Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? (20798 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi's Tweets About The Revival Of The Eastern Ports. / Eastern Ports Revival: How NPA, Hull Blyth, Maersk, Others Are Pulling Through / Why Vessels Avoid Eastern Ports — NPA Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 7:58pm On Aug 09, 2017
Tag mods so the illuminated ones can bring light to the dreaded conspiracy. Right now I'm just getting crazy crybaby answers. People are telling me a shallow port is dysfunctional because it's not a deep seaport. Even though they have option to use Onne. I post the depth that nobody read it clearly shows lagos port not even deep.

Obi1kenobi:

I would still wait for someone in the know to illuminate this issue.

CrtlAltDel:
Why are my Ipob blodas avoiding this thread….. Ok I know what to do…. Breaking news: ipob supreme leader is in Kaduna grin grin grin grin grin

Tag mod the so they can explain.

11 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by omohayek: 7:59pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Lagos' historical status as Nigeria's gateway since colonial times has given it a massive advantage in creating the commercial hub of the country, while that same commercial hub status gives it a massive advantage as the main gateway. For the same reason we've never had the strategic vision to diversify from oil, the government has never had the vision to create an alternative to a Lagos that is straining under the pressure on its infrastructure. No place in the old Eastern region has had anything remotely close to the successive investments of first the colonial government and then the independent federal government to creating the reality that is Lagos.

I also don't see why this is a tribal issue. Yorubas are not the reason for the the massive infrastructural deficit in other regions and I haven't seen anyone claiming so. The Federal government and our dysfunctional political system is responsible. Maybe if those SS states controlled far more of their resources and 13% derivation wasn't all they had, they could have themselves tacked their problems.
You might have had the good fortune never to have seen such complaints pointing accusatory fingers at imaginary Yoruba conspiracies, but I have seen such claims made on this forum many, many times. That's why I appreciate what Blue3k has done here by bringing some solid facts to the table, as opposed to the numerous paranoid assertions of those who assert that Hausa-Fulanis and Yorubas are allegedly working in tandem to prevent alternative ports from flourishing.

As for what would happen if the SS controlled their resources, while I am 100% in support of giving them such control (or rather, giving individuals in every part of the country full control over resources found on their privately-owned land), I don't see anything in the history of governance of places like Bayelsa, Delta or Rivers to suggest that the rulers of those states would have found more productive uses for such wealth than they have with what they're currently getting. On the contrary, I suspect the primary beneficiaries of such huge windfalls would be places like Lagos - where all of the ND's crooked politicians feel obliged to purchase luxury properties - London, New York, and the various foreign makers of private planes and luxury yachts. This is not an indictment of the character of the people of the Niger Delta, but an inevitable consequence of state control of huge resource rents, which is why we see similar follies at work in places like Russia, Equatorial Guinea, Venezuela and Angola.

If you really believe giving ND governors even larger oil rents would lead to meaningful development, you'll need to explain why we should disbelieve not just their own history, but also those of every other place which has suddenly found its government awash with petrodollars, without the constraint of a strong civil society to check how it is spent. It's not as if the ND has better institutions than the Nigerian government, so why would more money translate into grassroots development rather than even more lavish and wasteful luxury spending for a few?

16 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 7:59pm On Aug 09, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Well, I hope somebody can throw light on these obstacles so we know where to direct our anger and vexations
No sea access in the east so anger for that should be directed at Baba God

16 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 8:02pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Lagos' historical status as Nigeria's gateway since colonial times has given it a massive advantage in creating the commercial hub of the country, while that same commercial hub status gives it a massive advantage as the main gateway. For the same reason we've never had the strategic vision to diversify from oil, the government has never had the vision to create an alternative to a Lagos that is straining under the pressure on its infrastructure. No place in the old Eastern region has had anything remotely close to the successive investments of first the colonial government and then the independent federal government to creating the reality that is Lagos.

