Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,158 members, 7,821,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (189) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (699271 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gokuu(m): 11:45pm On Aug 30, 2017
Emexnairaland:
I see! Learn to be kind to people, that's all.

Pardon me for taking a moment of levity. It wasn't meant as a slight, I was just being realistic.

I think it's important to also consider the career prospects when applying to graduate programs; you want to know about graduate recruitment and the possibility of getting an employer that can sponsor you for the H1B especially if you want to stay over in America and garner work experience.

This is even more important because republicans have total control of the US government and have vowed a very muscular immigration policy.

I guess I just think there are other considerations that we want to look at.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Hbaba: 1:43am On Aug 31, 2017
Emexnairaland:
I see! Learn to be kind to people, that's all.

I have not heard the name of the sch before actually. But I don't know why people judge by school name. Would you say Olabisi Onabanjo Uni is not a good schl for law? Make proper research on the school and not what the name sounds like. Let us not mislead people here.

The requester too should take his time and search on usnews gradcafe to know more about this school if is worth it or not

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by alexandersherif: 3:06am On Aug 31, 2017
Gospelozy:
Thank you gurus in the house for your advice. Please can you recommend any good schools where I can do MSC in chemistry. Thanks all

U can check missouri western university.... I fink is a nice sch n funded with scholarship
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ardedaryor(m): 3:11am On Aug 31, 2017
harrycool:
Hi everyone, a friend of mine has a HND. Does ECE evaluate HND Certificate? and are they faster than WES?
Thanks.

Funnyguy83:
have this guy sinned ? lagos mummy please answer this guy . I will equally benefit from it

So surprising undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Who do you expect to do your home work for you?
I doubt if anyone here work at ECE (I might be wrong tho), you can save yourself some time by checking ECE website or Mail them....

Manner won't fall, those days are gone

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 3:54am On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I do not think I implied that in any of my posts above. 1.75/5.0 may come out to be around 2.5/4.0. Which is because, F grades are not included as part of the WES-evaluated CGPA, also all our Es are converted to C on the US scale, our Ds to C+, our Cs to B, our B to B+ and A remains A, which tends to bump up your final WES CGPA by a few points after evaluation. That is the official WES evaluation scale and why WES remains the most favorable of all evaluation scales.

Those with lower GPAs on our Nigerian scale (results that have more of Cs, Ds, Es and Fs) tend to see more bump ups in their US-evaluated GPAs compared to those with higher GPAs on our scale (their results have more of As, Bs and Cs etc.), because of the more points the change from E to C, D to C+, C to B gives compared to B to B+, A remains A, etc. I hope that makes sense.

The moment lagos mummy endorsed your skills in GPA conversion, I took back my comment on "Nairaland voodooism".

Honestly, this is quite informative.

But on reflection, don't you think this could make WES unpopular amongst colleges.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by skido04: 3:58am On Aug 31, 2017
hello gurus in the house. I need help,
I have a BSc. in Computer Science with a CGPA of 3.69/5 . I want to further my studies by applying for Ms. in cyber security
the challenges I'm having is finding a good and affordable University that offers Ms. in cyber security. Most of them just offer Ms. in computer science, but my area of interest is really on cyber security. I have searched thoroughly with Google like most people here will advice, I still haven't found a solution to this, now I'm depending on you guys for valuable information from experiences. I ll be writing Toefl in 2 weeks and gre in october and i need schools to add, so they can send results there. . Any direction will be greatly appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 4:17am On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:
I have a BSc. in Computer Science with a CGPA of 3.69/5 . I want to further my studies by applying for Ms. in cyber security
the challenges I'm having is finding a good and affordable University that offers Ms. in cyber security. Most of them just offer Ms. in computer science, but my area of interest is really on cyber security. I have searched thoroughly with Google like most people here will advice, I still haven't found a solution to this, now I'm depending on you guys for valuable information from experiences. I ll be writing Toefl in 2 weeks and gre in october and i need schools to add, so they can send results there. . Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Check here for US colleges:
https://www.masterstudies.com/MSc/IT/Cyber-Security/USA/

However, as per the most affordable no harm in trying this, in case you're not aware such Program exists in Nigeria.

