Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (389196 Views)

Yankee To Naija: Thoughts And Experiences / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 5:34am On Jul 13, 2018
MackyNaija:

No Sir, I do not know anyone in the aforementioned schools.

In-state tuition cost for schools in Texas is around $5k per semester.

hi,

Please I need to speak with you privately but you don't reply PMs... how do I go about it. it's urgent please.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:49am On Jul 13, 2018
thebee001:

hi,

Please I need to speak with you privately but you don't reply PMs... how do I go about it. it's urgent please.
True, I don't reply pms.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Glocal1: 7:19am On Jul 13, 2018
MackyNaija:

Thanks bro, I wish you the best.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 13, 2018
MackyNaija:
True, I don't reply pms.
how do I get through to you then
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by orbis(m): 6:48am On Jul 16, 2018
Macky....what's going on. Give us update na.

No start watin you no fit finish oh

By the way, how una de enjoy the humidity in Texas
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 4:25am On Jul 17, 2018
orbis:
Macky....what's going on. Give us update na.

No start watin you no fit finish oh

By the way, how una de enjoy the humidity in Texas
Who say I never finish wetin I start?? cheesy

It is terrible man. 95*F but real feel is between 105 to 110F.
I checked up Lagos temperature for the hottest months and it is around 93*F.

It's still the summer break, I am laying down the strategy for how to survive next semester.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by ak22(m): 11:44pm On Jul 17, 2018
MackyNaija:

You must surely survive
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AlterEnigma(m): 7:35pm On Jul 18, 2018
MackyNaija:

That was part of what another poster wrote that started the current discussion I replied above...

It is full of assumptions. I only wish people that school here with me could comment..
How many Nigerians leave for the US masters with confirmed $10k - $15k??

Hope keeps us alive here, there are numerous legitimate ways to push through the financial aspecs and complete the program.

Chief of which is getting an RA in a big school, your entire tuition could be fully funded.

Finally, check for the list of funded schools on 'prodigy finance' and try to attend one as this can be used as a backup plan if need be.

Forget the naysayers and make the move.

Lool, free that guy...
they say ''who nor go nor know"....

The bolded has said basically alot.... I was already writing an epistle but i cleared it all

I know peeps that just came here with one shirt and trouser in their hand luggage and legitimately they are now doing fine (lol, i nor advice you to try am oo)
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Lhimeet(m): 12:30am On Jul 19, 2018
AlterEnigma:

Lool, free that guy...

The bolded has said basically alot.... I was already writing an epistle but i cleared it all

I know peeps that just came here with one shirt and trouser in their hand luggage and legitimately they are now doing fine (lol, i nor advice you to try am oo)

You don move Bro? shocked
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 9:30am On Jul 19, 2018
AlterEnigma:

Lool, free that guy...

By legitimate, I mean student loan.. Na small money.

We are soooo used to buying only what we can pay for in full cheesy. No let fear catch una, borrowing SMALL to invest in your future makes financial sense.

[s]You wan begin involve me for wetin I nor talk. Which one by one shirt, one trouser??[/s] grin

E be like say you no know say some schools deh pay GA $1500, you better transfer go find better block. tongue
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 5:01pm On Jul 21, 2018
@mackynaija I will be coming over to the USA for my masters. I will like you to suggest important things to bring along (Types of cloths, accessories) also considering the luggage limit allowed in planes

Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2018
Tunmise100:
@mackynaija I will be coming over to the USA for my masters. I will like you to suggest important things to bring along (Types of cloths, accessories) also considering the luggage limit allowed in planes

Thanks
I wrote something about this same time last year...

Luggage limit will be seen on your airline site.

The smallest items are the most expensive - bathe sponge, boxers, no need to bring a clipper (we use 110v here), t-shirts are the everyday wear here (temperature readings go above 100*F).

Since you don't earn in dollars, once you see a 100naira sponge for 3dollars, you go provoke. grin

I came here and bought footwear, they are more durable and costs same price with the fake in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheGrandChemist(m): 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2018
MackyNaija:

I wrote something about this same time last year...

Luggage limit will be seen on your airline site.

