Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' (76610 Views)

Ghanaian Nurse Helps A Pregnant Woman Give Birth On The Road (Photos) / 44-Year-Old Woman Dies With Her Twins After Refusing To Give Birth Through CS / Possibility Of AA+AS Genotype Parent Give Birth To SS - Exper Opinion Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 12:56am On Jul 16, 2017
naijaking1:

The site is ok for patient education, it is too basic and simplistic for physicians and serious scientist. It might be a good idea for you to make an appointment with your doctor for better explanation of this topic. It's better to look at the whole elephant, and not just the trunk, ears, or nose in isolation. You have to understand the big picture.
Now that's funny.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by naijaking1: 12:57am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Talking about valine and lysine you are probably referring to HbS and HbC respectively, not thalassemia

If the glutamic acid mutates to valine, we have Beta-s, or HbS.
Mutation to lysine gives rise to thalassamia
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by naijaking1: 12:58am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Now that's funny.

There's nothing funny about this.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 16, 2017
anyebedgreat:
No way. This is how we know it and this is how it works.
AA + AA = AA, AA, AA, AA
AA + AS = AA, AS, AA, AS
AA + SS = AS, AS, AS, AS
AA + AC = AA, AA, AA, AC
AS + AS = AA, AS, AS, SS
AS + SS = AS, SS, SS, SS
AS + AC = AA, AC, AS,SS
SS + SS = SS, SS, SS, SS
AC + SS = AS, AS, SS, SS
AC + AC = AA, AC, AC, SS

Not always

@op, great job. Very educative

2 Likes

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 1:03am On Jul 16, 2017
naijaking1:

If the glutamic acid mutates to valine, we have Beta-s, or HbS.
Mutation to lysine gives rise to thalassamia
Nooo, u need to verify your facts sir
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 1:04am On Jul 16, 2017
Chi59:

Not always

Thanks
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 1:04am On Jul 16, 2017
Funny how I see comments saying "it's not possible." I may not be a doctor but I've heard of rare cases. Even the one caused by Mosaicism.

Abeg read wide.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by lisbonabdulahi: 1:10am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Chances are slim as they are rare but its a possibility
in medicine, common aikement are common. Did you read the history of the woman?. The truth is dat, theoretically it can happen, but I have never seen a case in practice
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 1:14am On Jul 16, 2017
lisbonabdulahi:
in medicine, common aikement are common. Did you read the history of the woman?. The truth is dat, theoretically it can happen, but I have never seen a case in practice
you are right common things occurs commonly, but a friend did a research on thalassemia prevalence in Nigeria ,not sure if he has published it though, but he found that thalassemia are not as uncommon as we think they are

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by logica(m): 1:20am On Jul 16, 2017
Chi59:

Not always

Example of the miseducation we are talking about. Yes, it is ALWAYS. And you only get a different result when most likely the AA result was actually wrong; rather Aß.

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by jnrremedy(m): 1:21am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Thanks
thanks op for bringing this up this night
am sure a lot of people have learnt even the ignorant hematologist ( he just can't shamefully agree publicly after arguing blindly)
Good night
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by lisbonabdulahi: 1:24am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:
you are right common things occurs commonly, but a friend did a research on thalassemia prevalence in Nigeria ,not sure if he has published it though, but he found that thalassemia are not as uncommon as we think they are
hmmmm, that will be a good read . when is he completing the work.? Hope you keep us updated
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 1:25am On Jul 16, 2017
lisbonabdulahi:
hmmmm, that will be a good read . when is he completing the work.? Hope you keep us updated

Yea will.do that
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by sainty2k3(m): 1:26am On Jul 16, 2017
jnrremedy:

thanks op for bringing this up this night
am sure a lot of people have learnt even the ignorant hematologist ( he just can't shamefully agree publicly after arguing blindly)
Good night
One love brother
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by lisbonabdulahi: 1:31am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Yea will.do that
please. libonabdulahi@yahoo.com . I may be able to get it reviewed here in Finland in a community magazine. If it gets published, your friend may get some contacts, I am just saying.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by chris51(f): 2:00am On Jul 16, 2017
It's impossible for AA & AS to produce an SS child. Pleasedo not deceive and confuse people.
This is not spiritual, it is medical.
lisbonabdulahi:
please. libonabdulahi@yahoo.com . I may be able to get it reviewed here in Finland in a community magazine. If it gets published, your friend may get some contacts, I am just saying.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by naijaking1: 2:07am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Nooo, u need to verify your facts sir

I meant substitution of lysine gives rise to Hb SB-thalassemia and others like C and E
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by damocheezy(m): 2:19am On Jul 16, 2017
OP thanks but your explanation does not explain how AA and AS can give birth to SS. You are only explaining another concept entirely.

