Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? (20795 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi's Tweets About The Revival Of The Eastern Ports. / Eastern Ports Revival: How NPA, Hull Blyth, Maersk, Others Are Pulling Through / Why Vessels Avoid Eastern Ports — NPA Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Amberon11: 3:51am On Aug 10, 2017
Per the bolded, this op is a mischief maker and isn't liberal. Opening a thread on this will be pointless as it will only resort to tribal bashing and e-brawls.

He has nothing to counter, only tantrums to throw around.

IgboSubmarine:
Blue3k. I am still waiting for you to counter the answer released by Amberon11 concerning why Onne seaport is not import oriented like that of Lagos seaport.

At least, Amberon11 is awake to counter you.

Amberon11 pls create a thread for this so that Blue3k won't keep deceiving people.

3 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by diadem10: 4:00am On Aug 10, 2017
Amberon11:
Fallacy. I will advice you get your facts right. Before crude oil exploration the largest source of revenue was oil palm from the SS and there are facts that prove this.

Oil palm was also produced in the west, Ondo state to be precise. So you should be the one to get your fact right.

When we combine revenues from Cocoa, limestone, timber and palm oil, I see nothing comparable from what the east produce. Should I remind you it was Zik who clamoured for 1 nigeria even when the North and the west opposed them? Why did you think he did this? Because the then eastern part had little revenues.

5 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by IgboSubmarine: 4:16am On Aug 10, 2017
Go to this thread below to see the Real conspiracy against the Eastern seaports

https://www.nairaland.com/3978472/real-conspiracy-against-eastern-seaports#59322404
Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Markfemi: 4:25am On Aug 10, 2017
Ereolamide:
Victim and persecution complex pigbos, we need your attention on this thread to explain to us how Yorubas are responsible for the marginalization of eastern ports.

If not for this thread I would have believed that no single ship berths in any other port aside Lagos ports.

ibo is extremly jealous of yoruba economic supremacy

7 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by castrokins(m): 4:26am On Aug 10, 2017
This Much (Shallow Calabar & Delta) Was Known From The Onset. So Why Was The Ibaka Deep Seaport Proposal Jettisoned?

Blue3k:

They won't since they only know how wail. Fact is Eastern ports like Calabar and Delta general are shallow. Then if you look at the trend in traffic One port is 2nd highest tonnage annually. In non oil the trend is better. The federal government only mistake was wasting time approving shallow ports instead of focusing big on the picture being deep seaport.

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 4:31am On Aug 10, 2017
castrokins:
This Much (Shallow & Delta) Was Known From The Onset. So Why Was The Ibaka Deep Seaport Proposal Jettisoned?

If your asking about military rule. It's because they are dumb. It your asking about during 16 years of PDP it because reps didn't push hard. If your talking about now it's under development. Akwa still not a building phase yet. The majority of money is supposed to come from private sources then state and federal government.

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 4:33am On Aug 10, 2017
joeyfire:

So all the facts here are you much for your brain to carry....

Your people have done dirt, used policies to sabotage others and you call it policy. Wicked and devilish lot

See Apapa port express road today upon all una scheming, betrayal and port monopoly. Kwakwakwakwa.

Yet this same apapa port with its horrible road is still strong enough to marginalize and emasculate you? This is actually an indictment on you and puts a lie to the nonsense you've been wailing about since.

You must indeed be useless, shameless and hopeless!!

7 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Markfemi: 4:34am On Aug 10, 2017
Ekinematics:
Op I don't know what you mean by eastern ports.
Rivers and Onne ports are in Rivers State.
Calabar and Delta ports are in Cross River and Delta states respectively.
So please what's eastern about these ports?

so you mean to tell me niger delta has 4 seaports while yoruba land has only two

3 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Markfemi: 4:37am On Aug 10, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

No, he did not. We will agree to disagree cos no way in hell I'm buying that. Mapping out areas around Isolo, Ilupeju and Ikeja for industries to build is hardly greater in scale than what the FG did in Lagos. I'd say not even close. What even initially started all this back-and-forth was the incredible claim that FG only built 3rd Mainland bridge and FESTAC in Lagos in 77 years of occupation. grin

