Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Jonathan Is Now President - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is Now President (10623 Views)

Prof. Joy Ogwu Now President Of UN Security Council / Former President Jonathan’s Legacy Is Now President Muhammadu Buhari’s Burden / Breaking News, Turai Now President, Yaradua Her ADC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Is Now President by FBS: 1:30pm On Feb 10, 2010
agitator:

how do you expect somebody who is acting to sack people appointed by his boss who is still recognized.  It's not like the seat is vacant and he is just occupying it for the meantime pending when a new person will be appointed or he is confirmed as is applicable in the civil service.  What do you think will happen to the VP if eventually the AWOL presido returns.
Thanks you. My line of thought precisely.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by otawa: 1:30pm On Feb 10, 2010
This is just another delay tactic and I am afraid that Jonathan is in on this charade this time. If he wasn't, he would not have accepted this lame offer by the senate. The constitution prescribes TWO clear ways by which the VP can become an acting president. The first option is for the President to forward a letter to the Senate president stating that he is handing over power to the vice-president for whatever reason. He failed to do that.

The second option is one that is designed to take care of the peculiar situation we find ourselves in Nigeria where the president has absconded from his duty post and is manifestly UNABLE to send a letter to the Senate. The onus in this case lies on the FEC who by a resolution of at least two-thirds of its membership, are supposed to declare the President incapable of discharging his duties and convey such to the Senate president. The senate president and Speaker of the House are then supposed to set up a medical board of five eminently qualified medical personnel including the president's personal physician to investigate and report back to them. It is based on this feedback that the Senate can do what they have done now. As it is now, the Senate has inadvertently over reached itself and created yet another fertile ground for freak court cases that will further worsen the logjam we are in now.

The Senate should have invoked its powers as enshrined in Section 143 of the 1999 constitution and commenced IMPEACHMENT proceedings against the president. In my opinion, Yaradua fits the bill for impeachment because of acts of "gross misconduct" as described by Section 143, Sub-section 11 of the 1999 constitution, by his singular act of absconding from his duty post for 78 days without informing the senate.

I know this charade will end some day soon. God bless Nigeria!!!

exactly. That is why I am suprised at the opposition parties!

They should have called for an early election and do away with both fraudulent Yaradua and Luckygood.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by agitator: 1:44pm On Feb 10, 2010
What you peeps don’t understand is that this will not change anything in Nigeria. When Yar dua was nominated as PDP presidential candidate and Goodluck VP I told those around me that OBJ wanted to still be in control, because of all the healthy people vying for the position he choose to appoint a sick man, who had not shown any interest against all the numerous healthy contestants and made sure Goodluck becomes his VP. He wanted Goodluck because of his loyalty to Alams, meaning he will be loyal to him (OBJ) no matter what. In conclusion the sharing and looting continues.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Fhemmmy: 1:47pm On Feb 10, 2010
Now hope the nation can move forward and we can have an agenda and have positive direction in the nation.
We wish Yar'Adua a quick recovery and wish him the best.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by goksonjay(m): 1:53pm On Feb 10, 2010
While Yar Adua is having a good character, He is not having the requisite skills to rule/lead this great nation. Jonathan on the other way is lacking both skills and character, but the smart play and long term strategic positioning of the ex-president Obasanjo is working out real good now. I wonder what this nation will be again having a dangerous holy dummy as its acting president for the next 2 years. NIGERIAN PRAY,
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by naijaswag1: 1:55pm On Feb 10, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Now hope the nation can move forward and we can have an agenda and have positive direction in the nation.
We wish Yar'Adua a quick recovery and wish him the best.

