Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin (41526 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / 10 Astonishing Facts You Never Knew About The Great Wall Of China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by NkayTiana(f): 12:42am On Jul 18, 2017
When you are done just shut up.... did I force you to read it,it's an empire, kill yourself
macof:

You are the one acting dull here. Making noise about Bini being a powerful empire. No real historian or cultural anthropologist considers Bini a praiseworthy Empire. As a kingdom it did remarkably well but lets not exaggerate and insult true Empires

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by SaffronSpice: 1:14am On Jul 18, 2017
Obaluf0n:

First emboldened -- OK.
Second emboldened -- an ignorant Otun guy soliciting for information on his own hometown from you means nothing, really. There are ignorant Bini folks out there too who would solicit for data on any story that intetests them no mattet how convoluted -- ignorants folks are everywhere. With that said, I shared a link on Otun history during our last back & forth which stated Otun was a market town and was never conquered neither by Oyo nor Bini.
Side comment -- Please looking at the wikipedia excerpt I quoted in my other post, why does it refer to Oyo a much larger territory with several nations under it as a kingdom but refers to Bini a much smaller area with few nations under it as an empire, do you by chance know why or is this part of the subtle plot to tuck Yoruba under Bini?
he's lying if i am the otun guy he's refering to.
What i asked him to provide was proof that otun was a vassal state to benin till now he's yet to do so.
Instead he started talking about Benelux countries,his royal ancestry,relatives in Ekitiland and all sorts of poppycock.
Read the encounter on the last pages of this thread:https://www.nairaland.com/3394552/traditionalists-parade-streets-benin-ahead/6 .Would this have been the case if owo or Eko were the topic being debated?
No,he would have cited one or two benin influence.
Yet he's here trying to shore up his cred. by saying I "ended up soliciting for more historical facts " from him. Like WTF? What does this joker knows about Otun or Mobaland grin.
Otun couldn't have been a vassal state of benin without any vestige of Benin influence on the town or its throne.
The bold is very correct.
To add to that there's a popular saying extracted from the panegyric of ekan-meje - these towns along with otun and eight others make up moba merindinlogun - that ogun o ko wa ri ni ekan-meje.
Erele a diety is said to have helped in halting the advance of the Oyo army into mobaland through ekanmeje(you can confirm this by visiting ekanmeje in okeero lga,kwara state.It borders otun,or otun ekiti).
So how can anyone claim otun was ever under Benin?
That's trash!

2 Likes

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by SaffronSpice: 1:43am On Jul 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

You can lie I know. But I never knew you have comprehension problems too.
Anybody who follows my comments on important topics would know what i do for a living. Certainly as in real life, some may have found reasonable tips to some problems. No need to brag. British educated yes. Why not? I did not deny others the privilege to.
I remember that topic where you insinuated that the current Oba of Benin isn't well educated. I made it clear that how a UK-educated man that served as a diplomat (ambassador of Nigeria to Scandinavia covering several countries, Italy & Angola) cannot be poorly educated.
Please in your haste to insult others, still try to read well & understand. Thank you.
You see, these days, anyone can claim anything. What I said is on record. And I have said it here for years. One Otun guy first argued same like two years ago. Later he ended up soliciting for more historical info about his town. I have seen many here.
It is even irrelevant now anyway.
if i am the otun guy you're refering to here,then your situation is worse than i thought.
Are you not the same person who could not post something reasonable to support you argument before fleeing from the thread?
Now you are here claiming i solicited for historical facts from you.LOL.Don't make me laugh.
Like I told you then, your problem is pride.
This I find funny 'cause you are empty and yet full of yourself.Hehehe.
Pls limit your revisionism to Benin stop dragging mobaland into its mire.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by macof(m): 6:40am On Jul 18, 2017
NkayTiana:
When you are done just shut up.... did I force you to read it,it's an empire, kill yourself

Kill myself over what? When I'm not like you?
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by ritababe(f): 7:23am On Jul 18, 2017
aljharem:

Lol I am a true lagosian and Lagos was NEVER UNDER the benin. Stop smoking. My people have called akiolu to order. The monarch was bini and I am from that family. Today we are yorubas, we have always been part of the Yoruba nation. It is you people that lack common sense by denying your history and heritage.

so tell me how come about the name Eko?
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by aljharem(m): 7:37am On Jul 18, 2017
ritababe:

so tell me how come about the name Eko?

