Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,026 members, 7,814,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

How To Be An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Be An Atheist (3223 Views)

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 10:43am On Aug 14, 2017
Atheism, in its broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of gods. This definition includes both those who assert that there are no gods, and those who make no claim about whether gods exist or not. Simply stated, anyone who does not say "I believe (a) god/gods exist," is, by definition, an atheist. Narrower and more common definitions, however, often only qualify those who assert there are no gods as atheists, labeling the others as agnostics or simply non-theists.

There is no single ideology that all atheists share, nor are there any institutionalized rituals or behaviors. There are certain individuals whose religious or spiritual beliefs some might describe as atheistic, though those holding such beliefs do not normally describe themselves as atheists.

Due to some contrary belief, primarily in heavily religious countries, being an atheist does not imply deliberately "disobeying God". Atheism is not a belief, but is only the absence thereof. Atheists are also sometimes accused of "hating God", which is impossible, since you can not hate something you do not believe exists. Atheism is not directly linked to evolution, nor the big bang theory. However, many atheists, primarily those who wish to study atheism and religion further, turn to science, hence gaining an interest in such theories.

4 Likes

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 10:49am On Aug 14, 2017
So here one can simply ascertain that OTEMATUM is not an atheist he is just a confused fellow that create his own god in his delusional world and and use his imagination to write longest and meaningless epistle about the universe.
Re: How To Be An Atheist by OtemAtum: 10:52am On Aug 14, 2017
purem:
So here one can simply ascertain that OTEMATUM is not an atheist he is just a confused fellow that create his own god in his delusional world and and use his imagination to write longest and meaningless epistle about the universe.

What's dis one saying? How is it very difficult for you to know and acknowledge that your god and all other gods are created by God Almighty, the SUMMATION OF ALL ENERGIES, THE GREATEST CONSCIOUSNESS? undecided
Re: How To Be An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 10:53am On Aug 14, 2017
Someone who hates "god" is a misotheist, a misotheist is a theist

"Disobeying God" is one of the most stupid words ever cuz there's no proof the "god" an atheist is being accused of disobeying exists, by this logic Christians "disobey god" when they eat cow meat because the Hindu god is against it

7 Likes

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 10:54am On Aug 14, 2017
I would be sharing eleven ways to become an atheist incase you have some doubt about the religion you are currently in like I myself.
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 10:57am On Aug 14, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Someone who hates "god" is a misotheist, a misotheist is a theist

"Disobeying God" is one of the most stupid words ever cuz there's no proof the "god" an atheist is being accused of disobeying exists, by this logic Christians "disobey god" when they eat cow meat because the Hindu god is against it

Bro just chill and follow the thread you would soon know that u'r not an atheist.
Re: How To Be An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:00am On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

Bro just chill and follow the thread you would soon know that u'r not an atheist.

it depends on what you define an atheist as cuz there's a wide definition of it
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 11:00am On Aug 14, 2017
(1) EXAMINE YOUR CURRENT BELIEFS

No matter what you previously believed, if now deep down you find no belief in god, your transformation is already complete. There is no process or initiation for becoming an atheist (except possibly a "coming out" to others). If you can honestly think, "I don't believe there is a god/gods," you are already an atheist.

1 Like

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 11:09am On Aug 14, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

it depends on what you define an atheist as cuz there's a wide definition of it

Because you are too desperate I will just jump to number 10

(10) RESPECT THE BELIEVES OF OTHERS

Let your rationality guide you, but do not let it lead you astray. Following a religion does not make anyone superior, nor does your atheism make you superior to anyone. Atheism has no dogma. Don't be fanatical when discussing your beliefs with others, and try not to be pretentious. It's fine to be passionate about your beliefs, but there is no need to dismiss people for their methods of creating meaning.
An atheist respecting the beliefs of religious people is no different than a Jewish person respecting a Catholic's views. Remember that their views cannot be proved or disproved.
If someone attacks with their opinions, you have every right to defend your decision. Consider, however, whether it will help either of you to argue about your difference in belief. Consider whether either of you is actually going to change his or her stance on the subject
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 11:15am On Aug 14, 2017
So hopefullandlord your arrogance to religion has make you a pagan not an atheist
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 11:21am On Aug 14, 2017
(2) UNDERSTAND THE DEFERENCE BETWEEN BELIEVE AND THRUT.

