Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians (50812 Views)

"Ladies Now Offering Sex To Uber/Taxify Drivers As Payment" / Taxify Driver Shows Up Tying Towel (Photos) / 4 Ways Nigerians Can Take A Luxury Trip Abroad Without Spending A Fortune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by AutoJoshNG: 5:06pm On Aug 11, 2017
Uber and Taxify are currently the top cab hailing apps in Nigeria. They are extreme rivals, however, their services are rendered to the similar customers using the same cars and drivers in most cases. The service is far better than where we are coming from but we can’t stop there. It is also important to note that these organisations cheat us in one way or the other and I will mention 4 ways that comes to mind.

They take longer routes
This particular issue is so sad. Their navigation systems and some drivers have been programmed to take you through longer routes in order to get the maximum bucks out of every trip. Few weeks ago, I booked Taxify from Ikeja Computer Village to Ijora. Before I knew it, the driver and his navigation entered Awolowo Road to go take 3rd Mainland Bridge through the old toll gate area.

Then I asked the driver to turn and take Ikorodu Road through Maryland which he did. All through the trip, the map kept telling us to make a U-Turn and go through 3rd Mainland even after we got to Anthony on Ikorodu Road, the map kept asking us to re-route. Just Imagine taking 3rd Mainland Bridge from Anthony to Ijora. Too bad! .. If you are thinking there was traffic on Ikorodu Road, no.. there wasn’t.

Just this week again someone who was going from Ijesha express to Ilupeju (10 minutes journey) was taken all the way to Ikorodu Road through Stadium (30 minutes journey).. your transport fare will be more than double.

So it is better you to know the best route to your destination.

Cancellation of trip before pick up
Uber charges N1,000 request cancellation fee and it became even worse after their drivers became disgruntled with them.. so the drivers started taking advantage of that. They will accept your pick up request with prior knowledge of not coming to pick you up. Then they will cancel your request after 5 minutes with an excuse that they can’t come pick you again.

Despite the cancellation being the driver’s fault, Uber will deduct the N1,000 from you card immediately or they’ll add it to your next trip fare. See trouble o!

Rickety cars
Sometimes you’ll be feeling cool that you just requested a cab through your phone expecting a fully air conditioned and stress free ride. Instead, some cars will just arrive with terrible shock absorbers, fuel smell inside the car or AC not working. Has anyone experienced this? Tell us your experience.

Surge pricing
You’ll get adverts on price discounts flooding your phone but when you are actually booking a trip, everything will be on surge. Do the calculation, they give you 20% discount but surge price is 1.3x. Maintaining the status quo is sometimes better.

Do you have any that comes to your mind? Tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/4-ways-uber-and-taxify-are-cheating-nigerians/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by blackylola(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2017
Its neither Uber nor Taxify that program google map. 2nd Taxify doesn't charge rider for cancellation. 3rd there is nothing like scam there, get your fact right before coming to the public

148 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by djeezy(m): 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2017
If this is really true then that's too bad. It's much more better when you know the route. It's not just Uber or Taxify. An average taxi driver wil find a way to extort you by taking longer routes expecially if you're a newbie or not familiar with the route. Some might even tell you they are avoiding hold up and all that.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
wetin concern agbero with overload... I never enter danfo finish na uber

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2017

10 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by KayDEAN(m): 8:34pm On Aug 11, 2017
Why are you complaining, is it now our fault that you wanted to call Uber, what do you want us to do now, buy car for you?

Oya come and be going grin grin grin
See signature

18 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by MhizzAJ(f): 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
what's my bizness with uber

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Sanchase: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
Ok
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Profkomolafe(m): 8:36pm On Aug 11, 2017
Uber ko, ubah ni!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by grandstar(m): 8:37pm On Aug 11, 2017
I have never used Uber so no comment here. I only wish I owned 10% of the company!!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ojceskills(m): 8:38pm On Aug 11, 2017
blackylola:
Its neither Uber nor Taxify that program google map. 2nd Taxify doesn't charge rider for cancellation. 3rd there is nothing like scam there, get your fact right before coming to the public
Please tell him/her again.

5 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Okoyiboz3: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
It's unfortunate that someone who is supposed to know much about cars is saying Google maps is programmed to make cars take longer routes.

This is what happens when someone who regularly does copy and paste attempts to come up with something original. He ends up disgracing himself.

AutoJoshNG, basic commonsense would tell you that Google maps when used for directions gives you the fastest routes and not the shortest route.

Go and read up more and stop disgracing yourself here.

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Dramadiddy(m): 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
moral of the story; don't link your debit card with uber or taxify app

23 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by cyberwinner1(m): 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2017
Is that all? Who them epp?
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Fuadeiza(m): 8:43pm On Aug 11, 2017
Wah
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by babajero(m): 8:44pm On Aug 11, 2017
Rickety cars
Sometimes you’ll be feeling cool that you just requested a cab through your phone expecting a fully air conditioned and stress free ride. Instead, some cars will just arrive with terrible shock absorbers, fuel smell inside the car or AC not working. Has anyone experienced this? Tell us your experience.