Aworis where farmers and fisher men. Eko means farmland because pepper and cassava where the main crops cultivated there. Now this can mean war camp etc in bini.

Now my question

What is the meaning of bini and why was it changed from ogodomigo to bini
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by ritababe(f): 7:57am On Jul 18, 2017
aljharem:

Aworis where farmers and fisher men. Eko means farmland because pepper and cassava where the main crops cultivated there. Now this can mean war camp etc in bini.

Now my question

What is the meaning of bini and why was it changed from ogodomigo to bini

yeah that's the meaning because the Bini people camp there at that time. but I don't have time to be going into history line with u, I have done this before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by walexsho(m): 8:02am On Jul 18, 2017
BENIN INVASION OF LAGOS
Written by R.O. AJETUMOBI Ph.D
Culled from The Evolution and Development of Lagos State, A publication of Centre for Lagos studies, Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education.
Historical Origin
Lagos is Just an essential part of Lagos State which the land area extends into the interior of the state with district ecological zones.1 The conducive atmosphere as well as the possibility of satisfying the physiological and biogenic needs, such as food, water, made Lagos attractive to many immigrants. The Yoruba sub-groups such as the Awori and coastal Ijebu constitute the bulk of the indigenous inhabitant. these groups could be distinguished from other ethnic groups in the area on the basis of their language with variations of dialects, traditions of migrations whether directly or indirectly from Ife; traditions amongst most of their rulers of descent from Oduduwa (the eponymous hero of Yoruba), affinal relation with Benin, and existence of Yoruba cultural feature such as regal paraphernalia, facial makings, as well as physical outlook.2 Though, the power of the Benin kingdom was impressive as early as the second half of the fifteenth century during the reign of Oba Ewuare, Benin occupation and subjugation of Lagos and its neighbourhood did not start until the sixteenth century when Benin troops and traders took effective control of the coastal region from the Niger Delta in the East to Porto Novo in the West.3
Ewuare ascendancy to the throne of Benin in the early fifteenth century put the kingdom into a splendid period of successful and rapid expansion With a fearful military arsenal, strong, well equipped and battle-ready army, Benin became a terror and lord of her neighboring settlements.4 This interest was reinforced in the 1550 as a result of the relative peace at home and the growing European trade on the coast which Benin wanted to control. The need for areas of economic control, security, free flow of coastal trade, as a result of the need to secure the base for harnessing goods from the inland made the control of Lagos a necessity for Benin. By the opening of the sixteenth century a large section of eastern Yoruba land had come under Benin influence and the Ilaje territory on modern Ondo state served a passage to the far western coast in the area of modern Lagos. Thus, the areas between Lagos and Porto Novo became the focus of Benin military activities till the seventeenth century. In this century, Mahin, an Ilaje communities founded by immigrants from the neighbourhood of Itsekiri were destroyed, while Isheri Olofin, Lagos, Ido, Ebute Metta, Oto-Olofin and other coastal Yoruba communities in the area fell to superior Benin invading army.5
After Oba Ehengbuda (C. 1578-1606) who consolidated the imperial achievement of Orhogbua (C. 1550-1578), Benin entered a long period of internal crisis. The Oba stopped being forceful as they no longer led their subjects in battles; rather, they reinforced their mystical attribute, palace rituals and led a secluded life. As a result, the noble men, chiefs and ambitious individual especially the soldiers seized the opportunity to increase their powers and founded their own kingdoms at the expense of the monarchy. Although, the era of warrior kings was terminated in the 17th century with the reign of Oba Ehengbuda who died on his way to Lagos. After him, priests and aristocratic rulers began a prolonged civil war which encouraged the flight of many families and soldiers to different parts of Lagos state. At the western extreme, the situation was such that the colonies were disbanded as a result of ineffective military and personal ambitions. The immediate effect of this was the widespread dispersal of Benin cultural traits.
The story continues

1 Like

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 8:52am On Jul 18, 2017
SaffronSpice:

if i am the otun guy you're refering to here,then your situation is worse than i thought.
Are you not the same person who could not post something reasonable to support you argument before fleeing from the thread?
Now you are here claiming i solicited for historical facts from you.LOL.Don't make me laugh.
Like I told you then, your problem is pride.
This I find funny 'cause you are empty and yet full of yourself.Hehehe.
Pls limit your revisionism to Benin stop dragging mobaland into its mire.

