Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ (12078 Views)

Fifth Term Lagos Deputy Speaker Defeated Along Other APC Candidates / Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City / LAGOS Is World's 3rd Worst City To Live In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Tuyis: 6:55pm On Feb 13, 2010
I like Lagos, but it is definitely the most chaotic place I've ever seen in my life.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by babapupa: 6:56pm On Feb 13, 2010
Last thing we wanna worry our heads about is some news about one of the lousiest cities in the world.

The best cities in the world are centuries/hundreds of years old with billions of dollars to work with in terms of annual budget. Also, most of them are not burdened with 18 million people.

We're not pretending to be what we're not and the most important thing is the fact that we are moving in the right direction.

We'll get there, it's just a matter of time.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 13, 2010
Sprumbaba:

Then, you must have come from another slum.

more like you dont prefer cant afford to stay anywhere but in the worst slums

its called gutter sniffing

there was a campaign called clean up mushin last year. Was your behind there?
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by samsanyus(m): 7:00pm On Feb 13, 2010
What if Fasola didn't do anything to change the face of lagos towards a mega city. What I know is that we can make our lagos a better place. Eko oni baje!
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 13, 2010
and @ slumbaba- abeg carry your back and forth comot for road oh angry angry
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by ibabalol: 7:03pm On Feb 13, 2010
yorubas are educated and wealthier than hausas but they are not as smart as the housas thats why lagos is a slum and abuja and kaduna are better
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by EzeUche(m): 7:05pm On Feb 13, 2010
Victoria Island is very nice! cheesy

I enjoy staying there! However, I prefer Abuja and the East over Lagos.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by ibabalol: 7:07pm On Feb 13, 2010
there is no good city in the east
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Sprumbaba: 7:10pm On Feb 13, 2010
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by babapupa: 7:11pm On Feb 13, 2010
How come every time we talk about Lagos, most of the negatives comments are authored by Igbo folks?

I guess it's just freeking too hard to hide the bad bele, Must be reaaly fcu.ked to be an easterner, lol.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Afam4eva(m): 7:11pm On Feb 13, 2010
Why do Nigerians keep telling themselves lies. I'm quite surprise why Lagos is not even the worse city in Lagos. Thos that are saying Lagos can be compared to new york are only fooling themselves.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 7:12pm On Feb 13, 2010
For them to compare Lagos to other developed cities, that means Lagos is recognized for the most part which is good even though we are not there yet. However, according factors which they were compared to, that is somewhat true. You guys call New York city, wait till u step in DC (capital of the U.S), then you would have much to say. Just like Lagos or New York or DC, they all have their good and terrible places. Although I've not been to Lagos recently, but SE/SW DC is no better either.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by EzeUche(m): 7:12pm On Feb 13, 2010
babapupa:

How come every time we talk about Lagos, most of the negatives comments are authored by Igbo folks?

I guess it's just freeking too hard to hide the bad bele, Must be reaaly fcu.ked to be an easterner, lol.

Come to Calabar or Enugu and make that statement!  angry
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Tuyis: 7:13pm On Feb 13, 2010
ibabalol:

yorubas are educated and wealthier than hausas but they are not as smart as the housas thats why lagos is a slum and abuja and kaduna are better

I think you are just trying to be provocative, there is absolutely no sense in what you just wrote.
Why must everything boil down to tribalism. Lagos is what it is due to neglect period.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 7:14pm On Feb 13, 2010
babapupa:

Why do u call the igbo folks? Not to degrade Lagos, but how does Lagos differentiate itself from the cities it was compared to?
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Afam4eva(m): 7:15pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

For them to compare Lagos to other developed cities, that means Lagos is recognized for the most part which is good even though we are not there yet. However, according factors which they were compared to, that is somewhat true. You guys call New York city, wait till u step in DC (capital of the U.S), then you would have much to say. Just like Lagos or New York or DC, they all have their good and terrible places. Although I've not been to Lagos recently, but SE/SW DC is no better either.

It's simply because Lagos is a megacity, there's no doubt about that. Why do u think cities like calabar was not considered. Lagos has the population but that does not take away the fact that it's a slum.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by babapupa: 7:17pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

Why do u call the igbo folks? Not to degrade Lagos, but how does Lagos differentiate itself from the cities it was compared to?

Because they obviously don't know how to hide their bad bele. They often  come off as very insecure, disgruntled and petty.

Last thing we wanna worry our heads about is some news about one of the lousiest cities in the world.

The best cities in the world are centuries/hundreds of years old with billions of dollars to work with in terms of annual budget. Also, most of them are not burdened with 18 million people.

We're not pretending to be what we're not and the most important thing is the fact that we are moving in the right direction.

Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by soulamanne(m): 7:18pm On Feb 13, 2010
yet they will not srop troopin in to make money and cart them to their very clean cities, tell them to file be!eko o ni baje for realfashola carry go.enemy ma te
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2010
afam4eva:

It's simply because Lagos is a megacity, there's no doubt about that. Why do u think cities like calabar was not considered. Lagos has the population but that does not take away the fact that it's a slum.

I wouldn't call Lagos a Mega city  for so many reasons, and that is the point I'm trying to make.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by babapupa: 7:21pm On Feb 13, 2010
afam4eva:

Unfortunately for you, one man's slum is another man's paradise.

Good or bad and unlike many states/cities in Nigeria, 18 million Nigerians still prefer to call Lagos home.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Tuyis: 7:22pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

I wouldn't call Lagos a Mega city  for so many reasons, and that is the point I'm trying to make.

And what would be your criteria for a mega city.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 7:22pm On Feb 13, 2010
babapupa:

Because they obviously don't know how to hide their bad bele. They often  come off as very insecure, disgruntled and petty.

