Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,349 members, 7,836,417 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (705672 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 4:29pm On Aug 31, 2017
Akdegreat:
Hello people,

I'd appreciate all the advice I can get about opting for a Ph.D in fall 2018 with just a B.Sc Microbiology (CGPA 3.73/4.00 using WES ).
I'm currently preparing to write GRE.

Check out University of Texas El Paso and University of Texas Tyler.

https://science.utep.edu/biology/index.php/2014-04-22-20-30-52/graduate/doctoral-programs-ph-d-in-biological-sciences

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 4:33pm On Aug 31, 2017
Moriiiiiiii:
Hello house, my evaluated transcripts is with SDR Texas .Please I don't know how to pay them to transfer the documents to the praire view A and M university. Please help a soul am new here

I'm sorry but SDR Texas may not release that transcript. Any document sent to a university/educational institution is final and becomes a property of the school and may not be released under most circumstances.

Your way out is to pay the evaluation agency to forward another copy to prairie view. For WES, it is only $30.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Jamezy4u: 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
So detailed, straight to the point, analytical and informative. Its coming from real knowledge!

Thumps Up

Weldon!!!!!!

bigfrancis21:

Lolll....thanks. grin@nairaland voodooism.

Not really. In fact, WES happens to be the most popular among its peers such as ECE etc. I have seen some schools whereby the only evaluation they accept is WES, due to the fact that WES performs a verification of transcripts and certificates after the school and candidate respectively have sent both to WES, thus ensuring integrity and originality of evaluations, compared to others that do not perform this verification.

Most US schools do not include F grades in GPA calculation, except only in the year it was passed, though the failed course is indicated in the session it was failed. Inclusion of F grades in GPA calculation is a Nigerian thing. The reason 1.75/5.00 seems too low is because the GPA includes failed courses, whereas US GPA calculations do not, and her GPA would probably be 2.2/5.0 or 2.3/5.00 if calculated without the failed courses like the US does, which explains why when evaluated to the US scale, 2.5/4.0 (or 2.2/5.0 or 2.3/5.0 Nigerian scale without the failed courses included) seems plausible. WES is a life saver for many people. Even people with ND (2 years) and HND (2 years), who hitherto were disqualified from applying directly to masters courses in most US schools, will evaluate their WES into an equivalent 4-year US bachelors degree and apply for masters admission directly with their WES bachelors evaluation.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2017
Sgttanner:
Hello gurus in the house.. i hope you all are doing fine. May the Lord continue to bless you all ... I actually wanna apply to a school in the USA and i came accross EDMONDS Community College(ECC) for the spring session 2018.. I am 25 years , already had my B.TECH from a Nigerian university in urban and regional planning, graduated with a GPA of (2.89/5) and i am planning to take a Degree Program in Construction Management so that i can get a transfer into a university for a masters program after completing the 2 years degree program......ECC doesnt require TOEFL and GRE for international students who had their undergraduate in English...Now my question is, Wont my age and my past educational record be a sort of a slight barrier when applying for a student visa at the embassy ( in terms of the probability of getting a visa) ? because i was just wondering i might ask by the consular why i have decided not to take a Toefl or GRE exam and apply for a direct masters.(just wondering)
Then secondly, i have applied for a visiting visa this year where i was planning to visit my cousin but i was denied? i hope that wont be a barrier for me either ?( in short , hope the attempted visiting visa record does not affect my educational visa application?)
Hoping to get your replies soon ..Thanks in anticipation.

First of all, you need to know this. Community colleges offer only 2-year programs (leading to associate bachelors degree), whereas universities offer 4-year programs (leading to regular bachelors degrees), and you cannot go directly from a CC into a master's program. You would first have to transfer to a university to finish up third year and fourth year to obtain a bachelor's degree before you can proceed on to masters.

Second, it has been said here severally that it is not recommended that you take a CC admission to the embassy, due to higher chances of denial by the VO. Yet, people keep asking this same question again and again. CCs are good, and offer the same level/quality of education as universities, and save you a ton of money in school fees, and are recommended for people tight on funds. What you do is apply to both a university and the CC of your choice, get admission and I-20 from both, take the university admission to the embassy for your visa interview but transfer (SEVIS transfer) to the CC after you arrive the US and start school there.

