Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera (2436 Views)

Northern Elite In Panic As New Radio Biafra Hausa Makes Wave In The North / The Evil Called Quota System As Perpetrated By The Northern Elite Class! / There Is No Dr. Ismaila Farouk: Re: Northern Elite Blasts Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by freshest4live: 9:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
You are turning me like barber chair
Education is the answer and nothing else
Lol, l hear you.
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by ultron12345: 9:48pm On Jul 30, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Dangote should channel ten percent of his wealth into education in the North and we will end up with the North being another Switzerland with a high literacy value.

The elites in the North are failing them daily which gives rise to religious groups that hide under danfodio militant islam to propagate violence.

The north is crying for education
Look at this one...is dangote government, is it his duty to provide free education

1 Like

Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 30, 2017
ultron12345:

Look at this one...is dangote government, is it his duty to provide free education
Go back and read everything and stop being dumb here
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by freshest4live: 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2017
dokiOloye:
Not exactly d truth.
The more educated they are,d more they realise d futility of the subsistence farming they mostly engage in and embrace modern methods of farming which guarantee less input with better yield.
For example,how do U explain artificial insemination,drip irrigation, pollination etc to a stark illiterate?
At a time,if d turenchi becomes too much,he will politely excuse himself to go and do d type his forefathers did.
Most of d big commercial farms along Abuja-Keffi road are owned by highly educated ppl including some doctors I know and d difference in efficiency,productivity etc is clear.
Yeah, what l mean is you just teach those interested in agriculture, modern techniques of agriculture.
Even in the Western World, not everyone gets past what we call primary school, but they have vocational institute to pursue their passions or learn modern agriculture as the case may be, and they ain't voilent. So education(all the way) is not the major key. If you travel to Germany for instance, you'll see this is the case.

1 Like

Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 30, 2017
EmeeNaka:
Libyans were much educated before they got burnt by civil war, Syria has a high literacy level before getting into war, Turkey is highly literate society but they're becoming more of a sharia state recently. The cause of many problems around us is the leadership we have and interest of foreign govt in our country. An average Northerner is a peaceful person just like average Southerner. There are violent people within every society but Government efforts, rule of law, justice will reduce violence.
Those countries you mentioned fought wars because they were educated and can't stand dictatorship again.

Can't you see what is happening in America with Trump policies making people to take to the streets to oppose it. These are what education and enlightenment teaches you.

Average northerner is peaceful but started killing people because of a cartoon in Denmark depicting Prophet Mohammed. It's illiteracy on their part which bred the violence to think they were fighting for their god.

Why didn't other countries like Egypt attacked their Christian population when such happened?

1 Like

Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Curlieweed: 10:59pm On Jul 30, 2017
dokiOloye:
The northern elites will rather build more mosques where their collaborator imams will indoctrinate the masses 5 times daily and madrassas where d children of d poor will be forced to cram d quran in Arabic rather than in English which is more useful to a Nigerian.
They will send their own children to study in d UK and Egypt but will hardly build conventional schools for their masses cos it is better for them to keep d masses in ignorance so they can always mobilise them during riots and during elections to vote for dundees like Osama BinHary.

This thing no concern me but I think it's rather facile to blame only the elite for a phenomenon with clearly complex cultural and historical antecedents.

The Northern governments have actually invested (proportionately) more in education than their counterparts down here. They have made more efforts to make education more affordable using tools like bursaries and scholarship. The question is why have the masses largely refused to take advantage of these opportunities? Anecdotal evidence suggests that individuals from outside the region take advantage of the opportunities disproportionately to the situation with Northerners in the South. That is the question you will need to answer in order to attempt solving the problem.

I haven't given this issue a lot of thought ( because it's none of my business) but there was a time when people from my part of the world were also similarly disadvantaged regarding educational accomplishments. They understood rather quickly that education was the key to advancement in what was essentially a new paradigm. They then made huge communal and individual sacrifices to close the gap.