Consider the following examples:
A stranger comes to your door and tells you that your child has been killed in a car accident outside their school.
You would feel a pang of emotion, but this is a stranger. Do you believe them? Do they know who your child is? Is this some sort of cruel joke? Do you really believe that your child has been killed? You will be inclined to harbor some strong doubts.
Two police officers come to your door, squad car in the driveway. They tell you your child has been killed. They need you to come with them to identify the body.
You will in all likelihood believe them, they are police officers. You will feel the emotion as though you know for a fact that your child is dead. It will be real to you.
You should notice that the difference between these two examples is the authority of the messenger, not the message itself. These examples are also chosen for their emotional content, because the emotional content is a large part of what makes a situation real to us.
The point is, whether we believe something based on authority, or emotion, or both, we cannot know it is true until we see with our own eyes. The highest authority you can imagine could tell you the simplest thing, and you may believe them, and they may believe themselves, but that does not in any way make it true.

1 Like

Re: How To Be An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:25am On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

Let your rationality guide you, but do not let it lead you astray. Following a religion does not make anyone superior, nor does your atheism make you superior to anyone. Atheism has no dogma. Don't be fanatical when discussing your beliefs with others, and try not to be pretentious. It's fine to be passionate about your beliefs, but there is no need to dismiss people for their methods of creating meaning.
An atheist respecting the beliefs of religious people is no different than a Jewish person respecting a Catholic's views. Remember that their views cannot be proved or disproved.
If someone attacks with their opinions, you have every right to defend your decision. Consider, however, whether it will help either of you to argue about your difference in belief. Consider whether either of you is actually going to change his or her stance on the subject

there are some misconceptions here

1. I have never implied I was "better" "smarter" "more intelligent" than anyone just because I don't believe in the existence of any god

2. atheism has no rule that says "you must respect the belief of others"

3. No belief that's brought into public sphere should be respected by default, every belief whose adherents think they need everyone to be an adherent of, who think its their right to pull autocracy (not just autocracy but their OWN version of autocracy) has given up it's right to be respected, such a belief has exposed itself to potential ridicule

A person’s right to swing his fist ends at the next guy’s nose. A person’s religious freedom ends when they try to practice it on other people.
If religions minded their own business and didn’t try to impose itself on society, there would be no problem. But we live in a democracy where people vote according to their irrational beliefs because they are afraid of what will happen to them when they are dead. They can’t vote unless it is for who an imaginary god approves of. They care about other people’s sex because their god might get mad. They attack people with different faiths.

eg
if I start believing the moon is made of green cheese and I keep it to myself, nobody would ridicule it but if I start telling everyone who cares to listen that what I believe about the Moon is true and want everyone to join me in believing that too, I have exposed that belief of mine to questions, potential ridicule and I have no right to complain if its ridiculed, all I need to do is prove to those questioning it that I'm right by proving the moon is made of green cheese but if all I can fall back on after being questioned on what I believe about the moon is something as meaningless as "Faith", then those who asked the question have the right to ridicule it cuz anything and everything can be accepted based on faith

4. I'm not here to make people join my atheism, I have a target audience, I target more of the readers that are having doubts about their god/religion, i also target believers that are 100% sure their religion/god is true and others is false by exposing them to how adherents of those "false religion/gods/sects" are just as sure as theirs as he does his own, I like leaving my opponents and readers thinking and more unsure about what they believed they were very sure of and I "like" losing arguments

9 Likes

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 11:40am On Aug 14, 2017
OtemAtum:

What's dis one saying? How is it very difficult for you to know and acknowledge that your god and all other gods are created by God Almighty, the SUMMATION OF ALL ENERGIES, THE GREATEST CONSCIOUSNESS? undecided

You mean reverald has God almighty according to ur false doctofus?