Professional Master’s Degree in Cyber Security (MCS)
https://nsuk.edu.ng/directorates/ccs/

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sgttanner: 4:40am On Aug 31, 2017
Hello gurus in the house.. i hope you all are doing fine. May the Lord continue to bless you all ... I actually wanna apply to a school in the USA and i came accross EDMONDS Community College(ECC) for the spring session 2018.. I am 25 years , already had my B.TECH from a Nigerian university in urban and regional planning, graduated with a GPA of (2.89/5) and i am planning to take a Degree Program in Construction Management so that i can get a transfer into a university for a masters program after completing the 2 years degree program......ECC doesnt require TOEFL and GRE for international students who had their undergraduate in English...Now my question is, Wont my age and my past educational record be a sort of a slight barrier when applying for a student visa at the embassy ( in terms of the probability of getting a visa) ? because i was just wondering i might ask by the consular why i have decided not to take a Toefl or GRE exam and apply for a direct masters.(just wondering)
Then secondly, i have applied for a visiting visa this year where i was planning to visit my cousin but i was denied? i hope that wont be a barrier for me either ?( in short , hope the attempted visiting visa record does not affect my educational visa application?)
Hoping to get your replies soon ..Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 5:01am On Aug 31, 2017
Sgttanner:
Hello gurus in the house.. i hope you all are doing fine. May the Lord continue to bless you all ... I actually wanna apply to a school in the USA and i came accross EDMONDS Community College(ECC) for the spring session 2018.. I am 25 years , already had my B.TECH from a Nigerian university in urban and regional planning, graduated with a GPA of (2.89/5) and i am planning to take a Degree Program in Construction Management so that i can get a transfer into a university for a masters program after completing the 2 years degree program......ECC doesnt require TOEFL and GRE for international students who had their undergraduate in English...Now my question is, Wont my age and my past educational record be a sort of a slight barrier when applying for a student visa at the embassy ( in terms of the probability of getting a visa) ? because i was just wondering i might ask by the consular why i have decided not to take a Toefl or GRE exam and apply for a direct masters.(just wondering)
Then secondly, i have applied for a visiting visa this year where i was planning to visit my cousin but i was denied? i hope that wont be a barrier for me either ?( in short , hope the attempted visiting visa record does not affect my educational visa application?)
Hoping to get your replies soon ..Thanks in anticipation.

Some comments here address some of your concerns.

bigfrancis21:

How old are you? Are you over 25? If no I would have recommended going for another bachelors degree (applying to both a community college and a university, obtaining your visa with the university and transferring to the CC upon entry into the US and starting school there), however one's chances of getting the US student visa for an undergraduate student over 22/23 are slimmer. If you were to go for a graduate program, then your best bet would be to convert your transcript using WES (the most favorable conversion tool ever). Someone I know recently converted and his GPA on the Nigerian scale is 1.99/5.0, which came out to be approximately 2.6/4.0, thus making him eligible to apply to US schools with 2.5/4.0 minimum GPA requirement, schools such as Bowie State University, Morgan State University, etc. Your 1.75/5.0 may come out to be at around 2.5/4.0 but you can be sure if you use WES conversion tool online to confirm that and if it does reach 2.5/4.0 then thank your lucky stars that you do have a chance at graduate studies here in the US. You need to have a copy of your transcript for this. I strongly recommend taking the GRE exam to boost your academic profile as your very low GPA isn't helping you at all. Goodluck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 5:18am On Aug 31, 2017
cosade:

The moment lagos mummy endorsed your skills in GPA conversion, I took back my comment on "Nairaland voodooism".

Honestly, this quite informative.

But on reflection, don't you think this could make WES unpopular amongst colleges.

Lolll....thanks. grin@nairaland voodooism.

Not really. In fact, WES happens to be the most popular among its peers such as ECE etc. I have seen some schools whereby the only evaluation they accept is WES, due to the fact that WES performs a verification of transcripts and certificates after the school and candidate respectively have sent both to WES, thus ensuring integrity and originality of evaluations, compared to others that do not perform this verification.

