Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

American Football Is Better Than Soccer! - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / American Football Is Better Than Soccer! (24826 Views)

Poll: Which sport is better?

American Football: 20% (17 votes)
Soccer: 79% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Amuneke Beat-up Iheanachos' American Football Agent / Nigeria Is Ready For American Football / Nigerian in the American "Football" League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2008
Ibime. . . wherever u got ur facts from
u said NO nigerian plays football, one of the most ignorant statements EVER
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Ibime(m): 3:00am On Feb 27, 2008
deedami:

Ibime. . . wherever u got your facts from
u said NO nigerian plays football, one of the most ignorant statements EVER

OK, you tell me where Nigerians play American football - in Nigeria! In Aguda? or Festac? Or Warfi? or Aba or Owerri or PH? Where? - just say that you and your brother practiced it at home in Victoria Island after watching it on TV - don't tell us that it is played in Naija.  The only American football we played in Naija is the one where if somebody gives you 'opio' (i.e if someone puts the ball through your legs or nutmegs you), you will get beaten by everybody until you touch a tree. Soccer is the game of the people my brother. Everywhere in the world, from Latin America to Africa, Asia, Europe etc, Soccer is not only number one, but it TOTALLY dominates all other sports.

BTW, I watched the Superbowl last time - man I could not believe how BOOOOORING that game is. Every two seconds, the referee blows the whistle and there is no fluidity in the game. O-boy, I fell asleep quickly.

American football requires no skill except for the quarterback position. You can start playing at 18 and still become professional as long as you are big and fast. One guy in my sisters school in FGC PH went to Yankee after GCE having never played American football in his life - a few years later he was in the NFL! Look, if its brute strength or sheer athleticism I want to see, then I will watch wrestling or track and field, not American football.

To be a footballer (soccer) player, you cannot start playing football at the age of 10 sef. You have to be playing from the age of 3, 4 or 5. You hone your skill for a good 15 years before you even smell professional soccer.

All these Yankee Nigerians should hand back their Nigerian passport sef.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 7:45am On Feb 27, 2008
another dumb response, u said u there's no skill required to play football as long as u're big and fast? i wont even answer u. and yes ur uncles's sista's mumy's friend that ended up in the NFL, fo shure he athletic and skilled enoof then hey hey hey. . . cos it is not played in Nigeria, does not make we dat play it NON-Nigerian. Amobii Okoye is still a Nigerian, Gbajabiamila is a Nigerian, Udeze is still a Nigerian, Umenyiora is a Nigerian, Ogunleye an all dem nigg@s. . . tonnes of other names in the NFL and NCAA
its sickening to see how pple who have NO CLUE of the rules of the game want to come here and doubt the credibilty of a game. of course it would be boring when u dont kno shyt about the game.
if u dont like the game its not by force u watch it, dont come here and diss it, yalll dont make sens at all
learn and kno the reson why the whistle gets blown every "minute"
stop hating yall, get a life
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by doyin13(m): 7:49am On Feb 27, 2008
well i do knw the rules on the game, and while there is definitely skill involved in the game. it is largely restricted to a few positions.

That is why it is largely a blue collar sport and football players on average don't earn as much as their counterparts in basketball, baseball
and even hockey
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 8:00am On Feb 27, 2008
whhaaatttt?
u talkini about the real football or american football? cos if u mean American football, hell no no hockey player gettin more pay dan a football player, not even basketball players get more than a football player
its no longer baseball, football is now America's past time and i'll list positions for u, so i dont kno wat u mean by "few positions"
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by doyin13(m): 8:09am On Feb 27, 2008
well i do mean african football. . . .

no even try talk basketball

the kobe's. lebron's. O'neal's sure earn a lot more than
Manning's Brady's and Mcnabb's

They have bigger revenues, but the payroll on an Nfl team is way bigger.

Their contracts also are a lot more favoured towards the team than the player

In fact its such a generally known fact I can't be bothered to get you a link.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 8:10am On Feb 27, 2008
well there u go. . . Kobe's, lebrons and the big names, but on average? yeaaa
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by doyin13(m): 8:17am On Feb 27, 2008
bruv. . .its not even close

average for NFL is around 770 thousand dollars

for the nba is around 5 million dollars.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 8:19am On Feb 27, 2008
oh 4 reaLS? koo, i stand corrected
but damnn they need to crank dat cash machine up tho
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by doyin13(m): 8:23am On Feb 27, 2008
anyway. . .when did sacramento acquire an NFL team.

The kings are about the only thing to do in 'sactown' tongue
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 8:26am On Feb 27, 2008
sac dont hav a football team, we gat the raiders and 49ers nearby. (they been fukkin up lately too)
but sac gat the kings and rivercats baseball, San Fransisco dont hav a NBA team
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Ibime(m): 1:47pm On Feb 27, 2008
deedami:

because it is not played in Nigeria, does not make we that play it NON-Nigerian.

Oh - so now you admit that it is not played in Naija. I thought you said it was. Make your mind up!

