Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Are There Jobs In Uk ? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are There Jobs In Uk ? (24792 Views)

2016 CHEVENING MSC SCHOLARSHIPS IN UK UNIVERSITIES / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) / Any Jobs In Oil/Gas Sector? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tkb417(m): 2:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
OK wrong calculation - you will be paying 5000 pounds a year for a ratty room in London while you can pay 1000 for a whole house in Abeokuta. Now i am convinced that most of the ppl who hang out on Nairaland went to Koranic school (Ile kewu)
All I have been reading for the past day in this thread is Laila illala Laila illala UK illala UK illala Laila illala Laila illala

Can you not read and understand simple English ? I don't even know how some of you ever managed to get to UK. Abi na Ori olori you carry ?
My last post here.

lmao!
1,000GBP for a house in Abeokuta
na lie o grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by skyone(m): 2:50pm On Feb 10, 2010
@Mr Pafun

Have you had about thousands of Nigerians that earn 1000pounds a day, 800 pounds a day etc  undecided
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 3:05pm On Feb 10, 2010
justwise:

@cap28
Said:

the truth of the matter is that we cant have it both ways - its either we make sacrifices and go back and try to change things thereby taking control of our own destinies or we remain here and live like slaves.  Yes slaves,  all black people no matter how much money they have are living as slaves in the western world - we are the least respected race of people in the diaspora, there is a pecking order of racial superiority here in the west and i can tell you that blacks irrespective of their so called acheivements and education are always placed at the bottom.  what is the solution? the solution from where im standing is to see things from a long term perspective ie how do we improve things for our children and our grand children, i can tell you that it is not by remaining here in a country that despises and disrespects us.

Your view is old fashioned, outdated and dam right out of order. Do you u know what slave means?
If you saw yourself as a slave here why are u still here?

okay why dont you tell me why my view is outdated and out of order - yes i do know what slave means but im not sure you do  hence your desire to live in a state of blissful ignorance.

a slave is a person who has no rights and whose every move is dictated to by another - in other words a person who is completely under the domination and influence of some other person or persons.  now do something for me that you may not be used to doing - think!!!!

are blacks in the west not under the total domination, influence and control of whites??

do you know of any prominent  black person who got to where they are in western society on their own terms without sacrificing their integrity, dignity and in many cases humanity?

the problem with our people is that we live in a state of perpetual denial - we see something for what it is but we lie to ourselves that it cant be so, in my view the more you refuse to accept a situation for what it is the worse it becomes.  

the poster of this thread has received so much abuse and insults because he dared point out something which is glaringly obvious. many posters on here think that just because you as an individual are able to get an "office" job and work amongst oyibos that means you have arrived - that is so pathetic - why dont you ask yourself why they agreed to hire you in the first place?  i hate to break it to you but most whites think blacks are incompetent - this is not because we are actually incompetent but because whites are racist and have an overriding need to always see themselves as superior to blacks, therefore no matter how good you are - they find a chink in your armour or they create one all because they need to convince themselves that they are superior to you.

many nigerians posting on here are delusional they dont understand that one person getting a good job means nothing if the vast majority of your people are living in squalor and poverty - the pride of any nation is when you are collectively respected as a group - look at the chinese and japanese - wherever they go in the world they are respected because the world knows that their country is powerful and has been able to provide for its people.  look at nigerians - wherever we go we are humiliated, disrespected and discriminated against - therefore this argument that a few people have so called fantastic jobs is neither here nor there because in the end a people are judged collectively and not on an individual basis.

i dont know how my views can be old fashioned when all im stating is something which is so obvious - the coming together of our people in order to create our own nation which will be respected and envied by these same whites who dont want you in their country.

some people on here are talking about how we dont have proper infrastructure etc how do you think the people in these countries that you are in got their own infrastructure - do you think that they abandoned their countries for "greener pastures" until such a time that the infrastructure had been built after which they decided to return home to enjoy it?

noone will build up your country and make it conducive only you can do that yourself - the whites (together with black slave labour) built up america, canada, australia, new zealand and parts of africa that they intended on settling in themselves, the men of those countries didnt run away to hostile foreign lands hoping that things would change, they took control (albeit by using force and violence) of their own destiny.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by kcibe: 3:37pm On Feb 10, 2010
@pafun, please lets talk on my email, kchibex2002@yahoo.com.
I live in America,there are jobs and there are people who lost job.I am not a strong advocate of 'leave for abroad' but i strongly believe you 'got to go' when you are earning a peanut in Niger.however ,if you have a good job in Nigeria, u don't need to leave.A situation where a graduate earns less than 50k is slavery harsher than odd jobs in advanced economy.Many Nigerians who are desperate to leave those not know what it takes to get a work permit.To balance this issue:
1 DO YOU HAVE A GOOD JOB IN NIGERIA, IF YES ;DON'T GO
2WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY ABOUT GIVING CASH TO OTHER, IF U GIVE EASILY; DON'T GO.[U MIGHT NOT HAVE A LEFT OVER]
let me stop here.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by baslone: 3:54pm On Feb 10, 2010
zeedee:

There are jobs in the UK even for Nigerians but the FACT is that at least 70% of our Nigerians out there AREN'T working at jobs they would be proud of telling their mates about.

cap28:

-the few that do exist are certainly not being given to foreigners  therefore the situation that your friends have found themselves is going to increasingly become the norm amongst many nigerians particularly the ones doing jobs which do not require a high level of skill or expertise.