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by kindkingsley: 2:35am On Jul 16, 2017
Please can blood group A+(positive) Father and 0+(positive) Mother give birth to A-(negative) Son blood group?

quote author=sainty2k3 post=58465800]YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
1. let me differentiate between haemoglobin genotype and haemoglobin phenotype
To get a particular GENOTYPE you have to do a genetic testing or use two or more of the screening test (the conventional electrophoresis that we do + HPLC or other similar test) to confirm the true genotype while hb PHENOTYPE is the appearance /characteristics of an individual haemoglobin on conventional electrophoresis which we loosely refer to as GENOTYPE
Most times when we call ourselves AA,SS,AS we are actually referring to our Haemoglogin PHENOTYPE and NOT GENOTYPE, as most of us don’t do genetic tests, all we do is haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. lets explain the concept of thalasemic trait. Thalassemias are quantitative defect of haemoglobin which means some one can be AA but the one or both A in this person is is absent otherwise known as thalassemia minor and major respectively. If such person run haemoglobin Electrophoresis( the test that we always loosely regard to as genotype) only A band will be seen and such a person will be regarded as AA. But they are also prone to anaemias and some certain abnormal features in the blood depending on the degree in the reduction in the defective A . such individuals can be Aβ-Thalassaemia(otherwise known as thalassaemic trait) if one of the’ A gene’ is normal, or β-Thalassaemia major if both are affected
3. lets merge the two concepts above and form AND SEE THE DIFFERENT PHENOTYPE THAT EXIST AND THE POSSIBLE CORRESPONDING GENOTYPE
If PHENOTYPE is AA the likely GENOTYPES will be AA , Aβ-Thalassaemia
If PHENOTYPE is SS the likely GENOTYPES will be SS, Sβ-Thalassaemia (MEANING THE OTHER ‘A’ THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THIS AN ‘AS’ IS TOTALLY ABSENT) Others might include SD,SG etc though these are very rare
If PHENOTYPE is AS the likely GENOTYPES will be SA (NOTE – ‘S’ COMES BEFORE ‘A’ BECAUSE THE A IS THALASSAEMIC, THOUGH NOT TOTALLY ABSENT AS THE ONE ABOVE ,IT IS SUSBSTANTIALLY REDUCE), or truely AS
4. Lets assume this our hypothetical couple have Hb eleterophoresis done and was told that the genotype of partner 1 is AA, and that of partner 2 is AS ,but the one that is called AA is actually Aβ-Thalassaemia as ealier mentioned. There possible offspring include
I. AA, If the child inherit the normal A from partner 1 and another normal A from partner 2
II. Aβ-Thalassaemia ,If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from the partner 1 and normal A from partner 2
III. AS,If the child inherit normal A from partner 1 and S from patner 2
IV. Sβ-Thalassaemia If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from partner 1 and S from partner 2
Note that scenario I above will show AA on Hb electrophoresis, scenario ii will show AA on electrophoresis, scenario iii will show AS on electrophoresis and scenario iv will show SS on electrophoresis
I have tried to simplify the medical terms but if you still have a doubt or clarification ask and I will try to shed more light, as much as I can.
[/quote]
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nobody: 2:56am On Jul 16, 2017
logica:
Example of the miseducation we are talking about. Yes, it is ALWAYS. And you only get a different result when most likely the AA result was actually wrong; rather Aß.

How much do you know about sickle cell? Being one myself, I've read lots of articles and spoken with several doctors about it. Mr miseducation.
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by logica(m): 3:04am On Jul 16, 2017
Chi59:

How much do you know about sickle cell? Being one myself, I've read lots of articles and spoken with several doctors about it. Mr miseducation.
I am quite sure you have learnt a lot, and know a lot. smiley
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by BobbyDean(m): 3:07am On Jul 16, 2017
dreshemokha:
Op. Genetics and health is not mathematics as you just calculated.
And yes it is totally IMPOSSIBLE, a marriage between AA and AS can NEVER produce SS.
Moreover, there is no relationship in inheritance between sickle cell diseases and thalassemias.

