Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG (29396 Views)

Top 10 Most Richest Beggars In The World (no. 1 Will Shock You) / Photos Of Beautiful Child Beggars In Calabar Go Viral / Is It Good To Collect Change From Beggars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2017
DickDastardly2:
The Nigerian government has stated that no one would be left out in the campaign to enlarge the tax revenue.

She said some beggars were earning millions and that “proceeds from begging are taxable. You are supposed to pay taxes even if your means of income is begging”.

Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun said this in Lagos at a lecture at PWC’s Business School, with the theme: ‘Voluntary Assets and Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDS) Interactive Session for Executives and Business Owners.’

She said to ascertain the income status of the companies/individuals and their lifestyle, investigators would rely on information derived from Bank Verification Number (BVN), records of property ownership, records of foreign exchange allocation, and records of company ownership from the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), among others.

Adeosun said: “We are using some firms to trace assets internationally.The investigators’ findings will enable us to compare the income and how much tax the company/person is really paying, and that gives us lots of information.

“But we encourage people to come up and pay their taxes willingly. You can register a high-end car. It tells me something about your income.

“So, we look at your tax returns. If you registered Mercedes E-Class and you are paying N100,000 tax, then something is wrong. Those are red flags. We now have the capacity to assess people accurately.

“We are trying to build an economy where we have oil and other things. It is going to be oil plus and wider economy”.

Source:

http://dailypost.ng/2017/07/14/beggars-nigeria-will-start-paying-tax-fg/
They must enjoy their vegetable,he is their savior!
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Iamthoney(m): 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2017
Divay22:
Biggest joke I have ever seen grin grin grin grin grin
Who does begging as a means of income anyway undecided undecided undecided undecided
They are still other ways to generate money, not with beggars.......

How did we eventually get to this level angry..
We got to this level the day them zombies voted for Buhari so don't be surprised cos I'm not and I still expect more foolishness from this government before them tenure elapses
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by msadamidris: 12:49pm On Jul 15, 2017
I think thats great
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by MadCow1: 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2017
lexy2014:
like I said b4 she was very very clear....“proceeds from begging are taxable".[/b]thats simple that doesn't need 2 much interpretation. thats a policy statement. u dont need a Ph.d to understand that. she even went ahead 2 call begging a source of income. so my brother madam kemi has said it all. 4d beggars that make millions I don't no of any. It is madam we need 2 ask. She might no a few

[b]Yes Sir..
She said "Beggars are earning Millions". How many beggers do you know earn millions? Shouldnt that be a clue as to the fact that her message isnt literal? She is talking about tax evaders who try to hide their income under untaxable areas like "alms" or even "gifts".

So a Man who owns a house in Lekki and drives a Range Rover tells you he is a beggar (or the house and car are a gift) just to evade taxes.. She was speaking figuratively for Christ sakes. How many time would I need to repeat this to you before you understand it.

Okay, have you ever paid Personal Income Tax? If yes, was it paid directly by you or was it deducted at source by your employer and paid on your behalf? If it's the former, how did you go about it? Do you know how to calculate your taxable income? Do you know what incomes are not taxable?

Tax Issues are not just a matter of policy statements, it is a matter of LAW passed by Congress. You can't tax a person whose income isn't taxable under the Law wether "Policy statement" or not.

Anyways, I give up.. Believe what you will. Better yet heed my advise and go grab a copy of the Tax Laws of Nigeria and also speak to someone at your nearest local tax office to have a clearer understanding of how taxation works, those who are exempted from taxation and the different tax brackets for the different income levels. Then you would understand why she said what she did.

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by LazyNairalander(m): 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
MadCow1:

Because Churches have tax exemption.

Again for a person to be qualified to pay Personal Income Tax, they must fall into the taxable wage bracket. So unless she has changed the Law or Beggars are earning way more than we assume, That was Kemi speaking figuratively.

Check the Law on Taxation to understand this better.

oga this govt doesnt obey law, we will all be here wen kabiri in gombe will be arrest 4 tax related offences.

Watch out!
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by SalamRushdie: 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
It's about time we stone this Buhari govt back to the stone age

2 Likes

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Daeylar(f): 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
Narldon:
Finance Minister;

Buhari;

APC;

Y'all are maaaadddddd!!!

