Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Are There Jobs In Uk ? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are There Jobs In Uk ? (24785 Views)

2016 CHEVENING MSC SCHOLARSHIPS IN UK UNIVERSITIES / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) / Any Jobs In Oil/Gas Sector? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tbaba83(m): 12:58am On Feb 11, 2010
ezego_1:

@cap28
if a "nigerian" and a "malian" applied for the same job in "Nigeria" I can bet my head off that the "nigerian" would have the highest chances of getting the job except if the "Malian" had something more to offer.
Unfortunately the UK is not your country so you need to offer something more.
Why do you think the Indians and the Chinese are propering more than the Blacks in the UK, well my friend their parents realised ages ago that just sending their children to free schools that africans cherish so much in the UK would only keep them confined in their hole and you know what they did they saved every penny and sent these kids to proper private schools, sent them to oxbridge and pronto works like magic they beat the status quo.

I have been promoted over a lot of white colleagues and its not because i feel i deserve it but i have something extra to offer, same poo goes on wherever you may be in this world try and offer something more.

the problem with us blacks is that we love blaming others for our problems but ourselves.
God bless you for speaking the truth
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by debosky(m): 1:30am On Feb 11, 2010
@ cap28

I think your negative experiences have led you to over-generalise again. Not all black people are treate as 'last in, first out'.

You might feel enslaved, you might feel highly deprived and what not, but don't for one second think Nigeria is automatically better simply because you are black.

If you worry about being a 'slave' in the UK, ask Nigerians who are denied promotions because they are not from the right tribe as far as the promoting authority/person is concerned, or people denied their dues because they are not corrupt, or the millions who have suffered greatly from the tyranny of the privileged few. Think about the millions living poor lives and doing their best yet living in abject penury and you might understand why some will 'accept' some prejudices while still making a decent living.

I agree with you that the ultimate solution is to retake our country and make things better for us as a people and less focus on individual successes. BUT - not everyone will be willing to pay the price and will 'settle' for having a comfortable life (if not the best life possible) and give their kids and themselves an opportunity to live a better life.

Even if an individual decides to go 'make a difference' that doesn't guarantee things will change in Nigeria or will get better. Each person has to decide what is best for himself and what part he can play in the life of his nation.

The UK is no tea party, neither is Nigeria - to those making boastful comments about their current situations, be careful lest you fall.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 1:33am On Feb 11, 2010
ezego_1:

@cap28
if a "nigerian" and a "malian" applied for the same job in "Nigeria" I can bet my head off that the "nigerian" would have the highest chances of getting the job except if the "Malian" had something more to offer.
Unfortunately the UK is not your country so you need to offer something more.
Why do you think the Indians and the Chinese are propering more than the Blacks in the UK, well my friend their parents realised ages ago that just sending their children to free schools that africans cherish so much in the UK would only keep them confined in their hole and you know what they did they saved every penny and sent these kids to proper private schools, sent them to oxbridge and pronto works like magic they beat the status quo.

I have been promoted over a lot of white colleagues and its not because i feel i deserve it but i have something extra to offer, same poo goes on wherever you may be in this world try and offer something more.

the problem with us blacks is that we love blaming others for our problems but ourselves.

okay let me break it down for you so that maybe you might understand better - i am not applying for the job - i am already in it, however i am the only black lawyer in the entire department.

i dont understand your analogy of a nigerian and a malian, first of all australians, new zealanders and white south africans are not british citizens, they may have british ancestry but they are not british citizens hence the requirement that they apply for work permits - therefore to state that anyone from the above countries is entitled to be given preferential treatment over a british passport holder is ridiculous.

okay you say that i should offer something more - like what? in case you missed what i wrote above the new zealander had LESS EXPERIENCE than me but was allowed to learn on the job, how is it then that a person with MORE experience should still have to offer more?

Your comments about the indians and the chinese is complete garbage, in the UK there are blacks who do go to the so called ivy league colleges but many still do not do as well as their white counterparts in the job market.
elite institutions were set up to create a class based environment with children of the rich having access to better job opportunities than people from working class backgrounds.  many people who attend these universities are not more intelligent than people who attended so called new universities - i agree that attendance at an elite institution increases your chances of getting a better job however there is a down side to them, they encourage elitism and snobbery and many blacks who attend them lose touch with their identity and eventually become ashamed of their roots and identity.  i know quite a few nigerians who have attended these institutions and they are the most twisted messed up individuals you could ever meet. many are ashamed to be black and do not associate with their own people.  why would anyone in thier right mind send their child to a place where that child would eventually grow to look down on their own parents.

the problem with people like you is that you are gullible and brainwashed, i am explaining to you what its like to be in a hostile environment surrounded by whites who do not think you deserve to be where you are - this is out and out racism but people like you who remain eternally grateful for every crumb thrown to you by whites refuse to see and accept something which is staring you in the face.  

you say that you have been promoted over many white colleagues - can i ask what type of job you do, if it is a highly skilled job where blacks are few in number i would be inclined to doubt you.  however if you are indeed being honest then i salute you for being able to navigate the minefield that is british office poltics.   in all the years that  i have worked amongst british people i am yet to see a situation where a foreigner no matter how capable is promoted above their white colleagues.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Wallie(m): 2:29am On Feb 11, 2010
I don’t mean to call you out Cap28 but have you ever considered that there might be other factors involved in not keeping you on? Do you know that a new employee doing substantive work usually takes about 5 months or longer to get trained? Why would a profit seeking company squander 5 months of pay?