Am a doctor with a health blog. Check my signature and visit my blog for robust health info and publications.
abi o. OP i hope you know there's a difference between sickle cell anaemia, sickle cell disease & sickle cell trait? Sickle cell anaemia=SS, sickle cell disease= haemoglobin S+ any other abnormal haemoglobin(thalassaemias, haemoglobin C,D & so on), sickle cell trait=haemoglobin A+S that is AS. Pls dont misinform Nigerians, it's the last thing we need cos there are too many wrong info already
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by shreck(m): 5:21am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:

Please verify and update ur stuffs , the informations provided and also buttressed by the first comment explains it all. Bothe the qualitative genetic abnormalities that leads to Hb S and the quantitative abnormalities in thalassemia can be co inherited otherwise known as S beta thallasemia . I have seen some cases like this , I'm very sure of this fact and for your information I'm not a mathematician, I simply stated a medical fact

Hello guys,
I think the confusion is revolving around the information or knowledge each person has.
Have you guys factored this fact, we actually have not just AS, AA, SS.
we actually have have.
AA,AC,AS,SC,SS, CC
AC, and CC based on common testing fall falsely under AA and SS.
just my 1pence, I am no medical man.
seems I happen to be AC but no one knew for years.
until I was forced to investigate a recurring health issue doctors could not diagonise
Like I stated I am no health person, I am willing to be educated on this life changing issue.

Look here.

https://m.facebook.com/LAUMSITESYWC/posts/668789426506335
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by femi4: 5:22am On Jul 16, 2017
Chi59:

That you are sickle cell doesn't mean you are informed

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Mrlouis: 5:25am On Jul 16, 2017
LionDeLeo:
OP, I did not bother to read your analysis because I know you just want to make noise.

What you are saying is the most impossible thing on Earth.

Even AA & SS cannot produce SS, not to talk of AA & AS.

O ya werey ni?
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by femi4: 5:28am On Jul 16, 2017
shreck:

Hello guys,
I think the confusion is revolving around the information or knowledge each person has.
Have you guys factored the fact we actually have not just AS, AA, SS.
we actually have have.
AA,AC,AS,SC,SS, CC
AC, and CC based on common testing fall falsing under AA and SS.
just my 1pence, I am no medical man.
seems I happen to be AC but no one knew for years.
until I was forced to investigate a recurring health issue doctors could not diagonise
That's how people like you fail exam

The question here is simple , Can a full blown well diagnosed AA and AS produce SS? The answer is NO
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by shreck(m): 5:33am On Jul 16, 2017
[quote author=femi4 post=58501206]That's how people like you fail exam
Well you take opportunity to insult
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by femi4: 5:36am On Jul 16, 2017
shreck:

This should not be insultive, we are mature here.
There is no such thing as full blown.
Visit the Facebook link I provided to read, the posturing of medical science itself changes with information.
Nothing is set in stone.
even with traces of C, its not possible to have SS.....don't deviate from the main topic

1 Like

Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Mrlouis: 5:40am On Jul 16, 2017
jnrremedy:

I never said anywhere that AS and SS will produce SS u now that
pls read all my post and point to where I said that.
that is one thing I don't like about doctors ( i have a lot of them as freinds) they believe they know it all that nobody can know more than them

Hey friend, u need not bother yourself to explain to them. Perhaps, one will learn the hard way from his/her offsprings. Only one with a shallow I.Q will find it difficult understanding what's written aboard.
Now in simpler terms to non-geeks, he never said marrying an AS as an AA on ideal grounds with every constant equal will give you an offspring with SS genotype... But what he is saying in earnest is that to determine the genotype of a person supposedly called an AA, undergoing tests the wrong way may not actually prove such a one is AA in reality and thus may lead to ones offspring being an SS if he/she marries an AS. The probability of that is high. Genotype issues are deep. Discoveries are made constantly.
Now if you don't understand the above, don't quote. Face front

