Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,477 members, 7,819,739 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? (7768 Views)

COVID-19 Is God's Anger And Only Prayer Can Bring Solution: Prophet Oluwamodede / The Lord's Chosen Storm Gambia, Many Muslims Converted (Photos) / Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by calddon(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2017
The lords prayer is a model prayer that Jesus set for us. If thats the only prayer you can pray then your being unselfish and christlike....unlike those so called christian with their selfish prayers about prosperity.

2 Likes

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 09, 2017
The Lords Prayer is the most powerful prayer ever. The content each sentence is what has been elaborated in our churches today. Lets take time to see the content.

1 Like

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by torres89: 8:17am On Jul 09, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:

Come, it's matter of clarification,

Don't ever stylishly insult me,

If you know something I don't know,

Just clarify it rather than insulting me

okay am sorry

let me explain the Lords prayer

but first you have to believe in the trinity meaning Jesus Christ is God

take it line by line

our father... meaning u are professing Jesus Christ as your Lord

hallowed be your name ..Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
. u exalt God and u believe in the his powers.

give us this day. u are dedicating the day to God

and the rest is explanatory .

now if you praise God , ask God for forgiveness and protection from evil , your daily bread ( successful in what you do )

what more can you ask for again

our God is a simple God . some people have made him look uncessarily complicated ,for their selfish interest

saying the our Father every morning will do wonders in your life.

don't trust me

don't trust anyone

but trust only God and his words

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 09, 2017
Go back to the last supper and read carefully.

My dear, praying for accidents to stop, vaccines for incurable sickness and respect from people is a waste of time. Its like you are trying to delay the return of Jesus Christ. Mind you, the bible tells us about the signs of end times and these sickness and lack of respect, fornication, homosexuals are a sign of ends time.

Are you praying to undo a prophet or praying for salvation?

6 Likes

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by hemmy1843(m): 8:19am On Jul 09, 2017
[quote author=ADEWUMIMichael post=58270899]

I never taught of calling him stupid, but brother, the Lord's prayer isn't the main prayer will should be saying, it usually saying after every prayers

whats the need for saying the Lord's prayer after your prayer has already been said. The Lord's prayer is the best, its so complete. I really don't like how Christianity is practiced in Africa, we take things to the extreme. Left for me, I'll say the Lord's prayer whenever I'm to pray instead of shouting up and down.
When you are at peace with God, he will fight your battles. Do away with sin so u need not to fight meaningless battles.

2 Likes

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by victorazy(m): 8:20am On Jul 09, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:
There are some times your current condition won't match with the Lord's prayer,

I believe Nobody will tell you before you will start speaking in tongue

The only salient comment here so far.

Sometimes we pray selfish or blind prayer, even repeatation as religion directing us. Lord's prayer is like overview, summery, or points of how our prayers should be uttered but sometimes we need extra points to deal with or current situation our unknown situation e.g intercessory prayer when we intercede for our neighbors, relations without knowing and this is why we MUST pray in tongue everyday.
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Alexander001(m): 8:22am On Jul 09, 2017
I don't know for una oo, but any house pray that lasted more than 10 mins. I don tire self. our Lord's prayer but not every night I dey pray only am.

1 Like

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by bigtt76(f): 8:22am On Jul 09, 2017
The Lord's Prayer is just a guide to how you pray to God. If you recall the context in which Jesus Christ gave this prayer you will understand it better.

Our Father Who Art In Heaven - This is telling you to always acknowledge that you have a listening Father in God and He is in Heaven watching us all.

Halloween Be Thy Name - This telling you to praise His Holy name and acknowledge that it's worthy of all praise.

Thine Kingdom Come - This is telling you to acknowledge that His words reigneth over the earth above all earthly laws.

Thy will be done earth as it is in Heaven - Acknowledge that His words to us will be obeyed just as the Angels do in Heaven

Give us this day our daily bread - This is where we now ask of God our pressing needs not necessarily for Agege bread.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us - Beg for God's forgiveness and promise to do same to others who hurt us

Lead us not into temptation - We beg for His grace to go before us so we do not fall into temptation

Deliver us from evil - Here we pray for protection or help to wade out of any trouble facing us

For Thine is the Kingdom, the power and Glory Forever and Ever Amen - Acknowledge God's Supreme power over all and its everlasting reign.

Once you understand all this, trust me you can craft your own prayer in this line. Don't forget also that prayer is talking to God so conversation will constantly change and not remain the same but goes according to the lines of the Lord's Prayer. God bless us all with understanding his words. Amen

8 Likes

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by BlaQWolf: 8:25am On Jul 09, 2017
Shortyy:

Which one is being lazy, that's the only prayer Jesus taught us to pray. Na una dey add una own.