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y !!!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by lolupee(m): 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2010
Cap, you made some very good points- a person making monry means nothing if a vast majority of his people are not'.
But in your later analysis you also made some ignorant and uninformed statements- I dont mean to be rude sorry, its just that you went off key, very unconnected to the subject at hand.
The guy who started the discussiong just wanted to know if a Naija person could get a good job in UK! Simple.
Leave other issues like racism out of it.
Do you live in the UK? what are you bitter about? Get up and take action.
Did you watch Wole Soyinka on CNN last night? If you did then you'll understand some people decide to remain in the UK, have a good job, earn honest money, dont steal from nobody, live with the racism, and still thank God to be hear.

Simple.

I'm waiting for your reply.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 4:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
@Cap

slave is a person who has no rights and whose every move is dictated to by another - in other words a person who is completely under the domination and influence of some other person or persons. now do something for me that you may not be used to doing - think!!!!
are blacks in the west not under the total domination, influence and control of whites??
do you know of any prominent black person who got to where they are in western society on their own terms without sacrificing their integrity, dignity and in many cases humanity?

Going by your defination of slavery, nobody forced u to come to the uk, when u came here and don't like it you are free to book the next avaiable flight and go back. If u are lucky to get a job, u are free to resign anyday and go. There is no restriction of movement here, even an asylum seeker here have right to air his/her view. What do you call slavery? Were u forced t do any job u don't like here? Slavery is in your thinking, you blamed slavery for your short comings, you blame white for our govert short comings, when will people like you wake up and do something about yourself esteem? illegally immigrants are even paid to leave but many refused. We can't never more forward in life IF we keep blaming others for our short comings
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 5:14pm On Feb 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Na wa o!

'Are there jobs in the UK' don turn to another 'which is better, Nigeria or UK?' thread!
Are you guys not tired of this?
I actually thought you guys wanted to discuss the UK job market, and provide useful information for whoever might be interested.
Nigerians' matter no dey ever simple sha. Small wonder the nation is always in crisis.

I wonder o !
Don't you know UK is the place where jobless Nigerians now go to be recruited and trained by AlQueda to bomb American planes. With [UK-dwelling]  people like you have on Nairaland  so ferociously defending their own foolishness no wonder America thinks we are all mindless terrorists.  grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by seyenko(m): 5:34pm On Feb 10, 2010
@ jjay1, jaybee and newbride - i can see that you are insulting me because i made a honest contribution

Let me make things clear to you - l schooled, lived and worked in England and Scotland for 7 years before i decided it was time to go back to Nigeria because i was tried of contracting - today i am in Scotland during software testing for 3 months tomorrow i am in reading during XP roll out for 3 weeks for another company etc I worked and drove up and down the country all the years i spent in UK. i didn't even have a life, i promised myself to visit the park just 5 minutes walk from my house but i never had time for 7 years. It was the day i finally packed my load and abandoned my car in heathrow long stay car park i realized i never went to the park to relax.

At times i spend up to 8 hours driving to and fro my work place. I couldn't move house because i was temping every where, every time i looked for a permanent job or a temp to permanent job i was told i don't have a permanent stay.

But i see a lot of Nigerians degrading themselves doing menial jobs - jobs that a primary school leaver in Nigeria does yet this people are seasoned professionals. I didnt have a job all the time but when i didnt i did not join the band wagon washing toilet and carrying dust bin for london borough.

Therefore i will not quantify the washing of toilet and doing security a decent job, what i cannot do in Nigeria i cannot do in UK. I did not regret leaving UK, infact i havent visited uk for the past 4 years now because i did not miss anything and i am well established back here in Nigeria.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 5:35pm On Feb 10, 2010
lolupee:

Cap, you made some very good points- a person making monry means nothing if a vast majority of his people are not'.
But in your later analysis you also made some ignorant and uninformed statements- I dont mean to be rude sorry, its just that you went off key, very unconnected to the subject at hand.
The guy who started the discussiong just wanted to know if a Naija person could get a good job in UK! Simple.
Leave other issues like racism out of it.
Do you live in the UK? what are you bitter about? Get up and take action.
Did you watch Wole Soyinka on CNN last night? If you did then you'll understand some people decide to remain in the UK, have a good job, earn honest money, dont steal from nobody, live with the racism, and still thank God to be hear.

Simple.

I'm waiting for your reply.

