Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

American Football Is Better Than Soccer! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / American Football Is Better Than Soccer! (24822 Views)

Poll: Which sport is better?

American Football: 20% (17 votes)
Soccer: 79% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Amuneke Beat-up Iheanachos' American Football Agent / Nigeria Is Ready For American Football / Nigerian in the American "Football" League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:26pm On Feb 28, 2007
again shsonline, rugby players do the same with each other and you don't see them wearing protective nonsense.
They arent lard asses either
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 7:31pm On Feb 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

again shsonline, rugby players do the same with each other and you don't see them wearing protective nonsense.
They arent lard asses either

Rugby is a tough guy sport, I agree. But were we talking about rugby? NFL football and rugby are two of the most dangerous sports, and just in case you didn't know, they didn't used to play with helmets and pads, its an evolution of the game as people got bigger, stronger, and faster and the injuries mounted, it became necessary. Since when does wearing gear to save your life make you a sissy, anyway? That's just silly. You'd rather not wear a bullet proof vest when you're a cop, or not buckle your seatbelt when you drive? Wearing protective gear does not make what you do sissy, it just makes you smart.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by my2cents(m): 7:33pm On Feb 28, 2007
I think the question should be rephrased as, "American Football more violent than soccer?" tongue
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 7:36pm On Feb 28, 2007
my2cents:

I think the question should be rephrased as, "American Football more violent than soccer?" tongue

Tell the guy that changed the title
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:40pm On Feb 28, 2007
lol so it's ok for Americans to call "soccer" a "sissy" sport yet when we show to them that if anything it's their own fake version of football that is the one that requires all the protective gear in the world then it's not ok?
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 7:43pm On Feb 28, 2007

Da U BABY!!!

Known for our nasty defense. . . .

[img]http://69.16.200.96/images/article_photos/midseas5.jpg[/img]

My former classmate. . . . .Devin Hester. The mfer actually spoke well in class.

[img]http://www.chicousd.org/~cbailey/stu/s05/sb/topic/DevinHester.jpg[/img]
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 7:45pm On Feb 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

lol so it's ok for Americans to call "soccer" a "sissy" sport yet when we show to them that if anything it's their own fake version of football that is the one that requires all the protective gear in the world then it's not ok?
I still have yet to see where someone called soccer "sissy" in this thread. Actually the people who've mentioned soccer have said they respect it they just like football better. Its the people who talk about American football that are disrespectful about it.

And american football and soccer have VERY little in common except both have balls. Maybe if we all open up our minds a little we can understand that there are things to be appreciated in BOTH games. Just because you don't prefer one over the other doesn't make the other "sissy" or bad.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 28, 2007
@sharetroll

Jealousy. You are jealous of all of the attention that football gets. I ran track in high school, and many of the non-reveue sport athletes were insanely down on football and basketball. Some would even apply the "dumb jock" stereotypes to football players and basketball players, when the general public applies those same stereotypes to athletes of their sports, too. But I had a different attitude b/c I played football, too. I knew that the revenue sports (especially basketball) funded the non-revenue sports. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. That applies to general soccer population, as well. The NFL and college football bring a lot of money to a lot of communities that their economies wouldn't have, otherwise.

How does that make it a better sport again?. . .Football brings income to the world's most impoverished.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:57pm On Feb 28, 2007
shsonline:

I still have yet to see where someone called soccer "sissy" in this thread.

Last I checked, I said in AMERICA, I never said IN this thread and even then the thread starter pretty much called it a sissy sprt but that's beside the point. Go out and do a servey in The States about "soccer" and see the reponses, alot will be "pansy". "sissy" blah blah, yet they are the ones all potected like Fort Knox
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 8:03pm On Feb 28, 2007
Donzman:

@sharetroll

How does that make it a better sport again?. . .Football brings income to the world's most impoverished.

Football requires VERY different body and skill types.  You won't see Soccer players make some of the spectacular catches while flying through the air and somehow keeping their feet inbounds, or require the raw power to shake off immensely strong 250+ pound tacklers.

