Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist (29957 Views)

The Failure Of Christian Deism / Deism, "-there Must Be Something" / From Christianity To Deism: My New Journey Has Just Started (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 11:59am On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

The theory of the cyclic universe has been debunked by science . I'm on a mobile device now , I would have explained in details.

There are three concepts of creation

1. Creatio ex deo - creation out of the being of God which I subscribe to

2. Creatio ex materia - eternal universe coexisting with God from past infinitude.

3. Creatio ex nihilo - creation out of nothing

Not everyone subscribes to creation out of nothing . And there are theists who object creatio ex nihilo

Apparently, you are mocking in ignorance which is just a pitiful thing to see .

Kingebukasblog, nice bit of info.

But as usual, you will twist and make nonsense of it
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
spacetacular:

So now it's science fiction and no longer pure scientific proof?

Jack oh Jack! cheesy

And there was Mr Dalaman talking to me about physical perception. I think he also needs to talk to you about it Jack or is science fiction also physical perception or felt by the senses.

This is the last time I quote or answer you.
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Creatio ex materia renders god redundant in my opinion. I see nothing for god to do in that scenario.
EXACTLY. That implies pre-existing materials that God DIDN'T create. Just like we weren't responsible for the creation of the raw materials we use in industries. So if God created things from pre-existing materials, who created THEM? grin

Creatio ex nihilo is just stupid.
Hahahaha. It is incredibly absurd! Yet this is the only way Abrahamism can be valid. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by hopefulLandlord: 12:01pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

Kingebukasblog, nice bit of info.
But as usual, you will twist and make nonsense of it
"Creation out of being of god" how meaningless can a sentence get?

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by spacetacular(f): 12:03pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

The fact is that I do not know how the universe came about. The most plausible theory, albeit sci-fi, to me is the cyclical multiverse.

Tluvie is saying the same thing albeit in his/her own way.

Ogbeni, SWERVE

You still do not get it. The cyclical multiverse begins with a Big Bang and ends with a big crunch and propagates the theory of the universe coming from NOTHING.

The cyclic model is highly regarded among many physicists partly because it allows them to avoid the question about the origin of the Universe.

The start of each cycle is caused by the end of the previous one, but according to the model this process lasts forever, whereby it goes silent when it comes to the very first cycle.

Do you not see the obvious error and vacuity?
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

It is classic Christian theology

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

The fact is that I do not know how the universe came about. The most plausible theory, albeit sci-fi, to me is the cyclical multiverse.

Tluvie is saying the same thing albeit in his/her own way.

Ogbeni, SWERVE
I no be TLuvie o..... cheesy. And I'm a HE, sir. grin
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by hopefulLandlord: 12:07pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

It is classic Christian theology

I even had to google that term and the mental gymnastics required to defend that stand was huge!
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
TLuzzie:
Oh, interesting. Can you tell me how CREATION OUT OF THE BEING OF GOD occurs, and which part of the scriptures of your theistic religion of Christianity backs it up?

A we talking of Christianity or theism? What concerns the scripture now because it does not even say the universe came from nothing.

Created out of the being of God is somewhat like panentheism, whereby the universe is the material manifestation and God interprenates in it but the immaterial being is yet distinct and greater than its material manifestation.

Ephesians 4:6 King James Version (KJV)
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

I think this verse gives the greatest hint that everything was created from the being of God .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
TLuzzie:
I no be TLuvie o..... cheesy. And I'm a HE, sir. grin

Bro.

No vex. I was mixing you up with another person. Sorry
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by spacetacular(f): 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

This is the last time I quote or answer you.

Awww Jack is upset sad

Stop hiding behind mood swings and deal with it(me). I will still quote you even if you refuse to respond simply because I know you would still read my comments. As long as I am able to impart some sense into you I am play with it.
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by CatfishBilly: 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I wonder who came up with the discipline of theology.
It adds nothing whatsoever, just a bunch of fools, sitting together and making baseless claims.
The fact that they award degrees is just extremely stupid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

A we talking of Christianity or theism? What concerns the scripture now because it does not even say the universe came from nothing.