You can do what you want when you reach Yankee. You can learn American football over there. Just don't come here and force it on us like it is superior to our National game. All I know is that nobody who tapped soccer in Naija goes to Yankee and then learns American Football. Only the rich kids whose mummy's didn't allow them outside to play with common Nigerians.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by BlackMamba(m): 7:41pm On Feb 27, 2008
Ibime:
All I know is that nobody who tapped soccer in Naija goes to Yankee and then learns American Football. Only the rich kids whose mummy's didn't allow them outside to play with common Nigerians.

Really?
I just didn't tap soccer but ate soccer in Naija. Growing up in my village, I easily forego the mandatory evening catchism and benediction to catch up with my daily soccer fix on Sundays. Of course lashes of my dad's whip always await me at home. The lack of quality soccer in the US helped me recover from soccermania and discover that there is equal excitement in American football, Baseball, Basketball or any other sports for that matter. All it takes is to know the rules and root for a team or player. Now, I cannot choose any soccer game over the Yankees, Jets or Knicks in that order. Maybe the Super Eagles or Enugu Rangers.

I even watch Ice Hockey (sometimes) grin
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Ibime(m): 3:28am On Feb 28, 2008
BlackMamba:

Really?
I just didn't tap soccer but ate soccer in Naija. Growing up in my village, I easily forego the mandatory evening catchism and benediction to catch up with my daily soccer fix on Sundays. Of course lashes of my dad's whip always await me at home. The lack of quality soccer in the US helped me recover from soccermania and discover that there is equal excitement in American football, Baseball, Basketball or any other sports for that matter. All it takes is to know the rules and root for a team or player. Now, I cannot choose any soccer game over the Yankees, Jets or Knicks in that order. Maybe the Super Eagles or Enugu Rangers.

I even watch Ice Hockey (sometimes) grin

Eh - that is good for you. At least you tapped soccer, so you don't disrespect it. As per say there is no good soccer in Yankee, no problem with you following another sport.

The problem is these other Yankee idiots who never tapped soccer coming here to denigrate soccer - on a Nigerian forum!
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 6:12am On Feb 28, 2008
wat is dis Ibime dude talkin about
i NEVER at any point said football was played in Nigeria, matter of fact look at my post on "is nigeria ready for american football"
i onle disagreed wit u for saying "NO NIGERIAN" me and ma homies had a football, and we used to snap the ball, and run routes, out cuts, post routes and d basic shyt in housing estate ABEOKUTA !
u talkin bout no one who played ball in Naija chhoses football over . . . . BULLSHYT, whateva anyone chooses is they personal choise, there's norules dat marry u to soccer for life.
and finally, I AM IN NO WAY FORCING FOOTBALL ON NO ONE, what pisses me off is the dumbass comparisons of football and soccer people on this thread are making. there are 2 absolutely differnt things.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by deedami(m): 6:23am On Feb 28, 2008
ohhh and, YES i played soccer all ma life in Nigeria, matter of fact i ran and played soccer throughout during the offseason to keep me fit and ready for football season, so i absolutely DONT disrespect or talk smak about soccer.
wat ticks me off is not soccer itself, its comparing soccer to football, and talkin smakk about foootball
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 19, 2008
na who start this thread? your head dey house so? is this even a question? soccer (football) all the way!!! cheesy

but i just finished watching "any given Sunday" though (a film about American football) and i kinda enjoyed it grin tongue
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Petrine: 11:02am On Oct 07, 2008
I was having a discussion elsewhere about US American Football vs European Football. I don't have that many inputs here since I'm tired of the same old arguments again and again, but this is kinda interesting since this has went on for a year and nobody has posted anything the latests months, so I had to make an account to get this started again.

It seems most of the US American Football arguments here fail, since they make no sense.
Like these ones:

European Football is racist. (??) Argument needed.

European Football are for pansies. (??) Argument flawed for showing which is the better sport.

First you state that US American football is better, because it's more manly, because it focuses on strength as one of the qualities and that US American Football players can kick a European Football player's butt any day, and the European Footballer are therefore pansies. Sure, of course they can kick their butts, because there's so much focus on being the big, strong, manly sportsman for the US American. European Footballers also focus on strength but not as much.
Secondly you state that Soccer (Football) and/or the fans are more violent, !! This doesn't really make sense, first you make an argument for the violence and then against.
Anyway the whole argument is flawed anyway. Just because a sport is more manly doesn't make it a better sport.

I don't say that US American Football is a worse sport than European Football, I watch both but I still don't get the rules of US American Football because they're too complex. There can be arguments for and against that.
For: Sports are meant for athletes, then you should have complex rules and be for those who have the money for it if you're so much into it.
Against: Sports are meant for everyone, and everyone should be able to do sports and not pay that much money for it.
This is only how you can define a sport, then the discussion is not Football anymore but "What is making a sport a sport?".

As for the troll, attention seeker's sake, he needs better arguments than namecalling and using facts as: "They are pansies, therefore (US American) Football is better", not quoting, but that's what is sounds like.

