Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? (20801 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi's Tweets About The Revival Of The Eastern Ports. / Eastern Ports Revival: How NPA, Hull Blyth, Maersk, Others Are Pulling Through / Why Vessels Avoid Eastern Ports — NPA Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 10:17pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
It was a policy decision.
It was the same policy decision that made Nnamdi Azikwe and Tafawa Balewa to appoint Igbos as the pioneer VC of UI and UNILAG even when Yorubas has more Professors than them.

Walahi the person that liked this your post na real mumu ;

Did you read the article? There was a national development plan drawn up by experts to construct two new ports. Ibaka and Tincan. Your tribalism sabotage policy had Tincan port built and Ibaka abandoned on the pretext that Calabar would be upgraded. As recently as 2006, Sarumi and Bamanga Tukur oversaw a shoddy job to make sure Calabar never takes off.

So are you indirectly agreeing that Yoruba intentionally work at sabotaging the East through "policy" because Igbos were VC of Unilag at a time? What a pity. Make hatred and bitterness joined with hypocrisy not wound you people o

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:21pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
It was a policy decision.
It was the same policy decision that made Nnamdi Azikwe and Tafawa Balewa to appoint Igbos as the pioneer VC of UI and UNILAG even when Yorubas has more Professors than them.

Yes, because an economic policy decision with billions of dollars on the line is equivalent to appointing VC's.
And who told you Yorubas had more Professors at the time?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Lagos was Federal capital between 1914 and 1991 and in 77 years, you think all the Federal Government built was 3rd Mainland Bridge and FESTAC? Did you say that with a straight face? shocked

Very soon, Gwaris will tell us they built Abuja. Una no dey tire for all these futile arguments?
What are you talking about?
Is the Federal Government not making money every year from Lagos?
Since 1960 the total amount of money generated by FG in Lagos far exceeds​the amount spent on it so what's the fuss all about?

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 10:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

Walahi the person that liked this your post na real mumu ;

Did you read the article? There was a national development plan drawn up by experts to construct two new ports. Ibaka and Tincan. Your tribalism sabotage policy had Tincan port built and Ibaka abandoned on the pretext that Calabar would be upgraded. As recently as 2006, Sarumi and Bamanga Tukur oversaw a shoddy job to make sure Calabar never takes off.

So are you indirectly agreeing that Yoruba intentionally work at sabotaging the East through "policy" because Igbos were VC of Unilag at a time? What a pity. Make hatred and bitterness joined with hypocrisy not wound you people o
You have no point.

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 10:28pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

So the federal government wasted time approving shallow port in 1979. I already addressed this fact in my comments in beginning on this thread. The port which was not meant to be deep seaport obviously. The other story I actually posted it on naira land about the dredging. PDP had 16 years to correct such mistakes so now what's your point.

Is their anything stopping you from using deeper ports in rivers yes or no?

Nice try but please answer. Why did the likes of Sarumi, Gowon,Tukur and other shifty wan naijeriyans in charge not dredge the Ports it constructed like the ones oyibo built at Apapa and the ones they constructed for themselves at Tincan to the exclusion of Ibaka?

You do realise the meaning of dredging right? You know the British took a lot of care to deliberately dredge Apapa port right?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
What are you talking about?
Is the Federal Government not making money every year from Lagos?
Since 1960 the total amount of money generated by FG in Lagos far exceeds​the amount spent on it so what's the fuss all about?

Not sure what that has to do with what you said. It's one thing to say you're fortunate to be blessed by Lagos' geographical gifts. That's understandable. It's another thing entirely though the way some of you try to make out you developed Lagos with little to no contribution from the Federal government and that's just blatantly false. To say the FG only built 3rd Mainland bridge "and maybe FESTAC".........I don't even know where to start from to dispute that. grin Like I said, tomorrow now Gwaris and even the Northern settlers in Abuja will start telling us they built Abuja.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 10:34pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Yes, because an economic policy decision with billions of dollars on the line is equivalent to appointing VC's.
And who told you Yorubas had more Professors at the time?
Whatever rocks​ your boat.
One is Yoruba didn't even participate in any move to kill the ports in the east.
Don't forget that the Ibos were even in alliance with the Federal Government more than Yorubas.
Under Shagamu, igbos were the Vice President, speaker and deputy vice president.
Under Tafawa Balewa, they were largely in charge of every ministry and you are still accusing Yorubas who have played more opposition politics than you of sabotaging your seaports?
How does that sound in your head?

