Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,216 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Bathing A New Born Baby. . . - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bathing A New Born Baby. . . (41549 Views)

Photo Of A Proud Dad Bathing His New Born Baby Goes Viral On FB / 28 Year Old Mother Dumps New Born Baby In A Nylon Bag On The Street (photo) / Heartless Mother Throws Her New Born Baby In A Gutter With Its Placenta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:21am On Jan 25, 2013
MIL was telling me that's better to bathe the child 2 or 3 times a week.

I find it weird, but is there anything wrong with bathing babies morning and evening. With the massage that comes with it. undecided
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:34am On Jan 25, 2013
Vikin: MIL was telling me that's better to bathe the child 2 or 3 times a week.

I find it weird, but is there anything wrong with bathing babies morning and evening. With the massage hat comes with it. undecided

Tsk tsk tsk.... Noooooooo once a day wherever you live on the globe Abeg... Wetin you dey baff for tiny body ?
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:37am On Jan 25, 2013
Bring the baby in the tub with your wrist /palm supporting the head... First wash the hair quick and dry with washcloth, damp same washcloth in warm water and wipe the face with it ... Head area done

The body, put soap in same washcloth and wash the front and back respectively & rinse, , bring baby out dry with warm towel( I use blanket warmer wink) and dress up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:49am On Jan 25, 2013
jidegirl12:

Tsk tsk tsk.... Noooooooo once a day wherever you live on the globe Abeg... Wetin you dey baff for tiny body ?

Tiny body? The bum bum no dey see shit? Some says it makes the baby skin too dry.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:53am On Jan 25, 2013
jidegirl12: Bring the baby in the tub with your wrist /palm supporting the head... First wash the hair quick and dry with washcloth, damp same washcloth in warm water and wipe the face with it ... Head area done

The body, put soap in same washcloth and wash the front and back respectively & rinse, , bring baby out dry with warm towel( I use blanket warmer wink) and dress up.

What about the massage thingy. Hope no bow leg or hand will form if I don't massage the baby. Am used to seeing mothers massage little babies, putting their hands behind their back, but since its MIL that will be doing omugo, she wouldn't do all that so am tempted to hide and massage that little baby the Naija way. smiley

Hoping it doesn't get me in trouble.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:56am On Jan 25, 2013
Vikin:

Tiny body? The bum bum no dey see shit? Some says it makes the baby skin too dry.

Yes twice a day it's too much IMO... That's why we have wipes and disposable washcloths with infused soap... damp and viola ! wash all the poopy area if wipe's not satisfactory for you.

It also dries up the skin true ...
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 3:58am On Jan 25, 2013
Vikin:

What about the massage thingy. Hope no bow leg or hand will form if I don't massage the baby. Am used to seeing mothers massage little babies, putting their hands behind their back, but since its MIL that will be doing omugo, she wouldn't do all that so am tempted to hide and massage that little baby the Naija way. smiley

Hoping it doesn't get me in trouble.

I will snap that your hand if you massage any thingy there! grin

Let MIL do all her magic and that's it... don't go massaging Naija way Abeg cheesy where're you getting all these tips from?
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 4:03am On Jan 25, 2013
jidegirl12:

I will snap that your hand if you massage any thingy there! grin

Let MIL do all her magic and that's it... don't go massaging Naija way Abeg cheesy where're you getting all these tips from?

From my sister o! cheesy

None of my family is with me here and hubby's family have their own way of doing that which I find totally different. No be my fault na, that's why I want to know. I don't want the baby having this Bowlegs and cone head and later blame me in future for not doing the massage.

I trust ya judgement but I will still massage am small Sha, just in case cheesy
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 4:21am On Jan 25, 2013
Vikin:

From my sister o! cheesy

None of my family is with me here and hubby's family have their own way of doing that which I find totally different. No be my fault na, that's why I want to know. I don't want the baby having this Bowlegs and cone head and later blame me in future for not doing the massage.

