Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition (29704 Views)

Enugu: Three-Storey Building Marked For Demolition Collapses / "The Collapsed Lagos Island Building Had Been Marked For Demolition Last Year" / Lands And Houses In Estates For Sale At Choice Places In Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 26, 2017
most of the land in lagos is below sea level hence prone to flooding

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by SalamRushdie: 8:29am On Jul 26, 2017
Jbleenk:
Gobe. The rich also cry. Hope they ar not bringing down that subomi's house (fcmb) the finest house in lekki and maybe Naija cus I no go gree

His house is in Ikoyi and not Lekki
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Reference(m): 8:32am On Jul 26, 2017
Told them the island has no future. Disinvestment must be complete in ten years before the holdings adopt junk status. In 50 years the only thing that may be left standing is the Dangote refinery and just out of necessity....as long as polar ice continues to melt.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Almaheed: 8:32am On Jul 26, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This Commissioner for the Environment, Dr. Babatunde Adejare thinks he is smarter than the other commissioners before him who overlooked these houses.

Being overzealous doesn't pay in this country.
Dora Akunyili learnt that the hard way.

I'd advise he thinks about his life and family first before he thinks of the Lagos flood.

After all,
Water will always find it's level.

take your thrash talk out of here, I wanted to avoid replying you but your comments ooze of stupidity. this is a man trying to right a wrong and you call him overzealous, someone who was appointed to make Lagos environment friendly. when you don't live in Lagos why won't you rant your stupidity
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by kolaaderin: 8:33am On Jul 26, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This Commissioner for the Environment, Dr. Babatunde Adejare thinks he is smarter than the other commissioners before him who overlooked these houses.

I'd advise he thinks about his life and family first before he thinks of the Lagos flood.

After all,

And Buhari is learning the hard way too.
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by tete7000(m): 8:35am On Jul 26, 2017
How about Lagos Atlantic City?, that white elephant project. Hope they include it.
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by waledeji(m): 8:35am On Jul 26, 2017
younglleo:
Amuboldee... A minute silence to some Afonjas grin

Taught all the big houses in lagos belongs to Igbos cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by CaptainFM1: 8:35am On Jul 26, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
:

After all,

Foremost, It is a metaphor, not really about water. It means people will seek and hang out with people of the same character, social class, economic status, or educational background "water seeks its own level"

Back to Engineering, water is gradually finding its new level in the wetlands. What we are witnessing is a complete engineering failure. Attempts at displacing the Atlantic ocean rather than just normal coastline protection will continue to result in catastrophe.

Years back, Commissioner for Environment, Muiz Banire stated that in less than 20years, The Islands will submerged. People think he's mad, now they are witnessing the response from nature. I'm not sure if massive destruction alone will address this issues.

On the mainland, human attitude largely contribute to the flooding we are experiencing. Indiscriminate dumping of refuse everywhere and channels clearing need to be addressed.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by drnoel: 8:39am On Jul 26, 2017
Teewhy2:
The rich also about to cry, a lot of money is about to go down the drain. I dingy want to believe the development authority doesn't know women this house were at foundation level to stop all this investment that is about to go down the drain. If na average people wan build as you don dey do foundation they go don come put that there red Mark on the building.

Considering doing a roof parapet?
check out price comparison between a concrete cast in suite against polystyrene parapet.
Polystyrene parapet is light weight and doesn't have much impact on the land.
excellent usage on swampy environment.
click below for more details.

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene/4

The government has no option but to compensate them and then do serious work of rechannelling those drainages. Its sad but it has to be done and only way is a radical approach like this. Yes people will loose their homes but not without compensation.
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by bayulll011(m): 8:40am On Jul 26, 2017
Xcelinteriors:
I hear. Ambode can't even dream it let alone of trying it

it will happen and nothing will sheeleee,take it to any court,biafra,ecowas,au,world court lagos will win.

reasons there is a threat to life,and those court dont joke with human life,not like your useless high court for the highest bidder
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by do4luv14(m): 8:41am On Jul 26, 2017
rozayx5:
Lagos needs more underground drainage and canals

With all their money its change

Julius berger completed one recently in uyo this year which stopped flooding

you sew its greediness that's causing those flooding so, started by TINUBU carried on by FASHOLA, now AMOBODE wants to do the impossible,

I call it the impossible, cos its greed that pushing his action, when you know the people and. Property he mention, you will understand
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by dasauce(m): 8:42am On Jul 26, 2017
You'll be shocked... It happened in Oshodi, Abule-Egba, Surulere... So tell me, you don't want to stand in the Caterpillar way I guess

Xcelinteriors:
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by drnoel: 8:44am On Jul 26, 2017
CaptainFM1:

Foremost, It is a metaphor, not really about water. It means people will seek and hang out with people of the same character, social class, economic status, or educational background "water seeks its own level"

Back to Engineering, water is gradually finding its new level in the wetlands. What we are witnessing is a complete engineering failure. Attempts at displacing the Atlantic ocean rather than just normal coastline protection will continue to result in catastrophe.