I also don't see why this is a tribal issue. Yorubas are not the reason for the the massive infrastructural deficit in other regions and I haven't seen anyone claiming so. The Federal government and our dysfunctional political system is responsible. Maybe if those SS states controlled far more of their resources and 13% derivation wasn't all they had, they could have themselves tacked their problems.

A lot of your brothers on this very forum will rather die than agree with your assertion in the bold. I don't have the time otherwise I would have gone digging up the stupid and dumb threads they've opened to propagate that idiocy angry

Anyway, who better to know about that after all you're still an afonja to plenty of them cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 09, 2017
Op I don't know what you mean by eastern ports.
Rivers and Onne ports are in Rivers State.
Calabar and Delta ports are in Cross River and Delta states respectively.
So please what's eastern about these ports?

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 8:12pm On Aug 09, 2017
Ekinematics:
Op I don't know what you mean by eastern ports.
Rivers and Onne ports are in Rivers State.
Calabar and Delta ports are in Cross River and Delta states respectively.
So please what's eastern about these ports?

The Ports in NPA are separated by two divisions. East and West. The headquarters for each that oversee the operations of these ports. The second picture is guy in charge of West port headquarters.

http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/EPorts.aspx?Pid=337

http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/WPorts.aspx?Pid=338

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:15pm On Aug 09, 2017
omohayek:

You might have had the good fortune never to have seen such complaints pointing accusatory fingers at imaginary Yoruba conspiracies, but I have seen such claims made on this forum many, many times. That's why I appreciate what Blue3k has done here by bringing some solid facts to the table, as opposed to the numerous paranoid assertions of those who assert that Hausa-Fulanis and Yorubas are allegedly working in tandem to prevent alternative ports from flourishing.

As for what would happen if the SS controlled their resources, while I am 100% in support of giving them such control (or rather, giving individuals in every part of the country full control over resources found on their privately-owned land), I don't see anything in the history of governance of places like Bayelsa, Delta or Rivers to suggest that the rulers of those states would have found more productive uses for such wealth than they have with what they're currently getting. On the contrary, I suspect the primary beneficiaries of such huge windfalls would be places like Lagos - where all of the ND's crooked politicians feel obliged to purchase luxury properties - London, New York, and the various foreign makers of private plans and luxury yachts. This is not an indictment of the character of the people of the Niger Delta, but an inevitable consequence of state control of huge resource rents, which is why we see similar follies at work in places like Russia, Equatorial Guinea, Venezuela and Angola.

If you really believe giving ND governors even larger oil rents would lead to meaningful development, you'll need to explain why we should disbelieve not just their own history, but also those of every other place which has suddenly found its government awash with petrodollars, without the constraint of a strong civil society to check how it is spent. It's not as if the ND has better institutions than the Nigerian government, so why would more money translate into grassroots development rather than even more lavish and wasteful luxury spending for a few?

I get your point. There's not a shred of doubt about the massive failure of leadership in the ND, but if Rivers, Delta and Akwa Ibom which account for most of the Federal government revenue controlled their own resources rather than 36 states of the Federation sharing it, even with more massive looting, enough will still filter down to develop their infrastructure. Expanded sea ports, international standard airports, access roads (this might be their biggest challenge compared to the SW road network), even rail to carry cargo from the ports. And they will thrive with the NE corridor, Middle-Belt states and the SE looking to profit from the thriving SS. Lagos has benefited a lot more from central government administration and has reaped the dividends for decades and the other regions have never been able to compete. For me, its fanciful to think Lagos will profit even more from this resource control. We're reaching saturation point already in Lagos and industries are already spilling over to Ogun state which is ripping the dividends and poised to be the most progressive state in the country in the coming years.

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
aribisala0:
It has little to do with government and more with choice of shipper

For many years befor the emergence of China most shipping especially cars and trucks was from Europe. Cars and trucks are bulky and so formed a very large component of what was being shipped to Nigeria

Anyone who has ever shipped will tell you it is cheaper to ship to Accra than Lome than Cotonou than Lagos in that order. Many Niggerians still ship to Cotonou and that is why their port is booming.