I find it difficult to understand how a business can justify terminating an employee that provides quality work in favor of another employee with unknown work ethic.

Could it be that your performance is not up to par? What kind of law do you practice? I ask because your writings/posts seems carefree and that’s just putting it politely. Could your posts provide a glimpse into your work product?

Like you, I went to college, grad school and law school here but I won’t delude myself saying some whites are not better than me. If you think you’re the best, what was your class rank in law school? Is it not conceivable that people who out-rank you in class will have a higher probability of getting the same job, if everything else was equal?

With regards to the racism issue, it is true that it still exists; however, black people are quick to point to racism even when they can’t compete based on merit. People claim to have college degrees, but how well did they do while in college? Is the degree of comparable standard with that of foreign institutions? Can they write a grammatically correct coherent substantive memo?

Blacks came along way and having an accent definitely compounds the problem. But an African that can compete with their white counterpart on every measurable merit will always find a befitting job even if some doors get slammed in his face due to racism.   

President Obama is a perfect example of racism not being able to hold a willing qualified Black person down.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by joxiri: 2:44am On Feb 11, 2010
@ cap28
there is definetly a lot of snobbery in the elite/russell group universities in the uk
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Devonian(m): 2:50am On Feb 11, 2010
@ cap28:
I came on here to let Pafun know that his over-generalisation is both twisted and superfluous. I don’t bluff, but strikes the nail right on its head. If you have problem with the way I framed my response that ostensibly displays your lack of detailed comprehension. To synthesize the main points again: (1) PAFUN was, in my opinion, wrong to deploy two gentlemen’s joblessness in inferring that hundreds of Nigerian men are in the same situation. So, I countered his assumption citing a few examples of human endeavours in which you’ll find hard working Nigerians; (2) returning to Naija isn’t the only solution as he was inclined to want to make us believe. Why not? Nigeria is grossly unsafe: armed robberies and extra-judicial killings, to mention just two examples, abound. Besides, the wages in a number of sectors isn’t what it should be. So, I cited my own example of unwillingness to relocate assuming I lost my job. And, I need not resort to “bowing and scraping to [my] white employers so that [am] not singled out for redundancy” as I had no reason to do so in the last 10 years.

On racism, discrimination and pupils’ disrespectfulness: Yes, I know there are guys who experience these irrespective of how good they may be. But, is there no tribalism, discrimination, prejudice and in fact, in schools and campuses infested with cultism, do teachers and lecturers still have the respect they used to have years ago? Still on disrespectfulness in the UK contexts, you don’t need to be a social researcher to know that what children do in this society is an antithesis of what their counterparts do in Nigeria. Years ago I called my professors John, Mark, Bob. In Nigeria, even the guy who in my first year in the university was in his final year, but came back after his NYSC to take up Assistant Lecturer job insisted we stopped calling him by his first name, which we were calling him only some 12-15 months earlier. The point ‘am making is this: what school kids do to their teachers (which some African teachers frown at) is no worse than what they do to their parents/guardians. Saying these, I know my onions, excellent at what I do, have a track record in my field, and as a sequel to these, I haven’t, in the last 10 years, witnessed discrimination and prejudice. Again, you’re threading the same footpath as Pafun by claiming, ‘I can guarantee you that that unilag lecturer is treated with more respect by his pupils and colleagues than you could ever dream of being treated.’ What a statement utterly borne out of ignorance and unempirical generalisation.

On unemployment rate: Thanks goodness you know the unemployment rate in the UK. For me, dealing with the known is far better than dealing with the unknown. Given that Pafun advocates that jobless Nigerian men should return home (not considering family ties in the UK, e.g. children in schools, colleges and universities, etc, etc) can you tell us what the statistics is for unemployment in Nigeria. This enables any would be returnee to know what to face up to when they arrived the shores of Nigeria. Since you linked unemployment rate amongst black people with discrimination (which I’ll not dispute), it seem plausible to ask whether or not Nigerians, irrespective of their qualifications don’t face and daily live with discrimination, even in their fatherland.

On property market: I said, “A friend of my living in Manchester lost his job in the banking industry at the peak of the financial meltdown, and hasn’t been “working” in the last 14 months. Of course, he had put to excellent use, his years of service with the bank by building a portfolio of buy-to-let properties.” Did you read or just gloss over my response. “He had put to excellent use, his years of service with the bank by building a portfolio of buy-to-let properties” meant that he bought these houses long before the crash. Investigate the national average for UK home between 2003 and 2006 and verify whether or not anyone who bought buy-to-let property during this period is likely to be running at a loss as I write. Even if you sensibly buy a property in 2007, you should be fine.