Don't expect Jonathan to Perform More Than YarAdua or Change Anything

My assertions is based on the fact that I was of those who had tremendous faith and presumed at the beginning of the Yar'Adua's presidency that he was going to change the status quo of governance in Nigeria.I was so disappointed last year that I became one of those early birds who as far back as November 9th 2009 made it clear that it was time for Yar'Adua to throw in the towel in my blog(nigeriarevolution..com) titled "10 Critical Reasons Why President Yar'Adua should Resign." My assessment of the health status of the president going by media reports and close observation for his two and half years in power.His dismal performance which constituted the remaining nine (9) critical points were also glaring.But in our country,resignation is not in our character and is seen as weakness even when it is necessary.However,one typical example which lead me to write off Yar'Adua is the fact that this man did not understand the value of education that his parents gave him.Hence he never prioritize it in his absurd 7-point agenda of destruction.Probably the fact that he came from a wealthy family and could afford a princely sum of 700 million Naira as a retiring Teacher made him to become a total nincompoop and ignoramus when it came to the the tool which still represent the gap between the West and the rest of the world.He did not in any way realize that education insulates a man from poverty when it is acquired to the college and university levels.He could afford to stomach our universities closed for 4 months and travel to Saudi Arabia and commission a world class university that will train its citizens free of charge all because the lecturers asked for salary that is par with African average not to talk of the G20 average which we want to ingloriously join by 2020.Don't expect any changes from Jonathan.It is the same people who have been looting us dry.What we will probably have is a change of baton from one group to the other and the destruction of Nigeria continues.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by juliesanto(f): 2:00pm On Feb 10, 2010

My guy u are right, i was in Lagos during the last election and my credit goes to Lagosians, then if other states can do the same thing, pdp will be completely out
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 10, 2010
@FBS

please tell me the quote by David Mark is a lie, because i dont want to believe our senate president can be this non-diplomatic, stupid and dumb

do they have 100% prove that the voice on the phone was yar adua or computer arranged tape.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Pointbshot: 2:02pm On Feb 10, 2010
What will Good luck Jonathan do to the likes James Ibori, Andoakaa, and other notorious corrupt felons protected by Ya radua?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by naijaswag1: 2:04pm On Feb 10, 2010
Pointbshot:

What will Good luck Jonathan do to the likes James Ibori, Andoakaa, and other notorious corrupt felons protected by Ya radua?

Nothing,quote me nothing.Is he a good man himself?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by MsTom(f): 2:16pm On Feb 10, 2010
This is so funny. Ever since the president left, according to the constitution, Jonathan was supposed to be acting already. He never needed anyone to enforce him. The constitution did. The question is, should the president be impeached? If yes, then let the house act according and then declare whoever is to be the president (whether the VP or the speaker of the house- dont know what the constitution picks) to become president. That is What they need to enforce and not an acting president. An acting president is just the president figure head. He has no power. The former president tells him what to do and he does it. I dont think that izs what Nigeria needs because we do not know the status of yaradua's health. We need to know who is ruling. Whether Yaradua or someone else. An impeachment is necessary for us to know who is ruling the nation.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by suxes2005(m): 2:17pm On Feb 10, 2010
I'm appy 4 d guy oooooooo

I knew he will one day become
acting and l8a President
check ma earlier posts.

SHALOM
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sweet9ja: 2:20pm On Feb 10, 2010
The decision to declare Jonathan act. prez is political. It may be unconstitutional, but I'm afraid challenging it in the courts by aondoaakaa or anyone else is not without risk; activating the impeachment clause (there is enough ground to impeach and I understand that the pro impeachment senators are up to 80 in number). My best bet is they'll opt to leave things the way they are. Trust me, these guys know what they are doing, they've already made some deals.

Jonathan has already address the nation in his new capacity as act. prez. He needs the support of us all to steady the nation and posibly lead us in the right direction. We all owe it to Nigeria to give him our support, his job is not an easy one. Afterall, the Nigerian presidency has been discribed as one of the most difficult job on earth. I wish him the best of luck. wink
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by youngbest(m): 2:50pm On Feb 10, 2010
man did u see the emergency announcement by goodluck it reminded me of the abacha days it started wit d anthem goin da dam da dam da dammmmmmmm,
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sayso: 2:52pm On Feb 10, 2010
which agenda will he follow,his own 8 point or his boss 7 point agenda?which way 9ja.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 2:57pm On Feb 10, 2010
Don't know if it is true o!!!! But I just read a newsflash on Sahara reporters that I-Don'T CARE the minister of INJUSTICE has been booted out with immediate effect!!!!! I say halleluya if it is true.

Next to be booted? Ojo Maduekwe Alias ANY-GOVERNMENT-IN-POWER!!!!!!!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

http://saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/5119-aondoakaa-removed.html
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Dede1(m): 2:57pm On Feb 10, 2010
Reptyle:

I take it that you are not based in Nigeria going by your post. Now I don't know where you are based but I take it that going by your post, you do not agree that absconding from your duty post without following due procedure to ensure that the job you are entrusted with does not suffer, is very ok, provided you are sick Strange conclusion if you ask me.

