Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,702 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians (50887 Views)

"Ladies Now Offering Sex To Uber/Taxify Drivers As Payment" / Taxify Driver Shows Up Tying Towel (Photos) / 4 Ways Nigerians Can Take A Luxury Trip Abroad Without Spending A Fortune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Romeo3(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2017
XKZ:

All you see is a screen displaying information
Beneath the hood, Uber navigation algorithm has chosen a route and displays the chosen route over a map provided by Google maps.

I think I'll take your advice though and go to bed, this is becoming tiring...
good boy.

your ignorance was beginning to pain my eye
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2017
babajero:
your post is baseless, because you didn't justify the word "rickety" used. You were only feeling too big of yourself for entering "Tiny Light" like you called it.
you don't need to get upset because you drive a tiny light. People want uber for different reasons. One reason is the luxury. It may come disappointing when the car don't come upto expectation. You don't have to be get angry that some word is used to describe a ride.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 9:55pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:
I want to believe cash is not an option in the developed world because they operate most cashless. It's norm, preferred,easier for you to do transactions with your card. I am not sure it's because of trust issues.
It is, all other transport service uses cash in the first instance,,black cab,mini cab you name it.just UBER
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by hedonistic: 9:56pm On Aug 11, 2017
Nothing good lasts in Nigeria. Very soon, and I mean, very very soon, Nigerians would spoil this lovely ride sharing concept with their obnoxious attitude, especially the drivers.

Recently in the same Lagos, I requested an Uber (in a very busy 'high brow' high street) that showed 4 minutes away on the uber interface. I monitored the movement and saw that it was approaching, and then 1 minute away.... 1 minute turned to 20 minutes and yet I didn't receive his call or saw "driver has arrived".. Only to call him and notice that his number was switched off. Next thing, the idiot cancelled and I was charged N1k! I called his number endlessly but couldn't reach him and yet couldn't request another Uber because I just could not pay an additional unjust N1k for any reason, even if I had a billion naira in cash.

After firing a couple of emails to uber they cancelled the N1k penalty. My subsequent uber ride in the same Lagos opened my eyes to this new scam, as the driver told me that it's their way of getting back at uber for the supposedly low fares.

But why should the drivers be so disgruntled and then take it out on riders? Nigerians are a sick bunch, really. Dem no force anybody work. If you don't like the terms, you quit! You can't stay in the job and make other people's lives miserable with your dirty attitude.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Okoyiboz3: 9:58pm On Aug 11, 2017
XKZ:

Beneath the hood, Uber navigation algorithm has chosen a route and displays the chosen route over a map provided by Google maps.

Stop disgracing yourself and advertising your ignorance.

You keep making noise about things you don't understand. You first said it was Uber navigation, you're now saying it's Uber algorithm behind Google map.

Check the attached Screenshot. One from Uber app and one from Google maps. Same date, same time, same location. Taken just now. Nothing like algorithm, it's simply Google dictating the FASTEST route taking into consideration extraneous factors.

Please go to bed and spare us the ignorance

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 11, 2017
erico2k2:

It is, all other transport service uses cash in the first instance,,black cab,mini cab you name it.just UBER
the cabs you mentioned have been running that payment system before the ondemand type of Uber came I want to think.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 11, 2017
hedonistic:
Nothing good lasts in Nigeria. Very soon, and I mean, very very soon, Nigerians would spoil this lovely ride sharing concept with their obnoxious attitude, especially the drivers.

Recently in the same Lagos, I requested an Uber (in a very busy 'high brow' high street) that showed 4 minutes away on the uber interface. I monitored the movement and saw that it was approaching, and then 1 minute away.... 1 minute turned to 20 minutes and yet I didn't receive his call or saw "driver has arrived".. Only to call him and notice that his number was switched off. Next thing, the idiot cancelled and I was charged N1k! I called his number endlessly but couldn't reach him and yet couldn't request another Uber because I just could not pay an additional unjust N1k for any reason, even if I had a billion naira in cash.