On the rationale for teaching
being helping young people acheive (sic) their potential. Yes, that’s the rhetoric used in Nigeria for decades and decades until the publicly funded educational system collapsed. Helping young people achieve their (let me add, FULL) potentials. Yes! That’s precisely what I do. But my reward is not in heaven, just before you say that. And, on being a teacher and not a neurosurgeon. Yes, we teachers ostentatiously “make” not only the neurosurgeons, but also the astronauts, engineers, and other professionals, and they’re always, more than grateful to us for making them what and who they’re.

On pontificating from ivory tower: I wasn’t and wouldn’t, really. Albeit, whilst I didn’t, in my response, claim any “extraordinary genius and talent”, except you’re attributing that to me, which I very much welcome (that’s precisely how my students, colleagues and headmaster describes me), the idea of coming “up with ways as to how we can save our country” isn’t the matter at the heart of this particular thread. Millions of Nigerians hold divergent opinions on the subject. Many have expressed their opinions on other threads on this website, and so have I. However, this takes me to my final comment. The issues and questions you raised derail this discourse. How does where I specifically teach (which is none of your business, because if you were so keen on its verification, you should have implicitly declared yours, if you like stating the address, phone and fax numbers) detract from the fact that the vast majority of Nigerians are gainfully employed in professions ranging from teaching to Neurosurgeons?

And, by the way, why won’t you heed Pafun’s clarion call by resigning your job so you don’t have to be “bowing and scraping  to your white employers so that you are not singled out for redundancy (as black staff are usually the last in and first out) as the cleaning jobs are now being snapped up by young white graduates who can’t find work,” get a ticket, and return to Naija where you can “you use your extraordinary genius and talent to come up with ways as to how we can save our country.” May be when you have saved Nigeria, the rest of us can return to Nigeria.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ladej(m): 4:32am On Feb 11, 2010
This is one of the most interesting threads i have read which has unfortunately digressed from 'are there jobs in UK' to UK or Nigeria, 'which is better'. first things first we as humans tend to generalise where we need to be specific. specific situations shouldnt be used as a yard stick of the norm. another thing to note is that we are all different and not everyone has the 4 Ds to survive. determination, drive, desire and dedication. in essence what i mean is that in any situation you are in whether UK or naija you need those four things with prayer to succeed and indeed rascism tribalism and all the other isms are there, whether we like it or not. while it is good to use people like Obama as examples the truth is that the Obama story is a singular and specific one and not the norm, just like George Bush's intelligence cannot be the yard stick for the average white.

Pafun and cap28 have made very good contributions but it is worthy to note that their contributions are borne from the experiences they have faced and the experiences of people closest to them. these experiences will make them stronger and instead of bashing anyone's opinions we should strive to learn from them. if you havent experienced racism does that mean racism doesnt exist? you could be lucky or even worse, not seen as a threat for promotion so no one bothers with being funny towards you. i conclude by saying that one should put God first, embrace the opportunities that present themselves and be good at all times.UK is not for everyone. i repeat UK is not for everyone. if you cant hack it and have a realistic opportunity in the land of your birth by all means go. if staying here is your forte and you are PROGRESSING and not stagnant then stay, but by all means admit it to yourself that here isnt paradise. some people here made a few demeaning remarks about Pafun's business, which is poultry. this is wrong. we need more poultry, meat, fish owners and build up the agricultural base we abandoned when we struck oil. a nation that cannot feed itself is a nation in disarray and perpetual stagnancy. i will always have time for people in agriculture.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cvibe: 4:58am On Feb 11, 2010
@ pafun,

I'm rather interested in the solutions or assistance you offered your friends otherwise, I'd see you as the typical "friends who talk behind your back".
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tbaba83(m): 5:08am On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by AjanleKoko: 8:20am On Feb 11, 2010
It's a good thing you guys are all online. At least nobody fit burst bottle grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 11, 2010
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by silentc(m): 9:07am On Feb 11, 2010
cap28:

well lucky you, i on the other hand experience it quite frequently, i have a degree in law plus over 5 years work experience in various areas of law and i compete for jobs in a fast shrinking job market with many whites who have less experience but who are offered the best jobs over and above blacks who are better qualified.  white south africans, new zealanders and australians (despite not having long term work permits) are all offered the best jobs over black british people (and im not talking black people with resident permits but blacks who were born in this country like myself) if a british citizen who was born in this country is being discriminated against simply because of the colour of their skin then you know that there is no hope for blacks in this country.

Cap28, I feel your pain. It is sad to know that this is your situation. I cannot deny that from what you have highlighted above you are being passed over and discriminated against. I would say keep on trying, look for a different firm,  dont let it dampen your spirits or look for options back in Nigeria (as you are already doing).
Another thing to mention is that it seems you are a lawyer, and most British people want to be represented by their "own kind" and as such find it easier to hire or request a white lawyer. Hence why your firm is keen on keeping the whites and not pushing you further.

Racism exists everywhere and we have to fight it to carry on. In Nigeria we would encounter tribalism and we too have to fight that as well. There is always some form of hurdle in life, we just have to find a way to fight it to achieve our goals.