@lolupee - can you tell me why racism is not relevant to the issue of employment in the UK?

are you aware that  blacks in this country are  the hardest hit by this recession.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/uk/Ethnic-minorities-hit-hardest-by.5950441.jp

i find it mindboggling that you can actually ask such a question when race has always been the  determinant of wealth and privilege in this society.

in case you missed it here is my earlier response to the poster's question:

to answer the question you cited above in your thread - no there are no jobs in the uk  -the few that do exist are certainly not being given to foreigners  therefore the situation that your friends have found themselves is going to increasingly become the norm amongst many nigerians particularly the ones doing jobs which do not require a high level of skill or expertise.  

to tell me to leave issues of racism out of the discussion tells me that you are totally clueless with regard to the way that the UK economy operates.

are you aware that the reason that black people are hired in this country is because we are paid LESS than our white counterparts and because on average blacks work in jobs that many whites would never do.  also many blacks think like you - they think that the whites are doing them a favour by giving them a job, actually you are the one doing them a favour as the economy of this country would come to a standstill if many blacks and non whites chose to leave - most of the doctors working in the govt hospitals here are nigerians, its cheaper for this country to hire qualified doctors and nurses from other countries as the british govt doesnt have to spend any money training them.
also many of the service sector jobs which pay starvation wages are mostly being done by blacks (mcdonalds, tesco, sainsburys,) whites dont bother with them because the pay is terrible, however all that is changing as the govt begins to cut more and more jobs.

i am far from bitter - i am merely pointing out the truth which many find uncomfortable, no, i didnt see wole soyinka on CNN as i dont watch western propaganda as most of the "information" dessiminated is distorted or untrue.

many nigerians here do not have good jobs, they are here because they think they are better off than their peers in nigeria, nothing could be further from the truth, unless you are a medical professional, scientist, biomedic researcher, i cant see any place for blacks within this system - the system is not designed for blacks to progress, blacks were originally allowed into this country in order to address a labour shortage problem after the second world war, no programme was put in place for the continued progression or development of successive generations of blacks in this country.

many black people like yourself are afraid of facing up to this truth because you want to be able feel you are better off than your peers in nigeria but you are only deceiving  yourself.

Your comments about nigerians choosing to remain here in order to earn honest money is pathetic as you can also make honest money in nigeria but  for this to happen we will first have to confront and get rid of the tyrannical system which exists in our country which many of us are simply too gutless to do , how long do you think whites will allow us to keep competing for fast depleting jobs along with their own people.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by lolupee(m): 6:15pm On Feb 10, 2010
@cap28

My guy, I never said Racism is not connected to unemployment issue. I simply said you should leave Racism out of what the comment poster posted.
I simply answered his question- that a dudu person can get a good job in the UK.
Surely, the men who cant find work …its cause of a combination of reasons at the moment; recession, the skills they have, what they know, what they think, etc
My guy; the fact that I choose to remain and work in the UK does not mean I think I am better than my mates in Nigeria; I have friends who come in regularly from Naija
And we go out together. They never look at me and conclude that I am suffering, even when am not working……, and I don’t steal money here as well. They look at me an at times tell me that I will make more money if I go back home and invest or work in naija.
I know theres a pay gap between coloured people and the indigenous over here, if you can’t take it…, there are things you can do…you can leave it or take it; Instead of crying fowl all over the internet. Am not saying its right and just to be racist though.
You made some good points though, but you spoilt the good points with your hard/wrong lines—
You are right about brain drain, you are right that they just allow us here because of what we contribute to the system. But people still come prosper to an extent, study, gain work experience
And even take it back home to contribute to naija.

So, it’s the poster of the comment you’re meant to be educating about that- not all black people don’t have good jobs.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by DisGuy: 6:29pm On Feb 10, 2010
do you know of any prominent  black person who got to where they are in western society on their own terms without sacrificing their integrity, dignity and in many cases humanity?

I'm not too sure what you mean by prominent but just for the sake of it Tidjane Thiam
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by silentc(m): 6:33pm On Feb 10, 2010
In as much as everyone has raised good points, there are a few facts that I would like to add.

1. The gross annual salary of the top 25% earners in the UK is £31,759. This means that 75% of UK employees earn less than £31,759. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8151355.stm)
2. We have argued that most Nigerian in the UK arent earning well. I must say that at least 25% Nigerians in the UK earn more than £31K per annum (So in all fairness they are only fitting into the cross national profile of earners).

I cannot condemn or look down on anyone who chooses the UK (or any western country as an option to live). I cannot condemn or look down on anyone who chooses to look for a job, live and work in Nigeria. Each man should choose his own destiny.

I agree that if you are not living in the UK legally, then it would be best to go back to Nigeria to look for a job or start a business. This is just my personal opinion.

Some Nigerians are successful in the UK in their career or business, some Nigerian cannot find jobs or start a business in the UK, some Nigerian are successful in their career or business in Nigeria and some cannot find a job or start a business in Nigeria.

