Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Lagos Subway Proposal - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Subway Proposal (5079 Views)

Proposal For A 20yrs Travel Band. / Delta State Development Masterplan (proposal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by agnesoseka: 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2007
Nice One@
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by iice(f): 6:19am On Feb 14, 2007
Well the LRT sounds cool and much more suited for Lag.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by ovadose(f): 8:13am On Feb 14, 2007
Naija doesnt need a new subway system, they need to fix the old railroad and roads. Crime will also be rampant underground
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by Tornadoz(m): 11:39am On Feb 14, 2007
Stop developing Lagos. Subway, underground, lightrail no-rail, non of these will help Lagos. Waste of money. Who is going to pay for this rail. I hope it's Lagosians, and not the Federal govt.
Its a failed city, unplanned, unorganised, in fact a giant slum, its not a city is giant gheto.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by Christino(m): 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2007
Tornadoz,

can lagos afford to pay for a subway project, it's obvious some investors are ready to make a huge loss. We all know touts and corrupt officials won't let it work.

I was born in lagos and the only thing that seems to work is MTN grin
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by Tornadoz(m): 9:11am On Feb 15, 2007
@ Christino. I lived in Lagos for a long time before traveling abroad, and it sickens me every time i go home to see the state that lagos has descended to. People driving on a one way street, the touts, the robbers etc makes Lagos one of the most dangerous city in the world. Its a shame that it has come to this. This is definitely not the Lagos of Jakande that i left years ago, its sad.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Feb 15, 2007
Every overcrowded city is like that. The solution is simple: move somewhere else or get used to it!
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by BlackMamba(m): 8:03pm On Feb 15, 2007
You wonder why we have non-functional basic amenities despite our petro-dollars? CORRUPTION. That's why. A lot of people simply do not understand or simply resigned their faith on corruption. We will never progress as a nation, if we don't find a way to reduce corruption to a manageable level. All talk of infrastructural development will remain a pipe dream or at best "white elephant projects".
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by sage(m): 1:58am On Feb 16, 2007
i hope the subway wont implode grin cheesy
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by LePhilippe(m): 9:43pm On Feb 16, 2007
Same here mate, same here!!!
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by LePhilippe(m): 9:02pm On Mar 04, 2007
The Chairman of the Lagos Megacity Development Authority (LMDA), Prof. Akin Mabogunje, has said that the metroline rail system proposed for Lagos by the regime of Alhaji Lateef Jakande, the first civilian governor in Lagos State would be revived and expanded by the body.
Addressing a stakeholders meeting on the megacity, Professor Mabogunje said that “in response to protests of foreign investors that the current state of security, sanitation and transportation, within the Lagos Megacity Region is a serious disincentive, President Olusegun Obasanjo, after exhaustive consultation with Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu, resolved to transform the Lagos megacity into a world-class city by 2015.”
The former university don appealed to stakeholders, made up of former leaders from Lagos State and four adjoining local governments in Ogun State – namely, Ado-Odo/Ota, Ifo, Obafemi Owode and Sagamu, that the support of the people was paramount in achieving the objectives of the LMDA.
The Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu I, the chief convener of the meeting pledged the cooperation of the people of the state, adding, “Those who want to turn Lagos to a city of filth should turn a new leaf since no offender would be spared in the effort to give the Lagos megacity a new lease of life.”
The Oba, however, urged the technocrats behind the LMDA to ensure that they tapped into the abundant talent and resources among Lagosians, rather than relying on outsiders in executing the laudable programmes.
Alhaji Jakande, in his contribution, pleaded with Oba Akiolu to make the gathering a regular affair so as to put the issue of developing Lagos continuously on the front burner.
He pleaded with the Federal Government to accord Lagos a special status and special funding and that the next leader should not abandon the MDA to Lagos alone.
Chief Folarin Coker in his own remark, pleaded with the brains behind the LMDA to make the issue of redeveloping markets a priority. He also called for a full involvement of indigenes in all the stages of the project to redevelop Lagos, adding “You cannot shave somebody’s head behind him.”
The Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr. Bolaji Abosede, who represented the Governor on the occasion had earlier, assured the gathering that the state government had commenced the implementation of its share of the Megacity Development Region with the introduction of the Bus Rapid Transportation (Lagbus), on-going Lekki-Epe Expressway expansion, Lekki Free Trade Zone, Central Business District revitalization and slum upgrading.
The first governor of the state, General Mobolaji Johnson (rtd.) stressed the need for continuity, which he claimed had been the bane of laudable programmes in the past, adding “if successive administrations had been building on achievements of their predecessors, Lagos will not be in its very poor situation.”
Dignitaries who also graced the occasion included, Alhaji Femi Okunnu, Alhaji H. A. Fasinro, Chief Molade Okoya Thomas, the Obas of Ikorodu and Badagry as well as chieftains of industry like, Chief Bode Emmanuel and Chief Hamzat Adebowale.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by dblock(m): 8:57am On Mar 05, 2007
Great News, lagos is going far concerning Transport. RRT is superb cheesy
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by LePhilippe(m): 7:22pm On Mar 06, 2007
Just about LRT was has happened lately??
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by akara(m): 5:55pm On Apr 30, 2007
Another scheme to chooooooooop money. With no light, drainage and security how do we manage a subway system in a county that cannot dispose off its wastes properly. Let us think with our heads first o.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by ABCDEFGHIJ(m): 5:59pm On Apr 30, 2007
what is the big deal about a subway in Lagos? some people are just too sick in their thinking. If Ghana announces a subway for Accra, Ghanians will be happy and beleive in it - but announce anything like that in Nigeria - then busy bodies and never do wells will condemn it and say it is not workable.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by akara(m): 6:11pm On Apr 30, 2007
@ABCDEFGHIJ