Third, your age is no more in the range the visa officers like to give visas for UG students and I would have suggested that you go for masters admission instead and do your masters right away upon arrival. Now, as for getting admission from a university and cc, I do not know if transferring from a university with a masters admission to a CC for associate bachelors would work given that one of the requirements for SEVIS transfer after you enter the US is that the transfer has to be for the same level of study. I am sure the transfer would work if the admission from the university is for bachelors and you are transferring to the cc for associate bachelors degree (same level of study). But then your age puts you at a disadvantage (not impossible, I have one time seen a 28-year old guy going for bachelors get his visa) of getting your visa for undergraduate studies.

Your situation is quite a tough one. My recommendation would be to go for masters admission straight.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 5:05pm On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:
hello gurus in the house. I need help,
I have a BSc. in Computer Science with a CGPA of 3.69/5 . I want to further my studies by applying for Ms. in cyber security
the challenges I'm having is finding a good and affordable University that offers Ms. in cyber security. Most of them just offer Ms. in computer science, but my area of interest is really on cyber security. I have searched thoroughly with Google like most people here will advice, I still haven't found a solution to this, now I'm depending on you guys for valuable information from experiences. I ll be writing Toefl in 2 weeks and gre in october and i need schools to add, so they can send results there. . Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

1) Check out the MS in IT program at UTEP with specialization in Cybersecurity:
http://catalog.utep.edu/grad/college-of-engineering/computer-science/information-technology-ms/

Requirements for Admission
Applicants must have earned a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited university. Students apply through the Graduate School by submitting an application and the following supporting materials:
Official transcripts of all previous academic work
Official scores on the Gradate Record Exam (GRE)
official scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if required
Personal Statement of Purpose
Minimum of two letters of recommendation
A CV/resume with evidence of other relevant experience

TOEFL is waived for Nigerian students so you only need to provide the GRE score and their tuition is quite affordable. Applications are currently being accepted for Spring 2018 (January) so if you are interested you need to start right away.

2) Can you afford $9,000 per semester? If yes, then I welcome you to apply to the MS in Cybersecurity program, University of Maryland College Park. They are giving out application fee waivers for those applying to non-thesis based Engineering master's programs for Spring and Fall 2018. But the school fees no be here o (though you should see it as an investment because of good job chances upon graduation where you'll make all that money back). UMD tuition for Cybersecurity (given how hot in demand it is now) is one of the cheapest I've seen for MS in Cybersecurity ($932 per credit compared to as high as $1350 per credit for other schools).

https://advancedengineering.umd.edu/cybersecurity
https://advancedengineering.umd.edu/application-process

Requirements for Admission
Bachelors degree in a relevant field with a GPA of 3.0/4.0 (directly equivalent to 3.0/5.0 Nigerian scale)
GRE is waived (program is non-thesis based, designed for working professionals who intend to move on to the work force upon graduation)
3 letters of recommendation
Official transcripts
TOEFL is waived for Nigerian students
$75 application fee is waived for Spring and Fall 2018 semester applications.
Submitted online application
Statement of purpose
Resume (CV)
Application deadline for Spring 2018 is September 29.

For UMD and UTEP, when applying online you only need to upload a scanned copy of your transcript to apply for admission. After they give you admission, then they will email you to have your undergraduate university forward an official copy to either or both of them (as you wish) before they release your official admission letter. The next step after that would be processing your I-20.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sgttanner: 5:06pm On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

First of all, you need to know this. Community colleges offer only 2-year programs (leading to associate bachelors degree), whereas universities offer 4-year programs (leading to regular bachelors degrees), and you cannot go directly from a CC into a master's program. You would first have to transfer to a university to finish up third year and fourth year to obtain a bachelor's degree before you can proceed on to masters.

Second, it has been said here severally that it is not recommended that you take a CC admission to the embassy, due to higher chances of denial by the VO. Yet, people keep asking this same question again and again. CCs are good, and offer the same level/quality of education as universities, and save you a ton of money in school fees, and are recommended for people tight on funds. What you do is apply to both a university and the CC of your choice, get admission and I-20 from both, take the university admission to the embassy for your visa interview but transfer (SEVIS transfer) to the CC after you arrive the US and start school there.