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 10:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
You have no point.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wicked people. This is not 1970 when your lies and propaganda can't be busted. Abeg go sleep

7 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 10:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Not sure what that has to do with what you said. It's one thing to say you're fortunate to be blessed by Lagos' geographical gifts. That's understandable. It's another thing entirely though the way some of you try to make out you developed Lagos with little to no contribution from the Federal government and that's just blatantly false. To say the FG only built 3rd Mainland bridge "and maybe FESTAC".........I don't even know where to start from to dispute that. grin Like I said, tomorrow now Gwaris and even the Northern settlers in Abuja will start telling us they built Abuja.
Can you please list all the major projects of the Federal Government in Lagos.

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 10:37pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

Nice try but please answer. Why did the likes of Sarumi, Gowon,Tukur and other shifty wan naijeriyans in charge not dredge the Ports it constructed like the ones oyibo built at Apapa and the ones they constructed for themselves at Tincan to the exclusion of Ibaka?

You do realise the meaning of dredging right? You know the British took a lot of care to deliberately dredge Apapa port right?

Lol are you going to cry about stupid polices that happened decades ago. I already said it was stupid move now answer why you aren't using rivers port. Military government was stupid simple. Did your representatives raise hell about it during democracy era.

Why waste time dredging very shallow port to be deep when resources over long term better spend on locations with potential to be deep seaport. The Nigerian government dredges these ports.

Now tell me why you don't use deeper port in rivers.

Blue3k:

Nah if you look at Port depth stats I posted it clearly shows only 2 of the four ports are very shallow. They can easily go to Rivers to import.

Rivers port is between 8.5m to 17m.
Onne port is 7.5m to 12m

VS

Tin Can 9m to 11m
Lagos Port 11.5m

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 10:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wicked people. This is not 1970 when your lies and propaganda can't be busted. Abeg go sleep

Give us facts that verify the sabotage wailing you have been doing all these days.
You can't whip up any sympathy with your jankara cries here.

12 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by omohayek: 10:39pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I get your point. There's not a shred of doubt about the massive failure of leadership in the ND, but if Rivers, Delta and Akwa Ibom which account for most of the Federal government revenue controlled their own resources rather than 36 states of the Federation sharing it, even with more massive looting, enough will still filter down to develop their infrastructure.
Really? Why hasn't that happened in nearby Equatorial Guinea, or Angola, or South Sudan, or anywhere else in Africa where huge oil deposits have been found, and the government has had the ability to cream off the profits at will? Who exactly will hold these governments accountable enough to deliver any tangible new benefits? Is it people who are so powerless to keep their politicians in check that they feel the need to rush to the defense of a twice-convicted thief like James Ibori, merely because he remembered to drop them a few crumbs while feeding greedily like a pig from the public coffers? What price has GEJ had to pay with his kinsmen for several years as governor, followed by 2 years as VP and then 5 years as President, without delivering even potable water to his own hometown of Otoke?

I think if you really understand the importance of institutions and how they shape the behaviour of people in power, you'll realize that a much more likely scenario than the El-Dorado of development you paint is that the hugely increased funds at stake will make politics in the ND even more of a "do or die" affair than it currently is, with the extra cash just making it easier to buy lots of weapons and fund more thugs to wield them. With the cash-starved FG no longer able to hold the violence in check, how long before the ND becomes another Congo or South Sudan, with profiteering warlords fighting over who gets to "tax" foreign oil companies?

Lest you think I'm just blowing hot air, I suggest you pick up a copy of Acemoglu and Robinson's book Why Nations Fail. Maybe then you'll understand why Congo, Venezuela or South Sudan are the likelier outcomes under 100% resource control.
Lagos has benefited a lot more from central government administration and has reaped the dividends for decades and the other regions have never been able to compete. For me, its fanciful to think Lagos will profit even more from this resource control.
To begin with, let me repeat that I don't believe granting "resource control" to state governors will do anything other than heighten corruption and violence in the Niger-Delta: what I support is abolition of the Land Use Act, and enshrinement of the principle of private ownership of land and everything on or beneath it. A huge part of Nigeria's problem is that governments have too much power, with huge incentives to abuse it.

The second point worth making is that you ignore the reality that any deal on resource control will necessarily involve Lagos and other SW states demanding a substantial share of the revenues raised from their ports, their borders and the taxation of the businesses they host. As such, it is probably more likely that Lagos would be far better off under such an arrangement than worse off. The city of Lagos itself isn't bigger or more densely populated than a place like Tokyo - which I know very well at first-hand - so I don't see why getting to keep more of the revenues it raises internally would lead to stagnation.