If you fall into any of these categories above (as the different sides of the argument have been going), what gives any of us the right to judge those in another category?  No one can say they know the whole UK job market just because of their personal/friends experience, just the same way no one can say there is no job or opportunity in Nigeria just because of our personal/friends experience.

Nigeria or the UK arent what i would call a "Single story" (Thanks to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie the Nigerian writer who talked about this in one of her seminars) i.e Nigeria is bad (single story) or the UK is great (Single story). Nigeria is also good in many way (as it is bad in many ways) and the Uk is also bad in many ways (as it is good in many ways).
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by lolupee(m): 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2010
@ SilentC. God bless you for that apt comment. It is neither here no there, it depends on what you want in your life, what matters to you, time & chance, and a lot of many other things.
@CAP-- i hope you read what Silentc had to say?
My phone just rang minutes ago, a consultant called me to ask I was interested in a job in Wales, paying £310 per day. I know its not the end of the world if i get this job, but ,, am tired of talking. I might even go to Naija and start a bizz that'll make me more richer. So, Cap, dont be chatting like that.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 6:58pm On Feb 10, 2010
lolupee:

@ SilentC. God bless you for that apt comment. It is neither here no there, it depends on what you want in your life, what matters to you, time & chance, and a lot of many other things.
@CAP-- i hope you read what Silentc had to say?
My phone just rang minutes ago, a consultant called me to ask I was interested in a job in Wales, paying £310 per day. I know its not the end of the world if i get this job, but ,, am tired of talking. I might even go to Naija and start a bizz that'll make me more richer. So, Cap, dont be chatting like that.

I challenge your claim sir. For one reason your English is atrocious and you don't sound like someone likely to be offered 300quid a day anywhere. Sorry you don't have the X factor. grin grin
[ I am sorry Simon Cowell wouldn't have ben kinder to you.]
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by doctor126(m): 7:20pm On Feb 10, 2010
There are thousand of jobs in UK, the problem is lack of information on how to get job over there.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tbaba83(m): 7:31pm On Feb 10, 2010
pafun:

I challenge your claim sir. For one reason your English is atrocious and you don't sound like someone likely to be offered 300quid a day anywhere. Sorry you don't have the X factor. grin grin
[ I am sorry Simon Cowell wouldn't have ben kinder to you.]
from your post it is visually clear that you have bad belle for uk people. Your argument retains the conclusion that there are far better opportunities in nigeria than uk but yet you tease uk people who claim they are doing well.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by baslone: 7:34pm On Feb 10, 2010
doctor126:

There are thousand of jobs in UK, the problem is lack of information on how to get job over there.
grin grin grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 10, 2010
This thread has to b one of the funniest i have read lately, this tin is a matter of choice,evryman knows what he wants,let him have it, u have frends dat dnt work n live on their wife,so?i work in a first generation bank and i have a college mate that works as a security guard there,he spent 6yrs to get a law cert,he earns 40k a month n is married,he is d man of the haus,duuh, d guard at my guest haus went to get recharge cards at 9.30pm 3days ago n was attacked,he had multiple skull fracture cos he was repeatedly hit wt a rod on d head,js to steal his 4k china phone, my closest buddies lost thr jobs bout 2mnths ago,they were breadwinners, my fiance has been on d queue 4 d past 2hrs to get fuel,im bothered n hopin she arrives safely, tell me if these guys wldnt b d king of their 'worlds' in a country whr dey hv steady lyt,more security and better standard of livin evn if thr wives hv to pay for it, i bet pafun too has gone mad cos of dis jagbajantis,dnt blame him guys, mayb he dsnt knw enuff masters degree holders in lag pushin barrow under the sun,giv dem visa to go n do d same in london n preach to dem again not to go,c if dey wnt bomb u b4 2mrw morning
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by N101: 7:47pm On Feb 10, 2010
@ pafun

While your points may have been valid regarding your friends, they were all over the place.  There's something you mentioned which I'm surprised no one has picked up on, namely:

pafun: When I started it I had no money either but I had listening ears who were willing to help because they could feel my desire.

Tell me, how did you manage to start a business with no money but "listening ears"?  I've never met anyone who was able to start a business solely on ear power.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Devonian(m): 8:25pm On Feb 10, 2010
@ PAFUN:

I am a school teacher and head of my department in a top notch UK College. I know loads of Nigerians who are professionals: academics, lawyers, medical doctors, pharmacists, banking and finance experts, architects—you name it. I’ve met priests/vicars/pastors contributing meaningfully to their communities as well. Besides, there are Nigerians—men and women—running legitimate, successful businesses: shipping, high street (African) stores, top of the range boutique shops, etc. Let’s be realistic—in comparison with guys doing credit card and allied fraudulent activities, bringing us shame—our Nigerian guys are also into low paid, odd jobs, which belittle the academic degrees they earned from UI, OAU, UNN, UNILAG, which, nonetheless considerably outweighs some lecturers' wages in Nigerian universities.