Ah! At least you admit you were the ignorant Otun guy as your kinsman called you.

You wanted me to give you details of your land. And I refused. Not my job.

Now you claim you did not. How funny.

You should be telling us your history.

Founded by another angel hurled from heaven along with lucifer? Or used he dongoyaro leaves to descend from heaven? Or Maybe Mobo was the biggest empire since Roman empire? Let us hear. grin cheesy

I do empathise with you for having no consequential history. At least nothing that any foreign outlet like BBC or relevant documentary channels would think the world should keep learning about. So bask in the good fortune of the privilege to have been at the boundary of Benin Empire with Oyo. Otherwise nobody would have heard of it here on Nairaland or anywhere outside your environ. grin cheesy

The aggressive tone of you lot shows that the "respectful & sophisticated" tribe you guys claim is just an eye-service but seriously vicious when out of sight. We all already knew that anyway.
You can start a thread on Otun. I have never started a thread on Benin Empire. There are enough people out there to do it. So I never began anything just to hype Benin Empire.

But SW people get near epileptic fits on sighting Benin threads. Their BEDC people go into overdrive. grin cheesy

The below was written by one of your kinsmen. I guess you will label him omale.

http://adwalay..co.uk/2017/07/the-benin-invasion-of-lagos.html

If a Yoruba writer admitted this much just writing about Lagos, clearly mentioning Benin imperial power, then imagine the scale of it if done honestly all over Yorubaland & Dahomey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 9:06am On Jul 18, 2017
macof:

You are the one acting dull here. Making noise about Bini being a powerful empire. No real historian or cultural anthropologist considers Bini a praiseworthy Empire. As a kingdom it did remarkably well but lets not exaggerate and insult true Empires

Well, the writing by an enlightened kinsman of yours below completely rubbishes your BEDC credentials:

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by SaffronSpice: 10:14am On Jul 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

Ah! At least you admit you were the ignorant Otun guy as your kinsman called you.
You wanted me to give you details of your land. And I refused. Not my job.
Now you claim you did not. How funny.
You should be telling us your history.
Founded by another angel hurled from heaven along with lucifer? Or used he dongoyaro leaves to descend from heaven? Or Maybe Mobo was the biggest empire since Roman empire? Let us hear. grin cheesy
I do empathise with you for having no consequential history. At least nothing that any foreign outlet like BBC or relevant documentary channels would think the world should keep learning about. So bask in the good fortune of the privilege to have been at the boundary of Benin Empire with Oyo. Otherwise nobody would have heard of it here on Nairaland or anywhere outside your environ. grin cheesy
The aggressive tone of you lot shows that the "respectful & sophisticated" tribe you guys claim is just an eye-service but seriously vicious when out of sight. We all already knew that anyway.
You can start a thread on Otun. I have never started a thread on Benin Empire. There are enough people out there to do it. So I never began anything just to hype Benin Empire.
But SW people get near epileptic fits on sighting Benin threads. Their BEDC people go into overdrive. grin cheesy
The below was written by one of your kinsmen. I guess you will label him omale.
If a Yoruba writer admitted this much just writing about Lagos, clearly mentioning Benin imperial power, then imagine the scale of it if done honestly all over Yorubaland & Dahomey.
Hehehe.
You are a gift that keeps giving.
You, tell me about my land.
LOL.Dude what strain of weed do you smoke?
I asked you to provide a proof to back up your claim and you are here posting fiddlesticks after leaving me with "to be continued" grin.I guess you dug around and found nothing to bolster your lies so you absconded,eh grin?
Come off your low horse,man.
You are ignorant and arrogant at the same time- what a bad combination.
You know nothing about mobaland.Have you ever been to the place before?Yet you think you are a doyen of mobaland's history.
Ridiculous!
Why am I even engaging you?
You were demistified the last time we debated this topic,so sit down and be humble grin.
Mobaland is blessed.Do you know the rank of the Oore of Otun in Ekiti?
I won't nibble the BBC,tell us your history,and all other diversion baits you posted.
All i have to tell you is - leave Otun/mobaland out of your revisionism.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 10:30am On Jul 18, 2017
SaffronSpice:

Hehehe.
You are a gift that keeps giving.
You, tell me about my land.
LOL.Dude what strain of weed do you smoke?
I asked you to provide a proof to back up your claim and you are here posting fiddlesticks after leaving me with "to be continued" grin.I guess you dug around and found nothing to bolster your lies so you absconded,eh grin?
Come off your low horse,man.
You are ignorant and arrogant at the same time- what a bad combination.
You know nothing about mobaland.Have you ever been to the place before?Yet you think you are a doyen of mobaland's history.
Ridiculous!
Why am I even engaging you?
You were demistified the last time we debated this topic,so sit down and be humble grin.
Mobaland is blessed.Do you know the rank of the Oore of Otun in Ekiti?
I won't nibble the BBC,tell us your history,and all other diversion baits you posted.
All i have to tell you is - leave Otun/mobaland out of your revisionism.
Tell me his rank before October 1st 1960.
Because we know that many Baale & white cap chiefs are now even 1st class Obas. Many raised by military governors.

Show me the gazette showing his rank before independence. shocked shocked shocked shocked

Otun is just about the last place I want to worry about its history to be honest. I have far more interest in Indus valley civilisations for example. grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by SaffronSpice: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2017
It is very necessary that we begin to do the right thing henceforth. When Oba Okunade Sijuade joined his ancestors, so many papers carried it then, that the proper procedure in announcing his passage was not followed. They made it clear, that it was the Oore that was supposed to announce the death officially. So, that is the situation. It is a known history, whether it is followed or not, it is another thing entirely.Let me give you a similar example, prior to 1914, when any Oba died in Benin, they must bury such an Oba in Ile-Ife, since the time of Eweka. It was even Oba Sijuade, who said it, in one of the interviews he granted. He said the last one that happened was around 1914 and since that time, it never happened again. The Benin Obas are never brought again to Ile-Ife for burial. Up till now, the Benin people have a grotto in Ile-Ife. Oba Ado Bini where they were usually buried. So people may not now say you must carry the corpse of an Oba of Benin to Ile-Ife to bury. These are the type of things that are fast changing the way and manner things were done in the past.
https://guardian.ng/features/culture/up-till-1914-benin-obas-were-buried-in-ile-ife-oore-of-mobaland/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7429383709
Obaluf0n , macof , aljahrem...
Read this coup de grace the Oore gives AreaFada2 for trying to belittle Mobaland hahaha
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2017
SaffronSpice:
It is very necessary that we begin to do the right thing henceforth. When Oba Okunade Sijuade joined his ancestors, so many papers carried it then, that the proper procedure in announcing his passage was not followed. They made it clear, that it was the Oore that was supposed to announce the death officially. So, that is the situation. It is a known history, whether it is followed or not, it is another thing entirely.Let me give you a similar example, prior to 1914, when any Oba died in Benin, they must bury such an Oba in Ile-Ife, since the time of Eweka. It was even Oba Sijuade, who said it, in one of the interviews he granted. He said the last one that happened was around 1914 and since that time, it never happened again. The Benin Obas are never brought again to Ile-Ife for burial. Up till now, the Benin people have a grotto in Ile-Ife. Oba Ado Bini where they were usually buried. So people may not now say you must carry the corpse of an Oba of Benin to Ile-Ife to bury. These are the type of things that are fast changing the way and manner things were done in the past.
https://guardian.ng/features/culture/up-till-1914-benin-obas-were-buried-in-ile-ife-oore-of-mobaland/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7429383709
Read this coup de grace the Oore gives AreaFada2 for trying to belittle Mobaland hahaha
Lol! Chai. BEDC just cannot stop churning out lies written by their fellow liars. cheesy grin

Full time job though. There is dignity in labour, even dirty labour. shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by SaffronSpice: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