Created out of the being of God is somewhat like panentheism, whereby the universe is the material manifestation and it interprenates in it but the immaterial being is yet distinct and greater than its material manifestation.

I think this verse gives the greatest hint that everything was created from the being of God .

My brain ooooooo!

Which kind bullshite be this?
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by spacetacular(f): 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Created out of the being of God is somewhat like panentheism, whereby the universe is the material manifestation and it interprenates in it but the immaterial being is yet distinct and greater than its material manifestation.

Colossians chapter 1 verse 16 and 17

16. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

17. And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:13pm On Jul 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I even had to google that term and the mental gymnastics required to defend that stand was huge!

grin

What? You never jam. Go and listen to kingEbuka's daddy, William Craig. Your brain will hang due to the sheer mental gymnastics the guy produces for his arguments.
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:15pm On Jul 12, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Creatio ex materia renders god redundant in my opinion. I see nothing for god to do in that scenario.

Creatio ex nihilo is just stupid.

No it does not because without God the universe will not exist . The universe needs God to continously interact with it for it to exist from past infinitude

That means God can decide to end the existence of the universe even though it has coexisted with It from past infinitude .

You get?
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by CatfishBilly: 12:15pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Can somebody explain this to me in simple English.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2017
spacetacular:

Colossians chapter 1 verse 17
And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Gbam !
This one even makes it clearer .
Thanks
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by spacetacular(f): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Gbam !

This one even makes it clearer .

Thanks

Read from verse 16 to 17. That holds true.

16. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by CatfishBilly: 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

No it does not because without God the universe will not exist . The universe needs God to continously interact with it for it to exist from past infinitude

That means God can decide to end the existence of the universe even though it has coexisted with It from past infinitude .

You get?
Let me see if I get.
The universe and god are not two parallel lines from the same "point" of origin, they intersect at some point and the universe continuously needs god for its existence?
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Can somebody explain this to me in simple English.
Thanks.

It simply means that God is like the soul of the universe . The same way you have a soul and your body is its material manifestation but it is still separate from your material body making it possible for the soul to exist without your body .
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by hopefulLandlord: 12:22pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

grin

What? You never jam. Go and listen to kingEbuka's daddy, William Craig. Your brain will hang due to the sheer mental gymnastics the guy produces for his arguments.

actually I used to watch him a lot, although I find ALL his arguments easy for me to counter except the cosmological argument speaking of which my longest post on this thread actually addresses it as it doesn't show anything about this so-called first cause

where I actually found his dishonesty too Much to bear are 2 incidences

1. he claims his evidence for Christianity being true is that Jesus rose from the dead

Mark Smith (atheist) then asked:

Dr. Craig, for the sake of argument let’s pretend that a time machine gets built. You and I hop in it, and travel back to the day before Easter We park it outside the tomb of Jesus. We wait. Easter morning rolls around, and nothing happens. We continue to wait. After several weeks of waiting, still nothing happens. There is no resurrection- Jesus is quietly rotting away in the tomb.

Craig told him he would still believe in the resurrection of Jesus, due to the “self-authenticating witness of the Holy Spirit.”

at that point, I actually stopped taking him seriously, infact I now see him as more of a joke

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by hopefulLandlord: 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2017
2. in his debate with Arif Ahmed he said :"As long as reason is minister of the Christian faith, Christians should adhere to it."

"We can know the truth, whether we have rational arguments or not."

"Even though we are given no good reason to believe, and many persuasive reasons to disbelieve, even then the disbeliever has no excuse. Because the ultimate reason he does not believe is that he has rejected deliberately God's holy spirit."

at that point I simply not only saw him as a joke but wondered why someone would even debate him at all, even Arif Ahmed was so perplexed by that statement that he told Craig to give him a good reason why they're not wasting their time debating and Craig couldn't address that point

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Let me see if I get.
The universe and god are not two parallel lines from the same "point" of origin, they intersect at some point and the universe continuously needs god for its existence?