Also Man people from Niger Republic used to used the ports at Lagos and Cotonou and that led to the growth of shiping at these ports compared to PH.
Shipping to Nigeria was very much cheaper to Lagos than elsewhere and they suffered from low patronage.

Lagos Therefore served Lagos and the SW as well as the North . Problem in the PH and Calabar was there was no good road network to the North and so even Borno State was served by LAgos.
The market is in Lagos and many car importers prefer shipping to Lagos or Cotonou because it is cheaper to ship and there are more buyers. This is not sabotage just geograhical advantage.

Why is the Cotonou Port so successful despite its small population?

The Lagos Port was actually built at low cost> There is not much infrastructure there and this low cost is down to its location which is more favorable compared to PH which is inland and a river port and also Calabar inland. Infac the best location for ports in Nigeriaa are Ondo State but this is the one that has been sabotaged because of antipathy to the SW

The idea that only Igbos import is foolish. Edo people are among the largest importers of vehicles into NIgeria

You've just yourself described the sabotage. I mentioned the massive infrastructural advantage Lagos has. Sure, Apapa and some Federal roads in Lagos look appalling, but the state of the Federal roads in Rivers, and other SS states makes Lagos look like the German Autobahn. I've heard the bureaucratic bottlenecks in Lagos are also considerable easier to scale. And that specific import products have to come through Lagos ports. The geographic advantage is undeniable, but that isn't all there is to it.

I'm not sure who the bolded is directed at, but who was stating only Igbos import?

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Ereolamide: 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You've just yourself described the sabotage. I mentioned the massive infrastructural advantage Lagos has. Sure, Apapa and some Federal roads in Lagos look appalling, but the state of the Federal roads in Rivers, and other SS states makes Lagos look like the German Autobahn. I've heard the bureaucratic bottlenecks in Lagos are also considerable easier to scale. And that specific import products have to come through Lagos ports. The geographic advantage is undeniable, but that isn't all there is to it.

I'm not sure who the bolded is directed at, but who was stating only Igbos import?

The shortcomings of those Ports include shallow draft, which will make it impossible for large vessels to berth.

It's not just about good roads and all, the eastern port can only berth small ships, and most shippers use big ships to import their merchandise.

6 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 8:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

It is implied otherwise why talk about sabotage> What would be the point of "sabotage".

Lagos Port was built by the British infact theyy moved there from Calabar because they feltt it was a better place to do business.So if one sister is ugly and the other is fine it is sabotage ? So the rest of the World is sabotaging Africa ?That is Okoro Logic Was it a person that chose to ake Lagos nearer to Europe than Calabar or Port Harcourt?

The British who built the Port in ort Harcourt designed it for export of coal from Enugu.That was its main purpose. They made Lagos capital and Lagos benefitted from that but to characterize that as sabotage is very strange. It is like saying A person who wins the lottery is sabotaging those that dd not win. Did anyone influence the British to choose Lagos over Calabar? If they did not our history may have been very different but it is no sabotage. If it is sabotage then Ondo State too is the biggest victim becauuse it ha the longest coastline in Nigeria. Your argument lacks merit and is dismissed

18 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 8:37pm On Aug 09, 2017
OP- Ask Sarumi and Bamanga Tukur for a start

"In the twilight of General Yakubu Gowon’s administration in the mid-1970s, the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) was battling with the problems of ports congestion as a result of massive cement importation.
The government decided to build two new ports to ease the transaction costs associated with shipping and to ensure adequate facilities for Nigeria’s import and export needs.
A feasibility study was carried out and the experts recommended the creation of two new ports; one in Lagos and another in Ibaka, in present day Akwa Ibom State. These projects were contained in the 3rd National Development Plan.
The one in Lagos is the Tin-Can Island Port commissioned by the then Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters, and deputy to then military Head of State, Genera Olusegun Obasanjo, now late Major-General Shehu Yar’Adua on 14th October, 1977.
Ibaka Port was never constructed, purportedly on the advice of the then Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) and current Chairman of the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) – Alhaji Bamanga Tukur.
I heard Tukur’s argument was that instead of starting a new port from scratch, the same resources could be used to revive existing and nearby Calabar Port.
Government bought his argument and a huge amount I’m still trying to find out was used to revive the port. The new Calabar Port Complex was commissioned on 9th June, 1979.
I heard Alhaji Tukur has a wife from Calabar. Now I’m not sure if his wife influenced his decision or if his support for Calabar port made the community bless him with their daughter. But anyhow, it is clear that the decision is a wrong one because Calabar Port is still moribund.
Fast forward to 2006 when Alhaji Bamanga Tukur’sson, the iconic Chief Adebayo Babatunde Sarumi, was in charge of the Nigerian Ports Authority.
A princely sum of 56 million dollars (about N9 billion) was spent on dredging the Calabar Port channel.