Tell me his rank before October 1st 1960.
Because we know that many Baale & white cap chiefs are now even 1st class Obas. Many raised by military governors.
Show me the gazette showing his rank before independence. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Otun is just about the last place I want to worry about its history to be honest. I have far more interest in Indus valley civilisations for example. grin cheesy
During the Kiriji war Oore's recognition as the leader of Ekiti obas was affirmed by Reverend Charles Philip, the messenger to C. A. Moloney, the governor of Lagos by what he wrote in a note on 4th May 1886 about his visit to Okemesi during the war. He said "we first call on Oray (Oore), king of Otun who is regarded as the senior of Ekiti kings. I read the Governor's letter to him".In 1899, Major Reeve Tucker was appointed by the Colonial Secretary to take charge of the administration of Ekitiland inclusive of Ijesha. After his extensive tour of this unit between October 1899 and February 1900, he established the Ekiti council of Obas and Oore was made the president. It is on record that he presided over the first two meetings of the council held at Ilesha in June 1900. Subsequently, Otun was made the administrative headquarters of Ekitiland and the third and only meeting of the council which took place in Ekitiland was held at Otun in August 1900[/quote]

1 Like

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 11:34am On Jul 18, 2017
SaffronSpice:

During the Kiriji war Oore's recognition as the leader of Ekiti obas was affirmed by Reverend Charles Philip, the messenger to C. A. Moloney, the governor of Lagos by what he wrote in a note on 4th May 1886 about his visit to Okemesi during the war. He said "we first call on Oray (Oore), king of Otun who is regarded as the senior of Ekiti kings. I read the Governor's letter to him".In 1899, Major Reeve Tucker was appointed by the Colonial Secretary to take charge of the administration of Ekitiland inclusive of Ijesha. After his extensive tour of this unit between October 1899 and February 1900, he established the Ekiti council of Obas and Oore was made the president. It is on record that he presided over the first two meetings of the council held at Ilesha in June 1900. Subsequently, Otun was made the administrative headquarters of Ekitiland and the third and only meeting of the council which took place in Ekitiland was held at Otun in August 1900

The governor of Lagos, who was in control of Benin former colony of Lagos, just wrestled from Oba Kosoko in 1853. Basically, The chief of Otun was one of most important in Ekiti Land, hundreds of years after it was a Benin outpost on the fringes of the empire.
Clutching at straws explains it perfectly. cheesy grin

Leader of minor chiefs/kings would amount to at most third class category then. Still no gazette stating exact class relative to Alaafin or Awujale for example.grin cheesy
By the way, 1899 is good two years after Oba Ovonramwen got to Calabar exile.

Very recent manoeuvrings by Colonial people to position themselves just before 1914 all the same.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:54am On Jul 18, 2017
Obaluf0n:

[s]Lol they are one very funny people whose history began with mid-western region.

I think it is even more funny that their version of history seem not to have any corroboration anywhere outside Bini. It is just them concocting tales, dishing them out, telling you it is all facts but sources can not be found anywhere else except in their Oba's mouth cheesy

Bros mo tire o! You have been defending Yoruba from Ibo attacks for years, nor give up now o. This Bini folks are a cake walk for you.
[/s]
Bini 'Empire', Oyo 'VILLAGE'

GET THAT IN UR SKULL
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by ndubueze92(m): 12:00pm On Jul 18, 2017
Deseo:
Benin ancestors right now.
Are you an Art student?
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 18, 2017
SaffronSpice:

he's lying if i am the otun guy he's refering to.
What i asked him to provide was proof that otun was a vassal state to benin till now he's yet to do so.
Instead he started talking about Benelux countries,his royal ancestry,relatives in Ekitiland and all sorts of poppycock.
Read the encounter on the last pages of this thread:https://www.nairaland.com/3394552/traditionalists-parade-streets-benin-ahead/6 .Would this have been the case if owo or Eko were the topic being debated?
No,he would have cited one or two benin influence.
Yet he's here trying to shore up his cred. by saying I "ended up soliciting for more historical facts " from him. Like WTF? What does this joker knows about Otun or Mobaland grin.
Otun couldn't have been a vassal state of benin without any vestige of Benin influence on the town or its throne.
The bold is very correct.
To add to that there's a popular saying extracted from the panegyric of ekan-meje - these towns along with otun and eight others make up moba merindinlogun - that ogun o ko wa ri ni ekan-meje.
Erele a diety is said to have helped in halting the advance of the Oyo army into mobaland through ekanmeje(you can confirm this by visiting ekanmeje in okeero lga,kwara state.It borders otun,or otun ekiti).
So how can anyone claim otun was ever under Benin?
That's trash!

Finally, it is nice to meet/hear from you sir.

Our friend has forever bandied this 'lie' around as some sort of proof/citation of his knowledge in Yoruba history and to pain his point as a fact.

