Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,480 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( (1734 Views)

My Past Memories Is Making Me Hate Her And I Want To End It Now / Should I Stay Or Leave?- Recognising Red Flags In Relationships / If Your Relationship Has Not Reached This Level End It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by JavierEze: 1:14pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hello guys,

Very quick one. So this might sound complicated butI need your advise still. So here it goes.

Okay so I'm an igbo girl living in the UK...about a year ago, I started dating this guy who is a year younger than I am and also happens to be Yoruba. I love him very very much and don't want to lose him but here is the dilemma.

Firstly My parents don't want a Yoruba man at allll...
Secondly, he's 26 and I'm 27...For a guy that is really young to start discussing marriage. ..but for a girl everyone knows I'm already an old woman lol!

Ofcourse he might not be very ready to get married for at least another two years...which *sigh...doesn't just sit well with me. I feel we'd make a wonderful couple though and i genuinely want to be with him forever but with these many 'enemies' it has crossed any mind to end it before the battle begins .

I just need to hear other opinions or thoughts around this. Should I stay and fightor should I run. Cheers. Chi. sad

Edited: so a lot of people are asking where I got the marriage talk from... yes we have had the discussion and he has stated that he wants us to get hitched but not just yet so I dunno if its something I can't wait for.
Also, I didn't say his parents have issues with another tribe, it's my parents who have issues with the Yoruba clan
Finally yes he is willing to fight too when the time comes, I'm just thinking what if it doesn't work out and we end up splitting and I'm left alone and old ...so many fears really... don't blame me abeg cry
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 15, 2017
Leave that relationship and move on fast please don't ask me why. Hint ; I have seen a lot like it in another western country 70% ends in tears for the lady.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by yomi007k(m): 1:19pm On Aug 15, 2017
My exs relatives didnt like me because she was 1 year ahead of me in school and so the felt I wouldnt be prepared for marriage as dt was her next plan as far back as 2013.

I broke the relationship and I asked her this year why she isnt married, still no reason....lol.
Well I moved on perfectly and found an angel.

Pls break up with the guy, im sure u guys will be better apart.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
Leave that relationship and move on fast please don't ask me why. Hint ; I have seen a lot like it in another country western country 70% ends in tears for the lady.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2017
grin

Well, i dunno about tribes but LOVE CONQUERS EVERYTHING...if he is worth to fight for and he'll do the same, then why not?

But if he cant fight for u, then u better let it go and find someone that value u and ready to settle down.. grin

Ooh maybe ur parents wants u to marry a foreigner ...Not bad idea..Mixed race is beautiful wink

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Jaqenhghar: 1:22pm On Aug 15, 2017
JavierEze:
Hello guys,

Very quick one. So this might sound complicated butI need your advise still. So here it goes.

Okay so I'm an igbo girl living in the UK...about a year ago, I started dating this guy who is a year younger than I am and also happens to be Yoruba. I love him very very much and don't want to lose him but here is the dilemma.

Secondly, he's 26 and I'm 27...For a guy that is really young to start discussing marriage. ..but for a girl everyone knows I'm already an old woman lol!

Ofcourse he might not be very ready to get married for at least another two years...which *sigh...doesn't just sit well with me. I feel we'd make a wonderful couple though and i genuinely want to be with him forever but with these many 'enemies' it has crossed any mind to end it before the battle begins .

I just need to hear other opinions or thoughts around this. Should I stay and fightor should I run. Cheers. Chi. sad
You are not that old nah.
How long have U beem dating BTW?
and how has the relationship been going on?
those are some of the things that should influence your next steps
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Draei: 1:24pm On Aug 15, 2017
with your write up, you ain't sure if he is ready
for marriage or not. Get that from him 1st.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by otabuko(m): 1:28pm On Aug 15, 2017
It's your call.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by omega25red(m): 1:30pm On Aug 15, 2017
JavierEze:
Hello guys,