Finally, I'll make clear that for me granting the ND a larger share of oil revenues isn't because I care about the SW getting more oil money from the FG, but the opposite: there is a very clear link between the quality of governance in any place, and the dependence of the governing on the taxes they collect from the governed. It is no accident that Lagos has been far better governed since 1999 than the other 35 states, especially after Obasanjo thought he could force Tinubu to do his bidding by withholding federal allocations. In the long run good governance matters far more than resource rents, which is why the likes of Japan, Singapore and South Korea now enjoy a quality of life even the Gulf Arab kingdoms can't really boast of, despite lacking any meaningful natural resources.

Here's what I'll admit to: I want the ND to keep its "oyel" money for the selfish reason that I want the SW governments to be forced to concentrate on growing their tax bases by encouraging commerce and industry, rather than sitting idly and waiting for the FG to cut a cheque every month. I don't expect the Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers elites to do much than fight over the new loot available to them, but again I'm selfish enough to think "You asked for it, you got it, now deal with the fallout as you wish".

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:42pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
Whatever rocks​ your boat.
[b]One is Yoruba didn't even participate in any move to kill the ports in the east.
[/b]Don't forget that the Ibos were even in alliance with the Federal Government more than Yorubas.
Under Shagamu, igbos were the Vice President, speaker and deputy vice president.
Under Tafawa Balewa, they were largely in charge of every ministry and you are still accusing Yorubas who have played more opposition politics than you of sabotaging your seaports?
How does that sound in your head?

I certainly haven't said so. Was merely disputing that specific false equivalence you drew.

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by deji17: 10:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

That's a daft response was it meant to be a deep sea port? The answer is No. The federal government know this in 1991 when the established delta port. The know Calabar was shallow in 1969 when the took over the port operations.

Let me guess you want government to spend tons of cash dredging shallow ports instead of just focusing on developing places in east with potential to be deep seaports.

PS: Akwa and Cross River both have section where deeps seaports can be established that aren't shallow.

Lalasticlala hit me with front page let's put this issue to bed ounce and for all.

Thank you bro for posting this thread. Sorry for coming late to the party, but I can see that yourself and many others have been doing justice to the topic.

2 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 10:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol are you going to cry about stupid polices that happened decades ago. I already said it was stupid move now answer why you aren't using rivers port. Military government was stupid simple. Did your representatives raise hell about it during democracy era.

Why waste time dredging very shallow port to be deep when resources over long term better spend on locations with potential to be deep seaport. The Nigerian government dredges these ports.

Now tell me why you don't use deeper port in rivers.

Stop dribbling yourself and avoiding the facts. Did the British not dredge Apapa port to specification? Or are some places deliberately labelled shallow in this one naijeriya? Why did the British not label Apapa port shallow and avoid dredging it like you people have done to ports in the East?

I asked you before do you know what dredging is?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by caleboxylic: 10:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

Most people don't care look into these statistics. It's all about sentiments and ethnic conspiracy. I doubt we'll get anyone here to defend there position about why they don't patronize other ports.

Deji17
Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools. You don't dare import any other thing through there bc those custom guys of Northern origin no dey smile for Onne.
Don't know about calabar and warri.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
Can you please list all the major projects of the Federal Government in Lagos.
Other than building the ports? The airport? One of the biggest network of Federal roads in the land for what is the smallest state? Much of Eti Osa/Lagos Island/Victoria Island? Apapa? Surulere? Festac/Amuwo? Egbin power plant (the biggest in Nigeria)? I'm in my mid 20's and I'm not the greatest scholar of history, but I know even these off the top of my thick head and if I did more research, I could find out a lot more. The notion that the FG spent 77 years with Lagos as its seat of power hardly building anything and just occupying space is absurd. And you know it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by caleboxylic: 10:52pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
Give us facts that verify the sabotage wailing you have been doing all these days.

Hope you know Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools. NPA staff should do justice to this

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

Stop dribbling yourself and avoiding the facts. Did the British not dredge Apapa port to specification? Or are some places deliberately labelled shallow in this one naijeriya? Why did the British not label Apapa port shallow and avoid dredging it like you people have done to ports in the East?

I asked you before do you know what dredging is?

What fact did I avoid child. You said Britished dredied shallow port OK so what. It's stupid for us to dredge shallow port when location with naturally deeper depth exist in Ibakka. Dredging simply making port deeper.

Deep seaports are ports that are able to easily accommodate Panamax ships. Why are you guys using deeper ports in Rivers. Stop dodging question.