Nigeria's problem is corruption and this is endemic in the society. Even if you come with positive changes, people will push and fight against you as you are not corrupt etc. Change has to come from the bottom up and from the top down. Our government arent leading a good example and the task of changing the government and mindset is a major task that means removing almost everyone in power and pushing down policies that are not based on "my pocket" but "good of the society".

A mammoth task which I am personally happy to be part of for my country I love.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 12:04pm On Feb 11, 2010
For those who have again continued to sing the tune - let nigeria get better if they want us to come back , it is quite obvious that you possess basic cognitive skills and you deserve whatever has happened to bring you to this sorry pass and the eventual outcome of you misguided adventure . If you are doing well wherever you are for God's sake stay there . Nigeria has enough problems and could do without more negative thinkers especially those who also excel at buffoonery. But if your condition has turned out to be even more pathetic than it was before you left Nigeria and you are joining all other clowns in that sing song , then you definitely are the greatest Arrow in the world and you will do well to find a circus to take you with them on exhibition.

No country owes anyone a living. Nigeria does not owe you or me a living - we must make a living individually by ourselves in the way we find fit. We all have different skills and aptitude and must find our level wherever we are. The only thing that Nigeria owes all of us is an "environment" which we must assist to create because this environment includes every one of us living in the country.

UK also owes none of you a living .Heck even the citizens are not under such idiotic impression .If you are there under the premises that "they assisted the politicians to steal our money and we are here to get it back and spend it' , I hope they send you to prison before they finally kick you out for good like the vermin you are.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by silentc(m): 12:11pm On Feb 11, 2010
pafun:

For those who have again continued to sing the tune - let nigeria get better if they want us to come back , it is quite obvious that you possess basic cognitive skills and you deserve whatever has happened to bring you to this sorry pass and the eventual outcome of you misguided adventure . If you are doing well wherever you are for God's sake stay there . Nigeria has enough problems and could do without more negative thinkers especially those who  also excel at buffoonery. But if your condition has turned out to be even more pathetic than it was before you left Nigeria and you are joining all other clowns in that sing song , then you definitely are the greatest Arrow in the world and you will do well to find a circus to take you with them on exhibition.

No country owes anyone a living. Nigeria does not owe you or me a living - we must make a living individually by ourselves in the way we find fit. We all have different skills and aptitude and must find our level wherever we are. The only thing that Nigeria owes all of us is an "environment" which we must assist to create because this environment includes every one of us living in the country.

UK also owes none of you a living .Heck even the citizens are not under such idiotic impression .If you are there under the premises that "they assisted the politicians to steal our money and we are here to get it back and spend it' , I hope they send you to prison before they finally kick you out for good like the vermin you are.

Pafun, your tone and choice of words are not necessary in any way (highlighted in black above). You can make a point without using words that are abusive. You are entitled to your opinions in a free and open forum without being abusive. This is a debate, not a slanging match. If anyone else has abused you, I would suggest you be the bigger man and ignore it.

Your point of view will be lost to who ever is reading your opinions as it comes shrouded in a bed of insults.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 12:21pm On Feb 11, 2010
silentc:

Pafun, your tone and choice of words are not necessary in any way (highlighted in black above). You can make a point without using words that are abusive. You are entitled to your opinions in a free and open forum without being abusive. This is a debate, not a slanging match. If anyone else has abused you, I would suggest you be the bigger man and ignore it.

Your point of view will be lost to who ever is reading your opinions as it comes shrouded in a bed of insults.

OK sorry mate. God bless you all of you [f**kers] wink
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 2:51pm On Feb 11, 2010
Wallie:

I don’t mean to call you out Cap28 but have you ever considered that there might be other factors involved in not keeping you on? Do you know that a new employee doing substantive work usually takes about 5 months or longer to get trained? Why would a profit seeking company squander 5 months of pay?

Wallie let me repeat the statement that i made in my earlier post - I HAVE OVER FIVE YEARS PRACTICAL LEGAL EXPERIENCE -

I am not some greehorn fresh out of law school okay - please learn to read and understand sentences before you respond.

the organisation that i currently work for invested nothing in training me , as a matter of fact i came in with useful experience which they benefited from as i was responsible for training  other junior members of the team.

I find it difficult to understand how a business can justify terminating an employee that provides quality work in favor of another employee with unknown work ethic.

can't you? then you obviously havent heard of the phrase  workplace discrimination.

do you work in an office or are you still serving burgers and fries in mcdonalds?

Could it be that your performance is not up to par? What kind of law do you practice? I ask because your writings/posts seems carefree and that’s just putting it politely. Could your posts provide a glimpse into your work product?

nice try - trust me if i couldnt do the job, i would never have been given the opportunity to get anywhere near a govt organisation let alone obtain over 5 years experience in areas ranging from commercial property, town planning and commercial contracts.  Wallie i know what your problem is its what nigeria's succinctly refer to as "bad belle" people like you hate to see others doing better than them and like crabs in a barrel love nothing better than to tear others down. 

you state that my writings and posts are carefree - you've completely lost me there as i have no idea what you are wittering on about, perhaps you are wondering why i do not express myself using bogus, unintelligible phrases and employing the use of ungrammatical english in order to impress the likes of you.  i dont know what sort of law school you attended but my tutors always impressed upon on us the need for succinctness and brevity.  i understand that many nigerians love nothing better than expressing themselves using impenetrable legalese which serves no useful purpose other than to confuse and distort the true meaning of what they are trying to get across to their audience.