The issue here is your parents having closed minds. they are stuck in the past and need to be brought out of the hatred (maybe) and prejudice they have. marriage is not about marrying the man from your village it, is actually about marrying someone who loves you who will lift you up who will work hard and make money to take care of himself and his family. marriage is about fighting among each other and knowing when to call a truce. marriage is not involving family and friends in your personal issues. marriage is good times and bad times. marriage is losing interest sometimes but finding ways to reconnect. it goes on and on and on.

you said you love him but it also seems like if you weren't your age you would gladly take your parents advice and leave him. if that is the case you probably should end it and start over getting to meeting and know someone else who your parents would accept or you can look at the experiences you have shared with the man and see the potential he has and plan accordingly and enjoy your future together if thats where his mind is. Honestly i think your parents would cave if you went to them and say he is who you will marry (assuming he has declared and is ready to meet your people)

I wonder how they will feel if you brought home a white brit?
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by madone: 1:32pm On Aug 15, 2017
yomi007k:
My exs relatives didnt like me because she was 1 year ahead of me in school and so the felt I wouldnt be prepared for marriage as dt was her next plan as far back as 2013.

I broke the relationship and I asked her this year why she isnt married, still no reason....lol.
Well I moved on perfectly and found an angel.

Pls break up with the guy, im sure u guys will be better apart.
soo ur ex is not married now even after 3years.re u married
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by yomi007k(m): 1:34pm On Aug 15, 2017
madone:
soo ur ex is not married now even after 3years.re u married
Yes
I am married to my hustle.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by SirMichael1: 1:40pm On Aug 15, 2017
Kondomatic has an answer to this.

And BTW, it depends on whether the guy likes you enough to fight his relatives for you. You obviously don't have a problem with your family except with his.

Moreover, you fighting alone even after marriage will only make you tired, frustrated and pissed with your guy and his family. If the both of you agree to fight for your relationship, you must also obverse the willingness of your guy and how far he would fight into marriage. You don't want someone who would get swayed by his relative and also take sides with them after you both are married, trust me, its gonna feel like you shoulder the world on your head.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:50pm On Aug 15, 2017
JavierEze:

so either drop that man or drop your narrow minded parents.

just because you COMMUNICATE about marriage does not mean you guys are gonna get hitched... but its good for both you guys to know where you are heading, so tell him how you feel.

Ofcourse he might not be very ready to get married for at least another two years...which *sigh...doesn't just sit well with me.

i smell desperation in the air.... if you definitely believe that 2 yrs is TOO long, then yes, desperate you are.

I feel we'd make a wonderful couple though and i genuinely want to be with him forever but with these many 'enemies' it has crossed any mind to end it before the battle begins .

you hope to find a husband and have a marriage without issue (aka enemies)? stop dreaming as it comes with the territory, and if you cant handle such issues then you have no business getting married... (unless you marry some unattractive unwanted man).

I just need to hear other opinions or thoughts around this. Should I stay and fight or should I run. Cheers. Chi. sad

if you start running, then be ready to ALWAYS run in your life. nothing comes easy in LIFE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 15, 2017
yomi007k:

Yes
I am married to my hustle.

Lol
Can u imagine?

You can mock your ex, shes not married till now, while you yourself u are still single hustling. U never even arrive yet, how much settle down.
What if shes now engaged to be married but refuse to tell u, so that her wedding plans wil move smoothly.

What will u then say?

I just bow for your mentality.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by dhantey324(m): 1:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
Firstly, at 26, it's a choice if you are still single (there's no age cast in stone for an adult male to get married). You might want to have d discussion with him if u intend settling down with him.

As for the tribal issue, this is 2017! Break d boundary. When your folks see how serious you are, they will cave in.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by yomi007k(m): 2:05pm On Aug 15, 2017
alexialin:

Lol
Can u imagine?

You can mock your ex, shes not married till now, while you yourself u are still single hustling. U never even arrive yet, how much settle down.
What if shes now engaged to be married but refuse to tell u, so that her wedding plans wil move smoothly.

What will u then say?

I just bow for your mentality.

Success means different things to different people.

I dont compare myself wt people.

Wat everyone thinks or does is for them n not me.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2017
yomi007k:

Success means different things to different people.

I dont compare myself wt people.

Wat everyone thinks or does is for them n not me.