The dredging contract was awarded to two dredging firms: Messrs Jan de Nul and Van Oord. The federal government divided the entire length of the channel in Calabar Port between the two firms.
While Van Oord was paid $26 million to dredge kilometre 0 to 46, Jan de Nul got $30 million to dredge kilometre 46 to 84. According to the scope of the contract, the two firms were to scoop out 25 million cubic metres of sand to achieve an overall draft of 8 metres to allow big vessels call at the port.
Not one big ship has called at the port ever since because while the companies collected their monies and walked away, the channel remains as shallow as ever.
Of course the appreciative Calabar community honoured Chief Sarumi with a chieftaincy title."

http://shipsandports.com.ng/before-we-dredge-calabar-port-again/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by DerideGull(m): 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

They won't since they only know how wail. Fact is Eastern ports like Calabar and Delta general are shallow. Then if you look at the trend in traffic One port is 2nd highest tonnage annually. In non oil the trend is better. The federal government only mistake was wasting time approving shallow ports instead of focusing big on the picture being deep seaport.

Are you an exporter or importer? Have you ever imported a feather in your sorry life? You were jumpy and hasty to publish statistics but failed woefully to accompany them with rule and regulation involved in shipping goods and services through Nigerians seaports. Have you ever asked yourself why it cost thrice as much to ship through Apapa or Tin Can instead of ports in southeastern Nigeria? Anyway, I cannot blame you but most dimwits who call themselves minorities in southeastern Nigeria who tend to kick against Biafra or anything championed by the Ndigbo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by freshest4live: 8:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I get your point. There's not a shred of doubt about the massive failure of leadership in the ND, but if Rivers, Delta and Akwa Ibom which account for most of the Federal government revenue controlled their own resources rather than 36 states of the Federation sharing it, even with more massive looting, enough will still filter down to develop their infrastructure. Expanded sea ports, international standard airports, access roads (this might be their biggest challenge compared to the SW road network), even rail to carry cargo from the ports. And they will thrive with the NE corridor, Middle-Belt states and the SE looking to profit from the thriving SS. Lagos has benefited a lot more from central government administration and has reaped the dividends for decades and the other regions have never been able to compete. For me, its fanciful to think Lagos will profit even more from this resource control. We're reaching saturation point already in Lagos and industries are already spilling over to Ogun state which is ripping the dividends and poised to be the most progressive state in the country in the coming years.
Yeah, l think we can also amend the constitution in a way that demands accountability from Governors, certain promises must be fulfilled or risk impeachment. The people and state should have that power.
Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by DerideGull(m): 8:50pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:
Tag mods so the illuminated one can bring light to the dreaded conspiracy. Right now I'm just getting crazy crybaby answers. People are telling me a shallow port is dysfunctional because it's not a deep seaport. Even though they have option to use Onne. I post the depth that nobody read it clearly shows lagos port not even deep.

Tag mod the so they can explain.

The so-called Onne is as inland as Wharf at Igweocha. I wonder why the powers that were in the cesspit called Nigeria decided to develop Onne instead of Opu obu (opobo) or Ibaka which is deep-water and contiguous with southeast.