Please pardon the reference I made to you as 'ignorant' because clearly from your post you are far from anything ignorant.

Thank you for finally coming up to lay this claim of his to rest.

1 Like

SaffronSpice:

Bros this practise didn't end after 1914, it continued until the point of their last Oba that passed. I will corroborate your point with screen shot from a text that cites pre/colonial sources after I get my iPad charged up.

1 Like

AreaFada2:

Lol! Chai. BEDC just cannot stop churning out lies written by their fellow liars. cheesy grin

Full time job though. There is dignity in labour, even dirty labour. shocked shocked

So as long as it doesn't come from your King's mouth then it is lie eh?

I suppose Bini knows the history of Yoruba more than the Yoruba I suppose?

If Bini stories could find convincing verifiable sources in other places outside of Bini then it would hold some water.

In history, it is generally agreed that 'a fact becomes a fact only when there's little to no room for objection'. Your bini stories leave a lot of rooms for objections from being riddled with conjectures and absence of external sources that should abound in cultural arts and politicsto verify these claims.

Adios, my Bini friend.

1 Like

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:07pm On Jul 18, 2017
[[s]quote author=SaffronSpice post=58573877]It is very necessary that we begin to do the right thing henceforth. When Oba Okunade Sijuade joined his ancestors, so many papers carried it then, that the proper procedure in announcing his passage was not followed. They made it clear, that it was the Oore that was supposed to announce the death officially. So, that is the situation. It is a known history, whether it is followed or not, it is another thing entirely.Let me give you a similar example, prior to 1914, when any Oba died in Benin, they must bury such an Oba in Ile-Ife, since the time of Eweka. It was even Oba Sijuade, who said it, in one of the interviews he granted. He said the last one that happened was around 1914 and since that time, it never happened again. The Benin Obas are never brought again to Ile-Ife for burial. Up till now, the Benin people have a grotto in Ile-Ife. Oba Ado Bini where they were usually buried. So people may not now say you must carry the corpse of an Oba of Benin to Ile-Ife to bury. These are the type of things that are fast changing the way and manner things were done in the past.
Read this coup de grace the Oore gives AreaFada2 for trying to belittle Mobaland hahaha[/quote][/s]

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP TRYING TO SPREAD THIS USELESS IRRITATING LIE?...... ARE YOU LOTS MAD?..... NO OBA OF BENIN FROM OGISO ERA TILL NOW HAS EVER BEEN BURIED OUTSIDE THE OGBE QUATERS IN BENIN...... MUST YOU LOT ALWAYS ACT LIKE ILLITERATES?....... WHAT USELESS ILE IFE WATEVER ARE U TALKING ABOUT?....... IS IT THE USELESS ILE IFE THE POST OF OONI IS AUCTIONED AT A PARTY WITH GOAT MEAT AND BEER?.... WAT SORT OF RUBBISH IS THIS!!
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:14pm On Jul 18, 2017
[[s]quote author=Obaluf0n post=58577032]

Bros this practise didn't end after 1914, it continued until the point of their last Oba that passed. I will corroborate your point with screen shot from a text that cites pre/colonial sources after I get my iPad charged up.[/quote][/s]

I DARE YOU AND YOUR ANCESTORS BRING PROOF SHOWING A GRAVESIDE FULL OF THE REAL OBAS .... THE BENIN OBAS IN YOUR HELL HOLE ILE IFE AND I WILL DELETE MY NAIRALAND ACCOUNT!!

INFACT I DARE YOUR WHOLE GENERATION!! angry I GET UNA TIME TODAY...... THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU LOT WILL TRY AND PEDDLE THIS DISGUSTING LIE...... IS IT YOUR STUPID ILE IFE THAT DOESTNT KNOW WAT ROYALTY IS EVEN IF IT LANDS THERE ON A SPACESHIP THAT WILL HOST THE BODIES OF TRUE ROYALTY?

WHAT A GROUP OF CLOWNS!!........ AreaFada2 take note if this wankers bring "non existent" prove remind me to delete my account
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[[s]quote author=Obaluf0n post=58577032]

Bros this practise didn't end after 1914, it continued until the point of their last Oba that passed. I will corroborate your point with screen shot from a text that cites pre/colonial sources after I get my iPad charged up.[/s]

I DARE YOU AND YOUR ANCESTORS BRING PROOF SHOWING A GRAVESIDE FULL OF THE REAL OBAS .... THE BENIN OBAS IN YOUR HELL HOLE ILE IFE AND I WILL DELETE MY NAIRALAND ACCOUNT!!

