Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,478 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians (50880 Views)

"Ladies Now Offering Sex To Uber/Taxify Drivers As Payment" / Taxify Driver Shows Up Tying Towel (Photos) / 4 Ways Nigerians Can Take A Luxury Trip Abroad Without Spending A Fortune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ikevictor22(m): 6:00am On Aug 12, 2017
the writer is broke that's why!
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Memyselfu2009(m): 6:04am On Aug 12, 2017
djeezy:
If this is really true then that's too bad. It's much more better when you know the route. It's not just Uber or Taxify. An average taxi driver wil find a way to extort you by taking longer routes expecially if you're a newbie or not familiar with the route. Some might even tell you they are avoiding hold up and all that.

An average taxi would take u no more unless you guys negiociate on a price first and when there is hold up you are do pay more then what the what you agreed one paying but uber and taxify search you more if it take more time to reach your destination.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by djeezy(m): 6:21am On Aug 12, 2017
Memyselfu2009:

An average taxi would take u no more unless you guys negiociate on a price first and when there is hold up you are do pay more then what the what you agreed one paying but uber and taxify search you more if it take more time to reach your destination.
okay thanks
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by drnoel: 6:27am On Aug 12, 2017
blackylola:
Its neither Uber nor Taxify that program google map. 2nd Taxify doesn't charge rider for cancellation. 3rd there is nothing like scam there, get your fact right before coming to the public

Thank you for those wise words

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Richy4(m): 7:09am On Aug 12, 2017
hedonistic:
Nothing good lasts in Nigeria. Very soon, and I mean, very very soon, Nigerians would spoil this lovely ride sharing concept with their obnoxious attitude, especially the drivers.

Recently in the same Lagos, I requested an Uber (in a very busy 'high brow' high street) that showed 4 minutes away on the uber interface. I monitored the movement and saw that it was approaching, and then 1 minute away.... 1 minute turned to 20 minutes and yet I didn't receive his call or saw "driver has arrived".. Only to call him and notice that his number was switched off. Next thing, the idiot cancelled and I was charged N1k! I called his number endlessly but couldn't reach him and yet couldn't request another Uber because I just could not pay an additional unjust N1k for any reason, even if I had a billion naira in cash.

After firing a couple of emails to uber they cancelled the N1k penalty. My subsequent uber ride in the same Lagos opened my eyes to this new scam, as the driver told me that it's their way of getting back at uber for the supposedly low fares.

But why should the drivers be so disgruntled and then take it out on riders? Nigerians are a sick bunch, really. Dem no force anybody work. If you don't like the terms, you quit! You can't stay in the job and make other people's lives miserable with your dirty attitude.

You are sincere in this your post man... It's just like when every thing good arrive the nation, People's heart worked swiftly to destroy that..I heard recently that portable card machine that is used all over the world to help companies transact business easy is now in the country, and thieves has started using it by going house to house to rob people with it...what a nation..

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by shevon: 7:17am On Aug 12, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

They take longer routes
This particular issue is so sad. Their navigation systems and some drivers have been programmed to take you through longer routes in order to get the maximum bucks out of every trip. Few weeks ago, I booked Taxify from Ikeja Computer Village to Ijora. Before I knew it, the driver and his navigation entered Awolowo Road to go take 3rd Mainland Bridge through the old toll gate area.

Then I asked the driver to turn and take Ikorodu Road through Maryland which he did. All through the trip, the map kept telling us to make a U-Turn and go through 3rd Mainland even after we got to Anthony on Ikorodu Road, the map kept asking us to re-route. Just Imagine taking 3rd Mainland Bridge from Anthony to Ijora. Too bad! .. If you are thinking there was traffic on Ikorodu Road, no.. there wasn’t.

Just this week again someone who was going from Ijesha express to Ilupeju (10 minutes journey) was taken all the way to Ikorodu Road through Stadium (30 minutes journey).. your transport fare will be more than double.

So it is better you to know the best route to your destination.

Cancellation of trip before pick up
Uber charges N1,000 request cancellation fee and it became even worse after their drivers became disgruntled with them.. so the drivers started taking advantage of that. They will accept your pick up request with prior knowledge of not coming to pick you up. Then they will cancel your request after 5 minutes with an excuse that they can’t come pick you again.