LMAO,@both post and pic

grin

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by SEEDORF441(m): 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
Lol, wetin concern me.
i like this policy
north is the capital of beggers
Arewa youths are beggers, u can see from the pic
aboki causing wahala for aboki.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Maj196(m): 12:56pm On Jul 15, 2017
Pathetic... No human feeling at all
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
@EasyWork001 The next time you wish to quote me try and sound like a mature adult and not a dmb kid. Comprehend? Why am I even surprised that you took this monumental joke from the minister serious? I shouldn't be. You must have the I.Q. of a regular 2 year-old. That's why.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by LazyNairalander(m): 1:00pm On Jul 15, 2017
SmartMugu:

To take taxes from anyone, you first have to have a way of tracking their income. How can the FG track a beggar's income when they don't even have a means of tracking traders' income?
Beggars are everywhere, even in sane countries, only Nigeria wants to start taxing them.
SmartMugu:

To take taxes from anyone, you first have to have a way of tracking their income. How can the FG track a beggar's income when they don't even have a means of tracking traders' income?
Beggars are everywhere, even in sane countries, only Nigeria wants to start taxing them.
SmartMugu:

'' even in sane countries '' I am interested in that line.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Divay22(f): 1:02pm On Jul 15, 2017
Iamthoney:
We got to this level the day them zombies voted for Buhari so don't be surprised cos I'm not and I still expect more foolishness from this government before them tenure elapses
Abeg o.. I'm not part of the govt o grin grin grin grin grin grin grin...
We can only pray for them, that's if God is not tired yet o
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by kadil(m): 1:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
The FG makes beggars out Nigerians and then turns round to tax the proceeds from the beggery.

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by LazyNairalander(m): 1:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
TijaniAbu:
Diploma Kemi of Hackney continues to display her idiocy daily. For an undeserving accounting clerk imposed on Nigerians as finance minister not to know that gifts are not taxable in any functioning democratic economy is astonishing. Instead of this Buhari-Osinbajo administration that plunged Nigeria into unprecedented economic decline to know that it is government spending that stimulates economic rebirth, revival and growth, they now want to tax suffering Nigerians from coma to final death, yet the government provides ZERO tax maintained public services. It's about time the animal kingdom rises to revolt against these idiotic charlatan fake pastorian dullardeens! Anyway to demonstrate sincerity, Diploma Kemi of Hackney should start by taxing every kobo of the billions that the chief priestess of begging her excellency aisha the akara fryer collected from hapless Nigerians under the guise of beauty book launching and get involved scrounging.

I share your thoughts and would have joined your revolution but you see I am not from the animal kingdom, am from the land of the rising sun.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by SmartMugu: 1:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
LazyNairalander:
[b][/b]

'' even in sane countries '' I am interested in that line.
Beggars are everywhere in the world. Have you heard of US,UK,Canada, Australia etc taxing their beggars? They don't even have a record of them.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by otokx(m): 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2017
MadCow1:
I believe she was speaking figuratively when she talked about beggars. Anyone familiar with our tax codes knows that for you to be taxed you need to fall into a certain income bracket.

Especially those gifts in hundreds of thousands of dollars and other foreign currency.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by judedwriter(m): 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2017
Strange....really strange....tax beggars? Why the backwardness? Nigeria needs help from above. I hope it isn't true o...
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by otokx(m): 1:09pm On Jul 15, 2017
It will be nice of them to start taxing the bishops, pastors, rev fr, Imams, prophets, juju priests, high chiefs, chiefs and all them spiritual contraptions.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by MadCow1: 1:09pm On Jul 15, 2017
otokx:

Especially those gifts in hundreds of thousands of dollars and other foreign currency.

GBAM!!! grin You know it.

Cc:Lexy2014
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@EasyWork001 You see the last man to utilize his gray matter is the dumb one. Look at her statement and tell me if you really believe the Nigerian government can implement tax reforms to the extent that beggars would begin to pay taxes then you must be a mo.ron. A big one at that. To start with,how does a government that is so ill-equipped when it comes to keeping data and records like the Nigerian govt pull that off? Registering the millions of beggars on the street right? Applaudise smart boy. You are indeed smart. Meanwhile cut out the stupid tribal slurs the next time you intend to quote me. Comprehend?

Firstly, are you slow? The Minister of Finance just expressed her desire to tax beggars. And you expect everybody to stick their head in the sand and ignore it because 'mansakhalifa' thinks its not a feasible plan. Sorry, not everybody can be as retarded as you are. Do you work in FIRS? How do you know the govt cant devise a means of taxing them? Couldn't they demand roadside beggars obtain a license to be seen on the street or face arrest? A license that requires regular renewal, AKA tax. Isn't this what they're already doing with road transport workers? Keep showing your dirty stupidity. You go school so?

