Daddy/Mummy,
Google is actually your best friend in this situation, you will be surprised how much info u will get from it. Do ur research and come back for more. My 2cents

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 3:42pm On Aug 11, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
bad Belle grin grin grin... it is God that giveth and taketh visa

God also giveth and taketh common sense cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 3:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
thekvng:
please any available person for mock interview plsineed help

I will be available 5:50 Pm (EDT) before then cook some nice smelling ofe akwu and agidi my side will be ugba with small abacha and stock fish.
I will not mind some freshly brewed zobo.

Your interview will be so smooth just like the Russians "interfered" in the US elections

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
Mediarush:
Good Afternoon house,
Thank you, God bless.

Forget that Uncle he is just zoboing you.

He won't do shiiiiit! Just tell him you found a school and they require $15000.00 deposit.

Trust me your calls will start building mansion in his voicemail cheesy

16 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AJANIEmmanuel78(m): 3:57pm On Aug 11, 2017
AfonjaBoston:

I will be available 5:50 Pm (EDT) before then cook some nice smelling ofe akwu and agidi my side will be ugba with small abacha and stock fish.

Your interview will be so smooth just like the Russians "interfered" in the US elections
Chai... God why??
grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by thekvng(m): 4:08pm On Aug 11, 2017
AfonjaBoston:

are you for real send your number or how do we go about it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by trippple: 4:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
aadeyi:

Bro/Sis,
The VO was damn right, All PhD I have seen or known so far are fully funded with some kind of assistantship. So your story of tuition waiver is not convincing

My Advise
Take another GRE (if u have not written any before or you have a low score) and package another application now to another school or if u wish the same school and get all the benefits involved. My2cents

But what if i want to pay for my PhD as i could not get a funding? Is that not Possible? Whereas I have people that pay for their PhDs, many in fact.
Meanwhile, i wrote the school a mail concerning the issue and here is their reply:
"Sorry to hear of your difficulties. At this time, we have no teaching assistantship openings in the department. Research assistantships are awarded by individual faculty members that may have received grant funding for that purpose. My suggestion would be to contact the professor that specializes in the area for which you are interested in studying to see if they would have any available research assistantship funding. Since assistantships are awarded on a semester-by-semester basis, we always suggest that students be prepared to self-fund their education in the event that they are not awarded an assistantship. The department does not handle scholarships. Those are awarded by the Admissions office."

Can i still apply...////?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 4:21pm On Aug 11, 2017
Mediarush:
Good Afternoon house,
Thank you, God bless.
Stop being lazy, in this age of technology you shouldnt come here first asking for schools that offer so so so and so. Take your life serious and put in some work. A first step is to type msc in forensic in google with USA in quote. You will be surprised and marvelled at the number of links to schools and educational blog/website you will get. You can then come back here asking for first hand information about some of the schools you found. Www.msinus.com, www.gradcafe.com might also be helpful. Aditionally, just like someone advised that you should tell your uncle that the school you found require an initial deposit, I will advice you do so because Uncles/Aunties et al are not reliable, I know someone that his Uncle/Brother told him to come over that he is going to sponsor him, he got here, registered for school and the story change. The said uncle started with 'my business is not moving well bla bla bla' so in summary, dont fall victim of such scenerio, the depression and high blood pressure that comes with it is not cool. However, your dream to study abroad doesnt solely rest on your uncle, you can take charge of that dream by writting standazided tests, getting a good masters gpa and proceed to apply for Phd which in most cases comes with full funding. You can also apply for another masters and with the hope of funding. The decision is yours to make

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by AfonjaBoston: 4:22pm On Aug 11, 2017
thekvng:

Hey hey hey hey slow down Cook the damn meals first

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 4:23pm On Aug 11, 2017
thekvng:

Its funny that you cant discern. Does that person sound like a serious person to you? No? ....Thought as much

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:48pm On Aug 11, 2017
trippple:

But what if i want to pay for my PhD as i could not get a funding? Is that not Possible? Whereas I have people that pay for their PhDs, many in fact.
Meanwhile, i wrote the school a mail concerning the issue and here is their reply:
"Sorry to hear of your difficulties. At this time, we have no teaching assistantship openings in the department. Research assistantships are awarded by individual faculty members that may have received grant funding for that purpose. My suggestion would be to contact the professor that specializes in the area for which you are interested in studying to see if they would have any available research assistantship funding. Since assistantships are awarded on a semester-by-semester basis, we always suggest that students be prepared to self-fund their education in the event that they are not awarded an assistantship. The department does not handle scholarships. Those are awarded by the Admissions office."