There is no origin . And yes , the universe continously needs God for its existence. And God can decide to end the existence of the universe since it is greater than it and exist as a separate conscious being.
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2017
spacetacular:

Read from verse 16 to 17. That holds true.

Exactly !!! The bible has been screaming creatio ex deo yet some Christians support the creatio ex nihilo

Now I wonder where they got that from

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by spacetacular(f): 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly !!! The bible has been screaming creatio ex deo yet some Christians support the creatio ex nihilo

Now I wonder where they got that from

I wonder about that too.

1 Like

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by CatfishBilly: 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

There is no origin . And yes , the universe continously needs God for its existence. And God can decide to end the existence of the universe since it is greater than it and exist as a separate conscious being.
Creatio ex materia already said that the universe can exist separate from god, it just needs the continuous intervention from god in order the sustain it's existence.

I think adding that caveat is some sort of ad hoc hypothesis to make the argument make sense.

Going by the logic of creatio ex materia, god can go off in one direction dancing outside the universe and generally having fun, while the universe can go off on it's own to develop into the universe as we know and never the twain shall meet.

Why does the universe need god for its sustainability?
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

It simply means that God is like the soul of the universe . The same way you have a soul and your body is its material manifestation but it is still separate from your material body making it possible for the soul to exist without your body .

There is a game called SOUL BLADE.

The soul blade (a sword) is a physical manifestation of a demonic entity but it is still separate from the sword aa the entity can appear in certain situations.

Nna, see wetin you done reduce your God to- a mere videogame plot
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

actually I used to watch him a lot, although I find ALL his arguments easy for me to counter except the cosmological argument speaking of which my longest post on this thread actually addresses it as it doesn't show anything about this so-called first cause

where I actually found his dishonesty too Much to bear are 2 incidences

1. he claims his evidence for Christianity being true is that Jesus rose from the dead

Mark Smith (atheist) then asked:

Dr. Craig, for the sake of argument let’s pretend that a time machine gets built. You and I hop in it, and travel back to the day before Easter We park it outside the tomb of Jesus. We wait. Easter morning rolls around, and nothing happens. We continue to wait. After several weeks of waiting, still nothing happens. There is no resurrection- Jesus is quietly rotting away in the tomb.

Craig told him he would still believe in the resurrection of Jesus, due to the “self-authenticating witness of the Holy Spirit.”

at that point, I actually stopped taking him seriously, infact I now see him as more of a joke

One of his arguments for the ressurection of Christ is that there were witnesses and they could not have been mass hallucinating when they saw him.

As if magicians don't have audiences to fool with illusions
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
JackBizzle:

There is a game called SOUL BLADE.

The soul blade (a sword) is a physical manifestation of a demonic entity but it is still separate from the sword aa the entity can appear in certain situations.

Nna, see wetin you done reduce your God to- a mere videogame plot

Lolz .., you no well at all jack

Instead of using that to understand the message being passed , you think it's a reason to mock the concept .

I just dey look you

2 Likes

Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by CoolUsername: 12:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Maybe God killed himself to create the Universe? I think they call that pandeism. An interesting concept in my opinion, Scott Adams, maker of the newspaper cartoon, Dilbert wrote about in his piece, God's Debris. The guy believes that self-destruction is the only worthwhile challenge for an omnipotent being, causing God to kill himself with our Universe being a byproduct.

Obviously, this is very unlikely due to argument of God being unnecessary which I always make but it is still a nice concept to consider.
Re: Deism- The Last Refuge For A Dubious Religious Apologist by JackBizzle: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Lolz .., you no well at all jack

Instead of using that to understand the message being passed , you think it's a reason to mock the concept .

I just dey look you

Bros, na the oshogbo weed. The thing dey potent

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On This Sticker Of Bishop Oyedepo? Blasphemy / Saying Hello Is A Sin - Mummy G.O, Funmi Adebayo (Video) / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Gave Youths N3 Million (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.