Third, your age is no more in the range the visa officers like to give visas for UG students and I would have suggested that you go for masters admission instead and do your masters right away upon arrival. Now, as for getting admission from a university and cc, I do not know if transferring from a university with a masters admission to a CC for associate bachelors would work given that one of the requirements for SEVIS transfer after you enter the US is that the transfer has to be for the same level of study. I am sure the transfer would work if the admission from the university is for bachelors and you are transferring to the cc for associate bachelors degree (same level of study). But then your age puts you at a disadvantage (not impossible, I have one time seen a 28-year old guy going for bachelors get his visa) of getting your visa for undergraduate studies.

Your situation is quite a tough one. My recommendation would be to go for masters admission straight.
Thank you so much and God bless you for the insight.. I really appreciate... Once again... I say a very big thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scoreall: 6:58pm On Aug 31, 2017
biikeys:

I hope you're not comparing Computer Science in Nigeria with the one here. Personally, I would say you're better off going for MS in Computer Science to get your basics back together and then you can take few courses relating to cyber security in school..just also study for and take some professional exams as well. If you're not a US citizen or Permanent resident, jobs relating to cyber security might be tough to come by. With CS, you have more post-grad opportunities as well.
Plz can u state d basis 4 ds assumption? Cos live may depends on it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by obaxlove(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

No problem. Simply walk into any GT bank nearest to you with your international passport and $160 F1 visa fee in hand (in naira equivalency, the US embassy uses N400 exchange rate I think, not sure) and make your payment before the 3pm cut-off time.

Is your visa interview for Fall 2017 or Spring 2018?

Spring
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Gospelozy(f): 8:22pm On Aug 31, 2017
Please gurus, when you get a school,do you write to them direct or to their lecturers. Cos I have written to some lecturers in two schools but no reply yet. So how am I to go about it? Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:29pm On Aug 31, 2017
scoreall:

Plz can u state d basis 4 ds assumption? Cos live may depends on it.

things like cyber security will be tightly controlled except if you are working for yourself developing your own program or some private company so that in itself is limiting .... There might have a lot of cyber security jobs in government agencies but you trust that will only be allowed for US Citizens or permanent residency ..

Also with company science you are not as limited as focusing only on cyber security because Computer /IT is wide and can fit into many various roles , Implementation, support , development , maintance and then even cyber and many other roles ....... I am into IT implementation , don't ask me how I got there because I don't even know how I put my head there . But this role is a very good fit for someone with a computer background as system things will be so easy to pick up ...

as I no want to be hungry I am forced to pick up or learn IT quickly but not because it comes naturally but more of need to survive

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by joshtune: 8:36pm On Aug 31, 2017
Ardedaryor:
My good people, I entered the US on 29th flew with Lufthansa airline from Abj to Frankfurt,
United airline from Frankfort to Chicago
United airline from Chicago to Salt Lake City

The Services wasn't below expectation, twas just like I was the Co-pilot with the Flight map feature, Food was nice.
CBP was also smooth..if you processed your admission yourself, you should have no fear,
I was asked
What's my purpose of coming?
What's my course of study?
Who is financing?
What's are the Food stuffs I have with me?

Boom!! Welcome to America...
I Claim my baggage and re-checked in for a transit to SLC,
It was a safe land at SLC airport, but so sadden my second Bag was mishandle(couldn't find it),I laid complains at the UA office, they said its was its at Chicago and they reassuringly told me it will be delivered to my address the next day..i checked the status online all I see is "we are still looking for your Bag".. I start to wonder if the bag has turn to a needle..

All the best to those awaiting admission decision, you couldn't get your Visa? use this time to cover all ground again next semester what is yours will come to you...