Science as well as its methodology evolve.For you see, there was a time Dalton said it was impossible to split the atom (confirm that from the annals of science) but its possible today. Besides how many planets were we taught in secondary school that exist? 9 right....now any trending scientist knows otherwise but only an outdated person will still argue they are still 9.
SO Y'ALL JUST GROW UP
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by Nedsnow(m): 5:49am On Jul 16, 2017
Am so surprised am seeing so many people claiming to be medical practitioners arguing this OP article.
No wonder our ministry of health is dying. Most of you have refused to acquire more knowledge and make your own personal researches on them. All you ve been sticking to are all those old researches and beliefs.
OP! Am with you on this. I have seen the way you ve tried explaining to this people, but they wont just understand. But all of you should note this.
He never said the SS is the real SS sickler.

What most of you lack here is simple comprehension and understanding
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by megafone: 5:51am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:
YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
To get a particular GENOTYPE you have to do a genetic testing or use two or more of the screening test (the conventional electrophoresis that we do + HPLC or other similar test) to confirm the true genotype while hb PHENOTYPE is the appearance /characteristics of an individual haemoglobin on conventional electrophoresis which we loosely refer to as GENOTYPE
Most times when we call ourselves AA,SS,AS we are actually referring to our Haemoglogin PHENOTYPE and NOT GENOTYPE, as most of us don’t do genetic tests, all we do is haemoglobin electrophoresis
2. lets explain the concept of thalasemic trait. Thalassemias are quantitative defect of haemoglobin which means some one can be AA but the one or both A in this person is is absent otherwise known as thalassemia minor and major respectively. If such person run haemoglobin Electrophoresis( the test that we always loosely regard to as genotype) only A band will be seen and such a person will be regarded as AA. But they are also prone to anaemias and some certain abnormal features in the blood depending on the degree in the reduction in the defective A . such individuals can be Aβ-Thalassaemia(otherwise known as thalassaemic trait) if one of the’ A gene’ is normal, or β-Thalassaemia major if both are affected
3. lets merge the two concepts above and form AND SEE THE DIFFERENT PHENOTYPE THAT EXIST AND THE POSSIBLE CORRESPONDING GENOTYPE
If PHENOTYPE is SS the likely GENOTYPES will be SS, Sβ-Thalassaemia (MEANING THE OTHER ‘A’ THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THIS AN ‘AS’ IS TOTALLY ABSENT) Others might include SD,SG etc though these are very rare
If PHENOTYPE is AS the likely GENOTYPES will be SA (NOTE – ‘S’ COMES BEFORE ‘A’ BECAUSE THE A IS THALASSAEMIC, THOUGH NOT TOTALLY ABSENT AS THE ONE ABOVE ,IT IS SUSBSTANTIALLY REDUCE), or truely AS
4. Lets assume this our hypothetical couple have Hb eleterophoresis done and was told that the genotype of partner 1 is AA, and that of partner 2 is AS ,but the one that is called AA is actually Aβ-Thalassaemia as ealier mentioned. There possible offspring include
I. AA, If the child inherit the normal A from partner 1 and another normal A from partner 2
II. Aβ-Thalassaemia ,If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from the partner 1 and normal A from partner 2
IV. Sβ-Thalassaemia If the child inherit β-Thalassaemic A from partner 1 and S from partner 2
Note that scenario I above will show AA on Hb electrophoresis, scenario ii will show AA on electrophoresis, scenario iii will show AS on electrophoresis and scenario iv will show SS on electrophoresis
I have tried to simplify the medical terms but if you still have a doubt or clarification ask and I will try to shed more light, as much as I can.

This will be interesting to baby mamas, married but playing always, Unilag girls etc
Re: Yes, It Is Not Impossible. 'AA' Can Marry 'AS' And Give Birth To 'SS' by mytym1: 5:55am On Jul 16, 2017
sainty2k3:
YES it is not impossible, couples that are AA/AS can give birth to SS , this is how
Op you can lie eeh , so you mean my biology teachers and psychology lecturer's lied to me and some text books lied also, no I don't believe you. AA+AS can't produce SS

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Fibroid Removed From A Woman Who Thought She Was Pregnant (Graphic Photos) / Indonesian Nurse Had Sex With COVID-19 Patient In Hospital Toilet / 28days Detox Slim Tea.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.