Slipping in adjectives as "pansies", "fatties", etc. doesn't make a point more valid, goes for both Football-parts, but most valid points have been made by The European Football-lovers and one of the facts are since the most ignorant here are the US American Football-lovers calling their football the "best sport in the world", while it is only played in USA and some small parts of the world. European Football is played in Europe mostly. It's already geographicly more WORLD than USA, since Europe is a continent and USA is country of united states. If we say that US American Football is played in Canada as well, then ok, European Football is played in Asia and Africa as well. Three continents vs one. Plus the majority of viewers goes to the European Football. As calling the European Football-lovers ignorant idiots because US American Football is more world than European Football is a fail itself, it's not a fact that just because it's US American it is world or better.

Again, like many have said, it's like comparing apples with oranges.
I'm a European Football-person (but I play better basketball). I love the fact that you can play with your foot through a whole match, that's the main reason I think it's the REAL football, not a better sport particulary, but it's foot and feet. US American Football is handball, it's focused on the hands.

Arguments

Foot = The anatomic part where your leg ends.
Hand = The anatomic part where your arm ends.

European Footballers play with Foot, kicking the ball, always/only using the Foot.
European Footballers can use everything except their Arms and Hand to gain control of the ball, but as long as the ball is in play the Foot is used.
European Footballers only use Hand when doing a throw-in when the ball is out of the field on the long sides, and the goalkeeper is the only one who can use Hand when playing on the field but only in his "area".

US American Footballers play with their Hand, throwing the ball.
US American Footballers can use everything except their Foot and Legs to gain control of the ball. (Just correct me if I'm wrong, but read next argument as well)
US American Footballers can only use Foot in the beginning of a half and during free kicks.

To conclude:
Since the most focused area of European Football is the foot and US American Football is the hand, then European Football is more "Foot"ball than US American Football.

Again this doesn't make either of them a better sport either since the two focuses are different and therefore not comparable. It's not objective to see which one is the better sport -> it's subjective. Then you can rant each other for an eternity and never come to a conclusion.

I call it US American since "America" are two continents: North America and South America.
USA are some united states of America.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by A40(m): 11:23am On Oct 07, 2008
Why on earth do they call that Sport Football and the real Football Soccer its a question i have always been asking since i was little i was not always a fan of American Football but since i got to understand the game its been pretty interesting but Soccer is still The King of all Sports

There are a lot of Nigerians in the NFL probably more than any other African country but we definitely know they didn't learn the game in Nigeria.The likes of Gbajabiamila,Umenyiora,Ayodele,Nwaneri e.t.c
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by bawomolo(m): 3:03pm On Oct 07, 2008

That is why it is largely a blue collar sport and football players on average don't earn as much as their counterparts in basketball, baseball
and even hockey

hockey is actually a broke man's sport(who still watches hockey?). basketballers earn more than football players due to small roster size. football have to keep a 53 man active squad and then a practice squad. the veterans minimum in the nba is 1.3million while the NFL's minimum is about 750,000. the edge basketball players have is guaranteed contracts.

i find american football more interesting that football lately, heck i would watch college football rather than watch the african nations cup grin
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by platinumnk(f): 8:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
Sha, soccer is boring. .

Give me the Superbowl anyday grin
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by biina: 10:54pm On Aug 12, 2009
@topic
American [b]Foot[/b]ball: A game in which only 1 or 2 players in a 50+ squad are allowed to kick the ball, everybody else uses their hands. undecided
The silly game would have been better named American Handball.
The likely reason for calling it football is to borrow from the fame of the original sport.

Fans for any sport can get violent, but it is only in the NFL that criminal prosecution and/or conviction of the players are common place
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by mamagee3(f): 2:06am On May 04, 2010
American Football is the dumbest Sport ever!

I mean, Why is it even called "Football" when it clearly has nothing to do with the foot. . .

And to think they take that joke of a sport soo serious is really funny.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by jokingmary(m): 11:43am On May 05, 2010
Soccer is 100% better then American Football
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by davidif: 4:02am On May 13, 2010
Comparing both sports is like comparing apple and oranges.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by jalether(m): 1:24pm On May 13, 2010
Anyone that even disputes the FACT that the real football is 150% better and more prestigious than American hand[b]foot [/b]ball undecided

deserves a gospel a$$ whooping, Why not compare Shawn Bradley to michael jordan. rubbish
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by snakova(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2010
HONERIC i think you should be locking this errogenous thread.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Amhatu(m): 5:11pm On Jun 17, 2010
Americans do not understand the meaning of a definition.

Football - ball moves with foot.

Run-Throwball & Tackle - Quarterback hikes ball throws or hands off to person or keeps ball (Should be what americans call their game).

Know one in Europe or Africa have heard of the name soccer only ,mostly on American channels.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by EloSela(f): 5:37pm On Jun 17, 2010
American football is a rip-off off the English's Rugby. grin grin

And what is with the skimpy tights they like to wear? LOL
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Rooneyboy(m): 7:05pm On Jul 03, 2011
whatever.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Rooneyboy(m): 7:07pm On Jul 03, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Folarin Balogun: The English Youngster At Reims Outscoring Messi, Mbappe, Neymar / Troost-Ekong Wins Promotion To EPL With Watford / Tokyo2020 Female Basketball: Nigeria Loses 62 -87 To France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.