Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Are There Jobs In Uk ? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are There Jobs In Uk ? (24788 Views)

2016 CHEVENING MSC SCHOLARSHIPS IN UK UNIVERSITIES / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) / Any Jobs In Oil/Gas Sector? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 5:07pm On Feb 08, 2010
tunde300us:

Both side of the coin is fristrating,one of is make believe(london) and the other one is reality(Nigeria).

Imagine someone without job in the UK,he comforts himself with the fact that he is in the UK(electricity,security and water 24/7) and one day the economy will be better he should get a job and for 2 yrs he is still there hoping.

The other person was once in the UK,left cos he realises all his active days is what the british system requires of a nigerian (dats why they help him with mortgage for all his life's worth) and as soon as he gets to nigeria he starts a small business and the business becomes big and he seemed comfortable until one day armed robbers invade his office and steals all he has worked for(if dem no kill am) and even borrowed to expand his growing business.

Pls tell me which one u go take ppl ?

FEAR is man's greatest problem and that is why most people never make anything out of their lives : I don't want to suffer, I don't want people to laugh at me, I don't want people to cheat me,  I don't want to lose money ,I don't want to be robbed, I don't want to die.
Which day you no go die. If anyone dies it is not because of whatever killed them it is because THEIR TIME IS SIMPLY UP THAT IS WHY THEY DIED. But it is better to die as a man than live as a worm.

How many people doing honest business and not living ostentatiously  do robbers kill every year in Naija even with all the terrible news you people hear up there. Very few. Don't people also die from criminals in UK ?
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by joxiri: 5:58pm On Feb 08, 2010
so pafun are you saying you friends should go to nigeria, cos it aint that great either,
its better u tell ur friends to get off their backside and head for the job centre
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 6:22pm On Feb 08, 2010
joxiri:

so pafun are you saying you friends should go to nigeria, cos it aint that great either,
  its better u tell your friends to get off their backside and head for the job centre
The choice belongs to everybody like him of course. Standard of living in Nigeria is awful believe me but you can still make yourself comfortable with help of friends if you have any. If not hey at least go do early morning work cleaning office even though I hear these jobs are even scarce now. I cannot accept to be fed by a woman  wife or whatever  when I am able-bodied.

I guarantee you if you have the courage to return home you will make it - as long as you don't stay in Lagos searching for job. If you  stay one year in a sane town where you are paying equivalent of 1000 pounds a year to rent a whole house (when you pay the same amount in a year for a single room in London!!)  ideas will surface in your head quickly because you know that you don't want to go and suffer again in London.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tunde300us(m): 10:00pm On Feb 08, 2010
its not just criminals that kills business in Nigeria,politics,religious crisis,govt policy summersault etc.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by kadman(m): 12:39am On Feb 09, 2010
Pafun you misfired with this post. . Your whole argument is based "on help of friends". Is that a life ? Please don't even start with unemployment rate in Uk compared to Nigeria. Nigeria is currently a sad joke.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by shotster50(m): 1:06am On Feb 09, 2010
@ Pafun, Your post is well intentioned but it really does come off as smug. Suddenly it seems as if doing any kind of business in Nigeria is better than anything anyone has going here in the UK. I have been in the Nigerian manufacturing sector for a long time and I can categorically tell you that right now, it is cheaper to import most goods from China than produce them in Nigeria!!!!!!!! You need to be totally self reliant (water, electricity, etc) and at the same time expected to make profits at the end of the year. Whereas you dont have those problems here.
To say the obstacle facing anyone trying to invest in Nigeria is not daunting, would be underestimating it. In as much as Nigerians are 'supposedly' in the U.K, Nigeria is an an even tougher terrain to operate in.

We need to know the pros and cons before jumping to conclusions.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by IykeD(m): 7:44am On Feb 09, 2010
The thing with Nigerians is that once they think they have arrived, they see their fellow beings as less of humans.Who in his right sense of mind will leave his country to another man's land to go do menial jobs if his own country was better off.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by AjanleKoko: 8:29am On Feb 09, 2010
I think there are probably more jobs in the UK than anywhere else in the entire EMEA region. That's Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, to the uninitiated.
I subscribe to many job boards, and have work authorization in the UK and a couple of other countries, though I live and work in NG. I can tell you, jobs are there in the UK. Maybe there are a bunch of other factors preventing those your guys. But for those chaps in the UK with the right papers, work experience, and education, they are gainfully employed. It's a much more advanced and diversified market.