This said, for the OP (Pafun), to come on this site to claim that because “two friends - grown up men in their 40s, have not had a job for almost two years and just living on their wives who are nurses. I am sure there are hundreds of similar instances like that all over” is, to say the least: daft, stupid, senseless and logically incoherent. You simply shouldn’t use the example of 2 guys to generalise that there are hundreds of similar Nigerian men across the UK. Even my Year 10 students wouldn’t draw such a silly, unempirical conclusion.

As per “Naija churches in London are filled with peeps wearing mournful looks and you can see that their lives are going nowhere.” Where did you get this from? Which Church is that? Where is it located? I’m appalled. Having lived in the UK for over ten years, I’ve not come across a dull Nigerian congregation. Not even catholic or Anglican congregations (with majority Nigerian population) where the rubrics drive the liturgy.

Pafun goes on to say, these Nigerian men “are too proud to let anybody know that” they’re jobless. Are you a job centre agent or an employment agency staff that they’ll tell you they have no jobs? Have you jobs to offer them in your fishery? Pafun further wonders, “Why can't people just get wise that they are living in fool's paradise.” This is again a bogus claim. Wise up? Who says they’re stupid? A friend of my living in Manchester lost his job in the banking industry at the peak of the financial meltdown, and hasn’t been “working” in the last 14 months. Of course, he had put to excellent use, his years of service with the bank by building a portfolio of buy-to-let properties. Yes, he has no "job," today, but earning enough from his properties. Mr Pafun, you really think those your jobless friends would tell you of their other legitimate sources of income, e.g. if they have properties they’re renting out and making some cool money? YOU and YOU ALONE MUST BE LIVING IN YOUT FISHERY’S FOOL PARADISE. Yes, “at home you get sympathy” from who? ARMED ROBBERS? KIDNAPPERS? Et al. I was in Nigeria last summer. That country is, palpably, degenerating by the minute. if I loose my job today (God forbid), I'll rather take up a call center job or cleaning job, than return to Nigeria and teach in a university. When a friend lecturing in UNILAG (position = Lecturer 1) visited the UK for a conference, he told me what he earns, it equates with what a school caretaker (with no academic qualifications) gets. Quality of life? the caretaker rides 54 Reg Avensis, has his own (mortgaged) house, regularly goes on holidays, and apparently has PEACE OF MIND.

Mr PAFUN -- Go and wise up. Thank you.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 8:36pm On Feb 10, 2010
Devonian:

@ PAFUN:

I am a school teacher and head of my department in a top notch UK College. I know loads of Nigerians who are professionals: academics, lawyers, medical doctors, pharmacists, banking and finance experts, architects—you name it. I’ve met priests/vicars/pastors contributing meaningfully to their communities as well. Besides, there are Nigerians—men and women—running legitimate, successful businesses: shipping, high street (African) stores, top of the range boutique shops, etc. Let’s be realistic—in comparison with guys doing credit card and allied fraudulent activities, bringing us shame—our Nigerian guys are also into low paid, odd jobs, which belittle the academic degrees they earned from UI, OAU, UNN, UNILAG, which, nonetheless considerably outweighs some lecturers' wages in Nigerian universities.

This said, for the OP (Pafun), to come on this site to claim that because “two friends - grown up men in their 40s, have not had a job for almost two years and just living on their wives who are nurses. I am sure there are hundreds of similar instances like that all over” is, to say the least: daft, silly, senseless and logically incoherent. You simply shouldn’t use the example of 2 guys to generalise that there are hundreds of similar Nigerian men across the UK. Even my Year 10 students wouldn’t draw such a silly, unempirical conclusion.

As per “Naija churches in London are filled with peeps wearing mournful looks and you can see that their lives are going nowhere.” Where did you get this from? Which Church is that? Where is it located? I’m appalled. Having lived in the UK for over ten years, I’ve not come across a dull Nigerian congregation. Not even catholic or Anglican congregations (with majority Nigerian population) where the rubrics drive the liturgy.

Pafun goes on to say, these Nigerian men “are too proud to let anybody know that” they’re jobless. Are you a job centre agent or an employment agency staff that they’ll tell you they have no jobs? Have you jobs to offer them in your fishery? Pafun further wonders, “Why can't people just get wise that they are living in fool's paradise.” This is again a bogus claim. Wise up? Who says they’re silly? A friend of my living in Manchester lost his job in the banking industry at the peak of the financial meltdown, and hasn’t been “working” in the last 14 months. Of course, he had put to excellent use, his years of service with the bank by building a portfolio of buy-to-let properties. Yes, he has no "job," today, but earning enough from his properties. Mr Pafun, you really think those your jobless friends would tell you of their other legitimate sources of income, e.g. if they have properties they’re renting out and making some cool money? YOU and YOU ALONE MUST BE LIVING IN YOUT FISHERY’S FOOL PARADISE. Yes, “at home you get sympathy” from who? ARMED ROBBERS? KIDNAPPERS? Et al. I was in Nigeria last summer. That country is, palpably, degenerating by the minute. if I loose my job today (God forbid), I'll rather take up a call center job or cleaning job, than return to Nigeria and teach in a university. When a friend lecturing in UNILAG (position = Lecturer 1) visited the UK for a conference, he told me what he earns, it equates with what a school caretaker (with no academic qualifications) gets. Quality of life? the caretaker rides 54 Reg Avensis, has his own (mortgaged) house, regularly goes on holidays, and apparently has PEACE OF MIND.