Like you, I went to college, grad school and law school here but I won’t delude myself saying some whites are not better than me. If you think you’re the best, what was your class rank in law school? Is it not conceivable that people who out-rank you in class will have a higher probability of getting the same job, if everything else was equal?

i think it is unbelievably presumptuous of you to make the above statement, you know nothing about me and for all you know i may have acquired my entire education in nigeria. 

just because you have low self esteem and automatically assume that whites are more intelligent than yourself does not mean that i should adopt the same philosophy.  I speak from first hand experience - many nigerians are just as good if not more capable than their white counterparts irrespective of where they study , the american educational system is known for being second rate havent you heard that 40 million US citizens are functional illiterates who can't read or write above fourth grade level?

http://www.bluemassgroup.com/diary/18679/michael-moore-on-citizens-united

With regards to the racism issue, it is true that it still exists; however, black people are quick to point to racism even when they can’t compete based on merit. People claim to have college degrees, but how well did they do while in college? Is the degree of comparable standard with that of foreign institutions? Can they write a grammatically correct coherent substantive memo?

why does reading this sound as if its coming out of the mouth of some bigoted red neck from Texas and not a full grown nigerian man who should know better.  please see my comments above about the american educational system. 
you are so hung up on this belief that white is always right  that you can't see the wood for the trees.  Did your country (america) not have a grade C president who ignorantly bragged about his mediocrity?

Blacks came along way and having an accent definitely compounds the problem. But an African that can compete with their white counterpart on every measurable merit will always find a befitting job even if some doors get slammed in his face due to racism.

now i know for sure that you feel inferior to whites, whats wrong with having an accent, does arnold schwarzennegger not have an accent - did that derail his political career?
as long as you speak grammatical and intelligible english why should having an accent be a hindrance. Listen pal your arguments are pathetic and they dont stack up - the issue is not about accent - its about race okay, if accents havent hindered the success of eastern europeans, japanese and chinese people why should they hinder blacks. 

President Obama is a perfect example of racism not being able to hold a willing qualified Black person down.

there you go again getting all delusional on me.  Obama is not your run of the mill black person - first of all he did not have the kind of upbringing that many blacks in america have, he was raised mainly by whites and therefore inculcated a white perspective and outlook, he also attended elite institutions  from primary level right up to post graduate level.  do you know of many blacks who have this sort of background?  it was no coincidence that he was groomed and selected for the position that he currently occupies.  do you think some ordinary black guy who attended state funded institutions would ever get anywhere near a senate seat let alone the presidency.  Not only was Obama's academic and personal background crucial to his selection but even the way he looked - whites like blacks who are not too black (if you catch my drift) i suggest you google alan keyes another aspiring black candidate who was deemed unsuitable by the powers that be for the simple reason that he came across as too african american in appearance.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by noniwealth(f): 3:50pm On Feb 11, 2010
This is what i say on one of pafuns thread "UGLYBRITAIN it was posted by LUCABRASIalready a 3 bedroom house in london is cheaper than a 3 bedroom house in agege and you defending uk
and the prices are still sliding down,even wema bank,union bank,gt e.t.c are stronger financially than northern rock,halifax,royal bank of scotland
and the nigerian stock exchange is doing miles better than the london stockwhich has gone belly up
on a last note you are safer in oshodi,isale eko,ajegunle at 12 midnite than hackney o, be warned even the labour mp said she wouldnt try it herself smart woman
My question is where are these banks now and talking bout the shares hmmm 9ja make u no qeunch and be wiped out oh cos the rate of deterioration in 9ja can be very funny grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 4:39pm On Feb 11, 2010
noniwealth:

This is what i say on one of pafuns thread "UGLYBRITAIN it was posted by LUCABRASIalready a 3 bedroom house in london is cheaper than a 3 bedroom house in agege and you defending uk
and the prices are still sliding down,even wema bank,union bank,gt e.t.c are stronger financially than northern rock,halifax,royal bank of scotland
and the nigerian stock exchange is doing miles better than the london stockwhich has gone belly up
on a last note you are safer in oshodi,isale eko,ajegunle at 12 midnite than hackney o, be warned even the labour mp said she wouldnt try it herself smart woman
My question is where are these banks now and talking bout the shares hmmm 9ja make u no qeunch and be wiped out oh cos the rate of deterioration in 9ja can be very funny grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cau: 7:25pm On Feb 11, 2010
I strongly believe that everyone has his or her own reason in choosing anywhere he or she wants to leave.
Come to think of it, the level or ethnicity,tribalism and nepotism in Nigeria is even worst than racism experienced in Europe
An amanbra man or woman can never be made a principal in an enugu state school. This thing is obvious and glaring for all to see
and yet we talk about racism all the time.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Wallie(m): 3:57am On Feb 12, 2010
cap28:

Wallie let me repeat the statement that i made in my earlier post - I HAVE OVER FIVE YEARS PRACTICAL LEGAL EXPERIENCE -

I am not some greehorn fresh out of law school okay - please learn to read and understand sentences before you respond.

