Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,253 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

American Football Is Better Than Soccer! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / American Football Is Better Than Soccer! (24808 Views)

Poll: Which sport is better?

American Football: 20% (17 votes)
Soccer: 79% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Amuneke Beat-up Iheanachos' American Football Agent / Nigeria Is Ready For American Football / Nigerian in the American "Football" League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 3:27am On Feb 28, 2007
Have you even watched an nfl game? There's a reason they wear helmets and pads not just for decoration. When people have died or broken their necks playing a sport, its not sissy. I guarantee you the best soccer player in the world would get their butt kicked in a fight with the best nfl player. And why diss nfl when so many nigerians play in it? Look up "Adawale Ogunleye" and tell me he's a sissy
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by LoverBwoy(m): 3:31am On Feb 28, 2007
shsonline:

Have you even watched an nfl game? There's a reason they wear helmets and pads not just for decoration. When people have died or broken their necks playing a sport, its not sissy. I guarantee you the best soccer player in the world would get their butt kicked in a fight with the best nfl player. And why diss nfl when so many nigerians play in it? Look up "Adawale Ogunleye" and tell me he's a sissy
lol what a joker so many nigerians and you only brought one name? "Adawale Ogunleye" shouldnt it be ad[b]e[/b]wale

do you know the number of nigerians playing football? pssss try again wink
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:39am On Feb 28, 2007
shsonline:

I guarantee you the best soccer player in the world would get their butt kicked in a fight with the best nfl player.

Of course they would considering 80% of americaqn football players are fucking obese.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 3:50am On Feb 28, 2007
I just mentioned him because he's like the best defensive player in the league, and there are many others, you can google it. I just don't understand why you would diss a game that is dominated by blacks and is the most popular game in the states
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Nobody: 4:42am On Feb 28, 2007
lol @ American Football

A 48 minute game, 36 minutes is spent rolling on the floor after a run, jumping up and down after a tackle and gathering for team discussions. You only get 12 minutes of action on a lucky day, play is stopped after every 5 seconds.

How can a 48 minute game last 3 hours and you expect any human being to enjoy it?. . .The game is far from free flowing and the players are one dimensional.

@shsonline

How demanding can football be when the players cannot pass a standard test of stamina in either soccer or basketball?. . .They have different sets of players for offense and defense who spend 6 minutes at most in action on every given day.
Soccer players run, jump, kick, head, chest, fall and stand up for 90 minutes, now that is demanding. We play pick-up soccer here, the varsity football guys cannot even run around for 5 minutes without panting like SISSIES.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 5:14am On Feb 28, 2007
Donzman:

lol @ American Football

A 48 minute game, 36 minutes is spent rolling on the floor after a run, jumping up and down after a tackle and gathering for team discussions. You only get 12 minutes of action on a lucky day, play is stopped after every 5 seconds.

How can a 48 minute game last 3 hours and you expect any human being to enjoy it?. . .The game is far from free flowing and the players are one dimensional.

@shsonline

How demanding can football be when the players cannot pass a standard test of stamina in either soccer or basketball?. . .They have different sets of players for offense and defense who spend 6 minutes at most in action on every given day.
Soccer players run, jump, kick, head, chest, fall and stand up for 90 minutes, now that is demanding. We play pick-up soccer here, the varsity football guys cannot even run around for 5 minutes without panting like SISSIES.

I'll tell you how demanding, these are not just little kids, these are the largest, most muscular, physically gifted men in the country smashing and pounding against each other and running into each other at track and field like speeds. They are catching balls thrown at baseball speeds and trying not to get pounded and killed at the same time. They have to throw accurately, turn at the drop of the dime, and run against 11 opposing players who all want to just smack you around and take the ball away from you. There is a mental game. There are 8-12 coaches per team. Obviously if it wasn't mental, there would be no need for multiple coaches. Any team has a chance to win. Its not like soccer where all the good players go to one team or the highest bidder. There's no Barcelona or Chelsea like in soccer. Any team can outcoach and outplay any other team on a given day, but the best team does it by being consistent and sometimes lucky. Which means ITS COMPETITIVE!

