Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' (76605 Views)

Ghanaian Nurse Helps A Pregnant Woman Give Birth On The Road (Photos) / 44-Year-Old Woman Dies With Her Twins After Refusing To Give Birth Through CS / Possibility Of AA+AS Genotype Parent Give Birth To SS - Exper Opinion Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:17am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

You can still give your analysis let's here or open another thread and explain better ,I will be happy to see that from you.

change the topic first.we can start from there.thanks.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:17am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

Tell Dr Abiessuku of Chemical pathology you have poor knowledge of hemoglobininopathies. Tell Dr Osho P.O that you were sleeping in class during lectures. Partial knowledge is your problem. Pls, do not say AA and AS can produce SS in any conference. if you do, u get know in ur head. so, if chromatographymedical or pcr is used, AA and AS will still produce SS. nonsense.
That's the issue, how many people in Nigeria use genetic studies or HPLC to find out there HB genotype . all people do is HB electrophoresis and say they are AA ,AS or SS and those are the people my topic refers to , note that in the topic I didn't say that's there genotype. that's the phenotype, they wrongly refer to it as genotype.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by oluezekiel(m): 12:19am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

because op thinks he is talking to health workers or medical researchers. many people here cannot analyze it logically. we could have helped him to analyze if topic is changed.
Sincerely speaking, I got it from his first post but was feeling lazy to type. Thanks to you our 'ogas' in the medical field for bringing out more explanations to conclude it.
But please, let's try to be more accommodating in our arguments. I've gained more.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by jnrremedy(m): 12:19am On Jul 16, 2017
innosaint27:

grin shocked grin

There are many discrepancies these days with Lab results due to quackery, but that is being checked by the relevant body concerned.

There are many individuals who assume their genotype and blood group. You ask them & they tell u " i am genotype AA and blood group O+" without ever going for the test. There are others who go for the test but end up in the hands a quacks. It is highly recommended that such tests be done in Teaching Hospitals or General Hospitals. Not private facilities pls.

A father and mother who both claims to be AA but produces an offspring who is AS or SS will have lots of questions to ask. But, before they do, let them be honest with themselves and go for the test in a recommended facility. If they have done so before, let them have it repeated in that facility and elsewhere again. MUST BE A GOVT HOSPITAL. Likewise that of their offspring.

At the end of the day, the discrepancy will be uncovered.

Most times, you will discover that either of the parents had never been tested or was tested but in a quack facility where wrong result was issued.

this case is not an issue of quakery all the diagnostic test were right but judgement was poor by the doctor PR medical scientist handling the case cos they have little knowledge about it
even if the test was repeated in teaching hospital it will still come out the same
its only someone knowledgeable that will ask for further investigation before conclusion can be made
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:20am On Jul 16, 2017
jnrremedy:

I never said anywhere that AS and SS will produce SS u now that
pls read all my post and point to where I said that.
that is one thing I don't like about doctors ( i have a lot of them as freinds) they believe they know it all that nobody can know more than them

Don't mind him. From his latest post I can see he has understood the analysis u made.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:21am On Jul 16, 2017
jnrremedy:

I never said anywhere that AS and SS will produce SS u now that
pls read all my post and point to where I said that.
that is one thing I don't like about doctors ( i have a lot of them as freinds) they believe they know it all that nobody can know more than them

but you are defending op misleading topics. no doctor knows it all. and you do not generalize ok.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:23am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

That's the issue, how many people in Nigeria use genetic studies or HPLC to find out there HB genotype . all people do is HB electrophoresis and say they are AA ,AS or SS and those are the people my topic refers to , note that in the topic I didn't say that's there genotype. that's the phenotype, they wrongly refer to it as genotype.

ur topic is wrong.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by RapportNaija(m): 12:23am On Jul 16, 2017
wonderful insight into this Hb AC and Hb CC, AA AS things
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:24am On Jul 16, 2017
innosaint27:

grin shocked grin

It is important we disseminate info with valid facts especially on sensitive topics like this.

Hb electrophoresis remains the conventional diagnostic investigation for genotyping all over the world.

There are other advanced techniques like PCR and Isoelectric focusing for confirm genotypes but these investigations are very expensive & most hospitals including tertiary health facilities don't have them.

The thalassamias are known to rarely occur in the black population. The prevalence is very low.