Blue3k:

Onne port is between 7.5m to 12m

VS

Tin Can 9m to 11m
Lagos Port 11.5m

7 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by kozmicity: 10:56pm On Aug 09, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Old deluded gull wants a Lagos to be built for him in the east. Won't you carry the one you guys already developed in the SW back to the east? Or you no longer own 95% of it again? cheesy

Why do the advanced Jews need the almajiri and ewedu govt to build a new Lagos for them? What happened to the one Ebele Jonathan built? cheesy

Jealousy and envy will surely be the death of you cheesy

Savage!!!

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by deji17: 10:58pm On Aug 09, 2017
omohayek:

Really? Why hasn't that happened in nearby Equatorial Guinea, or Angola, or South Sudan, or anywhere else in Africa where huge oil deposits have been found, and the government has had the ability to cream off the profits at will? Who exactly will hold these governments accountable enough to deliver any tangible new benefits? Is it people who are so powerless to keep their politicians in check that they feel the need to rush to the defense of a twice-convicted thief like James Ibori, merely because he remembered to drop them a few crumbs while feeding greedily like a pig from the public coffers? What price has GEJ had to pay with his kinsmen for several years as governor, followed by 2 years as VP and then 5 years as President, without delivering even potable water to his own hometown of Otoke?

I think if you really understand the importance of institutions and how they shape the behaviour of people in power, you'll realize that a much more likely scenario than the El-Dorado of development you paint is that the hugely increased funds at stake will make politics in the ND even more of a "do or die" affair than it currently is, with the extra cash just making it easier to buy lots of weapons and fund more thugs to wield them. With the cash-starved FG no longer able to hold the violence in check, how long before the ND becomes another Congo or South Sudan, with profiteering warlords fighting over who gets to "tax" foreign oil companies?

Lest you think I'm just blowing hot air, I suggest you pick up a copy of Acemoglu and Robinson's book Why Nations Fail. Maybe then you'll understand why Congo, Venezuela or South Sudan are the likelier outcomes under 100% resource control.

To begin with, let me repeat that I don't believe granting "resource control" to state governors will do anything other than heighten corruption and violence in the Niger-Delta: what I support is abolition of the Land Use Act, and enshrinement of the principle of private ownership of land and everything on or beneath it. A huge part of Nigeria's problem is that governments have too much power, with huge incentives to abuse it.

The second point worth making is that you ignore the reality that any deal on resource control will necessarily involve Lagos and other SW states demanding a substantial share of the revenues raised from their ports, their borders and the taxation of the businesses they host. As such, it is probably more likely that Lagos would be far better off under such an arrangement than worse off. The city of Lagos itself isn't bigger or more densely populated than a place like Tokyo - which I know very well at first-hand - so I don't see why getting to keep more of the revenues it raises internally would lead to stagnation.

Finally, I'll make clear that for me granting the ND a larger share of oil revenues isn't because I care about the SW getting more oil money from the FG, but the opposite: there is a very clear link between the quality of governance in any place, and the dependence of the governing on the taxes they collect from the governed. It is no accident that Lagos has been far better governed since 1999 than the other 35 states, especially after Obasanjo thought he could force Tinubu to do his bidding by withholding federal allocations. In the long run good governance matters far more than resource rents, which is why the likes of Japan, Singapore and South Korea now enjoy a quality of life even the Gulf Arab kingdoms can't really boast of, despite lacking any meaningful natural resources.

Here's what I'll admit to: I want the ND to keep its "oyel" money for the selfish reason that I want the SW governments to be forced to concentrate on growing their tax bases by encouraging commerce and industry, rather than sitting idly and waiting for the FG to cut a cheque every month. I don't expect the Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers elites to do much than fight over the new loot available to them, but again I'm selfish enough to think "You asked for it, you got it, now deal with the fallout as you wish".

Exactly! I made a similar point in my reply to one of them yesterday. I will re post it here:

It is important to ask states and LG to account for what is currently accruing to them. A state that cannot account for how they spend the tax they currently collect, the allocation they are currently getting plus 13% in some cases, will still not be able to account for 100% resource control.

You take a look at the current revenue allocation to states. States like Delta, Bayelsa , Rivers states etc allocation, ought to reflect in their citizens standard of living and IGR. A state like Bayelsa with small population is owing upward of 6 months salary.
What do you say of situations where state Governors that are owing many months of salary collected Paris club refund and then convert them to personal use? Corruption is the reason why such states are seriously lagging behind. Corruption can be liken to someone fetching water with a basket, Nothing can be retained. More money, just means more loots, irrespective of the level of Govt.
We have states already taking advantage of the current situation by investing in Agriculture and other means of generating IGR. States like Kebbi, Kaduna and Lagos..