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 8:54pm On Aug 09, 2017
"Port operations and development in Nigeria began in the middle of the 19th century with the construction of the Lagos breakwater (east and west moles) and capital dredging activities. This was long after the onset of sea-borne trade which followed the early explorations."

http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www.nigerianports.org/history.aspx?id%3D241&grqid=nWkf_DkG&hl=en-IN

Oyibo DREDGED Apapa Port properly but wan naijeriyans built nonsense and did not DREDGE or build properly in the eastern parts of the country when they had the opportunity to.

Simple as ABC

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by DerideGull(m): 8:56pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

Most people don't care look into these statistics. It's all about sentiments and ethnic conspiracy. I doubt we'll get anyone here to defend there position about why they don't patronize other ports.

Deji17

You can publish your skewed statistics as you want but one thing I may ask of you is to join Ndigbo in requesting that the federal government in Nigeria build one Lagos in eastern region.
Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 9:08pm On Aug 09, 2017
DerideGull:

[s]Are you an exporter or importer? Have you ever imported a feather in your sorry life? You were jumpy and hasty to publish statistics but failed woefully to accompany them with rule and regulation involved in shipping goods and services through Nigerians seaports. Have you ever asked yourself why it cost thrice as much to ship through Apapa or Tin Can instead of ports in southeastern Nigeria? Anyway, I can blame you but most dimwits who call themselves minorities in southeastern Nigeria who tend to kick against Biafra or anything championed by the Ndigbo.[/s]

I told you guys to bring rules and regulations. Instead of dissenters to bring proof to the contrary you gave me an ocean of tears. If you guys channeled your tears from this thread to ocean you wouldn't have any shallow ports. Then maybe you'll lagos port.

Please bring stats wailer showing it's more expensive. Even if port is more expensive it's functional OK thank you.

Ereolamide:

The shortcomings of those Ports include shallow draft, which will make it impossible for large vessels to berth.

It's not just about good roads and all, the eastern port can only berth small ships, and most shippers use big ships to import their merchandise.

Nah if you look at Port depth stats I posted it clearly shows only 2 of the four ports are very shallow. They can easily go to Rivers to import.

Rivers port is between 8.5m to 17m.
Onne port is 7.5m to 12m

VS

Tin Can 9m to 11m
Lagos Port 11.5

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 9:10pm On Aug 09, 2017
DerideGull:

You can publish your skewed statistics as you want but one thing I may ask of you is to join Ndigbo in requesting that the federal government in Nigeria build one Lagos in eastern region.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Old deluded gull wants a Lagos to be built for him in the east. Won't you carry the one you guys already developed in the SW back to the east? Or you no longer own 95% of it again? cheesy

Why do the advanced Jews need the almajiri and ewedu govt to build a new Lagos for them? What happened to the one Ebele Jonathan built? cheesy

Jealousy and envy will surely be the death of you cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:12pm On Aug 09, 2017
aribisala0:
It is implied otherwise why talk about sabotage> What would be the point of "sabotage".

Lagos Port was built by the British infact theyy moved there from Calabar because they feltt it was a better place to do business.So if one sister is ugly and the other is fine it is sabotage ? So the rest of the World is sabotaging Africa ?That is Okoro Logic Was it a person that chose to ake Lagos nearer to Europe than Calabar or Port Harcourt?

The British who built the Port in ort Harcourt designed it for export of coal from Enugu.That was its main purpose. They made Lagos capital and Lagos benefitted from that but to characterize that as sabotage is very strange. It is like saying A person who wins the lottery is sabotaging those that dd not win. Did anyone influence the British to choose Lagos over Calabar? If they did not our history may have been very different but it is no sabotage. If it is sabotage then Ondo State too is the biggest victim becauuse it ha the longest coastline in Nigeria. Your argument lacks merit and is dismissed

I may have chosen the wrong word in "sabotage" if you're taking my usage literally. I meant since colonial times, the relative resources committed to developing Lagos' ports and the failures of post-colonial Nigerian governments is the reason for Lagos port dominance. It is not just about the geographical advantage as you made out. It's a failure of leadership.