INFACT I DARE YOUR WHOLE GENERATION!! angry I GET UNA TIME TODAY...... THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU LOT WILL TRY AND PEDDLE THIS DISGUSTING LIE...... IS IT YOUR STUPID ILE IFE THAT DOESTNT KNOW WAT ROYALTY IS EVEN IF IT LANDS THERE ON A SPACESHIP THAT WILL HOST THE BODIES OF TRUE ROYALTY?

WHAT A GROUP OF CLOWNS!!........ AreaFada2 take note if this wankers bring "non existent" prove remind me to delete my account

LOL this nigga is one sick clown.

AreaFada2, abeg get your brother o cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
[s][quote author=Obaluf0n post=58577383]

LOL this nigga is one sick clown.

AreaFada2, abeg get your brother o
[/s]

YOU DEY CRAZE YOU BLUUDY CLOWN...... LIKE I SAID I GET UNA TIME TDAY...... I GO HUMBLE UNA FOR THIS THREAD TODAY JUST LIKE THE HEADS OF YOUR KINGS WERE CUT OFF BY ORDERS OF THE EMPIRE BACK IN THE DAYS!!......... THE ISEKURE QUATERS BARRED OF FROM PEOPLE AT OGBE QUATERS IS FILLED WITH THE HEADS OF YORUBA KINGS...... GO AND ASK ANY HIGH CHIEF IN BENIN...... BECAUSE WE EDOS DO NOT BRAG DOESNT MEAN WE WONT PUT RATS BACK IN THIER HOLE!!

BRING THOSE NON EXISTENCE PROOF WILL I WAIT!!!

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by EdoNation(f): 12:28pm On Jul 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1 we both know they have no proof to back up their absurd lies .... Don't waste you time with them dear ........

Are you Royalty?.... Your last post about the isekure QUATERS caught my attention

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:29pm On Jul 18, 2017
EdoNation:
KingOvoramwen1 we both know they have no proof to back up their absurd lies .... Don't waste you time with them dear ........

Are you Royalty?.... Your last post about the isekure QUATERS caught my attention

Era mé owie OGBE nóo
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 18, 2017
ndubueze92:
Are you an Art student?

No.
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[[s]quote author=SaffronSpice post=58573877]It is very necessary that we begin to do the right thing henceforth. When Oba Okunade Sijuade joined his ancestors, so many papers carried it then, that the proper procedure in announcing his passage was not followed. They made it clear, that it was the Oore that was supposed to announce the death officially. So, that is the situation. It is a known history, whether it is followed or not, it is another thing entirely.Let me give you a similar example, prior to 1914, when any Oba died in Benin, they must bury such an Oba in Ile-Ife, since the time of Eweka. It was even Oba Sijuade, who said it, in one of the interviews he granted. He said the last one that happened was around 1914 and since that time, it never happened again. The Benin Obas are never brought again to Ile-Ife for burial. Up till now, the Benin people have a grotto in Ile-Ife. Oba Ado Bini where they were usually buried. So people may not now say you must carry the corpse of an Oba of Benin to Ile-Ife to bury. These are the type of things that are fast changing the way and manner things were done in the past.
Read this coup de grace the Oore gives AreaFada2 for trying to belittle Mobaland hahaha[/s]

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP TRYING TO SPREAD THIS USELESS IRRITATING LIE?...... ARE YOU LOTS MAD?..... NO OBA OF BENIN FROM OGISO ERA TILL NOW HAS EVER BEEN BURIED OUTSIDE THE OGBE QUATERS IN BENIN...... MUST YOU LOT ALWAYS ACT LIKE ILLITERATES?....... WHAT USELESS ILE IFE WATEVER ARE U TALKING ABOUT?....... IS IT THE USELESS ILE IFE THE POST OF OONI IS AUCTIONED AT A PARTY WITH GOAT MEAT AND BEER?.... WAT SORT OF RUBBISH IS THIS!!
The thing tire me o. A place a person whose father is alive will king. Na Spain Abi Holland?
The fact that the richest or more influential person from the royal family gets the Ooni position simply shows the funny nature of it.
In 1914, there was no Oba resident in Benin to begin. Eweka I I coronation was in 1914 and lived till 1933. From 1888 to 1933, no Oba joined his ancestors in Benin. There had been no Oba in Benin since 1897 till 1914.
So which Oba died in Benin in 1914)

