Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. (4504 Views)

How Can I Express My Feelings To A Girl I Love / How Can I Express Love On Valentine’s Day / How Can I Express Love On Valentine’s Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by kirchofff(m): 10:19am On Aug 09, 2017
Don't know if this is the right section.
I can express myself a lot better through writing than I can through talking. I enjoy writing and I like to think I am good at it. When I write, I sound intelligent, and can get my point across effectively. However, every time I open my mouth to speak, I sound like a total idiot. Everything always comes out wrong; nothing ever comes out right. I can never get across what I am trying to convey. People never "get the point" of what I am saying; it's very frustrating. I have a lot of intelligent thoughts and good ideas, but if I try to express them verbally, it always sounds really garbled and disjointed. What is VERY frustrating is when I am right and the other person is wrong, but because they can express themselves verbally and I cannot, it ends up looking like they know a lot more than I do. I am eloquent when I write, but when I talk, I stammer and fumble and look like a fool. I almost need an interpreter because I can never make myself be understood, and the other person always has some quick, smart-sounding answer and I feel like they have "shown me up". I sometimes wish I were a mute, because talking always frustrates me. How do I overcome this? Anyone been through this?

3 Likes

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by CheeBoo(m): 10:27am On Aug 09, 2017
One significant characteristic of introverts is that they are always great writers. This is chiefly because introverts do not fancy talking much and so as a result, they channel that energy into less 'extrovertal' traits such as writing.

But then, majority of the channels of breakthroughs that are common in this country have to do with talking.

So I would advise that while you hone your writing skills, you should also endeavor to develop your verbal communication skills as well.

Also, never allow your inconsistencies with respect to speech deter you from expressing yourself when the need arises.

Try to calm down by taking breaths at interval, make sure your opening words catches the attention of your audience, and take charge of your buccal cavity.

5 Likes

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 09, 2017
Ftc

anyways before i comment on the ish, how old are you really?
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by MyNewJackeT: 10:30am On Aug 09, 2017
I feel your pain bro,

I have an uncle who always corrects me, every time I speak to him, he never went to school but learnt everything from life's experiences, I've graduated, so maybe he believes I'm competing with him, I know how to write very well too, I've edited books online for upcoming authors and got paid so many times. i also write articles for some blogs and get paid for it, but this man makes me so uncomfortable anytime he comes to visit.
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by cruzita(f): 10:31am On Aug 09, 2017
I HAVE SAME PRB TOO,BUT DURING ARGUMENT,WHILE D OTHER PARTY IS TALKING,I USE DAT OPPORTUNITY TO GATHER POINTS AND PRACTICE HOW 2 SAY IT
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Lalas247(f): 10:34am On Aug 09, 2017
Many are out there mute praying to God for one day to speak
And you are here wishing it on yourself .. you are just timid but express yourself better with written words .. less flaws maybe but there is absolutely nothing wrong

My bro hates talking that's cause when he speaks no one understands him, he talks way to fast not a big deal but when it comes to writing or typing he can do it for Naija lol wink
Do you stutter?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by jonathanOz: 10:58am On Aug 09, 2017
Start small. From making small conversations to engaging in prolonged ones, you begin to improve. Join groups and societies and attend meetings. You can volunteer to be a secretary (by writing minutes and reading them out you begin to improve). Just start small

1 Like

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 09, 2017
Except the OP and few others, most people here would never understand his plight.

3 Likes

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by kodath(f): 11:36am On Aug 09, 2017
sorry about that...you can always have a starting point,,start now it is never too late to learn
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by ggrin(f): 11:40am On Aug 09, 2017
cry cry cry cry cry cry

Same old shii cry cry cry
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Rukkydelta(f): 1:02pm On Aug 09, 2017
Op you aren't alone. I'm also like that though I can maintain good conversation speaking with those close to me

1 Like

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by swiz123(m): 1:25pm On Aug 09, 2017
Stand in front of a mirror and practice.Try to speak aloud with your mouth wide open,that way you won't fumble with words

1 Like

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
From the way you write its obvious you can express your thoughts very well, so I think lack of confidence is the reason why u can't do so verbally or maybe the pple you talk to are not really up to your level and you struggle to come down to their level. Whatever the case maybe you can improve your speech capabilities by watching movies with good dialogues, reading books etc.