You can't wait for 100% resource control? Let's not kid ourselves: Ondo, Osun, Oyo, and Ekiti would be in massive trouble without allocations from the centre. Those same states often struggle to pay ordinary salary. Even Ogun, while not finished, will be in severe recession.

another fat lie
under restructing we will earn money from our borders
oyo borders alone generated over 120bn in h1 2016
talkess of resources in Ondo
we will open another port in Ondo
we can use the excess funds from Lagos Ogun Oyo Ondo to take care of Osun and ekiti
also Kwara and Kogi Yoruba will be gateway to trading with north west nigeria
we will make monry off all the local companies in ogun
55% of nigeria vat comes from lagos 76% tax from yoruba land which accounts for 3tn
its more than enough for us.

6 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Markfemi: 4:43am On Aug 10, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You've just yourself described the sabotage. I mentioned the massive infrastructural advantage Lagos has. Sure, Apapa and some Federal roads in Lagos look appalling, but the state of the Federal roads in Rivers, and other SS states makes Lagos look like the German Autobahn. I've heard the bureaucratic bottlenecks in Lagos are also considerable easier to scale. And that specific import products have to come through Lagos ports. The geographic advantage is undeniable, but that isn't all there is to it.

I'm not sure who the bolded is directed at, but who was stating only Igbos import?

They have changed narrative again

3 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Markfemi: 4:47am On Aug 10, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
No work no pay.
All the states you mentioned have the potential to find their way out of any financial crises.
And to even include Ondo state and Ogun state is not right.
The custom in Ogun generates over 13 billion naira monthly if I am not mistaken, just count it as part of our resources.
Ondo state the last time I checked produce more oil than Abia, Omo, Anambra and any state in the east individually. If those states are not worth profiling as states that would suffer, I don't think Ondo is.
Lagos VAT is almost enough to make them okay.
Apart from Ekiti and Osun, which you can be rest assured will both be taken good care of through the proposed regional arrangement, I don't see why any Yoruba state should suffer.
Moreover, we won't agree to any arrangement that doesn't include Yoruba speaking part of Kogi and Kwara.
And I hope you know the potentials of those two states even though they are currently plagued by useless governors.

yoruba nations starting from lagos to kwara will be the best thing to happen to africa we will be a $500bn in 10 years

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by victord1st: 5:35am On Aug 10, 2017
Blue3k:

Only Onne export more than it brings in which is good thing. Exports means more foreign exchange. Then it proves if you want bring things in your free to. There's nothing stopping anyone. Shippers making business decisions doesn't imply the port is dysfunctional.

Young man,I imported footwear (CKD) via onne port in 2014, I had to pay 50% more to clear my goods.Since then I stopped using that port.

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by victord1st: 5:41am On Aug 10, 2017
omohayek:

The trouble with all the ridiculous talk of "marginalization" with regards to ports is that those who say such things forget an important reality: even if ports like Onne and Rivers are perfectly fine and dandy, the most important consumer markets in Nigeria are in the SW, and importers have to cater to that reality in making their plans; in addition, the SW is the main gateway to the northern part of the country. Online tribal warriors with nothing personally at stake can afford to ignore such commercial realities, but businessmen who are looking to find buyers for their imports are not going to waste their time going through Onne or Rivers, and then deal with the hassle of transferring their goods over the River Niger and through the Benin to Ore road all the way to Ibadan and Lagos, when they could achieve the same end goal much more easily by simply bringing the goods in through Lagos or even Cotonou.

Next time try to argue with facts! Your opinion of lagos proximity to the north is flawed.The FG deliberately made clearing through Eastern port very expensive with loads of bottlenecks.Most imported consumer goods meant to be sold in the East were routed via lagos port and further trucked to the east because its fare cheaper than using any of the eastern port.Be informed that business is all about making more profit and cutting cost though I don't expect you to understand this fact ,you probably have been working as an employee all your life. It's obvious even to the blind that all the eastern port was deliberately built to facilitate export of mostly crude oil and The FG has covertly frustrated importers from using it through higher tariffs,delays and sometimes deliberately making it insecure thereby leaving it at the mercy of the pirates and militia.
Cc:blue3k

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 5:59am On Aug 10, 2017
victord1st:

Young man,I imported footwear (CKD) via onne port in 2014, I had to pay 50% more to clear my goods.Since then I stopped using that port.