Every time I search on Monster, say, for ME jobs, in the entire region, maybe you see 10 that fits your profile. But if I search maybe a UK location, like Romford, Essex, I get more than 10 suitable positions in that location alone.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 8:39am On Feb 09, 2010
tunde300us:

its not just criminals that kills business in Nigeria,politics,religious crisis,govt policy summersault etc.

Just being the wrong color kills your business in UK ; I know that.

kadman:

Pafun you misfired with this post. .  Your whole argument is based "on help of friends". Is that a life ? Please don't even start with unemployment rate in Uk compared to Nigeria. Nigeria is currently a sad joke.
Wrong ; the whole poit of the post is that an able bodied man ought to work for a living. If not in UK then go back home and ask people to help you because your mission abroad has clearly failed.

shotster50:

@ Pafun,  Your post is well intentioned but it really does come off as smug. Suddenly it seems as if doing any kind of business in Nigeria is better than anything anyone has going here in the UK.  I have been in the Nigerian  manufacturing sector for a long time and  I can categorically tell you that right now, it is cheaper to import most goods from China than produce them in Nigeria!!!!!!!! You need to be totally self reliant (water, electricity, etc)  and at the same time expected to make profits at the end of the year.  Whereas you dont have those problems here.
To say the obstacle facing anyone trying to invest in Nigeria is not daunting, would be underestimating it.  In as much as Nigerians are 'supposedly' in the U.K, Nigeria is an an even tougher terrain to operate in.

We need to know the pros and cons before jumping to conclusions,

When you think of all the obstacles that you are likely to meet before getting to the bus stop it is unlikely you will get out of bed. How many items in UK shops are manufactured in UK ? Go do your survey. The fact is that it is also less expensive to make anything in Chinaand in Nigeria than in UK. this is not the point of the post however. See above.

IykeD:

The thing with Nigerians is that once they think they have arrived, they see their fellow beings as less of humans.Who in his right sense of mind will leave his country to another man's land to go do menial jobs if his own country was better off.

Arrived ? Where is it written that I have arrived. I am writing out of compassion. Many people go to church every sunday to hear a similar message and it makes no impression on them whatsoever. They still return home feeling defeated because no miracle has occurred  and the economy has not gotten better since they went inside church . It is OK to leave your country in search of adventure , even UK citizen and Americans do it , but if your mission collapses be brave enough to accept that and return to wherever you came from else go somewhere else. Don't become the new local nuisance parasite again making  that place your new place of agony , and start another life of groaning and dishonesty because you have no job again.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by IykeD(m): 8:51am On Feb 09, 2010
Which is the better Economy, UK or Nigeria? Please answer!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 8:56am On Feb 09, 2010
I quote you :

IykeD:

If you go to another man's land in the hope that it is better than yours and for some reason the experience in terms of joblessness has proved no better , I will be man enough to go back home or look for somewhere else. That is what I did.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nobody: 9:21am On Feb 09, 2010
^^^who told u he would b better off than d UK when he finally get his backside back to NIGERIA? Things dnt just work out d way u tink. Let me tel u, NIGERIANS are suffering, No jobs, no water, no electricity, no good road, . . . . name them. . . . .No PRESIDENT! ! ! ! ! Haba! @poster, if ur friend has no job in UK, u can giv a helping hand by making him as one of d Top Executive in ur biz,ok? Atleast, he can be able to cater for his family and tink of starting a new biz of his own in d nearest future(never meant to pick any offence anyway).
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by juzme: 9:24am On Feb 09, 2010
pafun:

It is OK to leave your country in search of adventure , even UK citizen and Americans do it , but if your mission collapses be brave enough to accept that and return to wherever you came from else go somewhere else. Don't become the new local nuisance parasite again making  that place your new place of agony , and start another life of groaning and dishonesty because you have no job again.
You make some points here but you still failed to put into consideration some factors. It seems you are generalizing the argument. Going back home when you can't make ends meet in another country will depends on factors like, the country you are living, your home country, your social and economic status in your home country. family background and your financial status at the moment. It is only when you analyse these factors that you can decide whether to go back home or not.
You cant just ask someone to go home when his/her home country is not better and in the case of Nigeria worse.
Again, because someone could not find job for 2 years in UK or even in other countries doesn't necessarily mean he/she cannot find job later. There are some graduates in Nigeria that have no job for a period of 5 years. Infact never even have since they graduated, this people still depends on their family and friends for living.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pappilo(m): 12:52pm On Feb 09, 2010
This pafun is a big M.U.M.U.