Then why laugh when she said she is not yet married.?

U could have easily said ok.

And she could think the same u are saying nw.

Success means different things for different people.

Shikena.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by yomi007k(m): 2:14pm On Aug 15, 2017
alexialin:

Then why laugh when she said she is not yet married.?

U could have easily said ok.

And she could think the same u are saying nw.

Success means different things for different people.

Shikena.

Why I laughed is cos back den it seemed like I was the unserious one...d guy wtout a future ambition.
If I was still dating her since den, her family cud say dt im d one preventing her from getting married.

But now she has seen dt life isnt a bed of roses.

Im not mocking her, im just happy wt my choices.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2017
yomi007k:

Why I laughed is cos back den it seemed like I was the unserious one...d guy wtout a future ambition.
If I was still dating her since den, her family cud say dt im d one preventing her from getting married.

But now she has seen dt life isnt a bed of roses.

Im not mocking her, im just happy wt my choices.

Ok

And do u know, it could be? Both of you are not destined to marry each other.

Just saying
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Ifedith(m): 2:44pm On Aug 15, 2017
alexialin:

Ok

Just saying
Guy rest! You no dey get the guy narrative? He left the girl 4 yrs ago because bcus marriage issues, yet the girl never still get that same marriage wey make dem break up. So in essence, the girl relatives dey think say na d guy dey block the girl shine as far back 2013,surprisingly the girl is still not married.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
Ifedith:

Guy rest! You no dey get the guy narrative? He left the girl 4 yrs ago because bcus marriage issues, yet the girl never still get that same marriage wey make dem break up. So in essence, the girl relatives dey think say na d guy dey block the girl shine as far back 2013,surprisingly the girl is still not married.

I rest na! grin

You sef.

And thats life sometimes. We win some, we loose some. Life goes on.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by yomi007k(m): 2:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
alexialin:

Ok

Just saying

Yes I quite agree...no regrets bro. None.

And this cud be a similar case up there.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Kondomatic(m): 2:55pm On Aug 15, 2017
SirMichael1:
Kondomatic has an answer to this.

And BTW, it depends on whether the guy likes you enough to fight his relatives for you. You obviously don't have a problem with your family except with his.

Moreover, you fighting alone even after marriage will only make you tired, frustrated and pissed with your guy and his family. If the both of you agree to fight for your relationship, you must also obverse the willingness of your guy and how far he would fight into marriage. You don't want someone who would get swayed by his relative and also take sides with them after you both are married, trust me, its gonna feel like you shoulder the world on your head.
My brother, a lot of things are unclear in her story.

I mean there is no little hint that the guy is thinking the same way as she is. It appears she's the only one making marriage plans and all. Love is a beautiful thing that is worth fighting for but it is horrible when you're fighting alone.

How committed is the guy in the relationship? We need to know that.
Why is she talking about marriage, did he propose??
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by SirMichael1: 3:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
Kondomatic:

I mean there is no little hint that the guy is thinking the same way as she is. It appears she's the only one making marriage plans and all. Love is a beautiful thing that is worth fighting for but it is horrible when you're fighting alone.

I knew you'd have an answer.

Lmao at the emboldened

Anyways, from what she wrote about the guy's family not desiring for their son an Igbo lady shows that the guy has probably spoken to his parent about her or his parent have seen a commitment that might instigate marriage.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by JavierEze: 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

so either drop that man or drop your narrow minded parents.

just because you COMMUNICATE about marriage does not mean you guys are gonna get hitched... but its good for both you guys to know where you are heading, so tell him how you feel.

I really like your answer, truth be told we know where we're going and we're making plans toward it...i know its bot set in stone that we end up together o but every action we're taking now is toward our future together

i smell desperation in the air.... if you definitely believe that 2 yrs is TOO long, then yes, desperate you are.

I'm not desperate I tbh, I'm just worried fort future id you understand what I mean, like what will happen if after waiting and fighting my parents don't budge or we split for some reason.

you hope to find a husband and have a marriage without issue (aka enemies)? stop dreaming as it comes with the territory, and if you cant handle such issues then you have no business getting married... (unless you marry some unattractive unwanted man).

if you start running, then be ready to ALWAYS run in your life. nothing comes easy in LIFE.

