Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? (20706 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi's Tweets About The Revival Of The Eastern Ports. / Eastern Ports Revival: How NPA, Hull Blyth, Maersk, Others Are Pulling Through / Why Vessels Avoid Eastern Ports — NPA Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 2:21pm On Aug 09, 2017
Please prove how eastern ports are not functional. Clearly see Onne Port rivals Lagos and Tin Can consistently every year. In non oil exports Onne has higher traffic. You are allowed to bring what ever goods you please. Please cite what ever law, regulation or flaw that prevents these ports from being utilized as intended.

Eastern ports refer to ports in eastern administration zone managed by EASTERN PORTS HEADQUARTERS

Ports include:
1. RIVERS PORT, PORT HARCOURTONNE PORT,

2. ONNE PORT, ONNE

3. DELTA PORTS, WARRI

4. CALABAR PORT, CALABAR

Western ports refer to ports in western administration zone managed by WESTERN PORTS HEADQUARTERS 

Ports include:
1. Lagos Ports Complex

2. Tin Can Island Port Complex

Berth characteristics Depths:
Onne Port
Rivers Port
Delta Port
Calabar Port
Tin Can Port
Lagos Port

Front Page: Lalasticlala Mynd44

source Statistics:

http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/uploads/NPA%20Operational%20Statistics.pdf
http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/uploads/Statistics16/CargoType2016.pdf
http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/download/507
http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/infographs/shipping-10-16-info8.jpg
http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/uploads/Statistics16/CargoTraffic2016.pdf

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OkoNDOoBo: 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2017
Yoruba conspiracy against eastern ports bandwagons oya bring your facts and figures to counter this .
emotional wailings and conspiracy theories re not allowed here come and play with facts and figures.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 2:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
Non oil

Modified: please feel free to educate yourself on terms in report. Im tired on nonsense mentions. Don't be like these two guys use common sense.

DRY CARGO - Merchandise other than liquid carried in bulk.

BULK - Cargo shipped in loose condition and of a homogeneous nature. Cargoes that are shipped unpackaged either dry, such as grain and ore, or liquid, such as petroleum products. 

BULK CARRIER - Ship specifically designed to transport large amounts of cargoes such as sugar, grain, wine, ore, Chemicals, liquefied natural gas; coal ore etc. see also LNG Carrier, Tanker OBO Ship. 

General Cargo: A non-bulk oil cargo composed of miscellaneous goods. 

Source:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nigerianports.org/

IgboSubmarine:

1) What type of non crude oil products are imported through Onne port.
Is it only machinery or all types
of goods.

caleboxylic:

Onne seaport is only for equipment and tools.

1 Like

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 2:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
OkoNDOoBo:
Yoruba conspiracy against eastern ports bandwagons oya bring your facts and figures to counter this .
emotional wailings and conspiracy theories re not allowed here come and play with facts and figures.

They won't since they only know how wail. Fact is Eastern ports like Calabar and Delta general are shallow. Then if you look at the trend in traffic Onne port is 2nd highest tonnage annually. In non oil the trend is better. The federal government only mistake was wasting time approving shallow ports instead of focusing big on the picture being deep seaport.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Ereolamide: 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2017
Victim and persecution complex pigbos, we need your attention on this thread to explain to us how Yorubas are responsible for the marginalization of eastern ports.

If not for this thread I would have believed that no single ship berths in any other port aside Lagos ports.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by obailala(m): 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2017
Hmm, didnt even know the ports outside Lagos had a single measure of traffic...

8 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 3:00pm On Aug 09, 2017
obailala:
Hmm, didnt even know the ports outside Lagos had a single measure of traffic...

Most people don't care look into these statistics. It's all about sentiments and ethnic conspiracy. I doubt we'll get anyone here to defend there position about why they don't patronize other ports.

Deji17

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by pazienza(m): 3:37pm On Aug 09, 2017
OP, your link isn't showing same thing as your table figures.
Kindly post verifiable link.

4 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Ereolamide: 3:39pm On Aug 09, 2017
What I can deduce from these stats are:

1. There is a comparable average traffic of ships at these ports, unlike the yorubaphobic propaganda of Igbos that these ports are not functioning at all because Yorubas are stifling the eastern ports.

2. That the problems encountered in these ports like renovations, maintenance and all other procedural bottlenecks are the known 'Nigeria problem'

3. Non oil products are imported through these ports both dry and bulk cargoes.

4. These ports are not deep ports like those in Lagos (even Lagos port is not deep enough) the only state in Nigeria with the longest coastline with the geological capability of a worthy port is Ondo state.