My poser are;
a) Why doesn't the Northern masses recognize the benefits of education?
b) If they recognize the benefits therein, what is preventing them from taking advange of existing opportunities and even making communal and individual efforts to expand same.
c) Does residual feudalism have a role to play here?
d)What is the role of religious leaders in all these and related who is paying these religious clowns.

You can force a horse to the stream but you can't force it to drink. Don't just blame (horse) groom.
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by freshest4live: 11:11pm On Jul 30, 2017
Curlieweed:

This thing no concern me but I think it's rather facile to blame only the elite for a phenomenon with clearly complex cultural and historical antecedents.

The Northern governments have actually invested (proportionately) more in education than their counterparts down here. They have made more efforts to make education more affordable using tools like bursaries and scholarship. The question is why have the masses largely refused to take advantage of these opportunities? Anecdotal evidence suggests that individuals from outside the region take advantage of the opportunities disproportionately to the situation with Northerners in the South. That is the question you will need to answer in order to attempt solving the problem.

I haven't given this issue a lot of thought ( because it's none of my business) but there was a time when people from my part of the world were also similarly disadvantaged regarding educational accomplishments. They understood rather quickly that education was the key to advancement in what was essentially a new paradigm. They then made huge communal and individual sacrifices to close the gap.

My poser are;
b) If they recognize the benefits therein, what is preventing them from taking advange of existing opportunities and even making communal and individual efforts to expand same.
d)What is the role of religious leaders in all these and related who is paying these religious clowns.

You can force a horse to the stream but you can't force it to drink. Don't just blame (horse) groom.
The type of lslam practiced is the problem, also the Elites use it to their advantage.
But like l argued earlier on, we need a paradigm shift in this country on how we view education.
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Exciton(m): 4:06am On Aug 01, 2017
freshest4live:

Yeah, what l mean is you just teach those interested in agriculture, modern techniques of agriculture.
Even in the Western World, not everyone gets past what we call primary school, but they have vocational institute to pursue their passions or learn modern agriculture as the case may be, and they ain't voilent. So education(all the way) is not the major key. If you travel to Germany for instance, you'll see this is the case.

QueenOfNepal is right and you're wrong. The error in your reasoning is confusing higher degrees or any degree for an education.

The most important purpose of an education is to give you the ability to process information from your environment and apply critical thinking skills to make a decision or form an opinion. If you're unable to acquire this, even after a PhD, your behaviour is subject to popular opinion, to prejudices, to bias, to stagnant cultural beliefs, to whatever the media, religious and political leaders tell you.

One of the key diff between developed and developing countries is simply this fact: evidence based decisions -- they teach their children to form opinions themselves in a rational way; most learn this even before high school. Thus, even if they decide to acquire vocational skills for blue collar jobs, they still have the minimum critical thinking skills to avoid low-level manipulation.

If the North wants to advance, they need to crack down on Islamic clerics disseminating hate and misinformation, occupy the minds of the vulnerable masses with work (agric, mining, manufacturing etc), empower the kids with critical thinking, and very important: work with media (movies, news etc) to build new ideals for the society (empathy, a strong focus on love, curiosity, exploring one's environment in a scientific manner etc) all in a bid to make the populace less violent... it's also manipulation but for the greater good grin

The South needs this almost as much as the North though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by freshest4live: 5:28am On Aug 01, 2017
Exciton:

QueenOfNepal is right and you're wrong. The error in your reasoning is confusing higher degrees or any degree for an education.

The most important purpose of an education is to give you the ability to process information from your environment and apply critical thinking skills to make a decision or form an opinion. If you're unable to acquire this, even after a PhD, your behaviour is subject to popular opinion, to prejudices, to bias, to stagnant cultural beliefs, to whatever the media, religious and political leaders tell you.

One of the key diff between developed and developing countries is simply this fact: evidence based decisions -- they teach their children to form opinions themselves in a rational way; most learn this even before high school. Thus, even if they decide to acquire vocational skills for blue collar jobs, they still have the minimum critical thinking skills to avoid low-level manipulation.