The smallest items are the most expensive - bathe sponge, boxers, no need to bring a clipper (we use 110v here), t-shirts are the everyday wear here (temperature readings go above 100*F).

Since you don't earn in dollars, once you see a 100naira sponge for 3dollars, you go provoke. grin

I came here and bought footwear, they are more durable and costs same price with the fake in Nigeria.

Thanks man. I was already thinking of getting a clipper. That would have been a waste of money.

I learnt that jeans are expensive over there. Consequently, it would be better to get enough jeans in Nigeria before coming over.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AlterEnigma(m): 10:56pm On Jul 21, 2018
Lhimeet:

You don move Bro? shocked

lol,. E Nor mean say i nor go play the next Punt for Pride oo
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AlterEnigma(m): 11:01pm On Jul 21, 2018
MackyNaija:

By legitimate, I mean student loan.. Na small money.

We are soooo used to buying only what we can pay for in full cheesy. No let fear catch una, borrowing SMALL to invest in your future makes financial sense.

[s]You wan begin involve me for wetin I nor talk. Which one by one shirt, one trouser??[/s] grin

E be like say you no know say some schools deh pay GA $1500, you better transfer go find better block. tongue

lmao.. lol

we are on the same page
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:07pm On Jul 21, 2018
TheGrandChemist:

Thanks man. I was already thinking of getting a clipper. That would have been a waste of money.

I learnt that jeans are expensive over there. Consequently, it would be better to get enough jeans in Nigeria before coming over.
I failed to mention jeans..
Several will be fine. $25-$40 for a Jean on most sites I checked.

If you know how to cook please bring egusi, you go cry if you see the price for USA. There is wheat here.

Dried and stock fish should have no bugs, if not na inside dustbin for airport e go end.

If you can't cook, use the next few days to learn - crash course in cooking. It will help your life or fastfood go drain your pocket.

9 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 11:21pm On Jul 21, 2018
As embassy no get joy, na so border protection no get joy..

You say you are on a non-immigrant visa, why did you come with all your life's document??

Please keep all 'unnecessary' papers waec and nysc inclusive at home or tucked away in your big luggages.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Lhimeet(m): 12:00am On Jul 22, 2018
AlterEnigma:

lol,. E Nor mean say i nor go play the next Punt for Pride oo
You no even answer my question..

Sure thing na.. Everything na still hustle
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by TheGrandChemist(m): 6:00am On Jul 22, 2018
MackyNaija:

I failed to mention jeans..
Several will be fine. $25-$40 for a Jean on most sites I checked.

If you know how to cook please bring egusi, you go cry if you see the price for USA. There is wheat here.

Dried and stock fish should have no bugs, if not na inside dustbin for airport e go end.

If you can't cook, use the next few days to learn - crash course in cooking. It will help your life or fastfood go drain your pocket.

Thanks man
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 22, 2018
MackyNaija:
As embassy no get joy, na so border protection no get joy..

You say you are on a non-immigrant visa, why did you come with all your life's document??

Please keep all 'unnecessary' papers waec and nysc inclusive at home or tucked away in your big luggages.
Hahaha, it's because your country dey anyhow. Someone from a western world will not be treated the same.
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:20pm On Jul 22, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Hahaha, it's because your country dey anyhow. Someone from a western world will not be treated the same.
Plus all the ladies carrying loads of hair attachments...
Desist! You are going for fulltime studies and not to be a merchant or business owner - CBP deh vex!

I recently was told of a guy that went Tooooo early for visa Interview.. Till tomorrow, his case is still 'undecided'.

You also show up too early to the US (before earliest date of entry on the i20), in most cases na immediate deportation be that o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AlterEnigma(m): 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2018
Lhimeet:

You no even answer my question..

Sure thing na.. Everything na still hustle

Lol, you suppose read inbetween the lines na

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Lhimeet(m): 11:18pm On Jul 22, 2018
AlterEnigma:

Lol, you suppose read inbetween the lines na
No mind me..

I just wan hear the answer from the bulls mouth..

Enjoy Bro.. I go alert you when PFP start
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Adebuble(f): 4:09pm On Jul 23, 2018
This is an interesting thread, and I must say it good for everyone to know and weigh options,.