Understood. You have five years of legal experience but doing what exactly? Was your 5-year experience directly related to what you were hired for? It is possible to have years of experience as a paralegal (legal secretary) but that experience doesn't necessary mean you will have the wherewithal to fly solo.

cap28:

the organisation that i currently work for invested nothing in training me , as a matter of fact i came in with useful experience which they benefited from as i was responsible for training  other junior members of the team.

Interesting. Every job is unique with its own peculiarity and nuances. I sure would hope that you would have some sort of experience that will benefit them.

cap28:

can't you? then you obviously havent heard of the phrase  workplace discrimination.

do you work in an office or are you still serving burgers and fries in mcdonalds?

I’ve never served burger and fries but I’ve worked as a cashier once, thanks for asking!

cap28:

nice try - trust me if i couldnt do the job, i would never have been given the opportunity to get anywhere near a govt organisation let alone obtain over 5 years experience in areas ranging from commercial property, town planning and commercial contracts.  Wallie i know what your problem is its what nigeria's succinctly refer to as "bad belle" people like you hate to see others doing better than them and like crabs in a barrel love nothing better than to tear others down. 

Quite contrary Cap28; It is possible to get hired on a padded resume and getting fired later on for not meeting the “requirements” of the job. The five years of experience you keep referring to, was that from doing substantive work or doing document review? How many contracts have you actually written on your own?

The only bad belle I have was from eating asaro earlier. Without bragging, it is kind of hard for me to pull people down because it is kinda lonely up here. I have nothing against you Cap28, I don’t even know you; all I’m saying is that blaming others for your inadequacies will not get you far in life.

cap28:

you state that my writings and posts are carefree - you've completely lost me there as i have no idea what you are wittering on about, perhaps you are wondering why i do not express myself using bogus, unintelligible phrases and employing the use of ungrammatical english in order to impress the likes of you.  i dont know what sort of law school you attended but my tutors always impressed upon on us the need for succinctness and brevity.  i understand that many nigerians love nothing better than expressing themselves using impenetrable legalese which serves no useful purpose other than to confuse and distort the true meaning of what they are trying to get across to their audience.

I take this as a compliment! Unlike the British, Americans don’t use big words to communicate. I guess I must still have some Naija education left in me. I feel you on the legalese stuff though, I sometimes write to confuse the other party when the facts or the law are not on my side☺

cap28:

i think it is unbelievably presumptuous of you to make the above statement, you know nothing about me and for all you know i may have acquired my entire education in nigeria. 

There’s nothing wrong in acquiring your education in Nigeria. I went to school with some Nigerians that were already admitted to the Nigerian Bar but came to my school for their LLM and/or JD.

cap28:

just because you have low self esteem and automatically assume that whites are more intelligent than yourself does not mean that i should adopt the same philosophy.  I speak from first hand experience - many nigerians are just as good if not more capable than their white counterparts irrespective of where they study , the american educational system is known for being second rate havent you heard that 40 million US citizens are functional illiterates who can't read or write above fourth grade level?

http://www.bluemassgroup.com/diary/18679/michael-moore-on-citizens-united

Low self esteem? I guess you can call it that, as long as it means not deluding myself. Why is it hard for you to accept that some people are better than you and that they may be white? If you are as intelligent as you claim, you won’t be crying racism. The whites should be the ones complaining of being legally exploited by an African.

cap28:

why does reading this sound as if its coming out of the mouth of some bigoted red neck from Texas and not a full grown nigerian man who should know better.  please see my comments above about the american educational system. 
you are so hung up on this belief that white is always right  that you can't see the wood for the trees.  Did your country (america) not have a grade C president who ignorantly bragged about his mediocrity?

Could the American educational system be better? Sure. But that doesn’t mean it is not one of the best in the world. Below are the list of the top 200 universities in the world and the list of Nobel price winners by country. Do you have any other measuring stick?

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2009/10/20/worlds-best-universities-top-200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_country

cap28:

now i know for sure that you feel inferior to whites, whats wrong with having an accent, does arnold schwarzennegger not have an accent - did that derail his political career?
as long as you speak grammatical and intelligible english why should having an accent be a hindrance. Listen pal your arguments are pathetic and they dont stack up - the issue is not about accent - its about race okay, if accents havent hindered the success of eastern europeans, japanese and chinese people why should they hinder blacks. 

