Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,530 members, 7,954,991 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:48 PM

Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? (2701 Views)

2014 Confab’s Resolution Is Change Nigeria Needs, Not Buhari – Yoruba Leaders / Do Religious Centers Have The Power To Change Nigeria? / Adenike Grange: How The Cabal Gets Rid Of Anyone Who Wants To Change Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by DatNiggaAk(m): 1:26pm On Feb 09, 2010
I have the feeling that if APGA/PPA controls he South East,
AC or AD (if it still exist) controls the South West,
ANPP holds sway in the North East,
the middle belt has it's own party and the North has it's own paRTY
Nigeria's democracy would grow and the economy will benefit.
one single party will not be dominant because the lower and upper houses will be composed of various parties and not a single majority.
electing a president will result in power sharing among the various parties and if any party pulls out of the power sharing agreement, that government will fall apart and new elections will have to be held.
that means, all the regions will be well taken care off.
each party will want to outdo the other in order to prove that their party is better.
this will lead to development and improvement in the standard of living of those in that region.
remember Awolowo back in the days and what he did in the western region?
he pushed that region forward educationally.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by asha80(m): 2:12pm On Feb 09, 2010
DatNiggaAk:

one single party will not be dominant because the lower and upper houses will be composed of various parties and not a single majority.
electing a president will result in power sharing among the various parties and if any party pulls out of the power sharing agreement, that government will fall apart and new elections will have to be held.
each party will want to outdo the other in order to prove that their party is better.
this will lead to development and improvement in the standard of living of those in that region.

To me Awolowo days had little or nothing to do with regional parties but more to do with regional independence.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by Pk001(m): 2:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
DatNiggaAk:

Then PDP controls the whole regions put together
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by DatNiggaAk(m): 2:34pm On Feb 09, 2010
Pk001:

if you vote on regional lines, how will PDP control the whole regions?
with APGA's win in the just concluded Anambra elections, despite the presence of the almighty Soludo(PDP)
and the anti godfather Ngige(AC)
All APGA needs to do now is consolidate in the Southeast.
AC is already putting in work in the south west.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by unclebros: 2:40pm On Feb 09, 2010
I think i agree with the poster, this 'may' create a kind of competition and same time I cant bet on it cos our politicians are soooooooooooooo greedy!!!1
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by olafolarin(m): 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2010
Pk001:

God forbid,

Nigeria is above regional parties.The solution to Nigeria's political problem is out-voting PDP.
PDP should be voted out of power replaced by a more credible and pragmatic party in the like of AC,APGA,etc.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by Emperoh(m): 2:53pm On Feb 09, 2010
The problems of Nigeria are not regional. . . . every region suffers poverty!!
hence a regional or non-regional party will NEVER solve our political divisions!!!

Lets pray for a sincere heart amongst our politicians!!!
Thats just the little we can do to help this nation grow!!!
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by asha80(m): 3:00pm On Feb 09, 2010
Emperoh:

The problems of Nigeria are not regional. . . . every region suffers poverty!!
hence a regional or non-regional party will NEVER solve our political divisions!!!

Lets pray for a sincere heart amongst our politicians!!!
Thats just the little we can do to help this nation grow!!!

Continue deluding yourself that prayer will change the mindset of our politicians.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by sjeezy8: 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2010
Regional parties are ok but when the national elections start regional parties are meaningless.
The south will continue to divide its self.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by figment232(m): 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2010
dumpers needed urgently for hire call 08035420177 or 08059268461

Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by vicishow(m): 4:59pm On Feb 09, 2010
Am into internet biz not politics. Thanks.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by Ibime(m): 5:25pm On Feb 09, 2010
The presence of regional parties only indicates that the country is a federation of regions and should be treated as such.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by tayoast(m): 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2010
It a culdesac!

It won't work
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by slap1(m): 6:01pm On Feb 09, 2010
Seun, do SOMETHING about this page loading problem. It's really irritating. I click on another page and I find myself here. Wassup?
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by abey2(m): 7:06pm On Feb 09, 2010
@poster.Capital no! Most expecially THE NDI IGBO who cry loudly of marginalisatn of late, a party shd spread and be noticable across d country. Unlike wat obtainS in ANAMBRA where APGA hold sway, Most politician of eastern descent hv put on dis toga of tribal politics.Wit dos 'tiny' parties n d east.hw d we operate beyond our states?
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by OPCman: 7:17pm On Feb 09, 2010
olafolarin:

God forbid,
Nigeria is above regional parties.The solution to Nigeria's political problem is out-voting PDP.
PDP should be voted out of power replaced by a more credible and pragmatic party in the like of AC,APGA,etc.