Most US schools do not include F grades in GPA calculation, except only in the year it was passed, though the failed course is indicated in the session it was failed. Inclusion of F grades in GPA calculation is a Nigerian thing. The reason 1.75/5.00 seems too low is because the GPA includes failed courses, whereas US GPA calculations do not, and her GPA would probably be 2.2/5.0 or 2.3/5.00 if calculated without the failed courses like the US does, which explains why when evaluated to the US scale, 2.5/4.0 (or 2.2/5.0 or 2.3/5.0 Nigerian scale without the failed courses included) seems plausible. WES is a life saver for many people. Even people with ND (2 years) and HND (2 years), who hitherto were disqualified from applying directly to masters courses in most US schools, will evaluate their WES into an equivalent 4-year US bachelors degree and apply for masters admission directly with their WES bachelors evaluation.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 5:48am On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Not really. In fact, WES happens to be the most popular among its peers such as ECE etc. I have seen some schools whereby the only evaluation they accept is WES, due to the fact that WES performs a verification of transcripts and certificates after the school and candidate respectively have sent both to WES, thus ensuring integrity and originality of evaluations, compared to others that do not perform this verification.

Most US schools do not include F grades in GPA calculation, except only in the year it was passed, though the failed course is indicated in the session it was failed. Inclusion of F grades in GPA calculation is a Nigerian thing. The reason 1.75/5.00 seems too low is because the GPA includes failed courses, whereas US GPA calculations do not, and her GPA would probably be 2.2/5.0 or 2.3/5.00 if calculated without the failed courses like the US does, which explains why when evaluated to the US scale, 2.5/4.0 (or 2.2/5.0 or 2.3/5.0 Nigerian scale without the failed courses included) seems plausible. WES is a life saver for many people. Even people with ND (2 years) and HND (2 years), who hitherto were disqualified from applying directly to masters courses in most US schools, will evaluate their WES into an equivalent 4-year US bachelors degree and apply for masters admission directly with their WES bachelors evaluation.

GPA 101 - Intro to GPA Conversion
Lecturer: bigfrancis21

wink cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sgttanner: 5:49am On Aug 31, 2017
cosade:

Some comments here address some of your concerns.

thanks for the quick response sir/ma ,, but you didnt answer the second question
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by abeolas: 6:58am On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Check out University of Texas El Paso. Your 3.69/5.00 GPA would be around 3.3/4.0 (+/- 0.05) using WES evaluation, thus qualifying you to apply.

Depending on their masters programs, some require the GRE exam, some do not.

http://www.utep.edu/graduate/admissions-and-academics/degrees-and-programs.html#proginfo

For example, some courses under the faculty of sciences as seen below require the GRE exam and some do not.

http://www.utep.edu/graduate/_Files/docs/admission-and-enrollment/contact-sheets/science2.pdf

Thanks so much bigfrancis...the information is appreciated
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by abeolas: 7:00am On Aug 31, 2017
Good morning house..please i need info on any school in new york that offers graduate programs in engineering without GRE
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by whyqueu(m): 7:23am On Aug 31, 2017
Hello guys, anyone in Arkansas State University joneboro Please I need some information about the school abeg
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Emexnairaland(m): 8:19am On Aug 31, 2017
Please does anyone else know better about this school?
Emexnairaland:
Greetings, God bless you guys for being source of knowledge to others....
Please does anyone know better about Point Park University Pittsburgh? I have really made some research about them but I need your personal views about the school as I intend applying for my post graduate study there.

Please the view is open to the gurus in the house...

Respect
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 31, 2017
Emexnairaland:
Please does anyone else know better about this school?
Hahahahah. Just Google the school my brother. No one here knows every school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gokuu(m): 10:23am On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Oh now I see; it's much clearer now.

But the schools I'm applying to have not asked for any conversion. Could it be that they have their own internal evaluation process?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 11:33am On Aug 31, 2017
abeolas:
Good morning house..please i need info on any school in new york that offers graduate programs in engineering without GRE

So while someone is getting you this info, what would you be doing? Sleeping?