Can i still apply...////?

what kind of tuition waiver did you get ?

also yes I have heard of many that got phd with no funding , and have seen many received funding as well
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by imperiouxx(m): 5:13pm On Aug 11, 2017
iekene:

Just to be clear.. I said NEED not MUST . Where i stay you need a Car.. You cant rely on the Buses cos they pass every 15 Minutes and where you are going might be far from the bustop . If there were buses i for nor complain. In Nigeria i never had a car and didn't even complain, all my friends had cars, In fact i don't even know how to drive now. Here i Have to trek 25 Minutes before getting to school without bus. To go anywhere i have to use lyft or uber. If you see me trecking sef i am sure you would pity me and buy me a car cos am literally the only one trecking on the road. Oyibo sef they pity me.. cheesy cheesy cheesy

The problem with owning a car as a new/old student is cost of maintenance. Even for a new car with warranty, you will spend a lot to fix the wearable parts and insurance. With a used car, you should be prepared to spend a fortune. Cost of maintaining automobile in U.S is very expensive, unlike in Nigeria where cheap and inferior parts can be slammed into your car. You can look for a place not up to that 25 mins walking distance. If there is a public transportation in your city, try find a way to keep up with their schedule. I won't advise you to buy a used car.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
thekvng:

shocked shocked na wa for u ooo. So you read it and took it seriously

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
DeeTus:
aunty, this one you are wishing us happy weekend. Any better for us?

The better is happy weekend n.a.... grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by kallowdean(m): 7:59pm On Aug 11, 2017
If you need Dollars for Application fee, TOEFL or GRE.
Buzz me up with a PM because I need Naira desperately...
My rate is flexible and negotiable.
I'll link you up with my official college email & US line to know I'm legit.

But, Please if you know you are so unwilling to pay first, don't bother sending me a PM.
Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:06pm On Aug 11, 2017
deWav:
Where is Walspring?

Been a while I read your post. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Am here oooo but i should be back fully as from next week or month ending due to my busy schedule

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TemmieDeal: 8:09pm On Aug 11, 2017
AfonjaBoston:

pLS REFIRE!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:17pm On Aug 11, 2017
LagosismyHome:

E go better one day .......as the saying goes grin so

A big amen to the bold aspect
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:17pm On Aug 11, 2017
segunojo866:
I disappeared and run away from nairaland after two delay but now visa approved at the 3rd attempt in Lagos embassy at 7:00am appointment . Transcripting loading. Trying to charge my phone now. Thanks to walspring, texrem and others for support

Congrats and enjoy your stay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:18pm On Aug 11, 2017
anodebeanthony:
VISA Approved!!!

Thank God, its good to pray and be prepared.

Thank you so much guys

@tunnyz7
@teedawg and
@zealotre

I don't know how to thank you guys but God will bless you guys for the encouragement and for the mock interview. You guys call and chat me always and always check on me like a brother.

@walspring menh thanks a lot. The guy that encouraged me to apply immediately and be positive.

@oludare01 this guy really drilled and gingered me during mock but menh that was part of what made me step up.

@texrem thanks Bro keep up the good work and thanks for the mock.

@lagosismyhome keep up the good work you are doing here

And everyone that contributed one way or the other here God will bless you guys.

I will post transcript later. Make I rest I feel like to sleep for 48 hours lol

Congrats and in all let's give all the thanks to God

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:19pm On Aug 11, 2017
streetMic:

Haha oga Sir. I dey here o. How area Na? Thanks for your support way back o.

I hail ooo..Naija dey and we dey push am.. grin grin grin

Let's give all the thanks to God.

I will send you pm, try reply my pm back
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
yomcy2016:
Good morning house, this is me giving my appreciation first and foremost to the Lord God Almighty for making my interview a success.

Secondly, a big shout out to Walspring for your kind response to my question as well as Joeluv.

I was scheduled for 6:30 interview...though i didn't leave till around 7:43.

On getting to the venue...I had my docs already with me so the tout won't use me for breakfast..all the staple your documents and all I didn't even answer any of them...park here park there...I used my discretion to on that as well...considering all the stories have heard on the platform so I was readily prepared.