I accepted the OP to tell us, what Thalassamias are, how they are inherited, diagnosis, clinical presentation of patients, laboratory findings in such patients etc. And not confuse the public by telling us it is possible for AA + AS = SS.

That is a fallacy & a scientific blunder!

U mean all over the word HB electrophoresis is the conventional way for genotype testing? No, at least not alone, people combine with HPLC, FBC and blood film findings , other screening test to confirm the genotype if molecular studies will not be done
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by jnrremedy(m): 12:25am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

but you are defending op misleading topics. no doctor knows it all. and you do not generalize ok.

your argument says otherwise
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:25am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Don't mind him. From his latest post I can see he has understood the analysis u made.

which analysis? what I know. it is topic that drags us to this level. it is misleading. see my first 2 posts.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by jnrremedy(m): 12:27am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

U mean all over the word HB electrophoresis is the conventional way for genotype testing? No, at least not alone, people combine with HPLC, FBC and blood film findings , other screening test to confirm the genotype if molecular studies will not be done

and he is an hematologist oooo
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:27am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

ur topic is wrong.
, did the topic say genotype AA, can you see it 'AA' . what do you want the topic to look like, just responding to you cos I could sense you are a pathologist or pathologist in training. I think you need to be more explorative and open to learning new things . bye
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by jnrremedy(m): 12:29am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

which analysis? what I know. it is topic that drags us to this level. it is misleading. see my first 2 posts.
there is nothing misleading in the op post someone with the knowledge should grab wot op was saying from the beginning u just wanted to prove its ur field so u know it all
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:29am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

so are looking for analyzer because you did not understand d journal.understand textbook first before you read journal.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:31am On Jul 16, 2017
Syphonn:

can u help us cross it so we can see where the ss comes from when on parent is AA, ITS UNBELIEVABLE

Someone got it crossed here

https://www.stjude.org/treatment/disease/sickle-cell-disease/diagnosing-sickle-cell/beta-thalassemia-trait.html
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by naijaking1: 12:32am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

You probably will not get it wrong of you do HPLC with HB electrophoresis or your electrophoresis can also quantify, but if not genotype Sbeta thal . will have an S only band on electrophoresis while A beta thal will have an A only band on electrophoresis which can be misinterpreted as SS and AA respectively

If you electrophorese valine and lysine will they come out the same? If you correctly answered no, then there is no way a good technologist will come to my office to tell me that the B-thal and Beta or alpha-thal are now migrating to the same spot on the plate. Unless your reagents are bad.
And, I think this is where you got confused. The two hemoglobinopathies don't have the same electrophoretic pattern in a good lab! So that patient you had classified as AA, or AS might have been wrong in the first place.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 12:33am On Jul 16, 2017
5 consultants of which 3 are professors, eight senior registrars, need i say more, i would have asked them but maybe during the week.
sainty2k3:

How many people of knowledge in the field of haematology do u know and if you know any have you tried to ask them
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:33am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

so are looking for analyzer because you did not understand d journal.understand textbook first before you read journal.
You don't need to be insultive as you have been , just take your time, one day in your practice this fact will be useful to you
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:35am On Jul 16, 2017
funmisticqueen:
5 consultants of which 3 are professors, eight senior registrars, need i say more, i would have asked them but maybe during the week.
Alright we can talk about it when you have asked them.
I heard it first directly from one of the country's greatest professor of haematology, and I have also verified it, seen this kind of scenarios
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:37am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:
, did the topic say genotype AA, can you see it 'AA' . what do you want the topic to look like, just responding to you cos I could sense you are a pathologist or pathologist in training. I think you need to be more explorative and open to learning new things . bye

I should learn AA and AS producing SS babies in ur laboratory. lol. ur topic can cause panic attacks. topic should be " MEDICAl LABORATORIES IN NIGERIA CAN MISDIAGNOSE AA or AS as SS'' You will now explain what people should do. that is public health education. public health information is not about bragging but to help people make right health decisions.