Been looking for you...what's up?
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Shortyy(f): 8:33am On Jul 09, 2017
BlaQWolf:

Been looking for you...what's up?
Ceiling
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by martineverest(m): 8:33am On Jul 09, 2017
atarapa:
Wen u see attack u go speak in tongue
typical Nigerian Christian
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 8:34am On Jul 09, 2017
torres89:

okay am sorry

let me explain the Lords prayer

but first you have to believe in the trinity meaning Jesus Christ is God

take it line by line

our father... meaning u are professing Jesus Christ as your Lord

hallowed be your name ..Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
. u exalt God and u believe in the his powers.

give us this day. u are dedicating the day to God

and the rest is explanatory .

now if you praise God , ask God for forgiveness and protection from evil , your daily bread ( successful in what you do )

what more can you ask for again

our God is a simple God . some people have made him look uncessarily complicated ,for their selfish interest

saying the our Father every morning will do wonders in your life.

don't trust me

don't trust anyone

but trust only God and his words

OK thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 09, 2017
ybalogs:
YOUR BELIEVE WILL SURELY HEAL YOU.THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.JUST NEVER LEAVE PRAYERS.
This is very misleading. Making people believe that as long as they are comfortable then its okay is the same as saying a lady is okay to wear anyhow they please, as long as they are comfortable. These kind of statements are the reason why we see ladies wearing bumshots and all.....you lot tell them one should please their heart. No, its wrong

Bro, without trying to appear as though I am a saint, when there are guidelines in place, the least we can do is try to follow them. If we go astray, that should be a mistake which should be rectified the munite you realise it.

Read the bible and understand prayer.
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by martineverest(m): 8:41am On Jul 09, 2017
anyebedgreat:
Means you need to grow spiritually
smh
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Ajalekoko76(m): 8:51am On Jul 09, 2017
How can Jesus Christ taught us how to pray...The Lord's Prayer... And u and I rubbish dat prayer. Whoever relegate Lord's prayer is anti Christ. Whatever Christ gives is the best and incomparable. Christ was aware of our spiritual and material needs when he composed that prayer. We should acknowledge wolfs among sheep in Christianity,hence all form of tactics to distract and destroy children of God are ongoing
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by trinity11(m): 8:52am On Jul 09, 2017
The Lords prayer is a complete prayer and it touches all areas necessary.

people just don't know the force behind it because we all grew up reciting it from nursery school. So they view it from the angle of other poem like...
Rain Rain go away
come again another day
little children want to play
little children want to play...

Now it is also important that when praying the lords prayer especially if its the only prayer you are offering at that moment. You must key deeply into it, be focus, go deeply into the words and above all BELIEVE in those words.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by michoim(m): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2017
You don't say prayers just with the movement of the lips, you pray pouring your heart to God. The Bible say deep calleth unto deep. Also heart speak to heart. Your heart connected or moved by the Spirit of God that knows the depths of God(His heart ), help you to pray. ..connecting you to God's heart.
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 09, 2017
victorazy:

He who speaks in an unknown tongue speaks to God, u no need interpretation.
Th3 lady is actually right, just read these passages. But, you are right too.....according to some of these scriptures. Please read maybe we can get a better understanding.

1 Corinthians read all th3 way from 13 to 28
Acts 19: 6......Galathians 5: 22
Mark 16: 17.....

Its a complex matter I dont umderstand myself but, I can sit here and tell you many people are faking it.
Ever8054:
I thought there are conditions attached to speaking in tongue in the bible, such as.
1 when the holly spirit descend on you...
2 when there is some one to interpret what you are saying..
..and I also realize that,the apostles spoke in other people's language...
...but how you people speaks in tongue in the absence of all this is what I don't understand. can you clarify me on this pls.?
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Holuwahphemy(m): 9:10am On Jul 09, 2017
Towncrier007:
And what if the only answer you get is a Fvck?
So you booked space to type this?
Smh

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by teemy(m): 9:10am On Jul 09, 2017
holuwahphemy, just as toress89 said, 'deliver us from evil' settles the unfair landlord treatment part. as conversation progresses terms and words change as well but using that template of the lord's prayer would guide our not going astray or offmark

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by teemy(m): 9:15am On Jul 09, 2017
i would add that if the words of the prayer were not answerable, jesus would not have taught it to the early believers. i used to believe it was a 'weak' prayer till i gained that noise and drama does not move the almighty as a believing heart does.
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by gfullmoon(m): 9:25am On Jul 09, 2017
Our Lord's Prayer is not a prayer per se, but a model detailing the essential ingredients of our prayers. Note Jesus was teaching his Disciples how to pray. Just like a building plan to be followed by a builder. It will be wrong for the people to mistook the building plan as the real building than the physical built structure itself.

And some of ingredients detailed by Jesus included
1. Sanctification of God's Name
2. For God's Kingdom to come
3. Basic necessities of daily living (daily bread)
4. God's will to done on Earth as it is done in heaven etc.