Is that how it works in the country where you are based? Is that how it obtains in your place of work, that you can just up and leave your duty post for days without informing your employers and perhaps handing over your duties to a relief person? Perhaps you are a student and you decide to play truant for a semester or a session without informing the authorities; What do you think would happen to your scholarship in that school?

For your information, no one has called for Yaradua's sack because he is sick, but because HIS SICKNESS HAS RENDERED HIM INCAPABLE OF PERFORMING HIS DUTIES AS PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has refused to speak to Nigerians who "elected" him and refused to at least temporarily hand over power to his deputy until he is physically able to withstand the rigors of the presidential office once again. If you are employed to do a job and you find along the line that due to one reason or the other, that you are unable to discharge your duties, the honourable thing to do is to resign. if you do not resign, it is only a matter of time before your employer notices your incompetence and force you out of that position!!!

Falling sick does not constitute "gross misconduct" as explained by the constitution. Thus ill-health is not a ground for impeachment, until it starts to impact negatively on your work as it is currently doing to Yaradua.

Before grinding a flawed analogy to stupor, I must submit that there was no election conducted for my job and the code of conduct for the staffs made it clear that “If you are sick it is imperative to notify appropriate quarters by calling in or sending email to that matter. In addition, I do not have a vice who could step in as the acting person”.

Unlike the Section 145 of Nigerian constitution that says;

“Whenever the president transmits to the President of the senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-Presidents as Acting President”.

The three key words in the above paragraph are “whenever” very infinite in real time and “until” indication of end time and “contrary” opposing the content of such letter.  There is no compelling clause in the paragraph that will dictate a time limit when the President had to transmit such letter and what action to be pursued if the president fails to do so.  

The issue is discharging functions as Vice President or Acting President.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Remii(m): 3:03pm On Feb 10, 2010
Subject: Goodluck

Dear all,

PLEASE IN YUR OWN INTEREST: no matter the position yu are offered in ANY organisation if yur deputy is named "Goodluck" , please decline, even if it is UN SEC GEN OR HEAD OF THE AFRICAN UNION in yur own interest decline o,

in case yu think am joking:

- Goodluck was assistant head boy in pry schl, the head boy got expelled, he took over

- Goodluck was assistant senior prefect in secondary school, the senior prefect died, Goodluck took over

- Goodluck was deputy local govt chairman, the chairman got implicated in corruption and got removed from office, Goodluck took over

- Goodluck was deputy governor to Alameiseigha, we all know that story

- Goodluck was vice to Yar adua : PERICADIATIS!

yu may say its coincidence, na yu know

a friend of mine just called off his church wedding, why? his bestman was named Goodluck

he is insisting that all that will occur is traditional wedding,

i don talk my own
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by MsTom(f): 3:10pm On Feb 10, 2010
Remii:

Dear all,

PLEASE IN YUR OWN INTEREST: no matter the position yu are offered in ANY organisation if yur deputy is named "Goodluck" , please decline, even if it is UN SEC GEN OR HEAD OF THE AFRICAN UNION in yur own interest decline o,

- Goodluck was assistant head boy in pry schl, the head boy got expelled, he took over

- Goodluck was assistant senior prefect in secondary school, the senior prefect died, Goodluck took over

- Goodluck was deputy local govt chairman, the chairman got implicated in corruption and got removed from office, Goodluck took over

a friend of mine just called off his church wedding, why? his bestman was named Goodluck

i don talk my own

Is this for real? If yes, I guess that it is his destiny to be a leader regardless. Funny though!
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sweet9ja: 3:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
@sayso, Yar Adua/Jonathan have a joint agenda. It's not a bad one at all, so, he should implement it.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by chidichris(m): 3:14pm On Feb 10, 2010
we still have pdp in power so no much will be expected from the criminal gangs.
if they idiots know they will hand over, why have they been wasting our time all these while.
they have concluded all their arrangements and have ended up putting goodluck on chains.
shame to nigeria and pdp.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 10, 2010
[quote msg5487484#msg5487484 date=1265810593]

i don talk my own

[quote][/quote]

LMAO grin shocked grin
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by deejaid(m): 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2010
well done, luckygood declared as Acting Presido is a welcome development in d anal of Nigeria history. at least we cease to b described as sheep without a sherperd by international media. Nonetheless, d kabalious kabal are still in control. it is their handi-work! one day, their hide-out 'll b exposed. nd Nigeria shall be FREE.
IF THE LORD SET NIGERIA FREE, SHE SHALL BE FREE INDEED.