There's also something I'm not getting here. Some have said Lagos accounts for most of the imports because the transport companies with their large ships prefer Lagos. Considering the massive oil tankers that ply the Eastern ports to export crude, I see no reason why those same import liners can't import through those ports. I believe this must be a routing policy issue. The Eastern ports handling export traffic are probably not equipped to simultaneously handle huge import traffic. So the Lagos ports which handle comparatively little exports are prioritized in national maritime policy to handle the bulk of imports.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Omofunaab2: 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2017
aribisala0:

GBAM

The bitter truth is that South west is blessed... Igbos just need to accept this instead of blaming us for their woes

11 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 9:15pm On Aug 09, 2017
aribisala0:

They'll soon report God to ICC and UN for marginalization cheesy

Some Yoruba still clamouring for 1 naijeriya truly don't know how blessed their homeland is cool

9 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

I told you guys to bring rules and regulations dissenters to bring proof to contrary but you gave me an ocean of tears. If you guys channeled your tears from this thread to ocean you wouldn't have any shallow port. Then maybe you'll lagos.

Please bring stats wailer showing it's more expensive. Even if port is more expensive it's functional OK thank you.

Nah if you look at Port depth stats I posted it clearly shows only 2 of the four ports are very shallow. They can easily go to Rivers to import.

Onne port is 7.5m to 12m

VS

Tin Can 9m to 11m
Lagos Port 11.5

So, why don't they? Why do all those states in the Eastern corridor of the country stretching from North to South still have to go all the way to Lagos and suffer to clear their containers at the ports? I'm not buying that there are no institutionalized obstacles causing this. There have to be. Else, it doesn't make sense. You're trying to portray the status-quo as one in which there is equal opportunity, which I think is far from the truth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
omohayek:

You might have had the good fortune never to have seen such complaints pointing accusatory fingers at imaginary Yoruba conspiracies, but I have seen such claims made on this forum many, many times. That's why I appreciate what Blue3k has done here by bringing some solid facts to the table, as opposed to the numerous paranoid assertions of those who assert that Hausa-Fulanis and Yorubas are allegedly work

Lol dude there's a whole thread devoted to the conspiracy that Yoruba's are out to kill ibom port. The thread went on for 14 pages without dying with 20k views. There's no doubt people believe this. Now that they have floor to post facts, rules and regulations stopping them. I can't see anything being presented.

https://www.nairaland.com/2261584/yoruba-plot-kill-ibaka-deep

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by aribisala0(m): 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I may have chosen the wrong word in "sabotage" if you're taking my usage literally. I meant since colonial times, the relative resources committed to developing Lagos' ports and the failures of post-colonial Nigerian governments is the reason for Lagos port dominance. It is not just about the geographical advantage as you made out. It's a failure of leadership.

There's also something I'm not getting here. Some have said Lagos accounts for most of the imports because the transport companies with their large ships prefer Lagos. Considering the massive oil tankers that ply the Eastern ports to export crude, I see no reason why those same import liners can't import through those ports. I believe this must be a routing policy issue. The Eastern ports handling export traffic are probably not equipped to simultaneously handle huge import traffic. So the Lagos ports which handle comparatively little exports are prioritized in national maritime policy to handle the bulk of imports.
You are free to believe what you like . I prefer facts / I have been in the offices of shipping copanies in Hamburg and on their walls you can see price of shipping increasing as you move from West to East from Cote dIvoire to Togo to Benin to Nigeria. Lagos is cheaper than PH

PH Enugu express way which was built by Obasanjo came on line in 1979 and was used to evacuate to the East.
Before then old Aba Rd was a single carriageway all the way to Aba. If there was a conspiracy why was that road built?
It was still too expensive to import fo PH because Insurance costs were high. PH was designed for export of coal and not import. As an inland port it was very vulnerable to boarding and theft.Kidnapping did not start today.Shipping crew were being kidnapped and insurance costs skyrocketed and SHIPPERS decided they dd not like PH. They siply charged more and demand and supply did the rest

An oil export terminal is desined to operate differently from an ordinary civilian import facility. Insurers do not like the fire risk and charge more and technically they operate differently ..Integrating with import is possible but this is usually specialized cargo because design is different, The facility in Lagos where petrol is imported is not the same where electronic come in

8 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 9:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
OP - See the history of Calabar Port. Compare it to the history of Apapa port before you resume your self deceit

Calabar Port Complex

The history of Calabar Port is traceable from the premedieval merchants’ ventures of the 15th century to the present day. It served as an important focus of trade with the outside world in the Eastern states and natural port for the northern states of Nigeria.