Years back, Commissioner for Environment, Muiz Banire stated that in less than 20years, The Islands will submerged. People think he's mad, now they are witnessing the response from nature. I'm not sure if massive destruction alone will address this issues.

On the mainland, human attitude largely contribute to the flooding we are experiencing. Indiscriminate dumping of refuse everywhere and channels clearing need to be addressed.

Its not about massive destruction but serious state of the art engineering construction and rechannelling of the drainage and canal. Most of Holland was built on water and in the 1900 more than 2/3 of the country was submerged by a massive flood. Google it and see for urself. They fought back and devised a method that allowed them live on lots of man made banks while giving the water its own respect and channels to pass. The problem with Nigeria is plenty and this lack of planning is one of em.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by SELEson: 8:49am On Jul 26, 2017
I think those estates were built when planning laws and regulations e.g coastal zone management was not in place.But then their are Mitigation measures.
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by CaptainFM1: 8:52am On Jul 26, 2017
quentin06:
most of the land in lagos is below sea level hence prone to flooding

Yeah, you are very correct. The government even complicate the situation by attempting to displace the Atlantic. They should have limit it to coastline protection.
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by younglleo: 8:53am On Jul 26, 2017
waledeji:

Taught all the big houses in lagos belongs to Igbos cheesy cheesy cheesy
stop taughting my guy..
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by newslifeop: 8:56am On Jul 26, 2017
Gbese
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by deebsman1(m): 8:59am On Jul 26, 2017
tripleY:
The whole estate or buildings along the drainage system/plan?

Sensational headlines bro
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by bellotaofeek: 9:07am On Jul 26, 2017
tripleY:
The whole estate or buildings along the drainage system/plan?

Suppose to be the buildings along the drainage ....
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 26, 2017
Commissioner for the Environment has made the recommendation. It is up to Ambode to give the executive order and the state ministry of works would do the dirty work... they have been other cases of mass building demolitions in Lagos, this would not be the first.

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

After all,
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by dawtune(m): 9:09am On Jul 26, 2017
CaptainFM1:

The most reasonable comment, thumbs up...

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by grandstar(m): 9:10am On Jul 26, 2017
ikukuhero:

You have only cited possible reasons for the floods but still have not come up with a better solution. Now, Sir/Madam, what in your opinion should government do? We need solutions and not theories.

Solution to what? You need to know the problem before finding a lasting solution

1 Like

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by U2ice(m): 9:25am On Jul 26, 2017
Wizberg12:
I'm sure Ambode won't be like Rochas who destroys without building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIH6CGB_8U

Unless him go carry d building go Ogun state cos I wonder which land wey him wan rebuild houses demolished cos they were built on lagoons. N to think of it sef na our ibo brothers they build lagoon houses to use 'buga' .

But I doubt fg na eye service b dis
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 26, 2017
lool ambode wants to demolish houses on the island. that place isnt otodo gbame that you can demolish anyhow. by the time his ogas at the top of tops gives him a call, he'll behave.
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by fem88(m): 9:31am On Jul 26, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

After all,

The fact that the previous commissioners failed to do their job doesn't mean the incumbent is overzealous. The time has come for us as a people to learn to do what is right as against what has been the tradition..
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by bluecircle470: 9:36am On Jul 26, 2017
Xcelinteriors:

And why?
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by fafambo: 9:50am On Jul 26, 2017
AMBODE IS WORKING

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Dee60: 9:50am On Jul 26, 2017
Who gave them permits to build in the first place? That person, body or institution should pay for the houses.

In Nigeria, we dont know which is worse, military or civilian!

Is it true that Africa needs to be re-colonized?

I see that Nigerians are the worse enemies of Nigerians, ditto Africa.

Once you give an African power he wants to steal, cheat and use his/her office to grossly oppress the citizens.

What kind of democracy is this? Can it really work? Can this photo-copied or photo-shopped democracy really work in Africa?
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by PsiData: 10:32am On Jul 26, 2017
Dora Akunyili is a star even though dead she shines the brightest... Do not compare her to those whose interest is solely in politics and chaos, hers was truth and integrity! She lived it to the fullest and if you term it overzealous sorry to say its your view, I pray I see another with her qualities in my lifetime for she is a rarebreed and a gem and my heroine.
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

After all,
Re: Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition by Mabelenena(f): 11:37am On Jul 26, 2017
Josh44s:
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Mod, it's too early to start making someone laugh abeg

To which planet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Wackiest Architecture In The World / Buy Lands At A New Layout In Akpuoga Nike, Enugu. / Meet The Bird, Architect That Didnt Attend Any School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.