Bow-legs how?... I thought God already perfect his work in there? I didn't do any massage cross my heart and they're all perfect... I get you... na so first child dey shark .. Let him/her arrive and you'll turn to momma tiger in a click cheesy
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by damiso(f): 4:40am On Jan 25, 2013
jidegirl12: Bring the baby in the tub with your wrist /palm supporting the head... First wash the hair quick and dry with washcloth, damp same washcloth in warm water and wipe the face with it ... Head area done

Easiest way to go round it.Hubby had to do the first bath for my daughter as my mum could not come down for the first few months and i was in pain for the first 7 days(sorry to scare you wink wink).That was the method he used and we then applied olive oil as even one of the oyinbo nurses had advised at the hospital.My mum was horrified and ordered someone in from as far as manchester to sha do that naija bathing in.I told her oyinbos dont do all this ur ceremony and contrary to what u guys think(most naijas)they dont all stink grin.That one is down to personal hygiene as an adult.I did not allow the aunty throw my child in the air sha.

With my son,mum was around and did the whole shebang(excluding throwing up i no gree almost fainted from my childs cries at circumsision so u can imagine how jumpy i am).

p.s gosh being a parent is so exhausting.10month old wey don dey sleep thru just started waking up again.He is teething but now they(him.and daddy) are snoring happily and i cant sleep embarassed embarassed
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by cibilola(f): 8:33am On Jan 25, 2013
Nice to re-visit this thread!

Since making this thread, I have had two little ones. The first one is 2 years and 5months and the second is 6 months. Both were subjected to most part of the Nigerian way of bathing newborns. The second one only endured a few days of this treatment when I told my mom I will take it from there... lol. I used olive oil and Shea butter to bath and massage baby and baby's skin looks beautiful (even if I do so say so myself grin)

My verdict, I don't think it's necessary.

PS: I refused to sit on a hot water potty. I gave my bottom and lady-bits the royal treatment it deserved by having a sitz bath twice daily. kiss
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 25, 2013
Can someone please tell me 'the Nigerian' way of bathing a new born undecided
I live in Nigeria and I've not seen where they massage a baby's head with palm oil shocked shocked
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 25, 2013

Honestly, this is the ONLY way I know to bathe a baby . . .
Am I missing something here undecided
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 25, 2013
Ujujoan: Can someone please tell me 'the Nigerian' way of bathing a new born undecided
I live in Nigeria and I've not seen where they massage a baby's head with palm oil shocked shocked

I don't know about the palm oil, but the massaging it's crazy, at times making the baby to sleep more than required. cheesy

Enough bending and stretching of hands and legs. Pulling the legs s backward and also the hands.

You need to hear the baby cry and cry until no tears left!
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 25, 2013
cibilola: Nice to re-visit this thread!

Since making this thread, I have had two little ones. The first one is 2 years and 5months and the second is 6 months. Both were subjected to most part of the Nigerian way of bathing newborns. The second one only endured a few days of this treatment when I told my mom I will take it from there... lol. I used olive oil and Shea butter to bath and massage baby and baby's skin looks beautiful (even if I do so say so myself grin)

My verdict, I don't think it's necessary.

PS: I refused to sit on a hot water potty. I gave my bottom and lady-bits the royal treatment it deserved by having a sitz bath twice daily. kiss
You are now a graduate! cheesy

Sorry I had to use ur classroom. Good to hear you are doing great
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 25, 2013
jidegirl12:

Bow-legs how?... I thought God already perfect his work in there? I didn't do any massage cross my heart and they're all perfect... I get you... na so first child dey shark .. Let him/her arrive and you'll turn to momma tiger in a click cheesy

Thanks dear, keeping my eyes open
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Tobiegal(f): 10:17am On Jan 25, 2013
This is so funny, and frankly it brings back memories.

The 1st bath was done by my hubby's grandma...da means, my son's great grand ma... and who am i to tell her what to do with her great grand son, when even the boy's grand mother was simply standing there?

So, yes... she did all d yoruba-like ceremonial bath...with d palm-oil plus traditional sponge... the throwing up and giving dimples...to the molding or rather head re-molding... the boy cried his lungs out...and i could take it...just walked away to sob a little... wen she was done, and dressed, i was glad to have my baby in my arms... he sucked like he hadn't since he was born and slept off like a baby...

While she did wot she did, she was also telling me why she was doing it.

For instance, throwing him up in the air... so that he wont be fearful
bathing with d palm-oil....so that all blood-like particles that my have been hidden in d hair or hand-pit could come off..

So, when my friend put to bed in the US and was told not to bath her baby atal... you can just imagine my reaction.

But, would i allow it to be done d naija/yoruba way again.... capital YES.

After all, am a naija babe and proud to be one.