Holy ghost fire, mostly used by most christendom today was copiously absence in Jesus' prayer guide neither did the early Apostle used such term in prayers. Besides if Holy Ghost kills, can it still remain holy?
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Master19: 9:27am On Jul 09, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:

the Lord's prayer isn't the main prayer will should be saying, it usually saying after every prayer

heartache:
When Jesus was to be crucified, He prayed for hours in the garden of gestheman. I can't believe it was just the Lords Prayer He offered. At times you have to say more
[quote author=ADEWUMIMichael post=58270899]

The prayer was instituted by God (son of God) himself, that singular factor makes it the most powerful prayer in the life of a Christian.

Talking about the length of the prayer, what most of us don't know is that "our lord's prayer" can take up to one hour to pray (prayer is a communication medium and for you to communicate, you have to meditate). Have ever thought why it's called the Lord's prayer?
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Omonigeriarere: 9:31am On Jul 09, 2017
Holuwahphemy:
A Christ Apostolic Church member like me would know how prayer is not something we take for granted cool
If you are the type that doesn't know how to close your eyes during prayers, and happened to drop by one revival at a C. A. C. branch, the moment you here something like; "the angels of God have descended and are walking amidst us... Please this is not the time to play or open your eyes... (then u'll hear the pastor tell a short story about how a man opened his eyes during a prayer session and got blinded by an angel) Shout! And call the name of the lord... Say 'lord! what is that ancient curse placed against our generations to stagnate our progress' ? Be destroyed by fire and thunder!" you wouldn't even dare opening your eyes... Even after hearing the bell and "in Jesus name we pray" you would still close your eyes and be wondering if it is safe to open them yet. grin
But in the holy scriptures though- Matthew chapter 6 verse 9 to 13, Jesus taught us a short and simple way to pray- 'The Lord's prayer'
My question now is; what if all i say everytime i needed to pray is the Lord's prayer, does that mean i've suceeded in praying for things i needed all round? For instance, my landlord is treating me badly and i wanted to ask God to change this, is saying the Lord's going to change his attitude?

Thanks for your meaningful responses.

Our problem is that we don't read Bible and we don't study it. Where in the Bible did you read that Jesus Christ repeated the Lord's prayer twice? Was it the Lord's prayer he was reciting repeatedly from morning till night anytime he went to wilderness to pray?

Why didn't he repeat the Lord's prayer when he was about to be arrested and crucified? Why didn't Jesus recite the Lord's prayer while healing multitude of people?

For your information, the Lord's prayer is the summary of all prayers any Christians can pray. In other words, there is nothing anybody can ask for outside this prayer. It's arrangements and wordings are so superb to the extent that it is worthy of emulation.

It's arrangement is how a prayer should be prayed : Thanksgiving-pleading for mercy over sins-request-thanksgiving.

In it, we learnt that praying for our enemies and even displaying good gestures to them is a MUST.

May God bless His words.

1 Like

Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by heartache(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2017
When Jesus was to be crucified, He prayed for hours in the garden of gestheman. I can't believe it was just the Lords Prayer He offered. At times you have to say more
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by nobilie: 10:03am On Jul 09, 2017
The Lords prayer is simply a format of prayer or how to pray. First, thank God. Ask for forgiveness. Deliver us from evil.
Don't forget, he said ask and you shall receive. The reason you have not received is cos you did not ask. Jesus himself withdraws from his disciples when he wants to commune with the father and stays long time.
All we need do is read the Bible daily and meditate in the word. When we pray, the spirit will pray through us.
There are times you begin to pray with a heavy heart. When you are done and you look at the time, you won't believe you spent that time praying.

God help us
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by BlaQWolf: 10:14am On Jul 09, 2017
Shortyy:

Ceiling

Hehehehehehe... You won't go to church instead you here looking for trouble abi... Where have you been by the way lexxy?
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by Shortyy(f): 10:20am On Jul 09, 2017
BlaQWolf:

Hehehehehehe... You won't go to church instead you here looking for trouble abi... Where have you been by the way lexxy?
Lol been around
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by BlaQWolf: 10:24am On Jul 09, 2017
Shortyy:

Lol been around

Will send you a mail..until then do takia
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by sugarlyn: 10:28am On Jul 09, 2017
Matthew chapter 6 verse 9 to 13, Jesus taught us a short and simple way to pray- 'The Lord's prayer'
My question now is; what if all i say everytime i needed to pray is the Lord's prayer, does that mean i've suceeded in praying for things i needed all round?

Do u actually know the meaning of that prayer?
hallowed b thy name. Do u really know God's name? How can u honor God when u don't know His name? God wants all his creations to know Him very well,starting from his name. He revealed his name in the Bible book of psalm chapter 83 verse 18. stating that his name is Jehovah (Yahweh) which means causes to become.
for more information, visit www.jw.org.
Re: What If The Only Prayer I Say Is; 'The Lord's Prayer'? by StLouisWine(m): 10:54am On Jul 09, 2017
just like when we were in primary or secondary school....assembly ground, after singing the national anthem, follow by the school anthem. thats how the Lords prayer is....follow by your(individual) request.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Water Spirit Kingdom / Why Hasn't God made an amputated limb grow back? / How To Become A Fervent Christain Believer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.