Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,147 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages (2974 Views)

The Lack Of Money Is The Major Problem That Destroys Marriages In Nigeria / Which Is Better Between Olden Days Marriage And Modern Day Marriage? / Why Do Girls Who Club & Sleep Around End In Better Marriages Than Church Girls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by wintersnow(m): 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2017
So I've been pondering over this issue for a while, cause the increase cases of divorce these days is just to much to comprehend, last week when I traveled to the village, I asked my granddad the same question... He said when he was much younger, one early in the morning he heard a knock on his door, and when went to checked he saw two women outside his door, before he knew what was happening, one of the ladies handed the other woman to him, and said to him "from today this is your wife" and that's how he married my Grandma, and he said from that day, they never had a quarrel till she died!
I was kinda shocked tho, cause these days we don't let our parents choose for us anymore, we make the choices ourselves and yet the rate of divorce cases keeps increasing on a daily basis!
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by nextprince: 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2017
Marriage then was for the formation of one family with the intent of being of mutual benefit while marriage today is purely business.
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2017
Because there were no Slay Queens back then

1 Like

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Draei: 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2017
Op, in 10 years time, marriage will be based
on each calender month. 0ne for January,
another for February....etc. Now that's evolution.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Niyeal(m): 8:18pm On Aug 07, 2017
no slay queen and olosho
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by MissRaine69(f): 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2017
1.Divorce was such a huge taboo
2.Couples got to know each other properly not these indomie courtships.
3. Being a divorced woman carried so much stigma
4. People want to be married but don't want to be in a relationship
5. It's for and better mindsets that prevails the part about better or worse does not exist for some
6. There are benefits for an easier divorce processes in the instance of abusive relationships , marital discord, unfaithfulness etc but most don't want to try anymore. It's easier to walk away

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by wintersnow(m): 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2017
nextprince:
Marriage then was for the formation of one family with the intent of being of mutual benefit while marriage today is purely business.

Well I think you're right, cause the rate divorce these days is quite alarming...
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by wintersnow(m): 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2017
MissRaine69:
5. It's for and better mindsets that prevails the part about better or worse does not exist for some
6. There are benefits for an easier divorce processes in the instance of abusive relationships , marital discord, unfaithfulness etc but most don't want to try anymore. It's easier to walk away

But divorce is still a huge taboo in Christendom in our present day
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by CAPSLOCKED: 8:27pm On Aug 07, 2017
MissRaine69:

[s]
6. There are benefits for an easier divorce processes in the instance of abusive relationships , marital discord, unfaithfulness etc but most don't want to try anymore. It's easier to walk away [/s]

THE WOMEN OF AFRICA WERE UNDER COMPLETE DICTATORSHIP.
WHERE THEY WERE MADE TO BELIEVE BY THEIR FAMILIES AND TRADITIONS, THAT BEING MARRIED EVEN AS THE 10TH WIFE WAS A PRIVILEGE, AND THE MERCY OF THE MEN.

NOTHING ELSE.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by MissRaine69(f): 8:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
wintersnow:

But divorce is still a huge taboo in Christendom in our present day
It's frowned upon BUT it's accepted albeit begrudgingly
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by sanpipita(m): 8:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
nextprince:

Most olden days marriages would have collapsed today I will tell why some old people stayed in their marriages not because they enjoyed it but was to avoid societal stigma divorcees face, previous generations saw divorce as a taboo which made people stick to their marriages even when its no longer Worth it, but today things have change people put their happiness above everything else which old marriages didn't really do.
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by wintersnow(m): 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2017
sanpipita:

Most olden days marriages would have collapsed today I will tell why some old people stayed in their marriages not because they enjoyed it but was to avoid societal stigma divorcees face, previous generations saw divorce as a taboo which made people stick to their marriages even when its no longer Worth it, but today things have change people put their happiness above everything else which old marriages didn't really do.

But from what my grandfather said, he said people enjoyed their marriages back then, Husbands and wives lived happily... Women were submissive to their husbands
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Martin0(m): 9:03pm On Aug 07, 2017
MissRaine69:
It's frowned upon BUT it's accepted albeit begrudgingly
Missrain can u be friends with this my friend
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by MissRaine69(f): 9:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

THE WOMEN OF AFRICA WERE UNDER COMPLETE DICTATORSHIP.
WHERE THEY WERE MADE TO BELIEVE BY THEIR FAMILIES AND TRADITIONS, THAT BEING MARRIED EVEN AS THE 10TH WIFE WAS A PRIVILEGE, AND THE MERCY OF THE MEN.

NOTHING ELSE.
Sure
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by MissRaine69(f): 9:28pm On Aug 07, 2017
Martin0:

Missrain can u be friends with this my friend
Which friend?
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by JERRY1925(m): 9:31pm On Aug 07, 2017
wintersnow:
So I've been pondering over this issue for a while, cause the increase cases of divorce these days is just to much to comprehend, last week when I traveled to the village, I asked my granddad the same question... He said when he was much younger, one early in the morning he heard a knock on his door, and when went to checked he saw two women outside his door, before he knew what was happening, one of the ladies handed the other woman to him, and said to him "from today this is your wife" and that's how he married my Grandma, and he said from that day, they never had a quarrel till she died!
I was kinda shocked tho, cause these days we don't let our parents choose for us anymore, we make the choices ourselves and yet the rate of divorce cases keeps increasing on a daily basis!