I live in the UK and between Dec 2005 and August 2006, I was out of work. So if Pafun had met me during that period he would have thought I was a useless man abi? Today I have a house, a flat I rent out and make a profit on, 2 cars including a brand new Merc, savings, shares and a well paying job. Glory be to God. If I wasnt sacked from my other job , I wouldnt have got the job I have today which pays me more than I need. Somethings happen for a reason. In the neighbourhood I live over here there are quite a few Nigerians and they all have good jobs, live in their own homes and drive good cars. Many of them are contractors earning as much as £500/day. My wifes brother came to this country in Sep 2008 for hs masters. He finished in Dec and started work last month as a locum and is clearing £2000/ week. So Pafun if you roll in a circle with loser friends do not use that to judge the rest of us hardworking Nigerians in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tkb417(m): 12:58pm On Feb 09, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I think there are probably more jobs in the UK than anywhere else in the entire EMEA region. That's Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, to the uninitiated.
I subscribe to many job boards, and have work authorization in the UK and a couple of other countries, though I live and work in NG. I can tell you, jobs are there in the UK. Maybe there are a bunch of other factors preventing those your guys. But for those chaps in the UK with the right papers, work experience, and education, they are gainfully employed. It's a much more advanced and diversified market.

Every time I search on Monster, say, for ME jobs, in the entire region, maybe you see 10 that fits your profile. But if I search maybe a UK location, like Romford, Essex, I get more than 10 suitable positions in that location alone.
what jobs are u talking about?
hehehe, people are getting fired right , left and center and ure drawin conclusions from what u got from search engines
lol

my people, we all know its a lot better in any developed country than Nigeria
whereever u find urself, be the best u can be so u can enjoy the good of the land

some are better off living in Cotonou than living in New York. Stay where the opportunities are more and not because of the inherent aesthetics of a particular region. as for me , i have seen the best of both worlds and where i am now is the best place to be. tomorrow, i can decide to move to hong kong if ill be better off
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by leleri: 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2010
Pafun, I SINCERELY AGREE WITH U, HV BN TO UK MORE THAN 5 TIMES I KEEP WONDERING WHAT DIS GUYS ARE GOING TO DO THERE. ITS SHAMEFUL WHEN U SEE WHAT NIGERIANS GO THROUGH THERE 2 EARN A LIVING , THEY ARE EITHER WASHING TOILETS, SERVING TEA OR DOING SECURITY JOBS. U HAVE 3 - 4 OF THEM SHARING A ROOM AND THEY COME BACK HERE PRETEND TO PEOPLE ,BEHAVING LIKE BIG GUYS.I WOULD RATHER STAY HERE AND GO THERE 4 HOLIDAYS
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by domorehill: 1:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
Pafun why dont you tell all the fellow Nigerian in Lagos to go back to their state and start any kind of business,The Uk is for hard working people and professionals and not everyone is business oriented,just the same way we have some people who dont want to work for any one either but start their own business.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by mahal(m): 1:38pm On Feb 09, 2010
Pafun i agree with you 100%

I just wonder why guys would decide to argue and turn a blind eye to the Painful truth raised by the Poster.
lets be frank with ourselves for once, it's a lot easier to manage a life here at home.
why should engage myself in a job i would be ashamed or scared of telling my peeps about back home.??
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by JJay1(m): 1:51pm On Feb 09, 2010
[/quote][quote author=pappilo link=topic=394721.msg5479428#msg5479428 date=1265716323]

I live in the UK and between Dec 2005 and August 2006, I was out of work. So if Pafun had met me during that period he would have thought I was a useless man abi? Today I have a house, a flat I rent out and make a profit on, 2 cars including a brand new Merc, savings, shares and a well paying job. Glory be to God. If I wasnt sacked from my other job , I wouldnt have got the job I have today which pays me more than I need. Somethings happen for a reason. In the neighbourhood I live over here there are quite a few Nigerians and they all have good jobs, live in their own homes and drive good cars. Many of them are contractors earning as much as £500/day. My wifes brother came to this country in Sep 2008 for hs masters. He finished in Dec and started work last month as a locum and is clearing £2000/ week. So Pafun if you roll in a circle with loser friends do not use that to judge the rest of us hardworking Nigerians in the UK.

Thanks for this answer Pappilo. It is ignorants such as this PAFUN guy that makes the whole world assume Nigerians are only in the odd jobs industry overseas.