The Old Port was privately administered and operated by various shipping companies amongst whom were M/S Palm line Agencies Limited and Elder Dempster Agencies until December 1969 when the Federal Government took over the inadequate Calabar Port facilities from the erstwhile operators and vested it on the Nigerian Ports Authority.

The development, modernization and expansion of the Calabar Port was embarked upon under the 3rd National Development plan 1975 –1980 in order to make the Port facilities cope with the ever increasing demand of our economy. The new Port Complex was commissioned on 9th June, 1979 and consists of the following major operational areas:-

- The Port has a total land area of 38 hectares.
- The Port has a total of Four Quays each measuring about 215m long and 40m wide.
- The Four Quays have been edcimated into six operational berths.
- The Port also have 2 warehouses measuring 150m X 40m and 175m X 40m.
- The Port operational Area have been divided into two concessioned terminals.
- Terminal A consisting of two berths was concessioned to Messrs Intels Nigeria Ltd.
- Terminal B consisting of four berths was concessioned to Messrs ECM Terminal Ltd

The Port is Located along latitude 4055’N and Long 8015’. 3.E. The New port lies about 55nautical miles from the fairway buoy up to Calabar River. The Port occupies an area of approximately (38) hectares of land buoyed channel (150) metres wide and a navigable chancy 85km (45m2)

http://www.nigerianports.org/AboutUsCalabarPort.aspx

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Sanchez01: 9:33pm On Aug 09, 2017
I'm still reading through the thread like I am dreaming. Which one is 'EASTERN PORTS' or 'Ports in Biafraland'

This one is way beyond me grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 9:35pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:
[s]OP - See the history of Calabar Port. Compare it to the history of Apapa port before you resume your self deceit [/s]

Boring do you have relevant facts that show it not functional. This is pathetically sad. What's stopping you from importing through there. Why aren't you using deeper onne and rivers port? Stop crying and post rules and regulations stopping you. We've already proven all the eastern ports except Onne import more than they export in non crude oil cargo statistics.

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 9:46pm On Aug 09, 2017
DerideGull:

Oga Deridegull, it is not Federal Government that built Lagos.
Only 3 local governments out of the present 20 were part of the federal capital territory then.
17 local governments were part of the western region.
It was Awolowo who constructed the industrial estates in Lagos not your incompetent federal government.
It was UPN that built most of the roads in Lagos not your federal government.
The only project worth of mentioning that we can attribute to the FG is the third mainland bridge and probably Festac.
I dare you to prove me wrong.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 9:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

Boring do you have relevant facts that show it not functional. This is pathetically sad. What's stopping you from importing through there. Why aren't you using deeper onne and rivers port? Stop crying and post rules and regulations stopping you. We've already proven all the eastern ports except Onne import more than they export in non crude oil cargo statistics.

I don't understand your rambling. Once again see what Gowon, Sarumi, Bamanga Tukur did. I hope your attention span can carry it