2 Likes

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by damiso(f): 12:11pm On Jan 25, 2013
Ujujoan: Can someone please tell me 'the Nigerian' way of bathing a new born undecided

I think maybe its a yoruba thing.And its thought to be the 'first' proper bath when baby comes home as i dont think any hosiptal will allow all those rituals.With my son,my mum came from Nigeria with a bathing kit grin.There was black soap for teething,for skin,alum,native sponge(did not allow her use it though),one thing like that they use for massaging the umblical cord area.In short it was like the boy was goin to literarily empty his tear sac.But grin make i no lie he slept till the next morning after that bath wink

And then me,uhmm she brought pepper soup things,brandy(am like mum i am breastfeeding),after 3 days of enduring her burning and yes it was burning my tummy,i told her il hit the gym to get rid of the tummy.
Gosh it was painful.Then i had to sit on hot water and dettol which i endured for two weeks and then said no more esp as the health visitor said i was ok down below.It was over the top but funny enough i enjoyed it cos with my first it was me and my hubby doing trial and error with parenting books cheesy cheesy.She is fine by the
way wink

I think its more like a cultural thing cos my mum as of today o(not future the woman has two second degrees) is more educated and well traveled than i am so it really is not something just uneducated peeps do.

1 Like

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by smartmom(f): 10:46am On Jan 26, 2013
New moms, just do what is safe for your baby and once the baby is clean in all the crevices and folds, that is all that is necessary.
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 26, 2013

Palm oil is used for first birth and mostly by Yorubas... I use extra virgin olive oil instead and served the same purpose...it removes the amniotic flakes easily ... Aveeno makes bath treatment/therapy set and can be used for first bath too.

Massage a reasonable amount of oil all over the newborn body and follow the same steps of bath.

Note: you don't have to remove all the oil first night cos you want the baby in& out of the tub ASAP cos they catch cold easily.... hence another problem
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2013
jidegirl12:

Palm oil is used for first birth and mostly by Yorubas... I use extra virgin olive oil instead and served the same purpose...it removes the amniotic flakes easily ... Aveeno makes bath treatment/therapy set and can be used for first bath too.

Massage a reasonable amount of oil all over the newborn body and follow the same steps of bath.

Note: you don't have to remove all the oil first night cos you want the baby in& out of the tub ASAP cos they catch cold easily.... hence another problem

Now this is getting complicated! embarassed

But thanks for the tip. Am just wondering how am gonna hold that tiny baby in the slippery bath and at the same time timing how long baby stays in there etc.

Na wah! I believe I will scale through.

The umbilical cord is another one too. sad
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by damiso(f): 8:09pm On Jan 26, 2013
Vikin:

Now this is getting complicated! embarassed

But thanks for the tip. Am just wondering how am gonna hold that tiny baby in the slippery bath and at the same time timing how long baby stays in there etc.

Na wah! I believe I will scale through.

The umbilical cord is another one too. sad
Dont worry ul be fine. wink.As jidegirl a
has said you can olive oil instead of palm oil.If my husband who was(still is sometimes lipsrsealed)as impatient as anything could bath a baby you can.And my baby was not a big baby.Somebody had to bite the bullet to do it.

As for the umblical cord area before it drops its best left alone.Just make sure the area round it dry.After it drops off you can then use a flannel folded into a ball place it on a warm iron and place on the belly button.With my daughter i felt it was not necessary but she was a cry cry baby and had colic, i noticed that after i did that she settled much better at night.With my son my mum used one herb thing like that wrapped in a cloth with a warm iron(traditionally they use kerosene lanterns).
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 26, 2013
Thank Damiso, as for the umbilical cord care... before , we use rubbing alcohol but now as per the health and safety standards ... warm water is only recommended( use damp cotton balls to wipe gently day and night and that's it)

Damiso what your mom used was the dropped cord with other herbs... very good if you have the luxury .. you're lucky. grin

The oil( for first bath) just makes a whole lot of difference on the child's skin ...It glows and meern it's different.

Vikin I really wish I could come over and stay with you for a while grin but you'll be fine don't worry...just calm down everything will fall into place gradually... It doesn't have to be perfect.

Note; NO SOAP ON THE FACE PLS!! grin
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 26, 2013
jidegirl12: Thank Damiso, as for the umbilical cord care... before , we use rubbing alcohol but now as per the health and safety standards ... warm water is only recommended( use damp cotton balls to wipe gently day and night and that's it)

Damiso what your mom used was the dropped cord with other herbs... very good if you have the luxury .. you're lucky. grin

The oil( for first bath) just makes a whole lot of difference on the child's skin ...It glows and meern it's different.