And if we are to be honest with ourselves, most South East states cannot survive without Federal allocation and nothing stops them from raising their current IGR's even within the existing system

8 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 10:58pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:

So all the facts here are you much for your brain to carry....

Your people have done dirt, used policies to sabotage others and you call it policy. Wicked and devilish lot

See Apapa port express road today upon all una scheming, betrayal and port monopoly. Kwakwakwakwa.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 10:58pm On Aug 09, 2017
caleboxylic:

Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools. You don't dare import any other thing through there bc those custom guys of Northern origin no dey smile for Onne.
Don't know about calabar and warri.

Go apologize to who ever wasted money on your education. Is liquid bulk equipment and tools. You guys and these clown responses.

12 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by joeyfire(m): 11:05pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

What fact did I avoid child. You said Britished dredied shallow port OK so what. It's stupid for us to dredge shallow port when location with naturally deeper depth exist in Ibakka. Dredging simply making port deeper.

By trying to avoid looking silly you end up looking even more silly. Abi you smoke something this evening?

So you have finally agreed that the British made Apapa port what it is today? GOOD!

But one minute you switch to asking why "you should dredge shallow port" Then you say it is better to build Ibaka when I have overwhelmed you with facts of how you people killed it... sigh!

Okay grin I agree with you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 11:16pm On Aug 09, 2017
joeyfire:

[s]By trying to avoid looking silly you end up looking even more silly. Abi you smoke something this evening?

So you have finally agreed that the British made Apapa port what it is today? GOOD!

But one minute you switch to asking why "you should dredge shallow port" Then you say it is better to build Ibaka when I have overwhelmed you with facts of how you people killed it... sigh![/s]

Okay grin I agree with you

Perpetual wailer you want to focus on stupid policy that happened decades ago. When PDP was in power for 16 years the didn't correct it yet you skip over that. Lol you guys are excuse makers. I didn't switch my statements I said dredging shallow ports is waste of time in hopes of making deep seaports is waste. Its better to pick optimal location with deeper narural depth like Ibakka.

Simple question you will dodge for the rest of your life. Why won't you use deeper port in Rivers.

Lol I do agree you guys have no facts to back up your claim. At you didn't say Igbos made the port a success.

Blue3k:

Nah if you look at Port depth stats I posted it clearly shows only 2 of the four ports are very shallow. They can easily go to Rivers to import.

Onne port is 7.5m to 12m

VS

Tin Can 9m to 11m
Lagos Port 11.5

12 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 11:20pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Other than building the ports? The airport? One of the biggest network of Federal roads in the land for what is the smallest state? Much of Eti Osa/Lagos Island/Victoria Island? Apapa? Surulere? Festac/Amuwo? Egbin power plant (the biggest in Nigeria)? I'm in my mid 20's and I'm not the greatest scholar of history, but I know even these off the top of my thick head and if I did more research, I could find out a lot more. The notion that the FG spent 77 years with Lagos as its seat of power hardly building anything and just occupying space is absurd. And you know it.
Go and do your research on the 17 local governments that were part of the western region then.
From Ikeja to Apapa, Mushin, Agege, Epe, Ikorodu and almost all parts of Lagos, Awolowo has more impact than your Federal Government.
Almost all the industrial estates in Lagos were built by Awolowo not minding schools constructed under UPN in Lagos.
If not for my exams, you for hear am today.
Lol.

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
omohayek:

It's interesting you mentioned Ibori. Despite his proven massive looting, he's immensely popular in Delta because he accomplished more in infrastructural development than any other Delta governor by far. Akpabio did a hell of a job on Akwa Ibom infrastructure and the EFCC have been crawling up his arse. There is evidence that even in the midst of corruption, enough will filter down for the people to thrive. People have drawn this South Sudan comparisons, but its not tenable. They underestimate just how politically stable Nigeria is: especially the South in general. This is a country where any private citizen can throw any insult his imaginations can conjure at a seating President and no one gives two fucckks. Where Nnamdi Kanu freely holds rallies with tens of thousands with a subversive, even treasonous agenda, and no one cares. Neither the SE, nor SS, can ever be like South Sudan or even Congo. For starters, basic human development standards makes them potentially just as capable as the SW in managing the economy. Rivers, Delta and Akwa Ibom people go to school and they're comparatively well educated. South Sudan is an all-round hell-hole with little human capital development.