I love Nigeria, how many schemes have worked out in the past. We have to develop the basic infastructures before we jump into the grander schemes. I have not been to Ghana, but my friends who have been there tells me it s a much cleaner place than Nigeria and celebrated years of interrupted power supply.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by ABCDEFGHIJ(m): 7:50pm On Apr 30, 2007
akara:

@ABCDEFGHIJ

I love Nigeria, how many schemes have worked out in the past. We have to develop the basic infastructures before we jump into the grander schemes. I have not been to Ghana, but my friends who have been there tells me it s a much cleaner place than Nigeria and celebrated years of interrupted power supply.

And how come Ghana is coming to Nigeria for electricity? http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=118129

How come Abuja is building a light railway system? How come something like a subway wont work in Nigeria? How come?
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by akara(m): 8:20pm On Apr 30, 2007
Also read this link

http://ghanaconscious.ghanathink.org/node/386

My wife just came back from Nigeria for a 3weeks breaks and had to rely on generator power.

and I dont think Abuja is quite the same as Lagos in terms of planning. All I am saying is that we need to fix. In my primary school years an overhead rail system was proposed and actually started by the Jakande government, nothing came of that,

We can build one but ,
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by ABCDEFGHIJ(m): 8:49pm On Apr 30, 2007
akara:

Also read this link

http://ghanaconscious.ghanathink.org/node/386

My wife just came back from Nigeria for a 3weeks breaks and had to rely on generator power.

and I don't think Abuja is quite the same as Lagos in terms of planning. All I am saying is that we need to fix. In my primary school years an overhead rail system was proposed and actually started by the Jakande government, nothing came of that,

We can build one but ,

Your point?
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by akara(m): 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2007
We can build an underground mass transit system in Lagos, but the state and the nation as a whole has to get its power supply in place. Imagine getting stuck as a result of power failure in a dark tunnel in Lagos. The last time I drove along the IBB bridge, it had more pot holes than the roads in my village. Lets fix the roads and we might find the mass transit system is not even an option.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by ABCDEFGHIJ(m): 8:59pm On Apr 30, 2007
FYI - A modern railway system is being built from Abeokuta to Kano, another one from PH to Maiduguri - bet u wont want to beleive it? When did u ride on the IBB bridge? 5 years or more ago? Go home and see instead of sitting in one corner of the world and thinking how retrogressive Nigerians want Nigeria to be.