Despite the cancellation being the driver’s fault, Uber will deduct the N1,000 from you card immediately or they’ll add it to your next trip fare. See trouble o!

Surge pricing
You’ll get adverts on price discounts flooding your phone but when you are actually booking a trip, everything will be on surge. Do the calculation, they give you 20% discount but surge price is 1.3x. Maintaining the status quo is sometimes better.

https://autojosh.com/4-ways-uber-and-taxify-are-cheating-nigerians/

Bros, you are sssooooo right about Uber on these 3 points. Heaven help you if you don't know your way around. Imagine me always booking Uber to take me from Awolowo Way, Ikeja to Beesam in Mafoluku and the app will be showing the driver the best route is Awolow Way-Medical Road-Agege Motor Rd-Ladipo-Ogundele to my final destination when the driver could have just taken Awolowo Way-Medical Rd.-Airport Rd to Beesam and saved nothing less than 20mins drive.
And the most annoying for me is charging of N1,000.00 every time their driver fail to come pick you. I booked one a few weeks ago, he was at Abba Johnson and was supposed to come pick my wife and baby at Lagoon Hospital on Adeniyi Jones (less than 1min drive o) despite asking us to wait for him, the driver drive past the hospital and headed towards the local airport. After an endless wait, Uber charged us N1,000.00 "for the driver's time". I was so pissed that even me wouldn't have taken the kind of email I wrote them as a joke, the idiotic Uber company wrote me back and said sometimes, the drivers can't make a pick up for technical reasons. Ha! Technical reason for someone that was supposed to pick us less than 1 minute away from where he was when we requested the ride? Who even told us to wait that he'd come but headed to the airport? What is so technical about that other than wickedness because he knew we'd still be charged for it?
I just jeje removed my card from the app and wished them all the best with their idiotic services.
For the surge pricing, that is share rip off. Drivers will be everywhere I yet they say there is surge due to high demands. Even these drivers will intentionally go offline as soon as it gets to certain period of the day to create scarcity thereby creating a situation for the surge.
They don't really care about their customers, all they are after is the money they'd make of the sub par service they offer.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by blackylola(m): 7:26am On Aug 12, 2017
shevon:

Bros, you are sssooooo right about Uber on these 3 points. Heaven help you if you don't know your way around. Imagine me always booking Uber to take me from Awolowo Way, Ikeja to Beesam in Mafoluku and the app will be showing the driver the best route is Awolow Way-Medical Road-Agege Motor Rd-Ladipo-Ogundele to my final destination when the driver could have just taken Awolowo Way-Medical Rd.-Airport Rd to Beesam and saved nothing less than 20mins drive.
And the most annoying for me is charging of N1,000.00 every time their driver fail to come pick you. I booked one a few weeks ago, he was at Abba Johnson and was supposed to come pick my wife and baby at Lagoon Hospital on Adeniyi Jones (less than 1min drive o) despite asking us to wait for him, the driver drive past the hospital and headed towards the local airport. After an endless wait, Uber charged us N1,000.00 "for the driver's time". I was so pissed that even me wouldn't have taken the kind of email I wrote them as a joke, the idiotic Uber company wrote me back and said sometimes, the drivers can't make a pick up for technical reasons. Ha! Technical reason for someone that was supposed to pick us less than 1 minute away from where he was when we requested the ride? Who even told us to wait that he'd come but headed to the airport? What is so technical about that other than wickedness because he knew we'd still be charged for it?
I just jeje removed my card from the app and wished them all the best with their idiotic services.
For the surge pricing, that is share rip off. Drivers will be everywhere I yet they say there is surge due to high demands. Even these drivers will intentionally go offline as soon as it gets to certain period of the day to create scarcity thereby creating a situation for the surge.
They don't really care about their customers, all they are after is the money they'd make of the sub par service they offer.
story that touched, to cut the story short you don't have their app again. Congrats
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by shevon: 7:30am On Aug 12, 2017
ikevictor22:
the writer is broke that's why!
I beg to disagree. These services are not a status thing (except you are using Uber Select) and most often than not, they are even cheaper and more comfortable than using your regular taxi. The only problem is the quality of service they office.
Take for instance the fee they charge for their driver not coming to pick up a rider, if you have you card on the app, they will definitely it your account and when you report the issue, they credit the money to your Uber account. What if the remaining money in your account is meant for another thing but you want to use the 1k to get another taxi service, how will you use the money credited to your Uber account to pay the Baba that'll come pick you up? What is the sanction they place in such drivers?
There are so many things they can do to ensure they don't charge riders unreasonably but choose not to because they know if they charge and credit the money to your Uber account, you would have no choice but to use them again until you exhaust the money in your wallet. Most times, you have to request for rides upwards of 3 times before you get someone to come pick you up.
It is just sad.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by shevon: 7:33am On Aug 12, 2017
blackylola:
story that touched, to cut the story short you don't have their app again. Congrats
smiley
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by FrankGiel: 8:25am On Aug 12, 2017
blackylola:
Its neither Uber nor Taxify that program google map. 2nd Taxify doesn't charge rider for cancellation. 3rd there is nothing like scam there, get your fact right before coming to the public
I was about writing a long sermon, but you are spot on.
The op needs to understand that even though Uber charges a cancellation fee, u are refunded immediately you complain.. Immediately! The only issue u raised that is simile valid is the surge issue..yet again, this is based on a computer programming thats compares the demand for drivers and the available driver. Once this ratio goes below a certain threshold,u will have am estimated surge percent dependent on the ratio severity..