I travel mostly to the US, did my Masters in Maryland a private school cos I don't want to do any examination which worked out for me. I went to Babcock University for my 1st degree so it was easy to go to another Seventh day Adventist University in US for easy transfer of credit and start off of Masters..

I did my Masters in 2010-2011, I had mad fun, although my classes were in the evening so I worked on-campus during the day, and also worked outside campus too(baby sitting), I was a home stay sitter. So I used all my resources to work n put a roof over my head..

You see US is flexible provided you know you way around, pls note do legal things.

So if you get an admission into a big school there is the likelihood that you will get on- campus job,no matter the rate per hour take it so that you know your sorted to an extent.. I was doing two jobs Everyday n go to school evening of Tuesdays and Thursdays so I was able to balance my self, there was a point that I was doing three jobs..although my tuition was paid from Nigeria but I had to sort my up keep myself..

On campus jobs will help with Social security number n filling of tax return, also state ID. And later jobs After you are done with school you get OPT for authorized work out side campus.

After my Master I came back home and I have gone to the US many more times without stress..

There are endless possibilities in the US, provided you follow the laws n rules there...

28 Likes

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 5:46pm On Jul 23, 2018
Adebuble:
This is an interesting thread, and I must say it good for everyone to know and weigh options,.

I travel mostly to the US, did my Masters in Maryland a private school cos I don't want to do any examination which worked out for me. I went to Babcock University for my 1st degree so it was easy to go to another Seventh day Adventist University in US for easy transfer of credit and start off of Masters..

I did my Masters in 2010-2011, I had mad fun, although my classes were in the evening so I worked on-campus during the day, and also worked outside campus too(baby sitting), I was a home stay sitter. So I used all my resources to work n put a roof over my head..
Thanks for your input... smiley
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by AlterEnigma(m): 11:56pm On Jul 27, 2018
Lhimeet:

No mind me..

I just wan hear the answer from the bulls mouth..

Enjoy Bro.. I go alert you when PFP start

lool... i think say na Horse get mouth before

oshey .. thanks
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Lhimeet(m): 12:00am On Jul 28, 2018
AlterEnigma:

lool... i think say na Horse get mouth before

oshey .. thanks
grin grin grin
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Yanumo(m): 11:00am On Jul 28, 2018
Guys, The instructions page on your ds-160 confirmation page and your visa appointment page are they needed at the embassy?
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by Tunmise100(m): 11:30am On Jul 28, 2018
Yanumo:
Guys, The instructions page on your ds-160 confirmation page and your visa appointment page are they needed at the embassy?

You must take along with you the following (especially if you are a student):
Passport
Admission letter
SOA aka bank statements
I20 form
SEVIS receipt
BSc certificate Although optional
School transcript if you have it
Test scores slip
DS-160 confirmation,
appointment confirmation.
*2 photographs passport if needed

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by KendrickAyomide: 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2018
MackyNaija:
Insurance for this semester is cut throat - Spring and Summer together = $1,360.
Kai! I nor fit breath! embarassed cry cry cry

Fall 2017 was about $7,700 out-of-state tuition.
..............and about $2,950 in-state tuition.

Spring 2018 is about $8,250 out-of-state tuition.
..............and about $3,450 in-state tuition.

The values above are what is to be paid for each tuition category per semester (9 credit hours or 3 courses).
An approximate $500 difference between each semester (for each category) stems from the increased insurance fee.

Total waivers are about $4200 (tuition waiver) and $500 graduate scholarship ($1,000 total split into 2 semesters).

Free money is good, package your application properly and you can stand a chance. wink
is your insurance returned after the semester or them Go chop am
Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by MackyNaija(m): 1:35pm On Jul 28, 2018
KendrickAyomide:
is your insurance returned after the semester or them Go chop am
grin You deh jonse ooo.
Insurance in the US is big business... The money don go even though I have never used it! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences by KendrickAyomide: 1:41pm On Jul 28, 2018
MackyNaija:

grin You deh jonse ooo.
Insurance in the US is big business... The money don go even though I have never used it! embarassed
i no Go Gree. i o Go they run steady checkups make mai money no waste

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (109) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 23 / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.