Signed: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

With the above comment are you in darkness? shocked
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by Str8talk: 9:09pm On Feb 09, 2010
@ALL

Lend me your ears

IWU is trying to lull us into complacence

The man has been awarding victories to opposition parties - AC IN Edo and APGA in Anambra

This is to make the opposition parties abandon
- clamour for electoral reform
- agitation for his removal
- their ever-watchfulness about the antics of PDP

This is a trick. Electoral reform is a must! We should continue the agitation
We should not "win" elections just because it so pleases INEC
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by egift(m): 10:44pm On Feb 09, 2010
Division is never forceful - www.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by mekusxxx: 10:55pm On Feb 09, 2010
South EAST=APGA (Anambra), PPA (Abia), PDP (Enugu, Imo, Ebonyi)
SOUTH WEST=AC (Lagos), LP (Ondo), PDP (Oyo, Ekiti, Ogun and Osun)
SOUTH SOUTH = AC (Edo) PDP (Rivers, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Bayelsa)
PDP is still in charge of the south by a very significant margin- 12 states versus 5 states
Thus, the so-called regional parties still have a long way to go. Moreover, there is really no new deal in Anambra since APGA was already the ruling party there.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by SapeleGuy: 11:40pm On Feb 09, 2010
Yes they will. It is preparing the ground for devolution.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by udezue(m): 11:44pm On Feb 09, 2010
APGA & PPA - Imo, Abia, Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, Rivers, Delta, Akwaibom, Cross Rivers, and Bayelsa.
AC & PDP - Edo, Ogun, Ekiti, Lagos, Ondo, etc
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by Recardo(m): 12:59am On Feb 10, 2010
I think the Poster has a point. theres a bit of truth in what you saying. But what i want for Nigeria is a Parliamentary Government.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by DatNiggaAk(m): 9:56am On Feb 10, 2010
Recardo:

I think the Poster has a point. theres a bit of truth in what you saying. But what i want for Nigeria is a Parliamentary Government.

how would a parliamentary government help us?
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by Virgo83(m): 11:31am On Feb 10, 2010
We needed more than Regional Parties to Change this Country, what we need is a Revolution against the Bad Peoples' Democration of Power.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by DatNiggaAk(m): 12:19pm On Feb 10, 2010
Virgo83:

We needed more than Regional Parties to Change this Country, what we need is a Revolution against the Bad Peoples' Democration of Power.

who will spearhead the revolution?
charity begins at home they say,
with regional parties, the bad eggs will be identified and sidelined
without any other tribe crying out about marginalization.
we can then struggle to define whether we practice true federalism or we go back to regional politics
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by idiopathic: 3:56pm On Feb 10, 2010
I agree with the poster. I feel regional parties will have the grassroots support and function as formidable oppostion to the ruling party.
I could still remember tthe days of UPN and how they always held the ruling NPN to account.
Unfortunately, it didn't stop NPN from being very corrupt.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by idifu(m): 5:15pm On Feb 10, 2010
Yes they might change Nigeria but not the AC's ,APGA's,ANPP's e.t.c cuz they arent for the ppl, they are for their selfish interests,

We need real political parties that will be for the people of Nigeria and not the Jaguda parites, ole parties, barawo parties e.t.c we av in Nigeria at the moment
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by rafobie: 8:15pm On Feb 10, 2010
That would mean systematically taking us back 10 or 20 years. Its a no no for me.
Re: Will Regional Parties Change Nigeria? by orisun: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2010
No regional parties will not change Nigeria. Only Regional governments can truly benefit the people. Lets go back to the days of Awolowo.

(1) (Reply)

Why Fashola Is The Best Option For Nigeria Come 2015. / Boko Haram : Some Soldiers Chicken Out Of Battle – Gen Minimah / EBOLA: Liberia's President Writes Heartbreaking Letter To The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.