Secondly, you just showed everybody you are Yoruba. I know this now because you cried TRIBALISM after I wrote this:

Kemi's boytoy spotted

Continue to die for them like Abobaku

Continue to defend them like Taribo

If I want to do tribalism, I won't compare you to an abobaku and Taribo West, both of which a far far better than you will every be. One is in a palace, the other is a millionaire pastor. You though, are a piece of trash

Don't ever mention me again, you slowpoke c*ckgobbler. I hope you roast in a wildfire, fcking cretin like you.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by willibounce1(m): 1:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
How stup.id can these leaders be. Tax which beggars?
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by LazyNairalander(m): 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
It high time we check history where we might have offended OGUN state. 1. They gave skull miners 2. Bobrisky the instagram slay queen 3. Olamide the boy who successfully adopted a father(ambode) 4. And now Adeosun Kemi to the frog. The clueless arithematic minister. Shame!!! referrendum should come quick abeg
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by dy27(m): 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by 111jideofor: 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2017
Beggars in Nigeria will start paying tax – Kemi Adeosun.
Me: This is what you get for replacing a Harvard first class material with a supermarket accountant as your finance minister bruhhh! shocked

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Princeboca12(m): 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2017
DickDastardly2:
The Nigerian government has stated that no one would be left out in the campaign to enlarge the tax revenue.

She said some beggars were earning millions and that “proceeds from begging are taxable. You are supposed to pay taxes even if your means of income is begging”.

Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun said this in Lagos at a lecture at PWC’s Business School, with the theme: ‘Voluntary Assets and Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDS) Interactive Session for Executives and Business Owners.’

She said to ascertain the income status of the companies/individuals and their lifestyle, investigators would rely on information derived from Bank Verification Number (BVN), records of property ownership, records of foreign exchange allocation, and records of company ownership from the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), among others.

Adeosun said: “We are using some firms to trace assets internationally.The investigators’ findings will enable us to compare the income and how much tax the company/person is really paying, and that gives us lots of information.

“But we encourage people to come up and pay their taxes willingly. You can register a high-end car. It tells me something about your income.

“So, we look at your tax returns. If you registered Mercedes E-Class and you are paying N100,000 tax, then something is wrong. Those are red flags. We now have the capacity to assess people accurately.

“We are trying to build an economy where we have oil and other things. It is going to be oil plus and wider economy”.

Source:

http://dailypost.ng/2017/07/14/beggars-nigeria-will-start-paying-tax-fg/

You say beggars should pay tax right? Issokay.. Because they make millions daily with the accumulation of 5 naira notes. These same persons have no place to call a home, the govt dont give a Bleep abt how they feed. If you want them to pay their tax, give them comfort by providing accommodation and jobs. Empower these guys and they will happily pay their tax.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Iamthoney(m): 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2017
Divay22:

Abeg o.. I'm not part of the govt o grin grin grin grin grin grin grin...
We can only pray for them, that's if God is not tired yet o
I don't know God's mind if he's tired or not but what I know is this govt will keep displaying utter foolishness in the remaining days to come till them tenure finishes. We that never supported nor voted for them just have to endure all the shii and sufferings they have made and will still make us go through. So I ask you to put on your suffering and smiling vest ma'am
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by LazyNairalander(m): 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
SmartMugu:

Beggars are everywhere in the world. Have you heard of US,UK,Canada, Australia etc taxing their beggars? They don't even have a record of them.

i concur! You see nothing is impossible in that your country nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Rick9(m): 1:24pm On Jul 15, 2017
I swear this thing crack my ribs, the most funniest thing have read in a while.
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by SmartMugu: 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2017
LazyNairalander:

i concur! You see nothing is impossible in that your country nigeria.
Lol, no be your country too. grin grin grin grin You be Biafra or arewa? grin grin grin
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by jrusky(m): 1:29pm On Jul 15, 2017
Guys can you see why I hate apc with passion? So upon all trouble has be since they took over power its Islamic Religious study to be compulsory and a beggar to be paying tax the only thing that bothers this apc thing? Nigerians una see una lives?

A govt headed by a snail slowpoke VP and the most useless taller than sense dulladhino self exile president this is the kind stupid things you will be hearing.

Up till now
I will give electricity in 2 weeks is a dead word

I will put dollar to 1 to 1 to naira, dead

I will give quality education, already in the grave

I will construct good road, already in bottomless pit

I will bring economic success, already in Hell

apc thunder fire you can't wait for 2019 to come it will be so brutal all apc dogs and rats will run away from Nigeria because personally I will victimize physically and emotionally.

I have not see this sort of stupid leader in my entire life as a matter of fact the so called professor of pooh who is the VP i still don't know how he became a professor in the first place because his level of reasoning baffles me how can someone under his watch will even open his or her stinky mouth and say beggars will have to pay tax, very strange from an educated person.Please where in the world have you ever see or heard such?

Tinubu, Okorocha, Amaechi, Ngige see what you sold for Nigeria?
Re: Beggars In Nigeria Will Start Paying Tax – FG by Barbiedollz(f): 1:35pm On Jul 15, 2017
Honestly women are meannnnnn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

30 Tons Chinese Tipping Trucks For Hire In Lagos / Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know / Top 7 Things That Consume Nigerians’ Money Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.