Like I said, I respect soccer players. But being able to run up and down on a field and kick a ball into a net is not comparable to all the things I mentioned. Don't believe that American football is harder than soccer? Take an expert from a group of olympic committee members word for it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

And to whoever called American football players obese, Larry Allen, the strongest man in the NFL can lift 900 lbs (400 kg). Just because the men are big doesn't mean they are "obese". imagine a man who could lift 400 kg running into you and tell me that's a sissy sport.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Leps05(m): 5:43am On Feb 28, 2007
Guys, this is like apples&oranges.i love football but would never say it's better than soccer. i love my Redskins. i watch most home games at fedex fields. But, you cannot denounce "our own football ". I'm a sports fanatic, i can't slam any game. i played rugby, basketball, and five player summer football(soccer) league in Manchester, England.Soccer is a great game, trust me. i played with 4 Spanish guys from Spain, who came to Manchester to learn English.Though, the language barrier was there, we got to the semi-finals in Scotland.My point is that; take that round ball any where around the world and you will see the smile it gives people of different races, religion and culture. American football is also a great but soccer is the "worlds game". no game can top that. Mind you, they both have negative sides.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 28, 2007
Like I said, I respect soccer players. But being able to run up and down on a field and kick a ball into a net is not comparable to all the things I mentioned. Don't believe that American football is harder than soccer? Take an expert from a group of olympic committee members word for it:

Hell to the NO. American football is more about natural ability (weight, speed, power) than skill, most of the players are one dimensional (either throw, catch, run or just hit people and call it tackling.

Do I have to list out the skill sets required in football which surpasses speed, power and weight?. . .Try hitting a ball like Frank Lampard or controlling it with your feet like Berbatov for starters. There is a reason why it fascinates the world and is beginning to penetrate America, it is a sport of skill/natural ability/mental ability and flair. It's played on all 7 continents plus the moon and mars for a reason. FOOTBALL RULES!. . .American football blows.

How do you enjoy sitting for 3 hours for a 48 minute game that is stopped every 3 seconds?. . .How do you watch a game that is called football when most of their players use their hands. The game was misnamed to begin with, it sucks.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by bluenubian(f): 6:35am On Feb 28, 2007
am sorry, i enjoy football a lot but nothing beats the excitement u get during soccer. Soccer is more purposeful, straight to the point,skillfull, adrenaline pumping, a sport only a fit person can play. plus soccer has got more dedicated fans altho i hate the word soccer cause we all know the name it should be refer to as worldwide which is football
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by jgirl3: 6:45am On Feb 28, 2007
I love my football (soccer to those who want to have football by force) any day anytime. To me, one man's food is another man's poison so this is sheer ignorance.

Football is not popular in U.S.but it is popular in the rest of most of the world. Come to think of it, US is trying to improve football if not why else would they pay David Beckham $50m a year (5-year contract) to come and play on their LA team? We understand the joy we derive from watching it and just because you don't doesn't mean that one is better than the other.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by bluenubian(f): 6:46am On Feb 28, 2007
yeah people wud never know how much they missing if they never had it to begin with. Strict football lovers can be ignorant sometimes.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 7:38am On Feb 28, 2007
I understand what some of you are saying but some of you it seems are hating just because you've never actually watched it or don't know the rules. I KNOW the rules of soccer, and I do follow the English clubs occasionally but its not the same fun. No one gets knocked the f out in soccer. Christian okoye aka The Nigerian Nightmare, who in soccer could be feared enough to earn a nickname like that
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by bluenubian(f): 7:41am On Feb 28, 2007
shsonline:

