Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,726 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard (19532 Views)

Big Python Killed In Our Farm Swallowed 2 Turkeys (Pictured) / my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys / How Many Bag Of Feed Do I Need In Rearing 100 Broilers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by nwabuwa: 9:33am On Aug 06, 2017
Coldplay007:

not gram.. it's pounds(lb)
Interesting,learnt..never knew lbs is Pound's
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by mecuzee(m): 1:43pm On Aug 06, 2017
Nice one! I like the way you observe and monitor your birds! They'll perform well...

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by adaeze91(f): 10:16pm On Aug 07, 2017
pls my fellow agrilanders where can i buy good point of lay, pls help i am a newbie
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
mecuzee:
Nice one! I like the way you observe and monitor your birds! They'll perform well...
Thanks a lot...hope so too
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by adeyiks: 5:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
Learn how to make massive profit from livestock farming. www.agroknowledge.com

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 5:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
Apologies for the break...

Day 17 (06/08/17)
Moved birds from brooding to main pen.9 Turkeys will still be in brooding for 4-6wks.
Mortality so far is 6 i.e 5 broilers and 1 foreign turkey.
Introduced birds to ginger and garlic extract.
Birds are liking the fermented feed.it has truly reduced their feed consumption.

Day 18 (07/08/17)
A neighbor picked 25 out of the broilers at N380 per bird.
Gave ginger and garlic extract-1 spoon to 4 ltrs.
4th bag of feed finishing today.

Day 19 (08/08/17)
Opened 5th bag of feed,expected to be taken for 3+days.
Started anticossi,to be taken for 3days.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 7:30am On Aug 10, 2017
Day 20 (09/08/17)

2nd day of anticossi.
Lost a 2 weeks old foreign turkey,she had been sick since arrival.
Fed birds fermented feed mixed with dried papaya,Bitter and scent leaves.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by Smartslim17: 10:33am On Aug 10, 2017
tasho105:
Day 20 (09/08/17)

2nd day of anticossi.
Lost a 2 weeks old foreign turkey,she had been sick since arrival.
Fed birds fermented feed mixed with dried papaya,Bitter and scent leaves.

Pls Wat is fermented feed, nd how did you prepared it? Thanks
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 11:27am On Aug 10, 2017
Smartslim17:

Copied...

Fermented Feed

What the heck is fermented feed and why on earth would you want to give it to chickens?

Fermentation has been used for hundreds of years by many cultures to preserve and enhance foods. If you have ever consumed cheese, yogurt, sourdough bread, wine, beer kimchi or sauerkraut (just to name a few) you have eaten a fermented food.

The fermentation process uses naturally occurring bacteria to partially break down the food, improving its enzyme content and increasing its levels of vitamins B, C and K. It also makes food more digestible, and boosts the "usable" protein level by about 12 percent.

The other benefits to using fermented feed:
Feed consumption and waste will drop by 1/2 to 3/4 (this will save you money)
Poultry on a diet of fermented feed are generally healthier and less likely to contract disease
There is almost zero waste as chickens don't scratch through it, kicking it out of the feeder
Stools become more solid and many people report less smell in the coop and run!
Egg yolks of eggs laid by hens on fermented feed will become noticeably larger, and shells will be more solid
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 11:50am On Aug 10, 2017
tasho105:

Copied...

Fermented Feed

What the heck is fermented feed and why on earth would you want to give it to chickens?

Fermentation has been used for hundreds of years by many cultures to preserve and enhance foods. If you have ever consumed cheese, yogurt, sourdough bread, wine, beer kimchi or sauerkraut (just to name a few) you have eaten a fermented food.

The fermentation process uses naturally occurring bacteria to partially break down the food, improving its enzyme content and increasing its levels of vitamins B, C and K. It also makes food more digestible, and boosts the "usable" protein level by about 12 percent.

The other benefits to using fermented feed:
Feed consumption and waste will drop by 1/2 to 3/4 (this will save you money)
Poultry on a diet of fermented feed are generally healthier and less likely to contract disease
There is almost zero waste as chickens don't scratch through it, kicking it out of the feeder
Stools become more solid and many people report less smell in the coop and run!
Egg yolks of eggs laid by hens on fermented feed will become noticeably larger, and shells will be more solid
H
Smartslim17:

How to prepare fermented feed;

Soak whatever feed meant for chicken in a chemical-free water in a bucket. Add 1-2 spoons of lactobacillus and mix everything very well, then cover it with water.Leave for 24-48hrs.At least once a day, or whenever you remember, give the feed a stir and add more water as needed to make sure they stay submerged.
When you start to see a layer of bubbles on the surface of your liquid, voilà — you have lacto-fermentation in process. The bubbles are the off-gassing of carbon dioxide by lactic acid bacteria. The water will appear cloudy and the top layer may seem filmy and foamy, but rest assured these are the normal effects of all that bacteria at work. You can simply stir the “scum” back into the feed when you see it.
Check by bubbles and by smell. When it takes on a strong and sour smell, you can scoop out and strain the appropriate amount of grains for your chickens and feed it to them wet. Watch them go crazy for it!