Still doesn't make it dysfunctional. Can you tell us the extra charges they tacked on. I doubt you have the links or receipt since it happened 3 years ago. Ports can have many reasons the cost can very but generally I don't see any rule or regulations making any port cost more than other. Check NPA Tarrif regulations yourself.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/uploads/Tariffs/2017TARIFF.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjdje-_8svVAhVC6IMKHVZ5Bf4QFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNESMaV8QNtXpqpXUN9ZeVX2dN3O6g

honeychild:

This guy. Forced by whom? In 2016 I had to import some books from China. My shipper had both options. Onne and Lagos. I spoke to CFI a clearing agent based in Port Harcourt. They assured me I could import to Onne.

I chose to import to Lagos because I figured that all these Igbo importers who import to Lagos must have a reason for doing that. I had no experience in importation and was not going to take the risk.

What I am trying to say is that I personally found no reason why Onne is not being used.

I just wish you could give us a picture link that we can confirm blocking out sensitive details of course. What was cost difference for you in 2016 if you remember?

3 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by victord1st: 6:04am On Aug 10, 2017
Honeychild could not afford any risk but I like trying new things hence the reason I have come to discover the actual reason most importer(even the eastern based) would prefer Lagos to any eastern ports.
Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by victord1st: 6:10am On Aug 10, 2017
Blue3k:

Still doesn't make it dysfunctional. Can you tell us the extra charges they tacked on. I doubt you have the links or receipt since it happened 3 years ago. Ports can have many reasons the cost can very but generally I don't see any rule or regulations making any port cost more than other. Check NPA Tarrif regulations yourself.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/uploads/Tariffs/2017TARIFF.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjdje-_8svVAhVC6IMKHVZ5Bf4QFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNESMaV8QNtXpqpXUN9ZeVX2dN3O6g

I just wish you could give us a picture link that we can confirm blocking out sensitive details of course. What was cost difference for you in 2016 if you remember?

I can't give succinct details of what actually transpired then like you said it's a long time ago and besides an ugly experience is better forgotten anyways, but I think it's bothers around higher berthing fees and multiple charges.
Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by dudebuck: 6:16am On Aug 10, 2017
somebody hasn't travelled out of Ibadam but cast aspirations and pull statistics from the anus and pass it on as facts, have you gone to these ports before? The only activities going on in ie Oron is those small boats that carry people from Oron to ie Cameroun, Gabon or Congo, I have never seen big container ships from say Europe pe Asia berth either in PH or Oron. Why? they do not have the facilities and infrastructures that are in Lagos ports, I mean, why should a business man take the longer route? If something is not wrong somewhere, I thought that in Business you spend as little as possible and try to gain as much as possible. So please OP STFU.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by honeychild(f): 6:22am On Aug 10, 2017
Blue3k:

I never went beyond inquiry stage with the clearing agent in Port Harcourt. I remember even trying to get some information online then about why exactly the Onne Port wasn't used. I never found any.

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 6:23am On Aug 10, 2017
victord1st:

Next time try to argue with facts! Your opinion of lagos proximity to the north is flawed.The FG deliberately made clearing through Eastern port very expensive with loads of bottlenecks.Most imported consumer goods meant to be sold in the East were routed via lagos port and further trucked to the east because its fare cheaper than using any of the eastern port.Be informed that business is all about making more profit and cutting cost though I don't expect you to understand this fact ,you probably have been working as an employee all your life. It's obvious even to the blind that all the eastern port was deliberately built to facilitate export of mostly crude oil and The FG has covertly frustrated importers from using it through higher tariffs,delays and sometimes deliberately making it insecure thereby leaving it at the mercy of the pirates and militia.
Cc:blue3k

WHY DO MANY NIGERIANS SHIP TO Lome and Cotonou but not to Douala?? The FG does not operate either in Cotonou nor Doula so the conspiracy theory fails
The issue is not just proximity but historical.