U shud be asking ursef wht ur saying coz dat ur god only exist in ur imagination
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 11:57am On Aug 14, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

there are some misconceptions here

1. I have never implied I was "better" "smarter" "more intelligent" than anyone just because I don't believe in the existence of any god

2. atheism has no rule that says "you must respect the belief of others"

3. No belief that's brought into public sphere should be respected by default, every belief whose adherents think they need everyone to be an adherent of, who think its their right to pull autocracy (not just autocracy but their OWN version of autocracy) has given up it's right to be respected, such a belief has exposed itself to potential ridicule

A person’s right to swing his fist ends at the next guy’s nose. A person’s religious freedom ends when they try to practice it on other people.
If religions minded their own business and didn’t try to impose itself on society, there would be no problem. But we live in a democracy where people vote according to their irrational beliefs because they are afraid of what will happen to them when they are dead. They can’t vote unless it is for who an imaginary god approves of. They care about other people’s sex because their god might get mad. They attack people with different faiths.

eg
if I start believing the moon is made of green cheese and I keep it to myself, nobody would ridicule it but if I start telling everyone who cares to listen that what I believe about the Moon is true and want everyone to join me in believing that too, I have exposed that belief of mine to potential ridicule and I have no right to complain if its ridiculed, all I need to do is prove to those questioning it that I'm right by proving the moon is made of green cheese buy if all I can fall back on after being questioned on what I believe about the moon is something as meaningless as "Faith", then those who asked the question have the right to ridicule it

I'm not here to make people join my atheism, I have a target audience, I target more of the readers that are having doubts about their god/religion, i also target believers that are 100% sure their religion/god is true and others is false by exposing them to how adherents of those "false religion/gods/sects" are just as sure as theirs as he does his own, I like leaving my opponents and readers thinking and I "like losing arguments"

Bro lemme ask you a simple question "can your arrogance and rudeness change the minds of religion?"

The religion world is too wide for an atheist to divert

There is alot of atheist even before u were born, some keep it to themselves alone
There is what we call disagree to agree so when you know the truth there is no point in arguing with people u know u can't change there minds

LEARN TO BE HUMANE
Re: How To Be An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 12:05pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

Bro lemme ask you a simple question "can your arrogance and rudeness change the minds of religion?"

this is a loaded question, I'm NOT arrogant and I'm not rude

The religion world is too wide for an atheist to divert
There is alot of atheist even before u were born, some keep it to themselves alone
There is what we call disagree to agree so when you know the truth there is no point in arguing with people u know u can't change there minds

LEARN TO BE HUMANE

I'm Humane

you seem to be projecting too many things

1 Like

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
(3) UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCIENCE BELIEF AND RELIGIOUS BELIEF.

The difference between belief in a scientific theory as opposed to belief in a religious dogma, boils down to the difference between the institution of science and the institutions of various religions. The underlying concept in religious institutions is that the nature of reality is known. The nature of reality is written in a book or scroll. This writing was originally done, or dictated, or inspired, by a god. Religious institutions are primarily concerned with spreading information about the "known" nature of reality, because in their understanding of reality, that is what they are required to do. Religious "facts" are not subject to testing, and in most cases cannot be tested. Religious "facts" are supported by evidence that is open to interpretation, or no evidence at all. Religious "facts" are not reviewed by all religions to reach a consensus. The underlying concept in the institution of science is that the nature of reality is unknown. The institution of science is primarily concerned with discovering the nature of reality without making assumptions. Scientific theories must, by definition, be testable (falsifiable). Theories must be published for review by other scientists with the intention of reaching a consensus. Accepted theories are supported by evidence that is not open to interpretation, or is consistently interpreted by qualified scientists. If evidence is found that contradicts a theory, the theory will be abandoned. One believes in a scientific authority, because they derive their authority from the review process, and because they have an interest in discovering truth. One believes in a religious authority, because they have been given authority by their superiors, who in turn get their authority from their subordinates. Religion has no interest in discovering truth because the "facts" are already known.