5. If a seaport is built in Ondo state trust our Igbo neighbours to cry marginalization.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by dlondonbadboy: 3:45pm On Aug 09, 2017
Igbos are not marginaliZed....Igbos are the ones marginalizing others..
The ports in Biafraland are all functional and every thing is working 100%, yet igbos would be crying everything..

Even during recruitment$, all the good jobs are giving to igbos and yet, this ipob boys would not allow us hear word..

Igbos are always complaining...that was how they were complaining about 2nd niger bridge since the time of obj. That was how they were complaining about ogoni land population...always complaining..nawa for biafrans o

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by pazienza(m): 3:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
OP is yet to provide verifiable link to his stat table.
Until then, every discussion lie pending.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by pazienza(m): 4:00pm On Aug 09, 2017
A break down of the type of goods, other than just crude oil and non crude oil distinction would also be needed to make appropriate deduction.

My search is showing me that companies who deal in bulk goods mainly used for construction, like Ibeto cement and co, do actually use the Eastern ports particularly Rivers port.

It would appear that the cost of using these Eastern ports are considerably higher because of lack of investment in them, and can only be offset by big companies importing large quantities of raw materials for manufacturing and not by independent private importers.

This is however, my lay man analysis, as I'm not into shipping and ports industry.
Maybe getting this thread to the FP, will get people more knowledgeable in the daily workings of these ports to make informed contributions.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 4:04pm On Aug 09, 2017
pazienza:
OP is yet to provide verifiable link to his stat table.
Until then, every discussion lie pending.

The source stats are up now. I have no need to lie.

11 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Amberon11: 4:05pm On Aug 09, 2017
Stop confusing the SS for the eastern region. They are two very different things.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OkoNDOoBo: 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

They won't since they only know how wail. Fact is Eastern ports like Calabar and Delta general are shallow. Then if you look at the trend in traffic One port is 2nd highest tonnage annually. In non oil the trend is better. The federal government only mistake was wasting time approving shallow ports instead of focusing big picture on deep seaport.
read their comments and see them shifting goal postgrin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OAUTemitayo: 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
pazienza:
A break down of the type of goods, other than just crude oil and non crude oil distinction would also be needed to make appropriate deduction.

My search is showing me that companies who deal in bulk goods mainly used for construction, like Ibeto cement and co, do actually use the Eastern ports particularly Rivers port.

It would appear that the cost of using these Eastern ports are considerably higher because of lack of investment in them, and can only be offset by big companies importing large quantities of raw materials for manufacturing and not by independent private importers.

This is however, my lay man analysis, as I'm not into shipping and ports industry.
Maybe getting this thread to the FP, will get people more knowledgeable in the daily workings of these ports to make informed contributions.

This is a wrong assumption.
I will be back to address this after this tutorial am having.

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Amberon11: 4:25pm On Aug 09, 2017
They are shallow and hence cannot function to full capacity. You know this but you're still asking. Why?
Blue3k:

They won't since they only know how wail. Fact is Eastern ports like Calabar and Delta general are shallow. Then if you look at the trend in traffic One port is 2nd highest tonnage annually. In non oil the trend is better. The federal government only mistake was wasting time approving shallow ports instead of focusing big on the picture being deep seaport.

7 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Amberon11: 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
I don't even know what your problem. These ports are not on biafran territory. They are in the lands of the various SS tribes. Stop giving igbos a false a sense of entitlement.
dlondonbadboy:
Igbos are not marginaliZed....Igbos are the ones marginalizing others..
The ports in Biafraland are all functional and every thing is working 100%, yet igbos would be crying everything..

Even during recruitment$, all the good jobs are giving to igbos and yet, this ipob boys would not allow us hear word..

Igbos are always complaining...that was how they were complaining about 2nd niger bridge since the time of obj. That was how they were complaining about ogoni land population...always complaining..nawa for biafrans o

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
Amberon11:
They are shallow and hence cannot function to full capacity. You know this but you're still asking. Why?

That's a daft response was it meant to be a deep sea port? The answer is No. The federal government know this in 1991 when the established delta port. The know Calabar was shallow in 1969 when the took over the port operations.

Let me guess you want government to spend tons of cash dredging shallow ports instead of just focusing on developing places in east with potential to be deep seaports.

PS: Akwa and Cross River both have section where deeps seaports can be established that aren't shallow.

Lalasticlala hit me with front page let's put this issue to bed ounce and for all.