I have an answer,

equality...

women now want to feel what men should feel.

sometimes, I wonder why women in their normal senses would want to feel equal love with a guy..instead of them accepting the guy that genuinely love them, they want to b the one loving..why , I really don't know....love cannot b equal ...we cannot b equal.. women cannot b men...
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Martin0(m): 9:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
MissRaine69:
Which friend?
Hmmmm u grin I see something nowgrin I nor fit again abeg,
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by sanpipita(m): 9:48pm On Aug 07, 2017
wintersnow:

But from what my grandfather said, he said people enjoyed their marriages back then, Husbands and wives lived happily... Women were submissive to their husbands

They said so doesn't make it true, submission isn't a criteria for a long last marriage, a lot of old people won't marry or stick to it for long if they married today, most stayed unhappy and depressed but stuck on cos its what society expected them to do, today's society is getting less judgmental on divorces so people now dont stay in marriages they find suffocating
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Freak4achild(f): 10:43pm On Aug 07, 2017
Because there was no social media. Simple. I no get time to explain today.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:56pm On Aug 07, 2017
Social pressure.

Also, women mostly didn't have independent sources of income.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by MyNewJackeT: 11:05pm On Aug 07, 2017
because there were no condoms then.

and every woman knew the consequence of her actions.
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by LordKO(m): 11:26pm On Aug 07, 2017
The postulation that marriages of the yore lasted better than the ones of the new age is more of a fallacy than fact. What's a true fact is that an oppressed in the former class was likely to stay put, despite the oppression they suffered because most of them, especially the women victims, had no better options of comfort. Imagine a woman whose father had about 5 wives and 70 children all living in a thatched 2 bedroom house. . . I mean, such a woman had rather remain with a man that mistreat her, in a one bedroom thatched house with 1 per day meal than to go back to her family. Many in the yore only endured not tolerated nor happy in their homes then, because they had no wherewithals to fall back on. Closeness doesn't automatically mean loyalty.

Women's gradual emancipation is the reason why the new age marriage seems as if it's worse than the ones of the yore. For instance, if an evil personified man hypocritically managed to trick a virtuous woman with career into marriage before unleashing his evil attitudes, such a woman wouldn't have justifiable reasons to stay put in such marriage because she's the wherewithal to cater for herself.

The easiest way to reduce world poverty and domestic violence against women to the barest minimum is women empowerment which its end product is emancipation.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by pocohantas(f): 11:31pm On Aug 07, 2017
LordKO:
The postulation that marriages of the yore lasted better than the one's of the new age is more of a fallacy than fact. What's a true fact is that an oppressed in the former class was likely to stay put, despite the oppression they suffered, because most of them, especially the women victims, had no better options of comfort. Imagine a woman whose father had about 5 wives and 70 children all living in a thatched 2 bedroom house. . . I mean, such a woman had rather remain with a man that mistreat her, in a one bedroom thatched house with 1 per day meal than to go back to her family. Many in the yore only endured not tolerated nor happy in their homes then, because they had no wherewithals to fall back on. Closeness doesn't automatically mean loyalty.

Women gradual emancipation is the reason why the new age marriage seems as it's worse than the ones of the yore. For instance, if an evil personified man hypocritically managed to trick a virtuous woman with career into marriage before unleashing his evil attitudes, such a womanwouldn't have justifiable reasons to stay put in such marriage because she's the wherewithal to cater for herself.

The easiest way to reduce world poverty to the bearest minimum is women empowerment which its end product is emancipation.

Lord!!!!! This is brilliant!
I have been observing your post. Who are you? ? ??

I would like to know you better...but you seem so far away. Sadly I am short-sighted... cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by danchuzzy(m): 11:31pm On Aug 07, 2017
How would I know?

I leave in the present na
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by LordKO(m): 11:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
pocohantas:

Lord!!!!! This is brilliant!
I have been observing your post. Who are you? ? ??

I would like to know you better...but you seem so far away. Sadly I am short-sighted... cry

Believe you me, I'm right in front of your house. Lol.
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by pocohantas(f): 11:35pm On Aug 07, 2017
LordKO:

Believe you me, I'm right in front of your house. Lol.

You serious? What's the colour of my gate? grin
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by LordKO(m): 11:38pm On Aug 07, 2017
pocohantas:

You serious? What's the colour of my gate? grin

I won't say it loud because kidnappers are almost everywhere now. Safety first.
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by danchuzzy(m): 11:46pm On Aug 07, 2017
LordKO:

grin grin
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by pocohantas(f): 11:58pm On Aug 07, 2017
LordKO:

You're not there... angry
Maybe some other time, you'll come close enough...goodnight smiley smiley
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by LordKO(m): 12:07am On Aug 08, 2017
pocohantas:

You're not there... angry
Maybe some other time, you'll come close enough...goodnight smiley smiley

You'll sure see me soon. Good night too.
Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by CheedyJ(m): 12:28am On Aug 08, 2017
Majority of d marriages then was more of suffering & smiling especially on d part of d women...women had no say bkus d husbands were more or less 'gods'...so,dey(d women) had no choice Dan suck wateva bullshits dia hubby threw at dem..back den,women had no education, no properties whatsoever...so,how do u expect dem to leave their marriages wen dey av nothing to go back to...but these days, civilization thru education has empowered more women.more wives are now learned, can own properties, etc,as such,dey av things to fall back on shud dia hubbies misbehave as most did in d past .hence,d seemingly increment in divorce rates in Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages by Me77: 1:14am On Aug 08, 2017
After having the amount of children you want from a marriage "transaction", yes a transaction, that's what marriage is nowadays. What else do you want from the so called wife. The right thing to do is to kick her out of your life and take proper charge of the children.
This is what most wise men do, hence the high rate of divorce. Life is to short, never compromise your happiness with any human, let her go and experience freedom.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This Age Gap Too Much? / What Is Our Davido Doing With This Lady? / 8 Photos Of Cynthia Morgan That’ll Give You Instant Head Turn – Don’t Look If Yo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.