The north exported groundnut pyramids for decades through Lagos and not POrt Harcourt. If you wanted to travel by train frro Lagos to Port Harcourt you had to go to Kaduna and then come back down.Was that a conspiracy.
Your images showing travels times by the way is based on assumptions about distance aand not the reality of road conditions

The idea that they deliberately made it more expensive is childish and probably reflects your age.In the 70s under Gowon Lagos was congested and Ships were delayed for months at the ports in LAgos and as result the demurrage scam started. people would ship empty containers just to be able to reclaim demurrage chages from the FG>

That was under the leaderhip of Bamanga Tukur. The FG therefore was motivated to open other ports so as to stop paying these ridiculous charges and that is how Onne came about so the idea that the FG would then sabotage itself is very silly.
You obviously have never shipped before.

The main cost with shipping are

Shipping charge
to the shipping company which reflects their costs ,demand and supply and risk perception.Ships carry very heavy loads and the further they travel the ore fuel they burn. Accra is cheaper than Lome is cheaper than Lagos is cheaper than Port Harcourt is cheaper than Douala.
Import duty which is the same everywhere
Port(NPA charges) which are a very small fraction of the total charge and so is not particularly relevant.
Clearing agent charges(separate from all fees) Clearing agents find there is more business in Lagos fo them and prefer to reside there.
There are many airports in the US on the East Coat but Atlanta is usually cheaper than most is itt sabotage?

Flying to London is cheaper that flying to Manchester is it sabotage?

No it simply reflects demand and supply

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Nobody: 6:26am On Aug 10, 2017
Markfemi:

so you mean to tell me niger delta has 4 seaports while yoruba land has only two

What's the shoreline of yorubaland as compared to Niger Delta?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 6:33am On Aug 10, 2017
Ekinematics:

What's the shoreline of yorubaland as compared to Niger Delta?
Niger Delta is part of the Yorubaland so your comparison is meaningless.

ualitatively The Shoreline of Yorubalan is the best for sea ports:Direct access to the sea with few mangroves and creeks.The Shoreline of Ondo state is the longest in the country and the best suited for Sea ports.

3 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 6:33am On Aug 10, 2017
Markfemi:

There's a story behind that.

Western Ports before reforms comprised of four Ports namely Lagos Port, Tin Can Island Port, Container Terminal Port and RoRo Port. The former four port structure was changed by the Port reform to a two-port structure known as Lagos Ports Complex and Tin Can Island Port Complex.

source: http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/WPorts.aspx?Pid=338

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by caleboxylic: 6:38am On Aug 10, 2017
Blue3k:

Go apologize to who ever wasted money on your education. Is liquid bulk equipment and tools. You guys and these clown responses.

Keep disgracing yourself. Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools used in oil and gas industry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 6:41am On Aug 10, 2017
caleboxylic:

Keep disgracing yourself. Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools used in oil and gas industry.
Not true

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 6:42am On Aug 10, 2017
caleboxylic:

[s]Keep disgracing yourself. Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools used in oil and gas industry.[/s]

Aye so I guess this guy is a liar on this thread who imported shoes. Lol guy your ineptitude is a vast as ocean. Those NPA Stats are lies because you the ignorant man thinks Liquid bulk is machinery and tools.

What a chore it must of been to raise an educate you. The probably needed to cane the knowledge into your skull. This is truly shallow and pathetic do better.

victord1st:

Young man,I imported footwear (CKD) via onne port in 2014.

5 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Ereolamide: 6:42am On Aug 10, 2017
What conspiracy are you guys talking about?

You mean Yoruba leaders woke up one morning and decide to truncate success of those eastern ports, are they responsible for the corruption bedevilling the NPA for not dredging the shallow ones, what procedural steps have Yorubas initiated that stopped shippers to use the eastern ports?

In a country where billions has been spent on electricity, roads, hospitals and other social amenities with absolutely nothing to show for it, the average ones are stifled with corruption, some bastards are blaming Yorubas?