Did u say billions of dollars? Nah don't agree and u say 18million residents? Talk about the state of CA, I don't think number of people really counts.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 7:24pm On Feb 13, 2010
Tuyis:

And what would be your criteria for a mega city.

Lagos is a city and if you know the answer to what a city is defined as, then you define what the term "MEGA" is in the context of city, that should give you your broad definition of what a mega city is.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Afam4eva(m): 7:26pm On Feb 13, 2010
The only thing that differentiates lagos from all other cities in nigeria is simply the fact that there are more opportunies. NYC has so many opportunities like lagos plus it's liveable. meaning it has the characteristics of a sub.urb
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Tuyis: 7:34pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

Lagos is a city and if you know the answer to what a city is defined as, then you define what the term "MEGA" is in the context of city, that should give you your broad definition of what a mega city is.

I will take your answer as you don't really know or not sure. The following definition of a Mega city was taken from Wikipedia. Do you think it also applies to Lagos or not.

A megacity is usually defined as a metropolitan area with a total population in excess of 10 million people.[1] Some definitions also set a minimum level for population density (at least 2,000 persons/square km).[citation needed] Megacities can be distinguished from global cities by their rapid growth, new forms of spatial population density, and both formal and informal economy, as well as poverty, crime, and high levels of social fragmentation. A megacity can be a single metropolitan area or two or more metropolitan areas that converge. The terms conurbation, metropolis and metroplex are also applied to the latter. The terms megapolis and megalopolis are sometimes used synonymously with megacity.[citation needed]
In 2000, there were 18 megacities – conurbations such as Tokyo, New York City, and Mexico City had populations in excess of 10 million inhabitants. Greater Tokyo already has 35 million, which is greater than the entire population of Canada.[2]
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 7:45pm On Feb 13, 2010
Tuyis:

I will take your answer as you don't really know or not sure. The following definition of a Mega city was taken from Wikipedia. Do you think it also applies to Lagos or not.

A megacity is usually defined as a metropolitan area with a total population in excess of 10 million people.[1] Some definitions also set a minimum level for population density (at least 2,000 persons/square km).[citation needed] Megacities can be distinguished from global cities by their rapid growth, new forms of spatial population density, and both formal and informal economy, as well as poverty, crime, and high levels of social fragmentation. A megacity can be a single metropolitan area or two or more metropolitan areas that converge. The terms conurbation, metropolis and metroplex are also applied to the latter. The terms megapolis and megalopolis are sometimes used synonymously with megacity.[citation needed]
In 2000, there were 18 megacities – conurbations such as Tokyo, New York City, and Mexico City had populations in excess of 10 million inhabitants. Greater Tokyo already has 35 million, which is greater than the entire population of Canada.[2]

Dude are you for real? You use Wikipedia as your source of information?

Well I would define in my own words what makes a mega city. A Megacity is one which has to meet not one but several criteria such as population growth, commerce, dependence on technology, and its impact in economical development, etc. Lagos met the criteria on the part of it reaching more than 10millions, that's it? In terms of commerce, what is the percentage and volume of commerce is concentrated in Lagos? How far has Lagos reached on its dependence of technology? What is the economical development of Lagos, lets talk about standards of living. How much has Lagos economy impacted the nation as a whole because that is what a Megacity does.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by InfoHelper: 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2010
so what happns now, 10 million people say eko o ni baje. who is right.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Tuyis: 7:56pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

Dude are you for real? You use Wikipedia as your source of information?

Well I would define in my own words what makes a mega city. A Megacity is one which has to meet not one but several criteria such as population growth, commerce, dependence on technology, and its impact in economical development, etc. Lagos met the criteria on the part of it reaching more than 10millions, that's it? In terms of commerce, what is the percentage and volume of commerce is concentrated in Lagos? How far has Lagos reached on its dependence of technology?

Why did I know you will say that. Discredit the source of the information rather than the facts, classic. Unfortunately the world is not seen through your own lenses alone. I did not write the wiki definition, it was probably written by several people.

If your criteria about commerce is anything to go by then cities like Kolkata, manila, Mexico city and Lagos will not be on the same list of Mega cities as Tokyo, New York, London, Osaka etc.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by edoyad(m): 8:01pm On Feb 13, 2010
How much does Lagos affect Nigeria's economy ? 60% of Nigeria's VAT is collected from Lagos.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by manny4life(m): 8:09pm On Feb 13, 2010
Tuyis:

Why did I know you will say that. Discredit the source of the information rather than the facts, classic. Unfortunately the world is not seen through your own lenses alone. I did not write the wiki definition, it was probably written by several people.

If your criteria about commerce is anything to go by then cities like Kolkata, manila, Mexico city and Lagos will not be on the same list of Mega cities as Tokyo, New York, London, Osaka etc.      

What source? What facts precisely? If you don't know people like you and I post and edit wiki pages, know it now. Wiki is an untrusted and biased source of information. I'm not an economist, but I would define what my developmental economist perhaps my instructors would have. Like you said the world is not seen from my lenses alone, you answered your own question right there.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Feb 13, 2010
manny4life:

What source? What facts precisely? If you don't know people like you and I post and edit wiki pages, know it now. Wiki is an untrusted and biased source of information. I'm not an economist, but I would define what my developmental economist perhaps my instructors would have. Like you said the world is not seen from my lenses alone, you answered your own question right there.

I guess you're the trusted one, pls stop displaying your ignorance in public.
Re: Lagos Rated ‘fifth Worst City’ by Redman44(m): 8:14pm On Feb 13, 2010
Has anyone noticed that London [ England ] was not mentioned in the survey? I smile in cockney smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BON/NEDG Vice-Presidential Debate: Official Thread / Describe Nigeria In Few Sentences........... / Nigeria Is Finished! I Am Ashamed Of My Country - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.