Pafun, you saw just 2 of your friends not having jobs at a specific time and you assumed the whole 2.5 million Nigerians are in same situation. Those your "2 friends" may not have job right now but the probability of them hitching jobs (if they are truly searching) is still far more than 70% even in this dire economic crisis. Would you honestly think they have have that chance in Nigeria of today where we have ignorants like yourself mismanaging the country? Using the Naija financial services industry as a case study - Do you know how many bankers lost their jobs in Nigeria within the last 6 months and do you know any bank recruiting in Nigeria?

Before you jump to the conclusion that Im here to run down my dear country Nigeria, let me let you know that Im a firm believer in Nigeria and Ive flown the flag of that country evevry country I find myself.

Back to the lifes Nigerians living abroad, may be you should visit this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-149807.544.html , you may just find out that NOT all Nigerians sit at home living on their wives (Trust me I will jump at the chance of chilling and watching Nigezie on Sky channel 204 and let my wife put food on the table, afterall we became 1 from our wedding day!!). Many Nigerians command £500/per day eeeeeaaaasssyyyy and are actually really sought after all over the globe, even at that case I know it will be myopic of me to assume all Nigerians abroad live in affluence simply because myself and "2 friends" happen to be blessed by God in our chosen careers!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by mizztee(f): 1:56pm On Feb 09, 2010
I understand where pafun (sp?) is coming from but his approach was wrong. I also live in the UK atm and graduated a year ago. I have been applying for lots of grad schemes where i sometimes get to AC stage but no luck even when they send you feedback, you can tell there is no reason per se and you realise you were just invited for statistical purposes. It is not easy to get a job as a foreigner in the UK right now and i honestly believe i am better off back home. I have since started applying to nigerian companies and been getting some responses. What i have observed from some nigerians who live here is they want to go home and be treated like royalty u know 500k/month, company car etc. I hear people say why should i accept 100k/month after schooling abroad? meanwhile the said individual graduated from london met. What we forget is that they are millions of well educated nigerians with excellent qualifiactions from top unis all over the world competing for these jobs as well and the onus is on you to make yourself stand out. If we are all afraid to go back because of the nigerian system, who is going to force the change our country urgently needs?
@ those saying thousands of nigerians are doing well, you know they only represent a tiny fraction of nigerians here. Most nigerians here are doing odd jobs that they will never accept back home.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 09, 2010
@leleri
Don't u tink people doin d odd jobs u mentioned above r better off than a Nigerian graduate roaming d streets in search of jobs? In 9ja nw, 85% of Nigerian graduates r jobles yet our universities/polytechnic keep graduating tens of thousands yearly. . . . . .no capital not to think of starting a smal biz xcept buying & selling kulikuli and groundnut. Lol . I prefer to wash toilet, clean streets,wash corpes, security abroad rather than been a 9ja graduate roaming d streets 4 job offer. And who told u Nigerian graduates are not doin security jobs dis days? By d way, this jobs are meant to b done by pple. Some of this pple doin dis odd jobs buy car(s), build house(s), send their children to sch, cater 4 their family back home etc wit d hope that someday, "E go better". Me d find that job ooo, if u get, holla at me ooo afta al, that one fit bring food to ma table.loooooool
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by seyenko(m): 2:01pm On Feb 09, 2010
There are no decent jobs in UK for Nigerians except you call washing toilet, sweeping train stations and doing mai guard job a decent job.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by jaybee3(m): 2:07pm On Feb 09, 2010
seyenko:

There are no decent jobs in UK for Nigerians except you call washing toilet, sweeping train stations and doing mai guard job a decent job.
so u think all Nigerians living in the UK only do d jobs u stated in your post
Ignorance is surely a disease
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by JJay1(m): 2:07pm On Feb 09, 2010
mahal:

Pafun i agree with you 100%

I just wonder why guys would decide to argue and turn a blind eye to the Painful truth raised by the Poster.
lets be frank with ourselves for once, it's a lot easier to manage a life here at home.
why should engage myself in a job i would be ashamed or scared of telling my peeps about back home.??

Mahal, so you reckon its better to be unemployed than flip burger at Burger King or stack the shelves at Tesco? Simply because you cant tell your community back home what you do for a living? It is this kind of short-sightednes and warped mentality that makes we Nigerians think unless you study Medicine, Law, Accounting or Engineering, then you are nobody.

Trust me your people at home dont care if you wash plates at Nandos, as long as you can do Western Union or Moneygram from time to time.