All those your documents must be coloured...it isn't tru...none was for me aside my admission letter sent with my I20.

Fast forward to my interview...

The VO all smiling a young pretty lady prolly in her late 20's i think it was window 6 if I ain't mistaken.

The VO didn't greet me and so I didn't bother as well. (Over sabi isn't necessary)

V.O: Can I have your passport
I passed it

V.O: Your I20 as well
I passed it

V.O: How old are you?
ME: I am......years old

V.O: Where are you going to in the U.S (didn't hear her initially so I said "pardon" before i will say what i wasn't asked)
ME: I'm going to for Masters Degree Program at the American University Washington DC

V.O: Who is paying for your studies
ME: My dad is paying. However I got a merit based scholarship award from my school.

V.O: Yea I can see that, and it is really a huge amount. And you also have funds?
ME: Yes I do, cos I am presently working

V.O: What do you do at your place of work
ME: I told her...

V.O: Wow all that? (With a smile on her face)
ME: I smiled as well and told her the 3 basic things and broke it down ( that was y it seems kinda much to her, i think)

At that point she already picked the white paper and placed it "our" front.

V.O: She now asked that (considering my roles) so why am i going for international law and legal studies that it seems i am into domestic law alone.
ME: No i actually also have dealings with foreign clients and I was privileged to be among the team in my office who gave legal opinion on a case involving Econet Telecommunication...*VO Cuts in*

VO: So you are coming back to take up your job (at that point she already pushed the white paper to my front)

ME: I told her yes and that as a matter of fact I was just giving 18months study leave and expected back in the office 8th January 2019

VO: (She passed the white paper to me) and told me to have a nice time in the U.S
ME: (with a big grin of smile on my face) I said THANKS!!!

That was it...she didn't even type anything on her screen...she looked the screen like prolly just twice there about...looked at me...and you know...that's all

All I can say is that it was just God coshonestly I was scared...from the start of it all. The application and all. But in it all I give glory to God and thanks a lot Walspring and Joeluv also the transcript posted by others also was of immense help.

This is my little way of giving back to the house.

P.S I submitted my DS 160 even beforepaying for interview ...you know a lot wasn't right about my app...DS 160 has some missingquestions.

Through it all I give God the glory.

To.All still expectant, I.pray the God who showed me mercy and favoured me will also show you mercy and favour you and not give you a strict V.O like the one in window 7.

Congrats and in all let's give the thanks to God.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2017
sobastical:

Cc: walspring

Lol... grin grin grin grin

Thanks for today.. Twale!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2017
Emmyirab:
Visa denied few minutes ago. Lagos embassy.

Vo- Where are you going to in the US?
Me- Brigham Young University Idaho
Vo- why did you choose ByuI?
Me- Apart from the fact that they have great mentorship programs
They offer great domain for real life related projects for undergraduates, for example earlier this year, a technology building was erected and equipped with materials like candence simulator and 3d printers. I believe this kinda place will help me achieve my dreams of being a practising engineer when i graduate
(she was just cutting me off here and switching off the mic, she was being introduced to someone. this kinda made me stammer)
Vo- Are you mormon?
Me- No
Vo-How many schools did you apply to?
Me- 3 then named them
Vo- why did you apply to only Midwest schools?
Me- (this really took me off balance, i wasn't expecting it)
I just thought of one rubbish and said because of the weather(me know say i done mess up) She raised her eyebrow. then I said schools in the Midwest had great domain for real life related projects(nonsense upon rubbish).
(from here i just wanted to say don't worry give me my passport and i20, i know whats next..)
Vo-How did you hear about the school?
Me- a friend who is a student of the school told me bout it then I did my research.
Vo-Do you have a relative there?
Me-No
Vo- Sorry bla bla bla bla bla.

Reapplying soon though
who know the next available date.
Cc: Texrem, Lagosismyhome, Walspring

Before you reapply check if the resumption is not near and also check available date

I wish you all the best
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ajibayo4: 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2017
kallowdean:
If you need Dollars for Application fee, TOEFL or GRE.
Buzz me up with a PM because I need Naira desperately...
My rate is flexible and negotiable.
I'll link you up with my official college email & US line to know I'm legit.

But, Please if you know you are so unwilling to pay first, don't bother sending me a PM.
Thank you.

i have someone who wants to book a connecting flight from JFK to California.
beep me if you want me to link you upo, so urgent
travelling by moinday

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.