Vikin I really wish I could come over and stay with you for a while grin but you'll be fine don't worry...just calm down everything will fall into place gradually... It doesn't have to be perfect.

Note; NO SOAP ON THE FACE PLS!! grin

Lol at no soap on the face, I was gonna ask that...in case I mistakingly rub soap in the eyes! That one na serious matter. What if its soap from the damp bath towel that pops off straight to the eyes.anyway, Naija blood is there, it won't blind her Sha but will make her stronger cool

MIL is working, am even better than hubby 200 times, no immediate family, so am on my own...doing a lot of research too about this. Because I know after now, no time for Internet sef.

embarassed
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jan 26, 2013
damiso:
Dont worry ul be fine. wink.As jidegirl a
has said you can olive oil instead of palm oil.If my husband who was(still is sometimes lipsrsealed)as impatient as anything could bath a baby you can.And my baby was not a big baby.Somebody had to bite the bullet to do it.

As for the umblical cord area before it drops its best left alone.Just make sure the area round it dry.After it drops off you can then use a flannel folded into a ball place it on a warm iron and place on the belly button.With my daughter i felt it was not necessary but she was a cry cry baby and had colic, i noticed that after i did that she settled much better at night.With my son my mum used one herb thing like that wrapped in a cloth with a warm iron(traditionally they use kerosene lanterns).

Hmmm...thanks for the tip, it's well!
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by smartmom(f): 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
Vikin:

From my sister o! cheesy

No mind all the fish wives tales of cone heads and bowlegs and flat yansh(for d girls wink) whatever way d baby is formed is all done by the time they are born so no shaking. The only cone head is the kaput for 1st babies and it will later naturally resolve anyway. The only time olive oil is used is for the 1st cleaning of the natural waxy stuff on the babies skins from inside. No palm oil needed. I have 4 kids and from my part of the world, we dont do palm oil baths though I see some moms throw babies in the air( to toughen them for eventual falls angry) but none of mine ever had that done to them and they are all alive, strong and smell normal so dont succumb to all that hype you hear

1 Like

Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by smartmom(f): 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
@Vikin, matter of fact, there is hardly anything you wont be able to handle. There is this innate thing that d good lord instils during d pregnancy period that tells you what you need to do at each time. It may not be the norm but take it easy, you will do well. You will testify. The baby wont slip from your hands and you wont pour water into her nostrils or eyes. Just be confident that you wont hurt your baby ok? na you borm am grin

Make sure you let us know when my DIL is born sha.Dont keep us wondering. Still praying for you both! kiss
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
smartmom: @Vikin, matter of fact, there is hardly anything you wont be able to handle. There is this innate thing that d good lord instils during d pregnancy period that tells you what you need to do at each time. It may not be the norm but take it easy, you will do well. You will testify. The baby wont slip from your hands and you wont pour water into her nostrils or eyes. Just be confident that you wont hurt your baby ok? na you borm am grin

Make sure you let us know when my DIL is born sha.Dont keep us wondering. Still praying for you both! kiss

Thanks dear kiss
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by ateke2(m): 12:32pm On Mar 18, 2013
Bump
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2013
Am a professional now smiley....and she likes swimming, so after bath I leave her in the tub for few minutes..problem now is her stomach...it hurts so much sometimes. embarassed
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 18, 2013
Vikin: Am a professional now smiley....and she likes swimming, so after bath I leave her in the tub for few minutes..problem now is her stomach...it hurts so much sometimes. embarassed

Hurts how? Gas probably? Do you have Ovol drops there? Works great for small tummy... Also gripe water is another choice ( but peds prefer gripe water after 4weeks) but if you can find Ovol that'll be great.

http://www.ovol.ca/en/default.php
Re: Bathing A New Born Baby. . . by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
^^^^ I wil need to ask for ovol or biogaia product.

The doc says its ok, it may clear by 3 months or less....but she cringes and. Makes hurting noise as a result of this most times embarassed.

Most times she tries not to cry but can't help it sometimes....

Some even suggest I massage her belly button and stomach with warm water.

I don tire....I Neva sleep better sleep sef!

Thanks o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arab Woman Places Advert In Newspaper To Praise Her Kenyan Househelp (photos) / Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / A Nairalanders Wedding: To An Ethiopian Beauty!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.