4 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:39am On Jul 16, 2017
naijaking1:

If you electrophorese valine and lysine will they come out the same? If you correctly answered no, then there is no way a good technologist will come to my office to tell me that the B-thal and Beta or alpha-thal are now migrating to the same spot on the plate. Unless your reagents are bad.
And, I think this is where you got confused. The two hemoglobinopathies don't have the same electrophoretic pattern in a good lab! So that patient you had classified as AA, or AS might have been wrong in the first place.
In the concept of thalassemia, one or more of the globin gene is deleted or mutated , so what is absent can not move, and yes, HbSS and HbS- b thal, will look similar on alkaline media electrophoresis
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:42am On Jul 16, 2017
nelszx:

Thalassemia wouldn't show anything (A or SS) on Hb electrophoresis. You might see HbH (Barts Haemoglobin) but definitely not A band or SS , it's best diagnosed using CBC (HB and the RBC indices) with Ferritin level
I guess we are all right , u know thalassemia is I'm spectrum ; it could be totally absent or partially absent, so in partial absence whatever is left will still be seen on electrophoresis Either its A or S
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Oyinlomobambam(m): 12:43am On Jul 16, 2017
What's the possibility of AA to SS?
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:44am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

You don't need to be insultive as you have been , just take your time, one day in your practice this fact will be useful to you

which fact? I do not ur info. if you want 20 journals on misdiagnosis in hemoglobin testing, I shall provide the links. it is ur annoying argument that take us here. initially, you were told that information is misleading but u refused to listen.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by nelszx: 12:46am On Jul 16, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Why do we have these kind of dudes pls?, they don't know and avoid learning. Use the internet. Type thalassemia in Nigeria, tell me what u get. Shit!
OK let's assume you have seen, at what frequency (rate) and what part of Nigeria did you see them. We learn everyday you know
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by joyandfaith: 12:46am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Alright we can talk about it when you have asked them.
I hears it first directly from one of the country's greatest professor of haematology, and I have also verified it, seen this kind of scenarios

the professor will deny u. u did not understand what professor said.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:47am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

which fact? I do not ur info. if you want 20 journals on misdiagnosis in hemoglobin testing, I shall provide the links. it is ur annoying argument that take us here. initially, you were told that information is misleading but u refused to listen.
Please go and sleep, there is no argument read the post, I separated phenotype from genotype and explained thalassemia briefly, no misleading information.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:47am On Jul 16, 2017
joyandfaith:

the professor will deny u. u did not understand what professor said.
smiley
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by naijaking1: 12:51am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

In the concept of thalassemia, one or more of the globin gene is deleted or mutated , so what is absent can not move, and yes, HbSS and HbS- b thal, will look similar on alkaline media electrophoresis

Ok, once again, the difference is valine and lysine.
If you don't know already, the genetic pair of the beta globulin chain of the hemoglobin is mutated, and they transcribe these amino acids instead of glutamic acid. Presence of valine or lysine changes the PH and pk values of the new hemoglobin solution so they sickle and deform in shape-a condition that makes the spleen pit them out of the circulation with resulting anemia, vaso-occlussive conditions, etc.
The electrophoresis picks up the transcribed elements, while gene splicing is what you need to make the diagnosis at the sequencing level.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:54am On Jul 16, 2017
naijaking1:

Ok, once again, the difference is valine and lysine.
If you don't know already, the genetic pair of the beta globulin chain of the hemoglobin is mutated, and they transcribe these amino acids instead of glutamic acid. Presence of valine or lysine changes the PH and pk values of the new hemoglobin solution so they sickle and deform in shape-a condition that makes the spleen pit them out of the circulation with resulting anemia, vaso-occlussive conditions, etc.
The electrophoresis picks up the transcribed elements, while gene splicing is what you need to make the diagnosis at the sequencing level.
Talking about valine and lysine you are probably referring to HbS and HbC respectively, not thalassemia
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by naijaking1: 12:55am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Someone got it crossed here

https://www.stjude.org/treatment/disease/sickle-cell-disease/diagnosing-sickle-cell/beta-thalassemia-trait.html

The site is ok for patient education, it is too basic and simplistic for physicians and serious scientist. It might be a good idea for you to make an appointment with your doctor for better explanation of this topic. It's better to look at the whole elephant, and not just the trunk, ears, or nose in isolation. You have to understand the big picture.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Fibroid Removed From A Woman Who Thought She Was Pregnant (Graphic Photos) / Indonesian Nurse Had Sex With COVID-19 Patient In Hospital Toilet / 28days Detox Slim Tea.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.