I understand what some of you are saying but some of you it seems are hating just because you've never actually watched it or don't know the rules. I KNOW the rules of soccer, and I do follow the English clubs occasionally but its not the same fun. No one gets knocked the f out in soccer. Christian okoye aka The Nigerian Nightmare, who in soccer could be feared enough to earn a nickname like that
i know both sports well enough and understand the rules, jus cause someone gets knocked out evry 2secs doesnt make it a better sport
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by jgirl3: 7:45am On Feb 28, 2007
Me too. I know the rules and I watch it. I'm not condemning American Football. I'm just saying I prefer Football personally. I have favorite teams in both sports and i support them everytime esp. my baby daddy Reggie Bush.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 7:59am On Feb 28, 2007
Attagirl, reggie bush! You do know your football! Some of these people I bet are like "reggie who?" The only reason I had to make my points about american football is cuz yall had to start dissin it and sayin it was "gay" and "for sissies". I couldn't let that slide. I understand if you like soccer becuz its the"worlds sport" but that doesn't mean usa football isn'tas exciting. Its a religion here
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 7:59am On Feb 28, 2007
Attagirl, reggie bush! You do know your football! Some of these people I bet are like "reggie who?" The only reason I had to make my points about american football is cuz yall had to start dissin it and sayin it was "gay" and "for sissies". I couldn't let that slide. I understand if you like soccer becuz its the"worlds sport" but that doesn't mean usa football isn'tas exciting. Its a religion here
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by jgirl3: 8:08am On Feb 28, 2007
Yeah i understand. That's kind of a sensitive statement here but since it's just not that popular outside of US and we all consider football to be the norm. It's not a Nigerian thing though.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by seeni4ever(m): 10:02am On Feb 28, 2007
i live in america and i hate that game called american football. they look like bunch of gays when holding each other. i don't know why they called it football, even ruggby is more football an maly that than the american bull shit. i will waste my time on ruggby than americanfootball. ruggby players tackles the same way they tackle in american football and you don't see them wearing any protective gears and they also play for 90 minutes without interuptions. and in terms of fitness and stamina, soccer players are better. f@#k american football. gays
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by seeni4ever(m): 10:18am On Feb 28, 2007
shsonline:

what nigeria nightmare has to do with soccer. what about amokachi that was named the bull if u ever being to rodeo show you will fear the bull. ye haw
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by dblock(m): 10:21am On Feb 28, 2007
American football is not a sport tongue
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Vieira(m): 12:11pm On Feb 28, 2007
Rugby players are 10 times the men that NFL players are.

They do everything the NFL players do and they do it all for 90 mins and without any protection gear.

NFL, bunch of overfed pansies.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sexxxxy(f): 12:43pm On Feb 28, 2007
sharetroll,troll remix, U RE IGNORANT,watch football aka soccer(a retarded word for it) and u'll appreciate it(watch it properly, so u can understand it,make sure ur blinkers r fully on,
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Eastcoast(f): 1:54pm On Feb 28, 2007
This topic is so funny. Men, I used to be an extreme lover of soccer. Like wow, my family was even getting scared at my love of the game. Then, all of a sudden, i moved to the fast past world of america and my life made a 360. I love FOOTBALL, the game is so amazing. In my opinion, it is more entertaining than soccer, something is always going on, either the qb just threw an interception, Defensive lb just sacked the qb, punt returned for td, or the game is on the line and you need the  kicker to make a 60 yard field goal for the win. Something is always going on. Unlike soccer where they just keep passing the ball and turning it over and over for 90mins. Since i discovered football, its been ver difficult for me to enjoy my first love.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 2:20pm On Feb 28, 2007
Eastcoast:

This topic is so funny. Men, I used to be an extreme lover of soccer. Like wow, my family was even getting scared at my love of the game. Then, all of a sudden, i moved to the fast past world of america and my life made a 360. I love FOOTBALL, the game is so amazing. In my opinion, it is more entertaining than soccer, something is always going on, either the qb just threw an interception, Defensive lb just sacked the qb, punt returned for td, or the game is on the line and you need the kicker to make a 60 yard field goal for the win. Something is always going on. Unlike soccer where they just keep passing the ball and turning it over and over for 90mins. Since i discovered football, its been ver difficult for me to enjoy my first love.

I love you.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 2:24pm On Feb 28, 2007
sexxxxy:

sharetroll,troll remix, U RE IGNORANT,watch football aka soccer(a retarded word for it) and u'll appreciate it(watch it properly, so u can understand it,make sure your blinkers r fully on,

Haha, I'm in trouble, that's funny. Some computer junkie types up a blazing insult and hits "post" with her mouse button while she eats a tv dinner?