After firing a couple of emails to uber they cancelled the N1k penalty. My subsequent uber ride in the same Lagos opened my eyes to this new scam, as the driver told me that it's their way of getting back at uber for the supposedly low fares.

But why should the drivers be so disgruntled and then take it out on riders? Nigerians are a sick bunch, really. Dem no force anybody work. If you don't like the terms, you quit! You can't stay in the job and make other people's lives miserable with your dirty attitude.
The 1k is unnecessary itself and it is is stupid thing being done. 100 naira would be better. The idea of Uber is that you are matched with the closest driver. Does it mean the driver has burnt 1K fuel. Even if you keep a driver waiting 10 minutes. His engine will be off and he can cancel the trip to attend to another customer. It's not just the driver to be blamed but Uber management. It isn't nice at all. The high patronage now does mean that local option can't come up.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 10:16pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:
the cabs you mentioned have been running that payment system before the ondemand type of Uber came I want to think.
I dont understand your question
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
erico2k2:

I dont understand your question
blackcabs and mini cabs used to be the conventional. They were the cabs used before uber's idea came. That is what I mean and they have been accepting cash before now I believe. I guess that's why they still continued with that payment system.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:
I have advised before that for these business to be sustainable in Nigeria. Proper background check should be done, perhaps do a personality checks like recruiters do online. It will help tell if the person is a fit. They should not just agree to every one that wants to drive under UBER or anyother. Customer is always right.

And strictly based on this thread you will never find me in a Uber/Taxify vehicle as it seems that they have a major customer service issue.

Anyways sha I'll just hire an "Okete Ibadan" for the day if necessary.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:26pm On Aug 11, 2017
Okoyiboz3:

Delete this post and stop disgracing yourself.

Delete what post ? Who do you think does routing ? Or you think the thousands of engineers at Uber are there for fun ?

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 11, 2017
hedonistic:

I've had to let many artisans go on my site for this lackluster approach to labor.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by babajero(m): 10:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:
you don't need to get upset because you drive a tiny light. People want uber for different reasons. One reason is the luxury. It may come disappointing when the car don't come upto expectation. You don't have to be get angry that some word is used to describe a ride.
My question to you is, have you ever priced a car to know how much Tiny Light costs in the market, that means if I own one i should be proud of myself. And what other luxury do you need in a ride than ' Ac, music and space' all which you can find in Tiny Light.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
babajero:
My question to you is, have you ever priced a car to know how much Tiny Light costs in the market, that means if I own one i should be proud of myself. And what other luxury do you need in a ride than ' Ac, music and space' all which you can find in Tiny Light.
I am sure there are 2016 rides driving Uber. Yes, be proud that you have spent 2 million on a ride but there is someone that can spend 10 million on a ride under UBER. Different people, different standards. At bolded, I may want to use UBER to a meetings with VVVVIP and won't to present that "kind" of image. I won't be happy when I see a tiny light comes pick me. Different customer, different need. Understand that pls!

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by tripoli007(m): 10:40pm On Aug 11, 2017
dubolog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T33BhWBM3Ls

Dagrin ..Barack ogrin keep resting in peace ... The streets miss youu...
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 11, 2017
I haven't had any of the problems you guys are talking about oh and I use uber almost all the time,even with the cancellation thingy you can easily ask for a refund and state the issue and they won't deduct your money.plus uber is hella cheap most times i don't bother driving when I think of the traffic and fuel for my car.thank God for uber