If a car is dirty rickety etc ogbeni DO NOT ENTER, if he refuses to turn on the AC during the trip, do not pay him. And if its a card transaction report immediately and get refunded...
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by RicoBee(m): 9:00am On Aug 12, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
Uber and Taxify are currently the top cab hailing apps in Nigeria. They are extreme rivals, however, their services are rendered to the similar customers using the same cars and drivers in most cases. The service is far better than where we are coming from but we can’t stop there. It is also important to note that these organisations cheat us in one way or the other and I will mention 4 ways that comes to mind.

They take longer routes
This particular issue is so sad. Their navigation systems and some drivers have been programmed to take you through longer routes in order to get the maximum bucks out of every trip. Few weeks ago, I booked Taxify from Ikeja Computer Village to Ijora. Before I knew it, the driver and his navigation entered Awolowo Road to go take 3rd Mainland Bridge through the old toll gate area.

Then I asked the driver to turn and take Ikorodu Road through Maryland which he did. All through the trip, the map kept telling us to make a U-Turn and go through 3rd Mainland even after we got to Anthony on Ikorodu Road, the map kept asking us to re-route. Just Imagine taking 3rd Mainland Bridge from Anthony to Ijora. Too bad! .. If you are thinking there was traffic on Ikorodu Road, no.. there wasn’t.

Just this week again someone who was going from Ijesha express to Ilupeju (10 minutes journey) was taken all the way to Ikorodu Road through Stadium (30 minutes journey).. your transport fare will be more than double.

Uber charges N1,000 request cancellation fee and it became even worse after their drivers became disgruntled with them.. so the drivers started taking advantage of that. They will accept your pick up request with prior knowledge of not coming to pick you up. Then they will cancel your request after 5 minutes with an excuse that they can’t come pick you again.

Despite the cancellation being the driver’s fault, Uber will deduct the N1,000 from you card immediately or they’ll add it to your next trip fare. See trouble o!

Rickety cars
Sometimes you’ll be feeling cool that you just requested a cab through your phone expecting a fully air conditioned and stress free ride. Instead, some cars will just arrive with terrible shock absorbers, fuel smell inside the car or AC not working. Has anyone experienced this? Tell us your experience.

Surge pricing
You’ll get adverts on price discounts flooding your phone but when you are actually booking a trip, everything will be on surge. Do the calculation, they give you 20% discount but surge price is 1.3x. Maintaining the status quo is sometimes better.

Do you have any that comes to your mind? Tell us in the comment section.

The drivers are also deliberately slow so as to extend the length of time thereby charging you more
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Bondesniger(m): 10:18am On Aug 12, 2017
well not sure with Uber and Taxify
i experienced that in Surulere with a bike man he took me through a very long part and passed the house i was going he told me two street from here we will be at the point

i just told he i was not interested he should drop me i paid him less than we agreed
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by CelestineC(m): 11:44am On Aug 12, 2017
When will service's like this get to the east?