1 Like

Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem, it is evident you are here for attack.
Why the assumption that hopefullandlord is arrogant? Can you point out any display of his arrogance on nairaland?

1 Like

Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 12:13pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

If you take your own advise, you won't be bashing otematum. Bros align!

4 Likes

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:15pm On Aug 14, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

this is a loaded question, I'm NOT arrogant and I'm not rude

I'm Humane

you seem to be projecting too many things

Bro u'r one the celeb on NL so have been reading ur comments and posts, u'r arrogant and rude to the religious ones so that doesn't make u HUMANE
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2017
chemystery:

If you take your own advise, you won't be bashing otematum. Bros align!

U shud understand what I wrote am not bashing him
Am just letting him know he's not an atheist
Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
In my opinion, superstitious believes are not to be respected in anyway. Especially the harmful ones. Such as those making people believe sacrifice of human parts can bring wealth (also known as ritual killing), those involving fraud and extortion (tithing and offerings), those involving believe that prayer will give you job and make you pass exams against hardworking, that a car can travel for miles with an empty petrol tank, etc.

If not accepting any of these is arrogance. Then I'm glad being arrogant

3 Likes

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
[quote author=chemystery post=59462710]purem, it is evident you are here for attack.
Why the assumption that hopefullandlord is arrogant? Can you point out any display of his arrogance on nairaland?

U shud check his comments and posts to see more
Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 12:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

U shud understand what I wrote am not bashing him
Am just letting him know he's not an atheist
I have never seen otem mentioned anywhere that he is an atheist. And why are you so concerned if I should ask? As if there is a fixed cash being shared amongst atheist, hence excluding otem will mean greater share.

3 Likes

Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 12:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

U shud check his comments and posts to see more
I have not seen any so show me one
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
(4) REMEMBER THAT YOU AREN'T THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS FOUND FAULT WITH THEIR RELIGION.

People throughout history have looked critically at their religious beliefs and found fault. If you have issues and problems, then look at them honestly, with the notion that you will not be punished for trying to find what you truly believe. If your beliefs are valid, then they will stand up to scrutiny. Most of the religions that have ever been, have gone extinct. You would be hard pressed to find people worshiping Thor or Quetzalcoatl. Take a hard look at why you don't believe in Thor, or Rah, or Zeus. Would you be Islamic, Christian, or Jewish if you where raised in Iran, Mississippi, or Israel?

1 Like

Re: How To Be An Atheist by edicied: 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

Hahn pls where is that your Trash truck grin
#modified - I don see better one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:35pm On Aug 14, 2017
chemystery:

Am trying to, just go and read his first comment up there and undastnd it
Re: How To Be An Atheist by purem(m): 12:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
chemystery:

Be sincere

Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 12:46pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

Be sincere
what is arrogant in saying the truth and unapologetic about it?
Re: How To Be An Atheist by butterflylion: 12:53pm On Aug 14, 2017
chemystery:
what is arrogant in saying the truth and unapologetic about it?

Can you prove to me that what you are saying is the truth? Can you prove to me that your atheistic comments against religion or theism is the truth?
Re: How To Be An Atheist by butterflylion: 12:58pm On Aug 14, 2017
purem:

Am trying to, just go and read his first comment up there and undastnd it

The atheists have a team and the team always appear when one of theirs is being shown for who he really is. The dude is rude and he knows it. On another thread of mine I painstakenly showed him several posts of his that show he is clearly rude and a mocker. This is the thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/3970778/irreligious-people-need-stop-sh
Re: How To Be An Atheist by chemystery: 1:02pm On Aug 14, 2017
butterflylion:

Can you prove to me that what you are saying is the truth? Can you prove to me that your atheistic comments against religion or theism is the truth?
yes I can only if you do my practical assignment on the other thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Picture Speaks Louder Than Words / How Does An Atheist Repent? / The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.