I'll leave you with a qoute, "Eni ti ko le se bi alaaru l'Oyingbo, ko le se bi Adegboro l'oja oba". (Too bad if you dont understand Yoruba, consult Alawiye)
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Godalone(m): 2:10pm On Feb 09, 2010
It is better to be jobless in Uk than to come home and be wasting.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by JJay1(m): 2:12pm On Feb 09, 2010
seyenko:

Didinrin of the highest order!!!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by sexxxxy(f): 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2010
Gosh, some of u just make senseless remarks, so annoying,

the word listen ,is more important ,than making stupid comments

what Pafun is trying to say is there are loads of opportunities in nigeria, ,so ppl need to get off their managing ass and take hold of the opportunities,

He saw his friends,that he knows,if they go to naija,will probably be better off ,than staying here and just wasting away and after 20 yrrs ,they will look back with regret, and wonder y ,they let fear dictate their lifes,

Incase u r wondering, yes i live and work in uk, and i dont do menial jobs,i've got a very good job(thank God for it),and i can afford to save a lot if i choose to, but even i wont delude myself and turn a blind eye to the opportunities and life out there in nigeria,, all ppl do in abroad is work in circles,,get a job, save some money,if that job ends,get another , and go round and round, same circle,in 3 yrs,u look back and notice , u r still in the same circle,

It's not what everybody wants to hear but it's the truth, yes i'm still here,but i'm thinking of doin something about it and recognise ,when someone is quoting sense ,
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by JJay1(m): 2:14pm On Feb 09, 2010
seyenko:

Didinrin of the highest order!!!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 2:19pm On Feb 09, 2010
pappilo:

God will save me from illiterates on Nairaland .
1. Before you can make me accept this, first change your profile location to London (or whatever) instead of Lagos, so that I can know where you are writing from.
2, If you are posting on Nairaland at this time of the day in UK (or wherever) it is doubtful that you have a job, and if you do you may soon lose it because it is against work ethics to do this.
3. Where in the original post did I mention your name ? When you call the vegetable seller and she angrily replies without provocation that she doesn't sell bad vegetables , better be suspicious of what she is selling
4. Where in the original post id I make generalised assessment of job conditions of Nigerians in UK ?
5. You did not have job in 2005 and you got in 2006 . Congrats.  The job market was still in bloom in 2005 by the way. Is 2006 the same as 2010 ?
6. You have two cars and two houses since 2006  on a job in UK ?.Congrats again, even though how much of it belongs to you and how much to finance ? If you bought them cash  I very much doubt it. Else are you selling funny powders ?
7. You have friends earning 500quid a day . How many days are they working in a year ? Not very many I am sure. I know several IT contractors , Nigerians and British; who have  not worked more than 5 days a month for 3 years
7. Your wife's brother  is now working as a locum on 2000 quid a week . Locum what ?

I think you are dreaming. Whatever your present disease is I sincerely  sympathise with you,
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Fhemmmy: 2:21pm On Feb 09, 2010
Yes they can . . . .But education is the key and sometimes, if you have to take some lesser jobs to get some experience, get some non paid jobs to get experience, do all it takes to get experience and all will be well.
Nothing comes easy
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by newbride: 2:26pm On Feb 09, 2010
@seyenko, off all the post i read in this forum it is you i wish to pick on. You must be snuts for your reply.

"There are no decent jobs in UK for Nigerians except you call washing toilet, sweeping train stations and doing mai guard job a decent job."

You must be nuts again. washing toilet, sweeping trains is not a job abi well when i came into this country i didn't start off with the job i am doing now, i was in schoool and had to make ends meet so i was a security guard in school as well and we both were bringing in nothing less than £ (all thanks to God) a month from cleaning and security. if i equate that its over half a million naira if am not wrong. but that was then. now, we are both qualified graduates with nothing less than £ (all thanks to God)a day coming home from the both of us. so if you wash toilet or clean, its only for a short period, not forever . All my friends and i say All my friends have very decent jobs, none of them goes home with less than £ a day so get your facts right

If you have applied for visa many times and have been refused, don't console yourself by saying what you don't know,
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nonnyl(m): 2:27pm On Feb 09, 2010
Cannt see why this topic should occupy the front page cos it is clueless?!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Screenshots Of My Conversation With A Chinese Recruiter Lol / Searching for a job? Click here to get free CV templates, interview tips etc. / Between My Teaching Job And A Bank Security Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.