Can't wait to relocate to the west!
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ubox: 1:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
Richy4:
I just want to know...if uber is present in Nigeria, does that mean GPS is working everywhere in Nigeria...Or just only some states..
It's everywhere
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ImaIma1(f): 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2017
From my experience with both, i disagree. The driver always asks if i have a preferred route.
The cars were ok with the AC fully functional.
About the 1,000 refund, some people are actually irresponsible about booking a taxi. You cannot book and cancel when the driver is already on his way. We abuse some processes.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by blackylola(m): 2:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
RicoBee:

The drivers are also deliberately slow so as to extend the length of time thereby charging you more
its only a mumu driver that will drive slow to waste time because the highest you can benefit from driving slow is 100naira, the system calculate most of the fare on distance covered.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by vpaymoney(m): 6:41pm On Aug 12, 2017
Op is dunce and if we ask the op how many times have you entered Uber ? Maybe just once and u come here to rant? All this you wrote is full of ignorance with that your poverty stricken fingers.if you have ever been stranded on the road you just up your phone to order Uber and right there a car came to your rescue, you not think the way you think. The good about uber, Taxify,Ogt are more than the bad. Besides, its not by force. Use your what you are used to. Cabu cabu or better still, your normal danfo. OK? Don't come here ranting about nothing again.

AutoJoshNG:
Uber and Taxify are currently the top cab hailing apps in Nigeria. They are extreme rivals, however, their services are rendered to the similar customers using the same cars and drivers in most cases. The service is far better than where we are coming from but we can’t stop there. It is also important to note that these organisations cheat us in one way or the other and I will mention 4 ways that comes to mind.

They take longer routes

Rickety cars
Sometimes you’ll be feeling cool that you just requested a cab through your phone expecting a fully air conditioned and stress free ride. Instead, some cars will just arrive with terrible shock absorbers, fuel smell inside the car or AC not working. Has anyone experienced this? Tell us your experience.

Surge pricing

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Ejay99(f): 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2017
erico2k2:

That is risky though
its not its safer sometimes when i am been charged for unnecessary cancellation i don't pay for it and d uber driver cant do nothing about it i pay for just my fare ..
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2017
Ejay99:
its not its safer sometimes when i am been charged for unnecessary cancellation i don't pay for it and d uber driver cant do nothing about it i pay for just my fare ..
Not to you the passenger ?,I'm talking about the driver
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Konquest: 11:26pm On Nov 14, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

They take longer routes

Rickety cars

Surge pricing

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by rawdpiper(m): 6:35am On Nov 21, 2017
ImaIma1:
From my experience with both, i disagree. The driver always asks if i have a preferred route.
The cars were ok with the AC fully functional.
About the 1,000 refund, some people are actually irresponsible about booking a taxi. You cannot book and cancel when the driver is already on his way. We abuse some processes.

If the driver were the to take Lekki toll gate route, who gets to pay the toll fee? The passenger or Driver?
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Phonix1234: 3:13pm On Feb 28, 2019
Uber /taxify driver needed for rental, car toyota corolla 2005.. Driver living around ikotun, isolo, surulere, Ajao estate, buckno, Okota, Agor and festac shuld buzz should chat /call any of dis 07011304663 08051640287
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ClearDrive: 5:33pm On Mar 17, 2019
We currently require a reliable and experienced driver at Clear Drive Rides for a Honda City. Driver must have an active account on Uber and Bolt (with good ratings) and, be willing to provide guarantors. Preferably, driver should be resident within Lagos Mainland. If interested, call or WhatsApp 07016936038.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by ClearDrive: 5:34pm On Mar 17, 2019
We currently require a reliable and experienced driver at Clear Drive Rides for a Honda City. Driver must have an active account on Uber and Bolt (with good ratings) and, be willing to provide guarantors. Preferably, driver should be resident within the Mainland. If interested call or WhatsApp 07016936038.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Insectkiller: 10:21pm On Dec 19, 2019
U are a bomboclatt..

OP I disagree with u on dis one..

I always tell Taxify driver where (route to use) to follow whenever I request them and they attend to me politely..

I don't know about you.

cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wike Has Completed CFC Flyover Port Harcourt: Pictures / Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / Flight Resumption: Air Peace Flies All Its Aircrafts Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.