Hope this will be helpful
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by Smartslim17: 5:56pm On Aug 10, 2017
tasho105:

H

How to prepare fermented feed;

Soak whatever feed meant for chicken in a chemical-free water in a bucket. Add 1-2 spoons of lactobacillus and mix everything very well, then cover it with water.Leave for 24-48hrs.At least once a day, or whenever you remember, give the feed a stir and add more water as needed to make sure they stay submerged.
When you start to see a layer of bubbles on the surface of your liquid, voilà — you have lacto-fermentation in process. The bubbles are the off-gassing of carbon dioxide by lactic acid bacteria. The water will appear cloudy and the top layer may seem filmy and foamy, but rest assured these are the normal effects of all that bacteria at work. You can simply stir the “scum” back into the feed when you see it.
Check by bubbles and by smell. When it takes on a strong and sour smell, you can scoop out and strain the appropriate amount of grains for your chickens and feed it to them wet. Watch them go crazy for it!

Hope this will be helpful

Wow!!, thanks for dis, I will surely try it out
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 8:14pm On Aug 10, 2017
Day 21
3Rd and last day of anticossi.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by treasuremi1(m): 7:46am On Aug 11, 2017
Good morning bro,ow is ur poultry doing? Pls what size of room did u put the 100 boilers and 20 turkey? Are u planning to change them to another location? Will the room contain them till they become old enough for sale? Thanks
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by treasuremi1(m): 7:48am On Aug 11, 2017
Can u post pictures of ur birds and the poultry pls? It will be appreciated. Thanks
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 12:52pm On Aug 11, 2017
treasuremi1:
Good morning bro,ow is ur poultry doing? Pls what size of room did u put the 100 boilers and 20 turkey? Are u planning to change them to another location? Will the room contain them till they become old enough for sale? Thanks
Poc...I had the plan of ordering for 100 broilers and 20 foreign turkey when I started this thread,but I later changed my mind due to some reasons which I am still going to discuss here.
I eventually ordered for 160 broilers+10 extra,6 local turkey and 4 foreign turkey.
Sold 25broilers @ 2 wks,with mortality I think I'm now left with 125+ broilers in the pen.Turkeys are still in brooding.
The pen size is 12ft by 16ft.It can accommodate 100 adult birds.presently we are using like 60% of the pen so as to restrict birds movement.i am going to dispose more broilers at four weeks and retain 50 till Xmas.

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by nwabuwa: 7:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
Weldon tasho..but to me it is too early to stock against Xmas..early September to early October is the best..
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2017
nwabuwa:
Weldon tasho..but to me it is too early to stock against Xmas..early September to early October is the best..
Yes I know,I'm rasing them to attain their full size and then shed the excess fat by placing them on special diet by xmas

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 9:17am On Aug 12, 2017
Day 22:
2nd gumboro vaccine.
Gave birds fermented mixed with normal feed-4.2kg
Served them the last shot of the 5th bag.
Vitamins was given after vaccine.
Birds are doing excellently ok
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by treasuremi1(m): 1:59pm On Aug 13, 2017
tasho105:

Poc...I had the plan of ordering for 100 broilers and 20 foreign turkey when I started this thread,but I later changed my mind due to some reasons which I am still going to discuss here.
I eventually ordered for 160 broilers+10 extra,6 local turkey and 4 foreign turkey.
Sold 25broilers @ 2 wks,with mortality I think I'm now left with 125+ broilers in the pen.Turkeys are still in brooding.
The pen size is 12ft by 16ft.It can accommodate 100 adult birds.presently we are using like 60% of the pen so as to restrict birds movement.i am going to dispose more broilers at four weeks and retain 50 till Xmas.

Nice. Thanks and God increase ur coast bro
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2017
Day 23:
Noticed some whitish with little red poo while changing the litter this morning.Gave them diclosol,to be taken for 2 days-1ml in 4ltrs.