Majority of pigbos are just cursed with envy, its not our fault that the British decided to build a fairly good port in Lagos, at least they were in calabar where they transport your forefathers as slaves before moving to Lagos, so how are Yorubas also responsible for this? Lagos state is building another one, Ondo and Ogun are about to start Olokola, when ships start berthing blame Yorubas as usual without holding your worthless leaders responsible.

You guys won't blame the failures of basic infrastructure on Nigeria but Yorubas, it's a well known fact that your useless uncles truncated the working system we had before this unitary government.

And to that old fool 'patience' Ibadan was the second most populous city in Nigeria during the regional system, no city was her equal, your fathers and uncles literally had their lives shaped there, any rot in Ibadan was due to migration to Lagos as the federal capital, Yoruba held Ibadan as their first and Lagos second at that period of time, and as it stands today none of your useless hamlets in the east can compare with Ibadan.

Bastards

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 10, 2017
aribisala0:
Niger Delta is part of the Yorubaland so your comparison is meaningless.

ualitatively The Shoreline of Yorubalan is the best for sea ports:Direct access to the sea with few mangroves and creeks.The Shoreline of Ondo state is the longest in the country and the best suited for Sea ports.

For your information when I say Niger Delta I'm referring to SS. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 6:54am On Aug 10, 2017
Ekinematics:

You need go back and study the shoreline in naija before expressing your ignorance here.
Ondo state has the longest shoreline in Nigeria
Ayam not understanding. So where did you place Bayelsa?

You can refer to whatever you llike .If youu like call Rice garri that will not make it garri.

Ondo state has the longest shoreline in Nigeria DOUBLE that of Bayelsa. I repeat Double!!

6 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Ereolamide: 6:55am On Aug 10, 2017
Ekinematics:

You need go back and study the shoreline in naija before expressing your ignorance here.
Ondo state has the longest shoreline in Nigeria
Ayam not understanding. So where did you place Bayelsa?

Many of you are just plain ignorant, read his write up properly and let knowledge suffuse your mind, do you know many creeks are along bayelsa shoreline? Do you know the difficulty ships will encounter in maneuvering about them?

And yes Ondo has the longest, smoothest shoreline in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Michael004: 7:13am On Aug 10, 2017
Ereolamide:
What I can deduce from these stats are:

1. There is a comparable average traffic of ships at these ports, unlike the yorubaphobic propaganda of Igbos that these ports are not functioning at all because Yorubas are stifling the eastern ports.

2. That the problems encountered in these ports like renovations, maintenance and all other procedural bottlenecks are the known 'Nigeria problem'

3. Non oil products are imported through these ports both dry and bulk cargoes.

4. These ports are not deep ports like those in Lagos (even Lagos port is not deep enough) the only state in Nigeria with the longest coastline with the geological capability of a worthy port is Ondo state.

5. If a seaport is built in Ondo state trust our Igbo neighbours to cry marginalization.
I love this. Yet, Yoruba never cried of marginalization like the pigs and idiots.

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Markfemi: 7:13am On Aug 10, 2017
Blue3k:

they have changed narrative from no ports in ss to its too expensive to clear there grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by caleboxylic: 7:15am On Aug 10, 2017
Blue3k:

Aye so I guess this guy is a liar on this thread who imported shoes. Lol guy your ineptitude is a vast as ocean. Those NPA Stats are lies because you the ignorant man thinks Liquid bulk is machinery and tools.

What a chore it must of been to raise an educate you. The probably needed can the knowledge into you skull. This is truly shallow and pathetic do better.

Guy, try to import through Onne and see for yourself. Before you get your goods, you pay heavily to Intels bc those goods are not allowed there.
Let the guy tell us why he was made to pay more there or don't we have a uniform tariff from NCS?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FG Blames Anti-Open Grazing Law For Killings By Herdsmen / Edo House Crisis: Senate Panel Report Indicts Obaseki,gives Governor Fresh Terms / Police Take Over NHIS Building Over Protest Plot By Suspended Secretary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.