If the North wants to advance, they need to crack down on Islamic clerics disseminating hate and misinformation, occupy the minds of the vulnerable masses with work (agric, mining, manufacturing etc), empower the kids with critical thinking, and very important: work with media (movies, news etc) to build new ideals for the society (empathy, a strong focus on love, curiosity, exploring one's environment in a scientific manner etc) all in a bid to make the populace less violent... it's also manipulation but for the greater good grin

The South needs this almost as much as the North though.
Ironically we are saying the same thing, your point is even closer to mine, l'm saying giving them education is not all about giving them a degree else they also end up as frustrated graduates.
Tell me, in Nigeria what is the common view of education? It's always about degrees in schools and colleges only. But this is not the mentality of the developed world, l know this about Germany.
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 06, 2017
Curlieweed:

My poser are;

I need to resurrect this thread by reminding you that the Northern elites are not doing anything rather they are using their masses as cannon fodder for their wars or election
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 06, 2017
freshest4live:

Ironically we are saying the same thing, your point is even closer to mine, l'm saying giving them education is not all about giving them a degree else they also end up as frustrated graduates.
Tell me, in Nigeria what is the common view of education? It's always about degrees in schools and colleges only. But this is not the mentality of the developed world, l know this about Germany.
Do you know that the reason the South is not underdeveloped like the North is because of formal education which unclads any leader that wants to lie to the masses of divine mandate
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by TundeHashim(m): 5:26pm On Nov 06, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
How many Foundations can we point out in the North to help in building schools or sending those almajiri back to class? Just a margin of 8% while the foundations to propagate islam and entrench wahabbism is more than 80%.

We are sitting on a time bomb

Please where did u get yr statistics?
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by TundeHashim(m): 5:34pm On Nov 06, 2017
Crocky23:

Without illiteracy the average northerner is still very aggressive, maybe its part of their persona/psyche.

Lol! Southerners, I must say with all sense of honesty, are more lousy than Northerners. The Calmest People you could ever meet on earth is the Fulani. An average Fulani man rarely talks in public. In fact, being shy and calm is a defining future of "Fulaniness". Same goes for the Hausa and Kanuri...Northerners are not aggressive bro...
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2017
TundeHashim:

Please where did u get yr statistics?
Don't ask me that.
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 06, 2017
TundeHashim:

Lol! Southerners, I must say with all sense of honesty, are more lousy than Northerners. The Calmest People you could ever meet on earth is the Fulani. An average Fulani man rarely talks in public. In fact, being shy and calm is a defining future of "Fulaniness". Same goes for the Hausa and Kanuri...Northerners are not aggressive bro...
What's the essence of calmness when your people kill anyone that opposes their cattle grazing.

The fulanis need education and stop trying to manage that dead situation
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by fabianjay101(m): 10:31pm On Nov 06, 2017
non that I know of so far but to be realistic there are reasonable amount of very educated northerners out there but their uncontrollable population growth is the major problem in the north which they seriously need to start working on if not this will turnout to be National level of illiteracy not the northern level of illiteracy.... ✌
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by fabianjay101(m): 10:33pm On Nov 06, 2017
TundeHashim:

That's so true but they are silently deadly....
Re: What Measures Are The Northern Elite Taking To Tackle The High Level Of Illitera by Curlieweed: 10:40am On Nov 07, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
I need to resurrect this thread by reminding you that the Northern elites are not doing anything rather they are using their masses as cannon fodder for their wars or election

Madam,

Like I stated repeatedly, it's none of my business. And it doesn't concern you either. It's their problem. (If they created a Frankenstein, the monster will eventually turn on its creators). Let them solve it. We have more crucial issues to solve in our own communities to bother with theirs.

Koo N'ubi gi. Till your own garden.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi West Rejects Establishment Of Cattle Colonies - Sen. Dino Melaye / Igbo Presidency 2023 Poll: Who Would You Vote For? / Zamfara: Gold Mining By Ftos At The Heart Of The Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.