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 6:17pm On Aug 14, 2017
Day 24:
Day 2 of diclosol.
Birds poop is getting better.Noticed 2 birds not feeding,had to separate them and gave them diclosol and vitamin.
lost the smallest Sayed today.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2017
Lost the last 8 wks old turkey of my 2nd batch today.
I lost the cost of buying the birds and the cost of feeding them for over 8 weeks - very painful

I am on the 3Rd batch of birds in my backyard.

The first batch arrived 23/05/17 - 50 FIDAN broilers and 5 foreign turkeys ordered from poultry plaza.Culled 41 broilers at 9+wks and put in the freezer to sell to neighbors and friends, lost the 5 foreign turkeys.

The second batch arrived 16/06/17 - 50 Zartech Cobb 700 and 12 local turkey ordered from a nairalander.This batch was supposed to be better than the first but I started losing them right from the day I got them.Before 2 wks I had lost more than half of the turkeys and like 20 broilers-hard luck you would say.

This thread is for the third batch which I received on 21/07/17. i wanted to order for 100 broilers and 20 foreign turkeys when I started the thread but I later changed my mind when I got to know the wayo most of these agents play when you order for birds.

A short story--- I reside in Abuja but I am originally from Ibadan.i spent the best part of my life in Ibadan at Oluyole Estate where most hatcheries are.
So when I was about to order the third batch,my brother in Ibadan let me know that he could get them for me from the open market by Obasanjo farms in Oluyole and give to the drivers that normally hang around teachers' house.He gave me the prices and I realised that it's a lot cheaper.He even told me about how the agents used to change cartons and birds.
I eventually saved lots of money and got healthy and quality birds at the end of the day.
I had no plans of buying plain carton but when I discovered a childhood friend with a quality breeder,he sells day old chicks too...so I picked from him a carton of broilers + 10 extra birds at N80 per bird,4 foreign turkeys at N1400 and 6 local turkeys at N350.
I also bought a carton of Sayed at N130,at a time the agents were selling at N160/170.I bought a carton of male line at 150,agents were selling N190/200 then.You can imagine how much I saved.

Dear Nairalanders,pls be informed that you can book your birds directly from all hatcheries on phone if you have their contacts.You can get the contacts from their websites.i am sure of Nastech,Zartech,Foresight,NPG...Also Amo but their minimum order is 500 birds.
Let us try as much as possible to avoid these agents that sell substandard and unhealthy birds,or change birds from branded to plain cartons.It's always painful when you invest your hard earned money and achieve nothing at the end.

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by Biotics: 8:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
The Organic Booster and Deodourizer (OBD) made from Lactic Acid is a wholesome product and the most commonly used Probiotic agent that improves growth performance, feed conversion efficiency, nutrient utilization, intestinal microbiota, gut health and regulates immune system in animals especially, Chickens, Turkeys ,Cattle, Horses, Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Dogs, Rabbit, Fishes, etc.

OBD is the Easy Solution to Odourless Farming. It also gives Optimum Production for your Broilers, Pigs, Livestock, Laying Birds, It also Boost Broilers Development and improves Immunity in Poultry Birds, Fish and Animals generally. It is the Solution for Fish Ponds dirty/foul water removal, healthy and rapid Fish Growth.

Your animals will not also fall sick on E-Coli and Salmonella which means less spending on drugs because it improves their immune system.

Therefore TAKE the ADVANTAGE of this wonderful Product and Start FARMING ANYWHERE without disturbing your Neighbours or NEIGHBOURHOOD.

OBD is the Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry, Piggery and Fish Farming, Also an effective FOUL ODOUR REMOVAL for Farms, Households, Sewage, Dust Bins, etc.

BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES is a SUPERFOOD [/b]and has strong [b]NUTRITIONAL VALUE with many HEALTH BENEFITS.

It has been proven in ruminant i.e. livestock that when molasses accounts for more than 50% of the diet, the digestibility of all types of feeds that accompany the molasses is depressed often to the point of only half the value recorded when molasses is not given.

Molasses is high in iron, magnesium, potassium, and calcium, all of which are important to animal's and man's health.

The OBD is =N=1,000 per Litre and the Blackstrap Molasses is =N=1,500 per Litre.

Kindly call or Whatsapp 09096429203 to place your order.

Thanking you for your Patronage.

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by nwabuwa: 12:55am On Aug 15, 2017
tasho105:
Lost the last 8 wks old turkey of my 2nd batch today.
I lost the cost of buying the birds and the cost of feeding them for over 8 weeks - very painful

I am on the 3Rd batch of birds in my backyard.