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Akuta28: 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hello house, please has anyone filled their DS 160 form as of late? I want to know if there are still dates for interviews opened for September as my school resumes October 4th. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by sobastical: 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2017
LagosismyHome:

lol.......I no understand the English ooo

Hahaha. ..okay o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by sobastical: 12:23pm On Aug 31, 2017
TWoods:

So while someone is getting you this info, what would you be doing? Sleeping?

imagine o
The same effort and data he used in posting the request should have been used in making personal research and he uses Google daily oo... my country people sha
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Ardedaryor(m): 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
My good people, I entered the US on 29th flew with Lufthansa airline from Abj to Frankfurt,
United airline from Frankfort to Chicago
United airline from Chicago to Salt Lake City

The Services wasn't below expectation, twas just like I was the Co-pilot with the Flight map feature, Food was nice.
CBP was also smooth..if you processed your admission yourself, you should have no fear,
I was asked
What's my purpose of coming?
What's my course of study?
Who is financing?
What's are the Food stuffs I have with me?

Boom!! Welcome to America...
I Claim my baggage and re-checked in for a transit to SLC,
It was a safe land at SLC airport, but so sadden my second Bag was mishandle(couldn't find it),I laid complains at the UA office, they said its was its at Chicago and they reassuringly told me it will be delivered to my address the next day..i checked the status online all I see is "we are still looking for your Bag".. I start to wonder if the bag has turn to a needle..

All the best to those awaiting admission decision, you couldn't get your Visa? use this time to cover all ground again next semester what is yours will come to you...

Pardon my Typo if any. wink

14 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by skido04: 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2017
cosade:

Check here for US colleges:
https://www.masterstudies.com/MSc/IT/Cyber-Security/USA/

However, as per the most affordable no harm in trying this, in case you're not aware such Program exists in Nigeria.

Professional Master’s Degree in Cyber Security (MCS)
https://nsuk.edu.ng/directorates/ccs/

thank you very much. I already did BSc computer science here, I know how sh*t it was , with all the theories/no practical/outdated topics, and lecturers playing God, not ready to try it again, I want better. by affordable, I meant school that are not so costly. I know it ll always be costlier than Nigerian schools.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Moriiiiiiii(f): 1:49pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hello house, my evaluated transcripts is with SDR Texas .Please I don't know how to pay them to transfer the documents to the praire view A and M university. Please help a soul am new here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Moriiiiiiii(f): 2:13pm On Aug 31, 2017
folmus:

check your spam folder or drop your email if you are comfortable with it and delete it later.

Please fomlus I need your help too...my documents is in SDR Texas just don't know how to pay them to transfer the document to praire view A&M university.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
Moriiiiiiii:

Please fomlus I need your help too...my documents is in SDR Texas just don't know how to pay them to transfer the document to praire view A&M university.

Were you told you can pay to transfer document?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scoreall: 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:
U can check Georgia Tech. Bt u must av 100 in TOEFL, university of Maryland Baltimore county
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:

thank you very much. I already did BSc computer science here, I know how sh*t it was , with all the theories/no practical/outdated topics, and lecturers playing God, not ready to try it again, I want better. by affordable, I meant school that are not so costly. I know it ll always be costlier than Nigerian schools.

I hope you're not comparing Computer Science in Nigeria with the one here. Personally, I would say you're better off going for MS in Computer Science to get your basics back together and then you can take few courses relating to cyber security in school..just also study for and take some professional exams as well. If you're not a US citizen or Permanent resident, jobs relating to cyber security might be tough to come by. With CS, you have more post-grad opportunities as well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hello people,

I'd appreciate all the advice I can get about opting for a Ph.D in fall 2018 with just a B.Sc Microbiology (CGPA 3.73/4.00 using WES ).
I'm currently preparing to write GRE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 4:24pm On Aug 31, 2017
Moriiiiiiii:
Hello house, my evaluated transcripts is with SDR Texas .Please I don't know how to pay them to transfer the documents to the praire view A and M university. Please help a soul am new here

You should have done your homework BEFORE sending anything for evaluation. It's amazing how lazy and lacking and in imagination many of us are.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 4:27pm On Aug 31, 2017
gokuu:

Oh now I see; it's much clearer now.

But the schools I'm applying to have not asked for any conversion. Could it be that they have their own internal evaluation process?

Yes, most likely. Schools that do not require external evaluation often have their own internal evaluation process, so all you need to do is send them your direct transcript.

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.