grin grin grin grin
If I was earning good money in the UK I will not go to internet to defend  my claim. Rather I will keep it to myself and laugh at Pafun  from my house in Essex. I say you f**kers are full of s.hit .
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ezego3(m): 8:51pm On Feb 10, 2010
I would like to give my 2 pence worth on this thread. Like the story of blind men going to see the elephant and having different perspectives of what an elephant actually looked like , all were right in their own "views".
its so obvious what pafun thinks of the UK (which is very obvious). i bet he is one of those people who stay in places like peckham(no disrespect here), associates with people from this class of Nigerians living there and obviously he has never met a different league of Nigerians in places like Knightsbridge and Chelsea who are "holding things down" in top notch investment banks making 6 figures salaries plus bonuses etc.
if you look at his discription of what he call living it up in nigeria as well he thinks having a poultry farm is the shit when there are people doing major sturvs in Nigerian playing with bilions of doolars.

I would implore everyone to understand that peoples perspectives are different (and correct to themselves) so there is no point arguing with him.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by mikelagos: 8:54pm On Feb 10, 2010
yes they can.
i dont see anything stopping them
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tbaba83(m): 9:03pm On Feb 10, 2010
hindu blind men and elephant: Mintzberg SAfari strategy: 10 schools of strategy making. hehehehehe
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pafun(m): 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2010
ezego_1:

I would like to give my 2 pence worth on this thread. Like the story of blind men going to see the elephant and having different perspectives of what an elephant actually looked like , all were right in their own "views".
its so obvious what pafun thinks of the UK (which is very obvious). i bet he is one of those people who stay in places like peckham(no disrespect here), associates with people from this class of Nigerians living there and obviously he has never met a different league of Nigerians in places like Knightsbridge and Chelsea who are "holding things down" in top notch investment banks making 6 figures salaries plus bonuses etc.
if you look at his discription of what he call living it up in nigeria as well he thinks having a poultry farm is the poo when there are people doing major sturvs in Nigerian playing with bilions of doolars.

I would implore everyone to understand that peoples perspectives are different (and correct to themselves) so there is no point arguing with him.

What is obvious about "what Pafun thinks of UK" ?. I think it is a delightful place and that is why I am here on holidays. My grouse is with Nigerians making complete arseholes of themselves all over the place like staying put  in UK is a do or die thing. When I was working  in London I lived in Clayhall you clown, and that is quite far from Peckham which I am sure is the only place you've ever heard about. I also worked in the City alongside the "top notchers" which you think are your own personal gods. And what kind of mugu would want to live permanently in Knightsbridge by the way unless you don't know what to do with your money - and you enjoy having IR crawl up your  arse? Stop dreaming and stop reading about London from discarded magazines you have purchased for N20 in Lagos. I earn a good living from what I do and I don't need billions of anything before I enjoy my life and care for my family. Your perception  of life and what makes it complete is obviously very illiterate and you will definitely find good companions in London; pack your bags and get ready to go also. grin
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by suxes2005(m): 9:57pm On Feb 10, 2010
I fink it all depends on d type of person yu are.
U wil surely get jobs in uk if u r nt lazy n u cant
compare such job with ours here.

SHALOM
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 10:32pm On Feb 10, 2010
Devonian:

@ PAFUN:

For a humble school teacher you seem to be staggeringly arrogant - pray tell which "top notch" UK college is this and what do you teach there?

how do your pupils relate to you - are you accorded the same respect as your white peers?

I ask this because i work within a local govt organisation  and i have experienced many ethnic minority senior staff who are very good at their jobs and come across as down to earth but  regularly have to put up with bullying from white colleagues, not only that they are constantly in an ongoing  battle trying to prove that they are as competent as their white peers, you however seem to have glossed over all of that and seem more interested in reeling off a list of people in high positions which quite frankly means nothing to the average black person who is trying to earn a living in a country where jobs are fast dissapearing on a daily basis.

if what you say is true and you do infact teach in a top notch UK college i would like to know how you have survived as you do not sound like a down to earth person and if theres one thing i know its that whites cant stand arrogant black people- especially arrogant nigerians.  