Hmm, Arnold must be a regular Joe Blow to have an accent and control the 7th largest economy in the world. I guess being a movie star had nothing to do with it. There’s not wrong in having an accent that is comprehensible. My reference to “accent” was to point out that it could be a hindrance if you speak English like ara oke and you’re trying to communicate with a client that’s billed $600 per hour.

cap28:

there you go again getting all delusional on me.  Obama is not your run of the mill black person - first of all he did not have the kind of upbringing that many blacks in america have, he was raised mainly by whites and therefore inculcated a white perspective and outlook, he also attended elite institutions  from primary level right up to post graduate level.  do you know of many blacks who have this sort of background?  it was no coincidence that he was groomed and selected for the position that he currently occupies.  do you think some ordinary black guy who attended state funded institutions would ever get anywhere near a senate seat let alone the presidency.  Not only was Obama's academic and personal background crucial to his selection but even the way he looked - whites like blacks who are not too black (if you catch my drift) i suggest you google alan keyes another aspiring black candidate who was deemed unsuitable by the powers that be for the simple reason that he came across as too african american in appearance.

Obama groomed and selected? Ok. Alan Keyes, are you kidding me? I bet you are one of those that choose their candidates based on race?

Going to college is more than just about reading your books and getting good grades, it is about learning how to think independently based on information available to you.

I sincerely apologize for singling you out in a public forum and forcing you to defend yourself. My apologies!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by janykute: 8:12am On Feb 12, 2010
nairaland don turn to law court,this learned gentlemen sef.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 3:13pm On Feb 12, 2010
Wallie:

Understood. You have five years of legal experience but doing what exactly? Was your 5-year experience directly related to what you were hired for? It is possible to have years of experience as a paralegal (legal secretary) but that experience doesn't necessary mean you will have the wherewithal to fly solo.

Wallie you know something, your mentality and outlook reminds me of the way whites relate to  blacks when they feel that their privileged position in society is being threatened -  they refuse to accept or beleive that blacks  are capable of being anything other than the stereotypical image that their media portrays us to be - in your case, i think that you have been told time and time again that you are not up to scratch and dutifully you have given in to that beleif and assumed a position of inferiority which you have been  told is all that your kind merits. 

have you heard of social darwinism ?  well its a fake scientific theory that whites came up with in the early part of the 20th century to justify their subjugation and exploitation of black people - its premise was that blacks are inferior to whites intellectually therefore we have to treat them the way we do because it will elevate and  "civilise" them - wallie you are a victim of this school of thought, you have convinced yourself that whites are superior to you and unquestioningly you accept and imbibe every negative stereotype aimed at undermining and destroying your self confidence.  In order to cope with this racist treatment you project this same treatment outward onto your fellow blacks hence your unwillingness to believe that i could actually be capable of having the required experience for the job, i understand why you do this - you do it  in order to validate yourself and make yourself seem powerful in a white supremacist world where you are powerless.

im sorry to burst your bubble but yes i draft commercial contracts and i negotiate with blue chip clients - hope this won't give you sleepless nights lol grin grin

http://www.allaboutscience.org/what-is-social-darwinism-faq.htm

Interesting. Every job is unique with its own peculiarity and nuances. I sure would hope that you would have some sort of experience that will benefit them.

im so flattered that you think this because your opinion means the world to me!!!!!!!!

Quite contrary Cap28; It is possible to get hired on a padded resume and getting fired later on for not meeting the “requirements” of the job. The five years of experience you keep referring to, was that from doing substantive work or doing document review? How many contracts have you actually written on your own?

very true - but i dont need to pad out my own resume as my ability and track record speaks for itself, by the way most law firms and inhouse legal departments recruit by way of rigorous testing in order to determine knowledge of the law,  advocacy, drafting and research skills.  i can assure you that no employer will take the chance of employing you purely on face value without testing your ability.

The only bad belle I have was from eating asaro earlier. Without bragging, it is kind of hard for me to pull people down because it is kinda lonely up here. I have nothing against you Cap28, I don’t even know you; all I’m saying is that blaming others for your inadequacies will not get you far in life.

hmm - by "up here" i presume you mean cloud cuckoo land because thats the only place someone with your level of reasoning can realistically be - i have known numerous black people who are high acheivers who still acknowledge that the odds are weighted heavily against blacks in this profession, these are people who have made enough money not to bother with those who are still struggling and yet they speak out - whereas people like you who i suspect are one pay check away from poverty deceive themselves into thinking they are at the top of their game.

http://www.kalmagazine.com/features/?story=yes&id=50

I take this as a compliment! Unlike the British, Americans don’t use big words to communicate. I guess I must still have some Naija education left in me. I feel you on the legalese stuff though, I sometimes write to confuse the other party when the facts or the law are not on my side☺

well you shouldnt as no  competent lawyer worthy of his fee would ever admit that they use legalese to "confuse" the other party - im beginning to gain some insight into your level of competence. 

Low self esteem? I guess you can call it that, as long as it means not deluding myself. Why is it hard for you to accept that some people are better than you and that they may be white? If you are as intelligent as you claim, you won’t be crying racism. The whites should be the ones complaining of being legally exploited by an African.

i dont have a problem accepting that some people are better at the job than i am, but i do have a problem accepting that someone who did not attend a law school in the uk and had no previous uk practical experience be given the opportunity to learn on the job, the option to leave and return to that same job if they so desire and be given unlimited opportunities for promotion and career advancement where these same options were not offered to a black lawyer who trained and qualified in the UK.