http://www.energyinafrica.net/brief/oil_gas/521216.htm

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/06/business/korecon.php
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by akara(m): 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2007
I actually drove on that brige last year!
grin
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by kulani2: 3:35am On May 03, 2007
Guys, a subway for Lagos would be one of the best things to happen to Lagos. I have not been there, but the
most horrible story i heard was that you can literally get stuck in traffic for 3/4 hours to get to the airport. I have
been to Ghana, Accra and the city planning leaves a lot to be desired while the roads makes it even more difficult
to move from A to B. So a subway would be a unique opportunity to design something new without having to
upset the already built environment of the city. In Johannesburg, the government is already building a subway
called the Gautrain to be completed in 2009/2010 in a $4 billion project.

In order for Lagos to become world class, strong leadership is needed to fix problems and take bold steps. The
power problems can not stop Lagos from fixing its transport infrastructure while working on a lasting solution for
electricity. The two are not mutually exclusive and can be done together.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by GNature(m): 5:05am On May 03, 2007
kulani2:

In order for Lagos to become world class, strong leadership is needed to fix problems and take bold steps. The
power problems can not stop Lagos from fixing its transport infrastructure while working on a lasting solution for
electricity. The two are not mutually exclusive and can be done together.

I disagree, in order to have a well functioning mass transit system in Lagos (subway or light rail), we have to address our power
problem first. While I commend Governor Tinubu's rapid bus initiative, it still falls short of adequately addressing the problem. Infact,
one can argue that it'll make the problem worse because of the dedicated lanes (for the buses) carved out of an already congested road system.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by dblock(m): 8:55am On May 03, 2007
A Subway Project could be managed by a designated comapny that would employ Tarined Nigerians. The Ibnfrastructure would be put in place and more employment opportunities would be made available. The Subway could be constructed under a BOT agreement and the Trains could be powered by IPPs(Fueled by Coal)

The Project would address major Transporation issues, Create Jobs and attract more investors and raise the overall standard of living of Lagosians. Under these circumstances, such a development would be feasible.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by candylips(m): 10:28pm On May 03, 2007
What has happened to our waterways. about 30 % of Lagos is Water. Surely an effective Ferry Network across lagos will be a more practical venture
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by fromuk(m): 7:41pm On May 13, 2007
u wan die inside water no be me and you abeg. More molue, okada and keke maruwa abeg.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by LePhilippe(m): 10:44pm On May 13, 2007
@fromuk,
Abeg mumu shut up you mout!!
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by fromuk(m): 8:19pm On May 15, 2007
lephillipe

thx but we gonna confirm who be mumu btw 2 of us in the next ten yrs, if underground train is oprating then i be mumu but if na molue d oprate your mumu na x2 raise to power 2. u never see electricity na subway you wan first see. go europe c how subway b, u think say na wetin u go wake up one morning 4 nigeria with dis our govt. u try. our govt na govt of molua, okata and keke maruwa accept it or leave but you enter one before tomoorow
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by closetpervert(m): 8:23pm On May 15, 2007
big deal about subway - because u travel to America/Europe u now think big and assume that what you see in America/Europe can not happen in Nigeria - who give monkey cloth to wear?
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by fromuk(m): 10:25pm On May 15, 2007
closetpervert

am not saying it won't work in nigeria, we cannot maintain our road both tarred and untarred but we can biuld and maintain subway, we are just pursueing shadow if think of such in this present day nigeria. Have u ever seen the current rail line that runs from agage throu ikeja to iddo, when next u travel home just go and take a look then you will realise who is saying what.
Re: Lagos Subway Proposal by closetpervert(m): 10:28pm On May 15, 2007
when next I trevel home - hmmm - this is d mistake folks back home make - they think because u live abroad, then u don't know anything going on at home,. The government is building that same railroad again - Abeokuta to Kano and PH -to Maiduguri, I bet u are on one the people who will say it will fail because we can't maintain it? Abi?

Because it failed in the past does not mean it will fail forever, so where is development then? I beg if all these things suceed, I beg swear that you will never use them o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Live In America, But I'm Not Aje-Butter / Kano Boat Mishap Death Toll Rises To 29 / Any Nigerians In Montreal, Qc?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.