3 Likes

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by EmpressT(f): 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
That's how I feel too. I am a born introvert and I love to express myself more in writing than talking. Some people feel I am too boring to be mingled with and this hurts me so bad. Well, I guess I am not the type of person who associates with people. But when it comes to family circle, I can talk for africa hmmm.... No so e be o

kirchofff:
I can express myself a lot better through writing than I can through talking. I enjoy writing and I like to think I am good at it. When I write, I sound intelligent, and can get my point across effectively. However, every time I open my mouth to speak, I sound like a total idiot. Everything always comes out wrong; nothing ever comes out right. I can never get across what I am trying to convey. People never "get the point" of what I am saying; it's very frustrating. I have a lot of intelligent thoughts and good ideas, but if I try to express them verbally, it always sounds really garbled and disjointed. What is VERY frustrating is when I am right and the other person is wrong, but because they can express themselves verbally and I cannot, it ends up looking like they know a lot more than I do. I am eloquent when I write, but when I talk, I stammer and fumble and look like a fool. I almost need an interpreter because I can never make myself be understood, and the other person always has some quick, smart-sounding answer and I feel like they have "shown me up". I sometimes wish I were a mute, because talking always frustrates me. How do I overcome this? Anyone been through this?

1 Like

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by EmpressT(f): 1:32pm On Aug 09, 2017
Thank you...

CheeBoo:
One significant characteristic of introverts is that they are always great writers. This is chiefly because introverts do not fancy talking much and so as a result, they channel that energy into less 'extrovertal' traits such as writing.

But then, majority of the channels of breakthroughs that are common in this country have to do with talking.

So I would advise that while you hone your written skills, you should also endeavor to develop your verbal communication skills as well.

Also, never allow your inconsistencies with respect to speech deter you from expressing yourself when the need arises.

Try to calm down by taking breaths at interval, make sure your opening words catches the attention of your audience, and take charge of your buccal cavity.
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by kirchofff(m): 2:07pm On Aug 09, 2017
Lalas247:
Many are out there mute praying to God for one day to speak
And you are here wishing it on yourself .. you are just timid but express yourself better with written words .. less flaws maybe but there is absolutely nothing wrong

My bro hates talking that's cause when he speaks no one understands him, he talks way to fast not a big deal but when it comes to writing or typing he can do it for Naija lol wink
Do you stutter?
no, I dont. I just dont find the right words to express myself and I make a lot of errors.I try to speak fast. Thanks for your concern.

2 Likes

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Dynamitechick(f): 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2017
Practice...the more you do something the more you figure out better ways to do it
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by terencemall: 1:38pm On Nov 27, 2019
I agree that introverts have better developed writing skills in comparison with speaking. But generally, when we try to compare these two process (speaking and writing), one of them will be always easier in term of self-expressing and delivering information to the audience. Psychologists say it's because thinking precedes writing naturally and Steven Pinker proved that in his research paper. I've been always wondering why famous writers and playwrights do not sound so smart as their heroes and characters. By the way, JK Rowling is an introvert too and she was too shy to ask for a pen, when she wanted to write down her ideas.

https://dkatague./2010/03/15/why-are-novel-writers-bad-public-speakers https://www.writemyessayfast.ca/write-my-essay-in-6-hours.php

1 Like

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by shestrong(f): 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2019
CheeBoo:

So I would advise that while you hone your writing skills, you should also endeavor to develop your verbal communication skills as well.

Thank you.
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by shestrong(f): 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2019
swiz123:
Stand in front of a mirror and practice.Try to speak aloud with your mouth wide open,that way you won't fumble with words

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Starz825(m): 8:20pm On Nov 27, 2019
kirchofff:
You can't be a good writer if u not a good reader...
You can't be a good speaker if u not a good listener.
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by kirchofff(m): 10:09pm On Nov 28, 2019
Starz825:

You can't be a good writer if u not a good reader...
You can't be a good speaker if u not a good listener.
what did you smoke??
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by Starz825(m): 11:55pm On Nov 28, 2019
kirchofff:
what did you smoke??
I know what am saying..if u have any issue with that..then let's have you...

Before u can be able to speak with people or before people then u must have heard people speak with great charisma and boldness..that's exactly where ur inspiration would come from...
Re: I Express Myself Better In Writing Than In Speaking. by sykeng(m): 8:42am On Nov 29, 2019
Op, you have to speak and care less about what people think about you. I'm a chronic stutterer and introvert, there are some persons who hated me for nothing just because they don't like d way I speak, especially females but when they know me in person and know the kinda guy I am, they change their orientation by then I have already closed the door against them.

What you also need is practice!!!!!!!! And don't feel shy/intimidated for any reason, there was a time I wanted to teach in a private school just to overcome my speech impairment, because of my busy schedule I couldn't meet up. While I develop this method was during my post graduate studies, my first presentation was horrible, I was laughed at to the extent my lecturer told me that post graduate is not for everybody. Within me I know my ability, I told some of my close pals that I wanted to quit, they encouraged me and remind me of who I am. We presented assignments almost every week, to my greatest surprise I saw a lot of improvements to the extent anytime there is presentation I would be happy and I look forward to improving on my self.

That's why I always tell people that speaking can never be a yardstick for intelligence.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can My Wife Cheat On My Back, My Wife Pics Attached / Ladies Check + rate Delicious South Africa mmen here / My Girlfriend Cries All The Time Is It Normal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.