This said, for the OP (Pafun), to come on this site to claim that because “two friends - grown up men in their 40s, have not had a job for almost two years and just living on their wives who are nurses. I am sure there are hundreds of similar instances like that all over” is, to say the least: daft, silly, senseless and logically incoherent. You simply shouldn’t use the example of 2 guys to generalise that there are hundreds of similar Nigerian men across the UK. Even my Year 10 students wouldn’t draw such a silly, unempirical conclusion.

i dont think it is at all silly for pafun to have made that statement - do you know what the current unemployment rate for blacks in this country is ?  are you aware that black men in the UK experience disproportionate levels of unemployment (irrespective of their qualifications) in comparison to any other ethnic group in this country.
if black men are disproportionately over represented in the unemployment market would it not make sense to conclude that many nigerian men are likely to be affected as well?

Well nigerians are known for being very false because they are so hung up on trying to live beyond their means in order to project an image of success and wealth.  Furthermore many nigerians use churches as an outlet for pent up anxiety and frustration therefore the fact that you have "never come across a dull nigerian congregation" is neither here nor there.  nigerians are very good at masking their true feelings for fear of being seen as weak - its all a facade my friend.

A friend of my living in Manchester lost his job in the banking industry at the peak of the financial meltdown, and hasn’t been “working” in the last 14 months. Of course, he had put to excellent use, his years of service with the bank by building a portfolio of buy-to-let properties.

hang on - i thought the buy to let property market went downhill the minute the recession kicked in  in late 2008, i dont know anyone who invested in the buy to let business that has reaped anything from it since the onset of this recession.

Yes, he has no "job," today, but earning enough from his properties. Mr Pafun, you really think those your jobless friends would tell you of their other legitimate sources of income, e.g. if they have properties they’re renting out and making some cool money? YOU and YOU ALONE MUST BE LIVING IN YOUT FISHERY’S FOOL PARADISE. Yes, “at home you get sympathy” from who? ARMED ROBBERS? KIDNAPPERS? Et al. I was in Nigeria last summer. That country is, palpably, degenerating by the minute.

yes but instead of sitting here in your ivory tower pontificating, why dont you use your extraordinary genius and talent to come up with ways as to how we can save our country.

if I loose my job today (God forbid), I'll rather take up a call center job or cleaning job, than return to Nigeria and teach in a university.

well you better carry on bowing and scraping  to your white employers so that you are not singled out for redundancy (as black staff are usually the last in and first out) as the cleaning jobs are now being snapped up by young white graduates who cant find work.

When a friend lecturing in UNILAG (position = Lecturer 1) visited the UK for a conference, he told me what he earns, it equates with what a school caretaker (with no academic qualifications) gets. Quality of life? the caretaker rides 54 Reg Avensis, has his own (mortgaged) house, regularly goes on holidays, and apparently has PEACE OF MIND.

You are extremely shallow - i can guarantee you that that unilag lecturer is treated with more respect by his pupils and colleagues than you could ever dream of being treated.  by the way since when did teaching become a profession to go into in order to make money and drive expensive cars, i thought teaching was more of a humanitarian type profession where the aim was more in line with helping young people acheive their potential - god give me strength.

No pal, i think you're the one who needs to wise up - you are a teacher not a neuro surgeon - please learn some humility.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by silentc(m): 11:15pm On Feb 10, 2010
cap28, I agree that racism and prejudice still exists in the UK, but since I started working, I havent experienced it personally. I am not bullied or passed over. I prove myself when I start with the company/my team and I have the full respect of my colleagues. It is unfortunate that you know people who are still bullied or discriminated against.

There are quite a number of Nigerians in my current company and they are well respected because they are the best at what they do. I want to highlight that if you have experienced racism and prejudice in your journey through life, I wont say it doesn't exist, but in my journey's I haven't experienced it. I am always given the chance to prove myself (as all companies expect you to when they hire you).

The only time a Nigerian was seen in a bad light was in my former company (another global company with offices in Nigeria), this guy was making long calls to Nigeria (I mean hours on the phone in the evening. He was even coming into the office to make calls in the weekend). This was an abuse of the system and he was found out. If that person gets a different treatment after that can we say it is racism? bear in mind that same person can come on this forum and say his company are racist because he "simply" used the phone in the office.

Please note that I am not saying your experiences are your fault or that there is no racism in the UK. I am not naive to think there is no racism or prejudice. But despite this, I am aware of lots of people doing well and succeeding despite the "two faced" and prejudiced nature of the British system which still exists.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 12:14am On Feb 11, 2010
silentc:

cap28, I agree that racism and prejudice still exists in the UK, but since I started working, I havent experienced it personally. I am not bullied or passed over. I prove myself when I start with the company/my team and I have the full respect of my colleagues. It is unfortunate that you know people who are still bullied or discriminated against.

There are quite a number of Nigerians in my current company and they are well respected because they are the best at what they do. I want to highlight that if you have experienced racism and prejudice in your journey through life, I wont say it doesn't exist, but in my journey's I haven't experienced it. I am always given the chance to prove myself (as all companies expect you to when they hire you).