Uh oh, maybe this post will get me in "trouble." Better watch out.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 2:42pm On Feb 28, 2007
Donzman:

lol @ American Football

Jealousy. You are jealous of all of the attention that football gets. I ran track in high school, and many of the non-reveue sport athletes were insanely down on football and basketball. Some would even apply the "dumb jock" stereotypes to football players and basketball players, when the general public applies those same stereotypes to athletes of their sports, too. But I had a different attitude b/c I played football, too. I knew that the revenue sports (especially basketball) funded the non-revenue sports.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you.  That applies to general soccer population, as well. The NFL and college football bring a lot of money to a lot of communities that their economies wouldn't have, otherwise.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by texazzpete(m): 4:07pm On Feb 28, 2007
Funny post!
Sharetroll (a known rabble-rouser and attention seeker) started this discussion yabbing Soccer because 'lots of violence goes on in it'.
trollremix takes the other side and tells us how many people have died from exhaustion and how people daily strive not to be killed on the field.

So would the trolls just make up their minds and decide what they wanna say?

anyway, i'm biased! it's never been much fun playing any NFL game right from GameBoy to Xbox360. Soccer on the other hand, !
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by texazzpete(m): 4:08pm On Feb 28, 2007
why the Bleep does three dots automatically turn into a comma? I use it a lot and it always IRRITATES me when that happens lipsrsealed
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 4:14pm On Feb 28, 2007
texazzpete:

Funny post!
Sharetroll (a known rabble-rouser and attention seeker) started this discussion yabbing Soccer because 'lots of violence goes on in it'.
trollremix takes the other side and tells us how many people have died from exhaustion and how people daily strive not to be killed on the field.

So would the trolls just make up their minds and decide what they want to say?

anyway, i'm biased! it's never been much fun playing any NFL game right from GameBoy to Xbox360. Soccer on the other hand, !

How was my statements contradictory?
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 6:59pm On Feb 28, 2007
Eastcoast:

This topic is so funny. Men, I used to be an extreme lover of soccer. Like wow, my family was even getting scared at my love of the game. Then, all of a sudden, i moved to the fast past world of america and my life made a 360. I love FOOTBALL, the game is so amazing. In my opinion, it is more entertaining than soccer, something is always going on, either the qb just threw an interception, Defensive lb just sacked the qb, punt returned for td, or the game is on the line and you need the kicker to make a 60 yard field goal for the win. Something is always going on. Unlike soccer where they just keep passing the ball and turning it over and over for 90mins. Since i discovered football, its been ver difficult for me to enjoy my first love.

She just made a VERY good point. There is ALWAYS something going on in an american football game. It is very involved. And once again, people, there's a reason they wear helmets. It's not cuz they're skinny little guys that headbutt each other running up and down the field.

Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 7:17pm On Feb 28, 2007
That last pic you posted brings back so much much memories. The Miami Hurricanes was known to play dirty back then given the title the "bad-boys of Miami". You know what was funny: Miami won the championship in 1987. . .then they put the school on probation 1988 b/c fans were buying the players assets like jewelry & new cars. . .we came back & won the National Championship again in 1989, then was put on probation again for vitually behavior problems in 1990. . . .then we won again in '91. Man, did the Hurricanes dominate the 80's. Every team despised us b/c of out arrogance on top of the fact that we were soooo good. As a little baby, my dad would take me to the Orange Bowl to watch team practice & meetings. . . .

Good 'ole days. . .
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by LoverBwoy(m): 7:18pm On Feb 28, 2007
how much do you weigh @ shsonline and troll? maybe that'll tell us something  wink

Why does the Referee explain to the viewers every time there's a stoppage? are the audience dumb or blind? Oops i 4got it's america-   grin

After every tackle the guys celebrate like some hippies

I'll tell you how demanding, these are not just little kids, these are the largest, most muscular, physically gifted men in the country smashing and pounding against each other and running into each other at track and field like speeds.

That sounds erm wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Players Lionel Messi Has Assisted / Tokyo2020 Female Basketball: Nigeria Loses 62 -87 To France / I Knew I’ll Score Against Chelsea, Says Ndidi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.