Football is more of a pure power sport, and it requires more athleticism. Watch the football games, you'll know what I mean. . .
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:05pm On Feb 28, 2007
catches? no. astonishing head balls and kicks? Yes cheesy
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 8:07pm On Feb 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Last I checked, I said in AMERICA, I never said IN this thread and even then the thread starter pretty much called it a sissy sprt but that's beside the point. Go out and do a servey in The States about "soccer" and see the reponses, alot will be "pansy". "sissy" blah blah, yet they are the ones all potected like Fort Knox

Many responses, but not the main reason. More kids play Soccer growing up. So they know how to play, but on the beautiful summer day when they're deciding what to do. . . .they don't choose soccer. Too many better choices.  

And I have one word for you. . . .Golf
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:08pm On Feb 28, 2007
Golf bores me to tears.

even tennis is better than american football.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 8:13pm On Feb 28, 2007
Soccer is more of an endurance and finesse sport, but there isn't a single world class sprinter in professional Soccer.   There are many in the NFL.  

Apparently people have no idea just how big, fast and strong NFL players are. Just look at some of the combine numbers from NFL hopefuls.  

Take Calvin Johnson. . . .guy ran a 4.35 40 yard dash. No one on any professional soccer team can run that. These guys are NCAA sprint champions. It's safe to say that Johnson is far far stronger than any Soccer player. And when I say far stronger, I mean that he's far far far stronger. And then. . .consider that Johnson is 239 lbs. OMG! He's bigger, stronger and faster than any Soccer player anywhere. We're talking pure athleticism here. Of course, the Soccer player has a skill which Johnson does not. So what. A pro bowler has a skill too. Oh. . .and Johnson has a vertical jump over 45".  

Calvin Johnson wasn't even the fastest guy there. One guy ran a 4.32. And he's 204 lbs. Adrian Peterson is a huge guy and ran a 4.3.  

The are 280 lb guys in the NFL that can run a 4.55.  

Bottom line. . .athletically, Soccer dudes don't remotely compare to the guys in the NFL. And if you think about it. . . .

LeBron James is bigger than anyone in pro Soccer.

LeBron James is stronger than anyone in pro Soccer.

LeBron James is faster than anyone in pro Soccer.

If you want me I can bring the stats out as well. I'm a stat freak.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 8:15pm On Feb 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Golf bores me to tears.

even tennis is better than american football.

My point exactly: Is Golf popular here?
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:17pm On Feb 28, 2007
Didnt you just get on my ass about bringing up basketball and now you're bringing up LeBron?
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 8:19pm On Feb 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Didnt you just get on my ass about bringing up basketball and now you're bringing up LeBron?

LeBron actually played football in high/secondary school. Besides, LeBron isn't the only example I gave in my post. . .
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by seeni4ever(m): 8:52pm On Feb 28, 2007
this is rugby and they tackles like american footballers. american football is dumb, if they want to show that they are not sissys they they should try to play like rugby players or soccer players

Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Tornadoz(m): 9:02pm On Feb 28, 2007
Who ever thought of of this topic? In a Nigerian forum you think you really can convince us that American style rugby is better than soccer. If you live in America chances are you will love American football. What's next is, other Nigerians living in Australia will now say Australian rules football is the best thing since slice bread. Many others in Ireland will now say Gaelic football is better than soccer. Call it American, Australia or Gaelic football, they are all different variations of Rugby. There's only one football, the one played with your feet.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by seeni4ever(m): 9:10pm On Feb 28, 2007
american football is boring. how come they  divide a 60 min game into four quarters, that shows how sissy they are. games is not how fast or how big you are but how much you can endure. have you ever try to play soccer for 45 min? being big doesnt make you a strong man. a strong man can be determine on how far you can go without calling time out every 5 minutes.
trollremix:

Football requires VERY different body and skill types.  You won't see Soccer players make some of the spectacular catches while flying through the air and somehow keeping their feet inbounds, or require the raw power to shake off immensely strong 250+ pound tacklers.

Football is more of a pure power sport, and it requires more athleticism. Watch the football games, you'll know what I mean. . .
why need a two different teams to play a stupid game
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 9:22pm On Feb 28, 2007
So your complaint about american football is its not about endurance? Of course your wrong as it takes endurance to run in pads throughout the game but if sports were all about how long you could do one thing, I gues that makes crosscountry and skiing and swimming the best sports ever, right? Wrong. Endurance isn't the only thing that makes a great sport and if that's all soccer is, y have a ball?
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 9:51pm On Feb 28, 2007
seeni4ever:

american football is boring. how come they divide a 60 min game into four quarters, that shows how sissy they are. games is not how fast or how big you are but how much you can endure. have you ever try to play soccer for 45 min? being big doesnt make you a strong man. a strong man can be determine on how far you can go without calling time out every 5 minutes.why need a two different teams to play a stupid game

Did you bump your head? Are you bleeding? Do you need someone to call you a doctor?