Pardon my Typo if any. wink

Welcome to the promise land bro. I hope you enjoy Utah!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:39pm On Aug 31, 2017
Sgttanner:
Hello gurus in the house.. i hope you all are doing fine. May the Lord continue to bless you all ... I actually wanna apply to a school in the USA and i came accross EDMONDS Community College(ECC) for the spring session 2018.. I am 25 years , already had my B.TECH from a Nigerian university in urban and regional planning, graduated with a GPA of (2.89/5) and i am planning to take a Degree Program in Construction Management so that i can get a transfer into a university for a masters program after completing the 2 years degree program......ECC doesnt require TOEFL and GRE for international students who had their undergraduate in English...Now my question is, Wont my age and my past educational record be a sort of a slight barrier when applying for a student visa at the embassy ( in terms of the probability of getting a visa) ? because i was just wondering i might ask by the consular why i have decided not to take a Toefl or GRE exam and apply for a direct masters.(just wondering)
Then secondly, i have applied for a visiting visa this year where i was planning to visit my cousin but i was denied? i hope that wont be a barrier for me either ?( in short , hope the attempted visiting visa record does not affect my educational visa application?)
Hoping to get your replies soon ..Thanks in anticipation.

if you are truly want to school to take you to the next step then why would you spend another 4 years and even spend money to get a bachelors degree that you already have....4 years is a lot of time to be back to Bachelors again as that is the pathway after 2 years CC

Its only here in Nairaland I see this pattern and I always wonder why ......... That money you spend for a 4 years program best to gather it and do an MSC or MSC/PHD . Also correction after 2 years you cannot then transfer to a master program . That not how it works except you mean after 2 years then you apply for a masters using your Btech previous degree . If that the plan then what the need of the 2 years CC .....

Check google and understand the educational pathway for associate degree (CC), Bsc and masters
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by joshtune: 8:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
LagosismyHome:

things like cyber security will be tightly controlled except if you are working for yourself developing your own program or some private company so that in itself is limiting .... There might have a lot of cyber security jobs in government agencies but you trust that will only be allowed for US Citizens or permanent residency ..

Also with company science you are not as limited as focusing only on cyber security because Computer /IT is wide and can fit into many various roles , Implementation, support , development , maintance and then even cyber and many other roles ....... I am into IT implementation , don't ask me how I got there because I don't even know how I put my head there . But this role is a very good fit for someone with a computer background as system things will be so easy to pick up ...

as I no want to be hungry I am forced to pick up or learn IT quickly but not because it comes naturally but more of need to survive

Please I want to ask How easy is it for someone with zero knowledge of computer science to venture into the field in the US? Or for someone who has no love for mathematics to survive learning Comp Sci as a minor? For someone like me who will be majoring in business admin. does it make sense or is it possible?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:49pm On Aug 31, 2017
Emexnairaland:
Greetings, God bless you guys for being source of knowledge to others....
Please does anyone know better about Point Park University Pittsburgh? I have really made some research about them but I need your personal views about the school as I intend applying for my post graduate study there.

Please the view is open to the gurus in the house...

Respect

Never heard of this school ......2 minute research shows its a very small private school . I think what you would get from this school you get from anyother school and more so you must have made a good reason why you picked it .. So why this school ?

also I saw this on google; Tuition and fees at Point Park University are $28,250 USD without financial aid. With room, board, and other fees combined, total cost of attendance is $42,370 USD...............

If that the fee and you have no funding , If it me I rather pay that money not to a very small school but a much bigger or well established school

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:53pm On Aug 31, 2017
joshtune:

Please I want to ask How easy is it for someone with zero knowledge of computer science to venture into the field in the US? Or for someone who has no love for mathematics to survive learning Comp Sci as a minor? For someone like me who will be majoring in business admin. does it make sense or is it possible?

well I don't know for sure .... its hard to say . With everything if you put in the hardwork you might just make it a success . Everything depends on the person , sometimes the school,its network and recruiting prospect and sometimes just luck .