Considering FG makes over 70% of its revenue from oil and about 97% of its foreign exchange, I still think overall Lagos will lose out a bit with resource control. It's still profiting massively from a status quo that sees 60% of registered companies in Nigeria being in that tiny strip of land which is ridiculous. For me, resource control will benefit the SS, slightly hit the fortunes of Lagos, and massively hit the entire North and SE, and the rest of the SW outside Lagos. Though Ogun which is showing consistent results in reaping the spillover investments from a saturated Lagos has a promising future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
Go and do your research on the 17 local governments that were part of the western region then.
From Ikeja to Apapa, Mushin, Agege, Epe, Ikorodu and almost all parts of Lagos, Awolowo has more impact than your Federal Government.
Almost all the industrial estates in Lagos were built by Awolowo not minding schools constructed under UPN in Lagos.
If not for my exams, you for hear am today.
Lol.

Story. I already listed the things FG built. You're highly overstating what Awolowo and the Western region did and highly understating what the FG did.

But go take your exams, sha. Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 11:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

It's interesting you mentioned Ibori. Despite his proven massive looting, he's immensely popular in Delta because he accomplished more in infrastructural development than any other Delta governor by far. Akpabio did a hell of a job on Akwa Ibom infrastructure and the EFCC have been crawling up his arse. There is evidence that even in the midst of corruption, enough will filter down for the people to thrive. People have drawn this South Sudan comparisons, but its not tenable. They underestimate just how politically stable Nigeria is: especially the South in general. This is a country where any private citizen can throw any insult his imaginations can conjure at a seating President and no one gives two fucckks. Where Nnamdi Kanu freely holds rallies with tens of thousands with a subversive, even treasonous agenda, and no one cares. Neither the SE, nor SS, can ever be like South Sudan or even Congo. For starters, basic human development standards makes them potentially just as capable as the SW in managing the economy. Rivers, Delta and Akwa Ibom people go to school and they're comparatively well educated. South Sudan is an all-round hell-hole with little human capital development.

Considering FG makes over 70% of its revenue from oil and about 97% of its foreign exchange, I still think overall Lagos will lose out a bit with resource control. It's still profiting massively from a status quo that sees 60% of registered companies in Nigeria being in that tiny strip of land which is ridiculous. For me, resource control will benefit the SS, slightly hit the fortunes of Lagos, and massively hit the entire North and SE, and the rest of the SW outside Lagos. Though Ogun which is showing consistent results in reaping the spillover investments from a saturated Lagos has a promising future.
You have forgotten that part of Lagos success can be traced to its population.
The notion that Lagos will suffer if there is resource control is a fallacy of hasty conclusion.

5 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Okoyiboz3: 11:32pm On Aug 09, 2017
Igbos don suffer for Nairaland.

The lies handed down to the Igbos by their fathers as inheritance are being dismantled daily on this very forum.

The myth if Igbos as being the most business savvy group has been dismantled.

The supposed IGR statistics show that the 5 SE states generate the least IGR.

Today there's a thread that Igbos contribute an abysmally poor tonnage of rice despite making noise about Abakaliki rice and Obiano signing MOUs about like a clerk.

The truth is that lies are the only inheritance that Igbos got from their fathers, now that they are countered with facts, they're facing generational embarrassment.

14 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by ezeagu(m): 11:34pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I would say that pretty much confirms my point. The Lagos ports overwhelmingly handle the imports. Over three-quarters of imports and close to 80% in one of the quarters. It doesn't change my initial perception which is that Lagos handles most of the consumer items imports, which is why many Nigerians who want to import have to do it through Lagos. I'm guessing crude export accounts for most of the traffic of Onne and Rivers ports.

And it's expensive.

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 11:34pm On Aug 09, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Story. I already listed the things FG built. You're highly overstating what Awolowo and the Western region did and highly understating what the FG did.

But go take your exams, sha. Good luck.
Bro, saying Federal Government did nothing in Lagos doesn't mean they didn't do at all.
But using human development index you will realise Awolowo did more for Lagos than Federal Government.
I can't wait for 100% resource control.
Any governor that cannot​ fit in would be booted out.
There will be no room for justification of failure in South West.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bandits Attack Military Camp In Zazzaga, Niger State. Set Vehicles On Fire / House Of Representatives Summons President Buhari Over Incessant Killings / Vp Yemi Osinbajo and Dolapo Osinbajo Celebrates 29years wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.