joeyfire:
OP- Ask Sarumi and Bamanga Tukur for a start

"In the twilight of General Yakubu Gowon’s administration in the mid-1970s, the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) was battling with the problems of ports congestion as a result of massive cement importation.
The government decided to build two new ports to ease the transaction costs associated with shipping and to ensure adequate facilities for Nigeria’s import and export needs.
A feasibility study was carried out and the experts recommended the creation of two new ports; one in Lagos and another in Ibaka, in present day Akwa Ibom State. These projects were contained in the 3rd National Development Plan.
The one in Lagos is the Tin-Can Island Port commissioned by the then Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters, and deputy to then military Head of State, Genera Olusegun Obasanjo, now late Major-General Shehu Yar’Adua on 14th October, 1977.
Ibaka Port was never constructed, purportedly on the advice of the then Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) and current Chairman of the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) – Alhaji Bamanga Tukur.
I heard Tukur’s argument was that instead of starting a new port from scratch, the same resources could be used to revive existing and nearby Calabar Port.
Government bought his argument and a huge amount I’m still trying to find out was used to revive the port. The new Calabar Port Complex was commissioned on 9th June, 1979.
I heard Alhaji Tukur has a wife from Calabar. Now I’m not sure if his wife influenced his decision or if his support for Calabar port made the community bless him with their daughter. But anyhow, it is clear that the decision is a wrong one because Calabar Port is still moribund.
Fast forward to 2006 when Alhaji Bamanga Tukur’sson, the iconic Chief Adebayo Babatunde Sarumi, was in charge of the Nigerian Ports Authority.
A princely sum of 56 million dollars (about N9 billion) was spent on dredging the Calabar Port channel.

The dredging contract was awarded to two dredging firms: Messrs Jan de Nul and Van Oord. The federal government divided the entire length of the channel in Calabar Port between the two firms.
While Van Oord was paid $26 million to dredge kilometre 0 to 46, Jan de Nul got $30 million to dredge kilometre 46 to 84. According to the scope of the contract, the two firms were to scoop out 25 million cubic metres of sand to achieve an overall draft of 8 metres to allow big vessels call at the port.
Not one big ship has called at the port ever since because while the companies collected their monies and walked away, the channel remains as shallow as ever.
Of course the appreciative Calabar community honoured Chief Sarumi with a chieftaincy title."

http://shipsandports.com.ng/before-we-dredge-calabar-port-again/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 9:56pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

I don't understand your rambling. Once again see what Gowon, Sarumi, Bamanga Tukur did. I hope your attention span can carry it

It was a policy decision.
It was the same policy decision that made Nnamdi Azikwe and Tafawa Balewa to appoint Igbos as the pioneer VC of UI and UNILAG even when Yorubas has more Professors than them.

11 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

So the federal government wasted time approving shallow port in 1979. I already addressed this fact in my comments in beginning on this thread. The port which was not meant to be deep seaport obviously. The other story I actually posted it on naira land about the dredging. PDP had 16 years to correct such mistakes so now what's your point.

Is their anything stopping you from using deeper ports in rivers yes or no?

Blue3k:

They won't since they only know how wail. Fact is Eastern ports like Calabar and Delta general are shallow. Then if you look at the trend in traffic One port is 2nd highest tonnage annually. In non oil the trend is better. The federal government only mistake was wasting time approving shallow ports instead of focusing big on the picture being deep seaport.

Blue3k:

Nah if you look at Port depth stats I posted it clearly shows only 2 of the four eastern ports are very shallow. They can easily go to Rivers to import.

Onne port is 7.5m to 12m

VS

Tin Can 9m to 11m
Lagos Port 11.5m

8 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
Oga Deridegull, it is not Federal Government that built Lagos.
Only 3 local governments out of the present 20 were part of the federal capital territory then.
17 local governments were part of the western region.
It was Awolowo who constructed the industrial estates in Lagos not your incompetent federal government.
It was UPN that built most of the roads in Lagos not your federal government.
The only project worth of mentioning that we can attribute to the FG is the third mainland bridge and probably Festac.
I dare you to prove me wrong.

Lagos was Federal capital between 1914 and 1991 and in 77 years, you think all the Federal Government built was 3rd Mainland Bridge and FESTAC? Did you say that with a straight face? shocked

Very soon, Gwaris will tell us they built Abuja. Una no dey tire for all these futile arguments?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

2023: Scramble For VP, Suspicion Rock South East / Construction Starts On 12 Train Stations In Abuja / Rotimi Amaechi: We Promised Change, Now There’s Huge Change In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.