yes for some computer jobs , they can prefer those with work experience but there are a lot of entry level position as well and adding certifications and extra handon training can help sell your market too ... .......so I cannot say but if you go for it , you have to go into it giving it your best and staying positive
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by skido04: 8:56pm On Aug 31, 2017
LagosismyHome:

bro, I just graduated 2015, my basics are in order. I have also worked in different companies, some of them as a product implementation and support officer, if you read my initial post, you see I already have BSc in computer science, Ms in cyber security is an addition and somewhat of a specialization. or do you think my computer science certificate won't be considered while looking for a job? I need more clarification on the things you stated
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 9:02pm On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:

bro, I just graduated 2015, my basics are in order. I have also worked in different companies, some of them as a product implementation and support officer, if you read my initial post, you see I already have BSc in computer science, Ms in cyber security is an addition and somewhat of a specialization. or do you think my computer science certificate won't be considered while looking for a job? I need more clarification on the things you stated

Oya Bro, different monikers for you, it was Lagos mummy, now bro grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:03pm On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:

female.. See I corrected it in 1 second grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:03pm On Aug 31, 2017
folmus:

Oya Bro, different monikers for you, it was Lagos mummy, now bro grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin......wow faster fingers . Nice one
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by skido04: 9:04pm On Aug 31, 2017
joshtune:

This question depends soely on your determination and love for the the field (IT) , I wasn't all that good in mathematics before studying computer science, but along the way I found out that there's no escaping from it, it's almost 70%maths 30% computer, but believe me, you ll adapt, and before my final yr, all I wanted was for questions with math problem to avoid stress of reading and reading, so to answer you, there's a lot of mathematics, and it ll be hard for you initially, but if you read well, you ll pass, also I want to believe the system there is less stressful than ours. goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by skido04: 9:07pm On Aug 31, 2017
LagosismyHome:

female.. See I corrected it in 1 second grin
sorry about that. correction taken
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:13pm On Aug 31, 2017
skido04:

well if you want something then go for it ............ If its that what you want then yeap you still have a good background in computer so go for it . Just be ready for any limitation and know how you can then package yourself to overcome it or enhance yourself

Let me give you a name from one of our Nairaland family . Don't know if he still comes here . He should be in his second year now Cybersecruity so he should give you some guidance . Send him a PM

cc masquellett
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Emexnairaland(m): 9:27pm On Aug 31, 2017
I am grateful for your response, I am actually going for MBA majoring in International Business. The cost is $16848 USD per year for the programme. Please how did you see the cost effectiveness. Also does the size of a school determine how well the school is established? Am just asking because I got no idea of it.
Respect
LagosismyHome:

Never heard of this school ......2 minute research shows its a very small private school . I think what you would get from this school you get from anyother school and more so you must have made a good reason why you picked it .. So why this school ?

also I saw this on google; Tuition and fees at Point Park University are $28,250 USD without financial aid. With room, board, and other fees combined, total cost of attendance is $42,370 USD...............

If that the fee and you have no funding , If it me I rather pay that money not to a very small school but a much bigger or well established school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by chinemomah2020(m): 9:33pm On Aug 31, 2017
@Bigfrancis, Am really loving the way you respond to questions, it's just so unique. you are truly a guru..welldone Boss!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by abeolas: 10:17pm On Aug 31, 2017
boneruns:

Thank you @bigfrancis.....is a student that is being offered admission required to make a payment of any form for deferment of admission?

And secondly, would there be a problem should a student ignore the school upon arrival to the USA?

Bro, sent you a PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by sirhamilton(m): 10:21pm On Aug 31, 2017
I wish everyone would respond to queries like Lagosismyhome and Bigfancis . Noticed how the thread has been void of snide comments so far ?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by abeolas: 10:21pm On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Thank you @bigfrancis.....is a student that is being offered admission required to make a payment of any form for deferment of admission?

And secondly, would there be a problem should a student ignore the school upon arrival to the USA?