This makes sense sha

Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2017
JavierEze:
I'm not desperate I tbh, I'm just worried fort future id you understand what I mean, like what will happen if after waiting and fighting my parents don't budge or we split for some reason.

then you would have had a FANTASTIC experience with a great person; you would have spent time to DISCOVER who your future partner truly is; figure out what they like/dislike; gotten to know them deeply; created an unbreakable bond that your parents CANT undo etc. these are the things that only "time" can show you.

i have to question your supposed "love" for this man, if you'd rather break up with him than spend 2 WONDERFUL years by that person's side. its like you are saying:" i love you, but i'd rather focus on another person than spend 2 yrs with you, and possibly breaking up"... it makes NO DAMN SENSE (if you truly loved that person)!
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by pocohantas(f): 4:05pm On Aug 15, 2017
It's not wrong for you to desire marriage at your age, we all have our life plan. I fault you for dating a 25yrs old guy when you know you want a relationship that will lead to marriage in few years time. The young man also has his own plans, just as you have yours.

Maybe you've been out of Nigeria for long, that's why you don't know that the average Nigerian guy isn't ready for marriage, financially, emotionally and mentally... at 26. The country is hard.

It's good that you guys have discussed the future, but nothing is sure for you both as it is now.

...Please, don't marry against your parent's wish. I would never do that, definitely not in Nigeria where women bear the brunt of marital failure. Try to talk your parents into liking him, they'll come around...
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by JavierEze: 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2017
Kondomatic:

Lol! Apologies for the vagueness of the post. To address your confusion, I'm not even talking marriage plans just yet... he and I have had a candid discussion around the subject, he has plans for us to get married, he also addressed my fears on the whole tribal thing saying that he would handle his parents...

Now as a girl its only fair to have fears, I'm not fighting alone, I'm just trying to know if I should be realistic and true to my self and just end it now because of the possibility that I can decide to wait for us and something happens and our fighting plans dont work out and parents stick to their stand... *sigh...now I'm ranting
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by JavierEze: 4:12pm On Aug 15, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

You are not that old nah.
How long have U beem dating BTW?
and how has the relationship been going on?
those are some of the things that should influence your next steps

I feel like I am old o...I'm the first cry...

But anyway the relationship has been awesome really...no major deal breaking issues...he's great... I'm just concerned. *sigh
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by JavierEze: 4:15pm On Aug 15, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

then you would have had a FANTASTIC experience with a great person; you would have spent time to DISCOVER who your future partner truly is; figure out what they like/dislike; gotten to know them deeply; created an unbreakable bond that your parents CANT undo etc. these are the things that only "time" can show you.

i have to question your supposed "love" for this man, if you'd rather break up with him than spend 2 WONDERFUL years by that person's side. its like you are saying:" i love you, but i'd rather focus on another person than spend 2 yrs with you, and possibly breaking up"... it makes NO DAMN SENSE (if you truly loved that person)!

Ok.
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by Jaqenhghar: 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2017
JavierEze:

I feel like I am old o...I'm the first cry...

But anyway the relationship has been awesome really...no major deal breaking issues...he's great... I'm just concerned. *sigh
There is a saying
If it aint broke, dont fix it.
As long as he is faithful and makes you happy, you good. Dont overthink and spoil a good thing with worry
If it doesnt work out in the long run, dont beat yourself. Shìt happens
Re: Should I Stay In The Relationship And Fight Or Should I Just End It? :( by JavierEze: 4:20pm On Aug 15, 2017
SirMichael1:

I knew you'd have an answer.

Lmao at the emboldened

Anyways, from what she wrote about the guy's family not desiring for their son an Igbo lady shows that the guy has probably spoken to his parent about her or his parent have seen a commitment that might instigate marriage.

Uncle I never said his family doesn't desire an igbo lady o. ..read it properly please? Thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fake Hair, Fake Boobs, Fake Ass, Fake Nails & They Want Real Guy / Going Bra-less. / Things Women Think About The First Time They Sleep Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.