10 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Ereolamide: 4:35pm On Aug 09, 2017
Amberon11:
Nigeria government is not responsible for the shallowness, the marine geological characteristics of those sites are, do want the goverment to dregde the sea?

that's why sea ports are better sited in respect of the depth of water unlike regular port

That's why deep sea port is usually made up for the usage of very large and heavily loaded ships. The depth of water helps get them access to the deepwater ports.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 4:52pm On Aug 09, 2017
Blue3k:

Most people don't care look into these statistics. It's all about sentiments and ethnic conspiracy. I doubt we'll get anyone here to defend there position about why they don't patronize other ports.

Deji17

Forget that thing. The eternal crybabies will find a reason to scream marginalization no matter what you do and in any case, like Amberon11 said, the ports are in the SS or Niger Delta so how e take concern them sef? angry

31 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 4:55pm On Aug 09, 2017
Amberon11:
I don't even know what your problem. These ports are not on biafran territory. They are in the lands of the various SS tribes. Stop giving igbos a false a sense of entitlement.

As in the way dem carry the matter for head ehn...you'll be forgiven if you think they own all the water bodies in this country cheesy

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Amberon11: 5:04pm On Aug 09, 2017
Of course it would be daft to someone devoid of critical reasoning. You mentioned it yourself that the fact of the matter is that the SS seaports were and are shallow. The question is why open a thread asking questions whose answers you already know and clearly stated?

PS: There is nothing like eastern region anymore. Might as well refer to Delta as Mid-West then.
Blue3k:

That's a daft response was it meant to be a deep sea port? The answer is No. The federal government know this in 1991 when the established delta port. The know Calabar was shallow in 1969 when the took over the port operations.

Let me guess you want government to spend tons of cash dredging shallow ports instead of just focusing on developing places in east with potential to be deep seaports.

PS: Akwa and Cross River both have section where deeps seaports can be established that aren't shallow.

Lalasticlala hit me with front page let's put this issue to bed ounce and for all.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Amberon11: 5:08pm On Aug 09, 2017
Lol...the way these igbos scream marginalization you would think they are the real drivers of the nation's economy.
shukuokukobambi:

Forget that thing. The eternal crybabies will find a reason to scream marginalization no matter what you do and in any case, like Amberon11 said, the ports are in the SS or Niger Delta so how e take concern them sef? angry

22 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by shukuokukobambi: 5:12pm On Aug 09, 2017
Amberon11:
Lol...the way these igbos scream marginalization you would think they are the real drivers of the nation's economy.

You can't really blame them. Those lies have been drilled into them from the womb and being the tactless chest beaters and tacky showmen they are, they will always shout it on the roof tops no matter how senseless or baseless it is cheesy

31 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by ProWalker: 5:18pm On Aug 09, 2017
Amberon11:
Stop confusing the SS for the eastern region. They are two very different things.

Sorry for the last rough encounter I had with you, it was a case of mistaken identity.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by OkoNDOoBo: 5:22pm On Aug 09, 2017
lala I use shuku onike alakoba beg you move this thread to front page let's put an end to the conspiracy theory of pigs and idiots .

15 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Blue3k(m): 5:25pm On Aug 09, 2017
Amberon11:
Of course it would be daft to someone devoid of critical reasoning. You mentioned it yourself that the fact of the matter is that the SS seaports were and are shallow. The question is why open a thread asking questions whose answers you already know and clearly stated?

PS: There is nothing like eastern region anymore. Might as well refer to Delta as Mid-West then.

Lol defending a dumb statement by doubling down. Not every port is a deep seaport. The fact it's not doesn't make it dysfunctional unless you think the only ports that should exist are deep seaports.

The thread was opened to see if anyone can disprove this. Nobody been able to so far. Only clown responses from guys like yourself sadly.

Ps: The eastern ports don't refer to regional governments. It refers to the location. This why Eastern Port Headquarters oversees those ports. You would know this but daft responses are your specialty.

http://www.nigerianports.org/dynamicdata/EPorts.aspx?Pid=337

8 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by Omofunaab2: 5:27pm On Aug 09, 2017
@Blue3k, what do you have to say about Onitsha river port? I think the igbos are more interested in that

7 Likes

Re: Are Eastern Ports Dysfunctional? by ProWalker: 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
Omofunaab2:
@Blue3k, what do you have to say about Onitsha river port? I think the igbos are more interested in that

Naaaaaaahh!! Just mention Nnamdi Kanu and you will see them like herd trooping in here.
What is happening here now at the moment is a little bit confusing to them. grin grin

24 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PDP Leads 9 Out Of 11 Lgas Declared In Plateau / 2023: Peter Obi’s Group Mocks Atiku, Calls Him A "Seventh Time Aspirant" / Prove Your Allegations Against Us, INEC Dares PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.