I am an alumnus of UMD myself, and I finished my masters program in December 2015. UMD is really a good school to be in and an admission from UMD is at least 95% assurance of getting your visa. Hardly are UMD students denied their visas. The UMD graduate school offers two types of engineering masters programs: thesis based (very competitive, requires GRE scores etc. and is for those intending to proceed on to PhD) and non-thesis based (offered by the Office of Advanced Engineering Education, GRE is waived, TOEFL waived for Nigerian students, not as competitive and for those intending to proceed on to the job market upon graduation who do not need to be saddled with the heavy burden of research work). However, be aware that the tuition fee for Engineering programs offered by OAE is about $9,300 per semester (which is also the same for both international students and citizens) and anybody intending on attending UMD needs to have at least one semester's tuition ready before they come in. The non-thesis based masters programs offer no graduate assistantships, although you can apply for other GA positions at https://ejobs.umd.edu Also, coming in Spring, as against Fall, will probably be better as you have only the spring semester (January to May) to pay through before the 3 months summer vacation (June to August) comes to be able to sort out yourself financially for the following semester. Cost of renting a place around UMD - in College park, Adelphi, Hyattsville, Greenbelt etc. is sort of above average (around $500 per month on average) and you should be ready to take care of that too, except you have someone to house you for a couple of months till you are ready to get your own place.

In all, I encourage those interested in UMD to apply. Nigerian students make up majority of the black graduate students in UMD and also the majority of the greater african students studying here. Also, the number of Nigerians living in Maryland especially (PG county) is enormous that hardly a day goes by would you not meet someone speaking Igbo or Yoruba. Maryland is home to plenty Nigerians and is a little home away from the greater home (Nigeria) for incomers.

For those looking for very good but yet affordable schools to study at, I strongly recommend University of Texas El Paso and University of Texas Tyler. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by abeolas: 10:22pm On Aug 31, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I am an alumnus of UMD myself, and I finished my masters program in December 2015. UMD is really a good school to be in and an admission from UMD is at least 95% assurance of getting your visa. Hardly are UMD students denied their visas. The UMD graduate school offers two types of engineering masters programs: thesis based (very competitive, requires GRE scores etc. and is for those intending to proceed on to PhD) and non-thesis based (offered by the Office of Advanced Engineering Education, GRE is waived, TOEFL waived for Nigerian students, not as competitive and for those intending to proceed on to the job market upon graduation who do not need to be saddled with the heavy burden of research work). However, be aware that the tuition fee for Engineering programs offered by OAE is about $9,300 per semester (which is also the same for both international students and citizens) and anybody intending on attending UMD needs to have at least one semester's tuition ready before they come in. The non-thesis based masters programs offer no graduate assistantships, although you can apply for other GA positions at https://ejobs.umd.edu Also, coming in Spring, as against Fall, will probably be better as you have only the spring semester (January to May) to pay through before the 3 months summer vacation (June to August) comes to be able to sort out yourself financially for the following semester. Cost of renting a place around UMD - in College park, Adelphi, Hyattsville, Greenbelt etc. is sort of above average (around $500 per month on average) and you should be ready to take care of that too, except you have someone to house you for a couple of months till you are ready to get your own place.

In all, I encourage those interested in UMD to apply. Nigerian students make up majority of the black graduate students in UMD and also the majority of the greater african students studying here. Also, the number of Nigerians living in Maryland especially (PG county) is enormous that hardly a day goes by would you not meet someone speaking Igbo or Yoruba. Maryland is home to plenty Nigerians and is a little home away from the greater home (Nigeria) for incomers.

For those looking for very good but yet affordable schools to study at, I strongly recommend University of Texas El Paso and University of Texas Tyler. Goodluck.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 10:32pm On Aug 31, 2017
joshtune:

It depends.

If you're interested in working as an IT professional, you simply chose an area of interest (networking, database administration, hardware engineering, software development, ERP implementation, systems audit & contols, etc); and get certified in that area. In such cases you won't need to do too much mathematics.

However, if you want to go academic by doing a conversion program, such as PGD Computer Science, then you will have to take some serious mathematical courses such Numerical Computation, Digital Computer Logic etc.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 10:35pm On Aug 31, 2017
abeolas:

Bolded

Serious problem, violation of visa terms.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by imperiouxx(m): 10:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
sirhamilton:
I wish everyone would respond to queries like Lagosismyhome and Bigfancis . Noticed how the thread has been void of snide comments so far ?

That's why we need to bring back the thread to the way it used to be before, though it's normal for random bullies to pop up every now and then.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by imperiouxx(m): 10:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
abeolas:

The problem is why would a student ignore the school through which he/she got a visa (i.e the school name stamped on the visa) upon arrival? Why can't he/she ignore their I-20 and not go for the visa interview?

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.