Could the American educational system be better? Sure. But that doesn’t mean it is not one of the best in the world. Below are the list of the top 200 universities in the world and the list of Nobel price winners by country. Do you have any other measuring stick?

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2009/10/20/worlds-best-universities-top-200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_country

im actually glad that you listed these universites - one thing you should ask yourself is this - how many ordinary people can afford to attend those institutions?

i dont know what obtains in the us but im pretty sure its similar to here but 80% of oxbridge graduates come from wealthy and affluent families, many of whom go on to run major corporations or participate at high levels within politics.

what you have failed to understand is that elite institutions maintain and consolidate a class system, which ensures that only the rich get to run and control the lives of the rest of us.  why is it that most major corporations wont look at your cv if you didnt attend a so called elite instititution, could it be because they want to ensure that certain people perhaps from the wrong side of the tracks are never allowed into their elitist club?

Obama groomed and selected? Ok. Alan Keyes, are you kidding me? I bet you are one of those that choose their candidates based on race?

Going to college is more than just about reading your books and getting good grades, it is about learning how to think independently based on information available to you.

I sincerely apologize for singling you out in a public forum and forcing you to defend yourself. My apologies!

are you under the misapprehension that race is  not at the forefront of peoples minds when selecting a candidate - especially a presidential candidate?  how come obama could not win by a landslide, and why did he not win in any of the southern states - you make me laugh
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 3:30pm On Feb 12, 2010
Wallie:

one other thing - you are right, going to college isnt just about reading books etc however you demonstrate an astounding lack of original or independent thought for someone who subscribes to this view, all of your responses have been full of banal observations and regurgitated rubbish which has robbed you of the ability to think critically, if you could only stop watching cnn, fox and sky news maybe you might be able to learn something.

by the way you did not force me to do anything, i chose to respond to you in order to burst your little bubble and open your eyes to the real world.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 3:46pm On Feb 12, 2010
janykute:

nairaland don turn to law court,this learned gentlemen sef.

I totally agree with you, lol grin grin grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by baslone: 5:24pm On Feb 12, 2010
cap28:

, if you could only stop watching cnn, fox and sky news maybe you might be able to learn something.

cap28:

open your eyes to the real world. 

WORD!!!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ogajim(m): 7:42pm On Feb 12, 2010
I don't know what to say, I visit UK and "see some things that makes me go hhhhmmmmm"

Some of those guys are really living off their wives and might be lazy to some extent because 2 years of no employment is enough to train for a whole new career.

There is some truth to both sides is my two cents (free) on this.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 8:26pm On Feb 12, 2010
@cap28
My last year working in UK and in the City was in an office where I was the only black person. The Nigerian cleaners who came to do their work after dusk always regarded me with amazement as I had this habit of working late most days - like what the hell is a Nigerian doing here ?. From my colleagues at work , most of whom have been in the firm more than 10 years all I could feel was resentment everyday , and if I wasn't so good at what I did I am sure wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks. I guess this was one of the reasons that made me finally return home - the realisation that these arseholes would never take me as their equal even though every day I proved myself better than them in every way. This is England - very unpredictable, very treacherous.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 9:08pm On Feb 12, 2010
ogajim:

I don't know what to say, I visit UK and "see some things that makes me go hhhhmmmmm"

Some of those guys are really living off their wives and might be lazy [/b]to some extent because 2 years of no employment is enough to train for a whole new career.

There is some truth to both sides is my two cents (free) on this.

You got the words out of my mouth "[b]LAZINESS
" that is the term. Did I mention "PRIDE" as well? They are lucky they are married to women who accommodate them, else someone would have started a job at Pizza Hut, lol
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by manny4life(m): 9:12pm On Feb 12, 2010
pafun:

@cap28
My last year working in UK and in the City was in an office where I was the only black person. The Nigerian cleaners who came to do their work after dusk always regarded me with amazement as I had this habit of working late most days - like what the hell is a Nigerian doing here ?. From my colleagues at work , most of whom have been in the firm more than 10 years all I could feel was resentment everyday , and if I wasn't so good at what I did I am sure wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks. I guess this was one of the reasons that made me finally return home - the realisation that these arseholes would never take me as their equal even though every day I proved myself better than them in every way. This is England - very unpredictable, very treacherous.

No offense, I'm confused I'm certainly not getting where your resentment came from. I mean was it from the Nigerian cleaners, or your co-workers whom you worked with for abt 10 years?
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 9:32pm On Feb 12, 2010
manny4life:

No offense, I'm confused I'm certainly not getting where your resentment came from. I mean was it from the Nigerian cleaners, or your co-workers whom you worked with for abt 10 years?

No I only worked in that particular office for 18 months. The resentment was from my oyinbo co-workers . Most of the Nigerian cleaners were simply ashamed to be seen doing this work.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 9:36pm On Feb 12, 2010
Not that I cared what anyone did for a living though as long as your bills got paid. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The 419 Company Needed A Female Donkey / Screenshots Of My Conversation With A Chinese Recruiter Lol / Searching for a job? Click here to get free CV templates, interview tips etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.