Join me now, visit www.smsglo.com IT is FREE
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2010
Dede1:

Before grinding a flawed analogy to stupor, I must submit that there was no election conducted for my job and the code of conduct for the staffs made it clear the “If you are sick it is imperative to notify appropriate quarters by calling in or sending email to that matter. In addition, I do not have a vice who could step in as the acting person”.

Unlike the Section 145 of Nigerian constitution that says;

“Whenever the president transmits to the President of the senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-Presidents as Acting President”.

The three key words in the above paragraph are “whenever” very infinite in real time and “until” indication of end time and “contrary” opposing the content of such letter.  There is no compelling clause in the paragraph that will dictate a time limit when the President had to transmit such letter and what action to be pursued if the president fails to do so.  

The issue is discharging functions as Vice President or Acting President.

You got ur job by passing thru at least some form of interview. The president got his by election. Bottomline is that he has been entrusted with a job to do and he has grossly and woefully failed to deliver on the mandate that was ENTRUSTED to him. He has not even been able to deliver on 1 out of his own self assigned 7-point agenda! No light, no water, no fuel, Nigeria has been labelled a terrorist sponsor and internally, the country is crises prone from religious extremists, militants and even the military.

Though the constitution does not stipulate a time frame for transmitting a letter to the Senate as you rightly pointed out, I do not think one needs a degree in nuclear physics to know that the country is drifting because Mr. president, by reason of his ill-health is not just incapable of discharging his duties, but also incapable of transmitting the required letter to the Senate. That is why the executive council should have invoked section 144 of the constitution in the interest of the country.

I feel for Yaradua. But the fact is that the country cannot be allowed to go to the dogs because he is incapacitated. The constitution prescribes clear ways of getting out of this logjam.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by zeedee(f): 3:29pm On Feb 10, 2010
Next thing will be a coup d'etat. undecided
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by oderemo(m): 3:33pm On Feb 10, 2010
Next thing will be a coup d'etat

not now and never. and in case that happens . NIGERIA as whole is gone. will be no more.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by kelvin(m): 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2010
MsTom:

Is this for real? If yes, I guess that it is his destiny to be a leader regardless. Funny though!

More like he is jinxed.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by blackmann(m): 3:45pm On Feb 10, 2010
It took all my willpower and patience to read thru the replies to this thread, i can come to one conclusion - Nigerians are hard to please no matter what. i'm pretty sure it was most pple here that had been shouting in the past that yaradua is a lame president, and he didn't hand over power, his cacus wants him hold on to the presidency at all costs. now that the VP has been empowered, these same pple are saying otherwise -  he will be a figurehead, a lame acting president, all under 24 hrs of his swearing in. like ebenezer obey said "ko si ogbon ti o le da, ko si iwa ti o le wu, ko si ona ti o le mo, ti o le fi te aye l'orun"(there is nothing in this world u can do that will make u satisfy everybody).
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Fhemmmy: 3:46pm On Feb 10, 2010
Hahahahaha . . . I have come to realize that, dont expect and you wont be disappointed
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by LeggyR(f): 3:47pm On Feb 10, 2010
That is true! you cannot please everyone! surely having someone there is better than nothing in any case!
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by hauler: 3:51pm On Feb 10, 2010
You all need to get back to work and stop being internet gangsters. These people will run the country whatever way they like and there is nothing you guys can do but sit here ranting and raving. Abeg stop wasting your time
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by deejaid(m): 3:51pm On Feb 10, 2010
zeedee:

Next thing will be a coup d'etat.   undecided

pestimists ! who told u dat coup d'etat, even d querillaz will never try it again in 9ja. NATO, UN, SECURITY COUNCIL, US, AU, EU, ECOMOG etc  and even d whole world will promptly condemn military junta and safeguard DeMoCrAcY IN 9ja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku "Selected" As Northern Consensus Candidate / Northern Elders, Youths Endorse Jonathan For 2015 / Soludo Loses Bid To Reverse Disqualification As APGA Guber Aspirant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.