Please God someone help him before its too late!!! The shere horror and madness could have easily been avoided if someone was around to help him.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by seeni4ever(m): 10:03pm On Feb 28, 2007
trollremix, your mama drop in trash bin or what. me no want gay they yan shit like that to me
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deejay1(m): 10:05pm On Feb 28, 2007
Soccer is not popular in the US because it doesn't match up well with American culture. dat is american colture despite that i love both games i wil stand to soccer as more fun and better than american football
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 10:06pm On Feb 28, 2007
Tornadoz:

Who ever thought of of this topic? In a Nigerian forum you think you really can convince us that American style rugby is better than soccer. If you live in America chances are you will love American football. What's next is, other Nigerians living in Australia will now say Australian rules football is the best thing since slice bread. Many others in Ireland will now say Gaelic football is better than soccer. Call it American, Australia or Gaelic football, they are all different variations of Rugby. There's only one football, the one played with your feet.

I'll tell you what. I don't know much about Rugby, but any time I see a match on TV I am fixated. I don't know much about classical music, but I can tell you Tchaikovsky's Pathetique is an amazing piece of work. Not liking Soccer has nothing to do with a lack of patience or a lack of understanding. It's a sport commonly decided by one goal, and that one goal is too often decided by guys throwing themselves to the ground to draw a foul. I'll tell you what, that sport is not for me.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 10:11pm On Feb 28, 2007
deejay1:

Soccer is not popular in the US because it doesn't match up well with American culture.

That is one of the major reasons, good job.

deejay1:

that is american colture despite that i love both games i wil stand to soccer as more fun and better than american football

To be fair, I think the kids would probably be more into Soccer if they showed games and highlights on ESPN. Once every few weeks they show a game in the afternoon, ESPN plays a game but other than that, nothing. They show poker re-runs all day long, (which is a joke) but won't put on a game.  On SportsCenter the only highlight they show is of a missed shot, otherwise nothing. Kids just arent exposed to Soccer like they are the other major sports.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by WesleyanA(f): 10:12pm On Feb 28, 2007
american football is stupid to me.
and i would like to, by all means, attend a college where soccer, rather than Amer. football, is popular (there are very few of them, but they exist fortunately for me)

cheesy cheesy cheesy VIVA LE FOOT (soccer) cheesy cheesy cheesy

i wouldn't say one is better than the other since it's all about opinion and what one's used to.
i personally LOVE SOCCER
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by thecolonel: 10:45pm On Feb 28, 2007
Both Game are wonderful .

It actually got to do with interest . Cusz most Nigerians live in Nigeria might not no much bout the NFL
But we Nigerians that have lived in the States for years understand when a touch down was made
When a tackle was made and which team has the best defense or offense .

But ev'rything got to do with ya intrest .
(Cusz I still know some Nigerians n' we americans that live here for years that still don't love NFL)
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2007
seeni4ever:

trollremix, your mama drop in trash bin or what. me no want gay they yan shit like that to me

LOL @ this guy grinning hard & stroking his nutsack b/c some Soccer player decided to flop during his game-tying goal that merely worths a point.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by nferyn(m): 11:15pm On Feb 28, 2007
trollremix:
Football requires VERY different body and skill types. You won't see Soccer players make some of the spectacular catches while flying through the air and somehow keeping their feet inbounds, or require the raw power to shake off immensely strong 250+ pound tacklers.

There's more to athleticism than power and speed. Neither American football nor football are endurance sports, try rowing, long distance running and cycling wink
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 11:21pm On Feb 28, 2007
nferyn:

There's more to athleticism than power and speed. Neither American football nor football are endurance sports, try rowing, long distance running and cycling wink

But, who cares about rowing, cycling, etc. . .Religious threads are your real home. Endure it.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by LoverBwoy(m): 11:26pm On Feb 28, 2007
why does the referee explains to the spectators with a loudspeaker?, like fouls, touchdowns and a flag?

Are you sure the americans understand the game themselves?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Liverpool Team Emerges As Europe's Most Valuable Squad / Players Lionel Messi Has Assisted / Tokyo2020 Female Basketball: Nigeria Loses 62 -87 To France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.