If you haven't experienced it why bring it up? You just want to say something right? Please if you know you are jobless go look for a car register with Uber or taxify and start working instead of discrediting them.

13 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Richy4(m): 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2017
I just want to know...if uber is present in Nigeria, does that mean GPS is working everywhere in Nigeria...Or just only some states..
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Luckygurl(f): 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2017
smiley
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by babajero(m): 8:47pm On Aug 11, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
Uber and Taxify are currently the top cab hailing apps in Nigeria. They are extreme rivals, however, their services are rendered to the similar customers using the same cars and drivers in most cases. The service is far better than where we are coming from but we can’t stop there. It is also important to note that these organisations cheat us in one way or the other and I will mention 4 ways that comes to mind.

They take longer routes
This particular issue is so sad. Their navigation systems and some drivers have been programmed to take you through longer routes in order to get the maximum bucks out of every trip. Few weeks ago, I booked Taxify from Ikeja Computer Village to Ijora. Before I knew it, the driver and his navigation entered Awolowo Road to go take 3rd Mainland Bridge through the old toll gate area.

Then I asked the driver to turn and take Ikorodu Road through Maryland which he did. All through the trip, the map kept telling us to make a U-Turn and go through 3rd Mainland even after we got to Anthony on Ikorodu Road, the map kept asking us to re-route. Just Imagine taking 3rd Mainland Bridge from Anthony to Ijora. Too bad! .. If you are thinking there was traffic on Ikorodu Road, no.. there wasn’t.

Just this week again someone who was going from Ijesha express to Ilupeju (10 minutes journey) was taken all the way to Ikorodu Road through Stadium (30 minutes journey).. your transport fare will be more than double.

So it is better you to know the best route to your destination.

Cancellation of trip before pick up
Uber charges N1,000 request cancellation fee and it became even worse after their drivers became disgruntled with them.. so the drivers started taking advantage of that. They will accept your pick up request with prior knowledge of not coming to pick you up. Then they will cancel your request after 5 minutes with an excuse that they can’t come pick you again.

Despite the cancellation being the driver’s fault, Uber will deduct the N1,000 from you card immediately or they’ll add it to your next trip fare. See trouble o!

Rickety cars

Surge pricing
You’ll get adverts on price discounts flooding your phone but when you are actually booking a trip, everything will be on surge. Do the calculation, they give you 20% discount but surge price is 1.3x. Maintaining the status quo is sometimes better.

Do you have any that comes to your mind? Tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/4-ways-uber-and-taxify-are-cheating-nigerians/

(Rickety car)
If you haven't experienced it why bring it up? You just want to say something right? Please if you know you are jobless go look for a car register with Uber or taxify and start working instead of discrediting them.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Richy4(m): 8:48pm On Aug 11, 2017
Dramadiddy:
moral of the story; don't link your debit card with uber or taxify app

There's no way u can use the services of Uber without a debit card... I don't know about nigeria though but they don't take cash

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Romeo3(m): 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2017
ignorance. ..

google maps has now turned to uber programming.

rabbish.

i am an uber driver and i meet a lot of these chaps daily.... they are so ignorant of their surroundings. and they never do more than 5 kms. grin

always looking for something to complain about. i dont waste time in rating them 1 star.

8 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ashawopikin(m): 8:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
lofty900:
wetin concern agbero with overload... I never enter danfo finish na uber
MY BRODA your head is dia

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by XKZ(m): 8:53pm On Aug 11, 2017
blackylola:

The fact that Uber uses Google Maps for map data doesn't mean that Google is responsible for navigation. Uber does it's own routing.

9 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Cassie74: 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
Richy4:

There's no way u can use the services of Uber without a debit card... I don't know about nigeria though but they don't take cash

They do here
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Romeo3(m): 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
Richy4:

there is a cash option for naija....
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Ladipodeal: 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
1000 naira charged for cancellation only if driver gets to the point of pick up as stated on the app and is kept waiting for 10mins.
Most drivers rely on route provided by google map and might have zero knowledge of the area. It is best if you advice on best route if you have a better knowledge of the road.
At times drivers drive more than 30mins on some terrible roads trying to locate pickup and is kept waiting for a 300naira trip.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ndcide(m): 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
All this mba of a thing sef..
What of the red and yellow tax, abi all of them don convert to mba?
So person whe one go oyingbo market from Yaba go still dey find mba?
Nwanne, mbanuu.

7 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 8:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
Richy4:

My guess is , he haven't got a clue!
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Romeo3(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2017
XKZ:

The fact that Uber uses Google Maps for map data doesn't mean that Google is responsible for navigation. Uber does it's own routing.
ignorant talk.

google always takes over navigation from the uber app....

if you do not know, ask the next uber driver to show you so that you avoid such ignorant comments next time on a public forum.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2017
Romeo3:
there is a cash option for naija....
That is risky though

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Racially Abused A White Man On Train Going To London (Pictures) / FG To Shut Third Mainland Bridge For Six Months / The Arik Airline Passenger Seat An Expatriate Saw Today (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.