The first batch arrived 23/05/17 - 50 FIDAN broilers and 5 foreign turkeys ordered from poultry plaza.Culled 41 broilers at 9+wks and put in the freezer to sell to neighbors and friends, lost the 5 foreign turkeys.

The second batch arrived 16/06/17 - 50 Zartech Cobb 700 and 12 local turkey ordered from a nairalander.This batch was supposed to be better than the first but I started losing them right from the day I got them.Before 2 wks I had lost more than half of the turkeys and like 20 broilers-hard luck you would say.

This thread is for the third batch which I received on 21/07/17. i wanted to order for 100 broilers and 20 foreign turkeys when I started the thread but I later changed my mind when I got to know the wayo most of these agents play when you order for birds.

A short story--- I reside in Abuja but I am originally from Ibadan.i spent the best part of my life in Ibadan at Oluyole Estate where most hatcheries are.
So when I was about to order the third batch,my brother in Ibadan let me know that he could get them for me from the open market by Obasanjo farms in Oluyole and give to the drivers that normally hang around teachers' house.He gave me the prices and I realised that it's a lot cheaper.He even told me about how the agents used to change cartons and birds.
I eventually saved lots of money and got healthy and quality birds at the end of the day.
I had no plans of buying plain carton but when I discovered a childhood friend with a quality breeder,he sells day old chicks too...so I picked from him a carton of broilers + 10 extra birds at N80 per bird,4 foreign turkeys at N1400 and 6 local turkeys at N350.
I also bought a carton of Sayed at N130,at a time the agents were selling at N160/170.I bought a carton of male line at 150,agents were selling N190/200 then.You can imagine how much I saved.

Dear Nairalanders,pls be informed that you can book your birds directly from all hatcheries on phone if you have their contacts.You can get the contacts from their websites.i am sure of Nastech,Zartech,Foresight,NPG...Also Amo but their minimum order is 500 birds.
Let us try as much as possible to avoid these agents that sell substandard and unhealthy birds,or change birds from branded to plain cartons.It's always painful when you invest your hard earned money and achieve nothing at the end.

I don't realy know how to thank u for this priceless information. Tasho ,u are really a great being.
it is a pity u lost ur turkeys,nt easy but our good wishes are with u.
I almost got ripped off during my last order, though poultry plaza did me bad by not packing my 6 turkeys inside boom black carton. they told me d new standard is now two birds per carton or chamber, ie four per carton.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by nwabuwa: 1:03am On Aug 15, 2017
my birds 50 chi broilers , 50 boom black and 6 turkey are 11 days today. No mortality yet, but the Black's which should be more active ain't too active.I hope dey will improve, my turkeys are feeding well compared to my last batch which are over 14 weeks now or so. I wish us well as we enjoy passionate
poultry farm work..
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 1:57am On Aug 15, 2017
nwabuwa:

I don't realy know how to thank u for this priceless information. Tasho ,u are really a great being.
it is a pity u lost ur turkeys,nt easy but our good wishes are with u.
I almost got ripped off during my last order, though poultry plaza did me bad by not packing my 6 turkeys inside boom black carton. they told me d new standard is now two birds per carton or chamber, ie four per carton.
I think Poultry plaza is a company and they have a name to protect so they may not be involved in the crooked biz that individual agents do.
Thanks for your concern though.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by nwabuwa: 6:50am On Aug 15, 2017
tasho105:

I think Poultry plaza is a company and they have a name to protect so they may not be involved in the crooked biz that individual agents do.
Thanks for your concern though.
yea, that was what they said, and it is obvious keeping the turkeys few in the box increase their survival rate.

1 Like

Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 7:02am On Aug 15, 2017
nwabuwa:

yea, that was what they said, and it is obvious keeping the turkeys few in the box increase their survival rate.
Yes.especialy foreign turkeys,they are very fragile and keeping them in the chicken carton for the long distance trip,in my case (Ibadan-Abuja) does not help.I prefer them local/foreign in a separate box and I pay the driver for the box.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 9:39pm On Aug 15, 2017
Day 25:
Started Florycol,to be taken for 3 days.
Finished the 6th,opened the 7th bag of feed.
Lost one of the 2 sick birds, the other is getting better.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 6:23am On Aug 17, 2017
Day 26 - 15/08/17
T
2nd day of Floricol.
Re: 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard by tasho105(m): 7:49pm On Aug 17, 2017
Day 27(17/08/17)

3Rd day of Floricol.
The sick bird now ok and back in the pen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Quality land Clearing, plowing and harrowing / Has Anyone Had Success Using Female Noilers For Egg Production? / Ducklings For Sale...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.