1 Like

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

The thing tire me o. A place a person whose father is alive will king. Na Spain Abi Holland?
The fact that the richest or more influential person from the royal family gets the Ooni position simply shows the funny nature of it.
In 1914, there was no Oba resident in Benin to begin. Eweka I I coronation was in 1914 and lived till 1933. From 1888 to 1933, no Oba joined his ancestors in Benin. There had been no Oba in Benin since 1897 till 1914.
So which Oba died in Benin in 1914)

You speak down on a throne that supersedes the one in your home town. You speak down on a throne whose coronation process is complex, historical and very spiritual compared to the throne in your town whose coronation is simplistic in nature. You speak down on a throne that gave your town the relevance it has.

To enlighten you the Bini's primogeniture system wasn't always the case, one of your kings, recent one, put the system in place. I think the one who fought with his brother. Prior to this, the Bini throne was open to contest amongst all males of royal blood.

Also, the fact that Ooni-ship is thrown open to every male line tells you the monarchy in Ife has very much evolved for them to have been able to manage such a complex system. There is just one ruling house with sub-houses who all get along and see themselves as one. Money is not used to contest the throne but it is a requisite, every Ooni since Oduduwa to Obalufon Alayemore who is arguable the wealthiest Ooni ever to the present Ooni has to embody 'aje' (goddess of wealth), there's a reason why everyone who must become an Ooni must be birthed by Odu Ifa of Eji Ogbe during Ifa initiation (this Odu not only stamps the person as a head but talks about the aje flowing from every part of this person's body). The problem is, you sit in the comfort of Bini fantasy to speak on things you have limited knowledge of and even attempt to impose your falsehood upon without studying what makes Ife/Yoruba very huge in research areas despite never witnessing European presence till 19th century, 400 years after Bini had been exposed to Europeans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[s]

LOL you want to humble who without making any meaningful contributions other than what seems like endless face me and face you vitriol? This fellow is super deluded. AreaFada2 is this your alternate handle? grin
Re: FACTS About The Great Wall Of Benin by AreaFada2: 3:47pm On Jul 18, 2017
Obaluf0n:

You speak down on a throne that supersedes the one in your home town. You speak down on a throne whose coronation process is complex, historical and very spiritual compared to the throne in your town whose coronation is simplistic in nature. You speak down on a throne that gave your town the relevance it has.

To enlighten you the Bini's primogeniture system wasn't always the case, one of your kings, recent one, put the system in place. I think the one who fought with his brother. Prior to this, the Bini throne was open to contest amongst all males of royal blood.

Also, the fact that Ooni-ship is thrown open to every male line tells you the monarchy in Ife has very much evolved for them to have been able to manage such a complex system. There is just one ruling house with sub-houses who all get along and see themselves as one. Money is not used to contest the throne but it is a requisite, every Ooni since Oduduwa to Obalufon Alayemore who is arguable the wealthiest Ooni ever to the present Ooni has to embody 'aje' (goddess of wealth), there's a reason why everyone who must become an Ooni must be birthed by Odu Ifa of Eji Ogbe during Ifa initiation (this Odu not only stamps the person as a head but talks about the aje flowing from every part of this person's body). The problem is, you sit in the comfort of Bini fantasy to speak on things you have limited knowledge of and even attempt to impose your falsehood upon without studying what makes Ife/Yoruba very huge in research areas despite never witnessing European presence till 19th century, 400 years after Bini had been exposed to Europeans.
Abeg stop the nonsense. Ogiso dynasty produced Izoduwa/Your Oduduwa. Ogiso dynasty had about 35 Obagodo/Ogiso before producing Oduduwa.
Ooni position forever remains inferior to Benin throne. The political plot to unify all Yoruba under Oduduwa is clever but not enough to fool us. grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Saadatu Lamido Celebrates Her 19th Birthday / Historical Relation Between Edo And Yoruba Culture And Politics / Ooni Of Ife To Marry 6th Wife On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.