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by babajero(m): 10:54pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:
I am sure there are 2016 rides driving Uber. Yes, be proud that you have spent 2 million on a ride but there is someone that can spend 10 million on a ride under UBER. Different people, different standards. At bolded, I may want to use UBER to a meetings with VVVVIP and won't to present that "kind" of image. I won't be happy when I see a tiny light comes pick me. Different customer, different need. Understand that pls!
10 million naira to buy a car to drive in Uber, in Nigeria? I doubt you are an Igbo man, because no reasonable man will have to save 10millon just to buy car and drive in Uber in Nigeria. And you looking for a 10 million naira car to go for vvvvvvvip meeting how much are you willing to pay, is it that same token charged by Uber?
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 11, 2017
babajero:
10 million naira to buy a car to drive in Uber, in Nigeria? I doubt you are an Igbo man, because no reasonable man will have to save 10millon just to buy car and drive in Uber in Nigeria. And you looking for a 10 million naira car to go for vvvvvvvip meeting how much are you willing to pay, is it that same token charged by Uber?
@ first bolded, not everyone saves to buy a car and put under UBER. Some people have this money already. No be person get limousine and those exotic cars people hire for ceremonies? Stop assuming every one is like you... it's a silly assumption. @ second bolded, I don't know for uber but you have an option of choosing the spec of car you want for some on demand taxis and the price will differ depending on the type of ride. Yes tiny light is a good car, it may not just be someone's expectation. You don't have to take it personal. Thats my point.

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Okoyiboz3: 11:03pm On Aug 11, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Delete what post ? Who do you think does routing ? Or you think the thousands of engineers at Uber are there for fun ?

Lol.
Thousands of engineers indeed. I guess Taxify also has a thousand engineers also. Keep disgracing yourself.

Look at the screen shots below. I took them tonight at the same time in the same location. Now, let me clear your ignorance.

Google has navigation for walking, public transportation, cycling and cars. When you click on the mode of transportation, it gives you the fastest route using that mode and not the shortest route.

It's the one for cars the Uber uses and you're making noise that Uber employs thousands of engineers.

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Okoyiboz3: 11:10pm On Aug 11, 2017
babajero:

Who is this unenlightened fellow?
If you don't know about something, you should keep quiet.

Ever heard of Uber black?
It's Uber service l for Luxury cars and they cost well above 10M. That's where you have Range Rovers, GLs, MLs, G 55s and Prados.

The fact that you save to buy your pencil light should never mean that we should all buy pencil lights. I for one started life with an 06 Civic when everyone was buying pencil lights back then. Not knocking your hustle, but you should know that slippers get size.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 11:13pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:
blackcabs and mini cabs used to be the conventional. They were the cabs used before uber's idea came. That is what I mean and they have been accepting cash before now I believe. I guess that's why they still continued with that payment system.
Oyes deffo, but with black cabs you can now pay with cards but the option of cash comes first.Even on London buses and underground you can now pay with your con-tactless bank cards.
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:41pm On Aug 11, 2017
Okoyiboz3 pome59387533:

Lol.
Thousands of engineers indeed. I guess Taxify also has a thousand engineers also. Keep disgracing yourself.

Look at the screen shots below. I took them tonight at the same time in the same location. Now, let me clear your ignorance.

Google has navigation for walking, public transportation, cycling and cars. When you click on the mode of transportation, it gives you the fastest route using that mode and not the shortest route.

It's the one for cars the Uber uses and you're making noise that Uber employs thousands of engineers.

You are very vocal in speaking of things you know nothing about. You go further to insult people trying to dispel your ignorance.
Google is your friend:

https://eng.uber.com/engineering-an-efficient-route/

Furthermore, speaking of long routes, what unethical practices do you think people refer to when they talk about former Ubet CEO Travis Kalanik ?
People like you just tire me for this site.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by DisGuy: 11:53pm On Aug 11, 2017
majekdom2:

Save yourself the gamble next time book UberExec.or UberLux

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by DisGuy: 11:56pm On Aug 11, 2017
Richy4:
I just want to know...if uber is present in Nigeria, does that mean GPS is working everywhere in Nigeria...Or just only some states..

Uber is in Lagos and Abuja

Ps google streetview launched this month! covering about 80% lagos- "check it out
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by linearity: 12:00am On Aug 12, 2017
hedonistic:

Uber abi taxify mouthpiece, easy.

I've requested Uber in Lagos, few weeks ago, only for a Toyota Camry 'Tiny Light' to show up feeling cool. And I thought their benchmark was 2006 model cars upwards. Didn't have any problem with that because I only needed transportation at the time, but it was a let down, standards wise.