The only time a Nigerian was seen in a bad light was in my former company (another global company with offices in Nigeria), this guy was making long calls to Nigeria (I mean hours on the phone in the evening. He was even coming into the office to make calls in the weekend). This was an abuse of the system and he was found out. If that person gets a different treatment after that can we say it is racism? bear in mind that same person can come on this forum and say his company are racist because he "simply" used the phone in the office.

Please note that I am not saying your experiences are your fault or that there is no racism in the UK. I am not naive to think there is no racism or prejudice. But despite this, I am aware of lots of people doing well and succeeding despite the "two faced" and prejudiced nature of the British system which still exists.

well lucky you, i on the other hand experience it quite frequently, i have a degree in law plus over 5 years work experience in various areas of law and i compete for jobs in a fast shrinking job market with many whites who have less experience but who are offered the best jobs over and above blacks who are better qualified.  white south africans, new zealanders and australians (despite not having long term work permits) are all offered the best jobs over black british people (and im not talking black people with resident permits but blacks who were born in this country like myself) if a british citizen who was born in this country is being discriminated against simply because of the colour of their skin then you know that there is no hope for blacks in this country.

the high paying jobs are never initially offered to blacks, these jobs are usually reserved for whites, its only where the employer cannot recruit a white person that blacks are considered (usually for less pay) the drop in pay is normally the only reason that whites will offer the job to a black person.

im currently working as a freelance legal contractor, my contract is due for renewal in 2 months time but my employers have chosen instead to readvertise the position so that they can offer the job to a white person, one of my co workers is a new zealander who has been in her position for over 2 years (despite having no experience when she started the job) but has decided to go home to be with her family, my employer's have told her that she is welcome to come back to her job if she changes her mind and decides to come back to the UK - do  you see the difference? If you were in my shoes how would you feel.

things in this country are actually going to get worse, i feel sorry for all these people on here bragging about how they are making £500 an hour - because i know that for any white employer to pay you that kind of money there must be some sort of catch - even in my current job i know the level of jealousy, backstabbing and hostility i face from whites who are not happy to see me working alongside them in a profession that they feel should be reserved for whites only. 

jobs are disappearing fast in this country and in order to pacify their people the govt will start taking away jobs from blacks and giving them to their own people in order to avert a race war - this is the future.

this is why i know that the only way out is for us to try and rebuild our own countries, at the moment blacks are tolerated because the situation is not drastic, however very soon it will become a them (blacks) vs white (us) type situation. 

i think it will be suicidal to just sit here and wait for things to get worse, im currently in the process of making plans to relocate to africa, although im researching which country  will be best for me and my family based on my skills.   

i am all for returning to nigeria as i would like to make some useful contribution to my country, i wish there were more nigerians who thought in this way because as a collective we can make a difference.  the UK is a white man's country - they use black labour when it suits them, when they no longer have any need for you they cast you aside like trash.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ezego3(m): 12:39am On Feb 11, 2010
@cap28
if a "nigerian" and a "malian" applied for the same job in "Nigeria" I can bet my head off that the "nigerian" would have the highest chances of getting the job except if the "Malian" had something more to offer.
Unfortunately the UK is not your country so you need to offer something more.
Why do you think the Indians and the Chinese are propering more than the Blacks in the UK, well my friend their parents realised ages ago that just sending their children to free schools that africans cherish so much in the UK would only keep them confined in their hole and you know what they did they saved every penny and sent these kids to proper private schools, sent them to oxbridge and pronto works like magic they beat the status quo.

I have been promoted over a lot of white colleagues and its not because i feel i deserve it but i have something extra to offer, same shit goes on wherever you may be in this world try and offer something more.

the problem with us blacks is that we love blaming others for our problems but ourselves.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 12:43am On Feb 11, 2010
ezego_1:

@cap28
if a "nigerian" and a "malian" applied for the same job in "Nigeria" I can bet my head off that the "nigerian" would have the highest chances of getting the job except if the "Malian" had something more to offer.
Unfortunately the UK is not your country so you need to offer something more.
Why do you think the Indians and the Chinese are propering more than the Blacks in the UK, well my friend their parents realised ages ago that just sending their children to free schools that africans cherish so much in the UK would only keep them confined in their hole and you know what they did they saved every penny and sent these kids to proper private schools, sent them to oxbridge and pronto works like magic they beat the status quo.I have been promoted over a lot of white colleagues and its not because i feel i deserve it but i have something extra to offer, same poo goes on wherever you may be in this world try and offer something more.
the problem with us blacks is that we love blaming others for our problems but ourselves.

My point exactly!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Searching for a job? Click here to get free CV templates, interview tips etc. / Between My Teaching Job And A Bank Security Job / List Of N-power Volunteers Whose Payments Have Been Put On Hold.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.