You can check the car/driver that arrived to pick you up against the car/driver the app told you will arrive.

Uber are very strict about the car/driver and do a regular digital checkup like forcing drivers to upload valid documents and taking their pictures, but since this is not done on a daily basis...a driver who had registered with Ubar with car A, can hop on car B and use it for work the next day..maybe because car A is no longer available or car A was actually temporary borrowed to pass the registration stuff.

The Uber App have many options for you to flag these types of things and that driver will be send packing.

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by bovo(m): 12:53am On Aug 12, 2017
So I couldn't help but notice your arguments and just wanted to chip this in to make aware the unsuspecting general public that patronize these Platforms (Uber/Taxify).
It would seem there is a way these drivers hijack the GPS/Navigation system of the Apps using a third party app (Lockito) hereby resulting to outrageous fare rates. Drivers that practice this dastardly act usually hide their phones from unsuspecting riders during the trip, so it's in your best interest to be observant of the app they run during trips........... My 2 cents.
PS: No ignorant driver should quote me please.

XKZ:

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Laredojohn(m): 1:14am On Aug 12, 2017
Hmm your points are not true of both...taxify I have used, I determine the route the drivers use, never pain for cancelled. Trip
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 12, 2017
justscorchone:
I haven't had any of the problems you guys are talking about oh and I use uber almost all the time,even with the cancellation thingy you can easily ask for a refund and state the issue and they won't deduct your money.plus uber is hella cheap most times i don't bother driving when I think of the traffic and fuel for my car.thank God for uber

Dont mind Nigerians. Even if they make uber free they will still complain!
Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by beyooooni1(m): 3:42am On Aug 12, 2017
XKZ:

The fact that Uber uses Google Maps for map data doesn't mean that Google is responsible for navigation. Uber does it's own routing.

bro, I followed your argument with the guy, and I did a simple google search.. I now seem to understand you better uber has its own navigation app, though they just developed it, the were formerly relieing on a third party app like google maps and the rest but what I think is, it hasnt been introduced to nigerian drivers yet cos the app is new (march 2017). it was obvious the other guy was just displaying his limited knowledge about the company.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Nobody: 3:48am On Aug 12, 2017
beyooooni1:

bro, I followed your argument with the guy, and I did a simple google search.. I now seem to understand you better uber has its own navigation app, though they just developed it, the were formerly relieing on a third party app like google maps and the rest but what I think is, it hasnt been introduced to nigerian drivers yet cos the app is new (march 2017). it was obvious the other guy was just displaying his limited knowledge about the company.

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by hedonistic: 5:13am On Aug 12, 2017
bovo:
So I couldn't help but notice your arguments and just wanted to chip this in to make aware the unsuspecting general public that patronize these Platforms (Uber/Taxify).
It would seem there is a way these drivers hijack the GPS/Navigation system of the Apps using a third party app (Lockito) hereby resulting to outrageous fare rates. Drivers that practice this dastardly act usually hide their phones from unsuspecting riders during the trip, so it's in your best interest to be observant of the app they run during trips........... My 2 cents.
PS: No ignorant driver should quote me please.

This is also very true. Thanks for exposing the name of the app these crooked drivers use. I've experienced this once, on my very first trip with Taxify. Imagine a trip from Yaba to Maryland, on a Sunday evening when traffic was super light, costing N4, 900+! And the estimate I saw before I requested the trip was between N750 and N1050. Of course I refused to pay the rubbish fee as I suspected foul play. Handed over N1k to the driver and then reported his ass to taxify. I was later told by taxify that the crook used an 'unauthorised phone' and has been penalised., and my backlog of fake debt cleared accordingly.

So now we all know the name of the app (and perhaps similar ones that work same way): Lockito. Uber and Taxify must do something about this ASAP.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians by Zedoo(m): 5:44am On Aug 12, 2017
Stay.. .. Normal cab drivers charge way more for drop pickups.. .That is all that matters period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wike Has Completed CFC Flyover Port Harcourt: Pictures / Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / Flight Resumption: Air Peace Flies All Its Aircrafts Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.