Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,022 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (26404 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects / Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by dayokanu(m): 9:46pm On Feb 22, 2010
OAU, UI would always be tops in Nigerian context. They draw the best students and the internal competition amongst students is always keen.

The best students in secondary schools all want to go to UI, OAU, UNILAG and those top schools so basically whats left for the UNILORIN'S of these world are students who couldnt make it to UI, OAU, etc.

Tell me any good student you know of whose University of first choice was UNILORIN, UNISOKOTO or IMSU

Most of them go for UI, Ife, UNILAG, UNN etc.

These top schools also have the best faculty staff. Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Chike Obi, Ade Ajayi, Jubril Aminu and other top notch lecturers can only be found in these grade A schools.

The best secondary school students, grilled by Wole Soyinka's, Chinua Achebe etc can only be the best in the country
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by houvest: 10:09pm On Feb 22, 2010
Good for Unilorin. But for how long if indeed it is so? Who ranked highest last year and the year before and the one before that and who will rank highest next year?  why so much changes every year since there is really no active competition by the universities to excel in the rankings? why no nigerian univ in the top ten in africa? why did nigerian universities come tops in the zain challenge of last year? what are really the parameters for these rankings?
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 10:23pm On Feb 22, 2010
who d hell is saying lasu isn't a sch ? we hav d best law in west africa, lasu col of medicine ikeja among d best in nig, best m.b.a programm, we may not hav structures but d quality of its graduate is high. my frend in my dept ( koforowola a 19yrs old lady ) emerge last year d overall in ICAN ATS exam. lasu emerge 3rd best in nig according to 2009 wea ranking and right now we ar nos 9 in 2010 web ranking in nig after lautech which was place 8
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by bkoy: 10:32pm On Feb 22, 2010
OOU, where ar thou?
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by ayettymama(f): 10:55pm On Feb 22, 2010
lol

people lets be sensible

is there such thing as

the best 6000 unis in the world??

dont decieve urselves|!

if its not in the top 100

its not a good university!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by volasunkan: 10:58pm On Feb 22, 2010
oou  is on planet yahoo-yahoo.Rubbish!nairalanders beware of such skls were cultism and handout sales reign supreme
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by debosky(m): 10:59pm On Feb 22, 2010
ayettymama:

lol

people lets be sensible

is there such thing as

the best 6000 unis in the world??

dont decieve urselves|!

if its not in the top 100

its not a good university!

This is an unintelligent post - if only the top 100 universities are 'good' then most of the Universities in Europe, North America and Asia are all rubbish as well.

Not everyone can be in a top 100 - the issue of being a 'good' university is not a matter of rankings, it's about being able to meet basic standards of education and deliver a quality informational and developmental experience to the people who pass through its doors.

The undue fascination with rankings need to stop - develop the quality and depth of your teaching abilities and research and then the University will impact its community.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 22, 2010
bkoy:

OOU, where ar thou?

OOU hmm!! thats not a uni man, its a jamb lesson.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by abioila(m): 11:15pm On Feb 22, 2010
@ayettemama u would av made sense if u had not put"if not in d top hundred then its rubish" @al when did structures becom d basis of rankin if we are talking of structures then covenant univ wil b d best in nigeria nd one of d best in d world.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by volasunkan: 11:16pm On Feb 22, 2010
@ luvola,ur passion and love for praising lasu,even in the face of obvious academic malfeasence of this glorified ojo high skl is incandescently infuriating,i knw lasu.like every state skl,in nigeria,operates a system dat is politically compromised,right from admission to recruitment and promotion of staff.while top skls will scout for the best hands in their skl to lead d skl,skls like lasu,unilorin,uniben etc must employ a son of the soil to be VC THUS COMPROMISING d culture of d skls,skls like UNILAG go 4 d best hands and alumnus to promote d traditions of the skl.its not ur fault,that skls such as lasu,have a negative perception.My advice to you is to finish in Lasu and go for a masters in skls like LAG,UI,OAU,match this with ur USP,men,u will be in the top league.It beats my imagination that,you can not name products of lasu law,i really want to be educated on the lasu law.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rflexii(m): 11:20pm On Feb 22, 2010
it amazes me when i hear people shouting my school is this, my school is that! i just imagine how many of them have actually travelled around to see what is really good. Am an Ilorin boy, but school in the most peaceful university in the country (UDUS). I know how unilorin products feels, and i know its due to lack of experience. Where are the products of unilorin of today. Am not here to say my school is the best, but i know my school is not the last, if you want to verify you come pay a visit to the seat of the caliphate and i bet you'll reach home and tell a good story.

I remain a Danfodites
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by ayettymama(f): 11:34pm On Feb 22, 2010
debosky did u see me write most of the schools in europe are good?

I stand by what i say

The schools are judged according to their academics and quality of education

they dont just randomly select schools to put on the table!

if its no good it wont get a good place
instead of sayin the school has a long way to go!

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/results

i take that back

MOST of the unis here are in the uk!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 11:39pm On Feb 22, 2010
@ vola - i laugh in french to yur post, if lasu is a glorified secondary sch,y is d sch rank 3rd best in 2009 web rank ? answer my question now
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by mamagee3(f): 12:58am On Feb 23, 2010
No it's not, they are so many high and top universities in Nigeria. . .
What about the University of Nigeria. . . undecided
Madonna University. . .
And the host of others? undecided
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by semid4lyfe(m): 1:05am On Feb 23, 2010
mama-gee:

No it's not, they are so many high and top universities in Nigeria. . .
What about the University of Nigeria. . . undecided
Madonna University. . .
And the host of others? undecided
Madonna University? Wetin you chop?
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Nobody: 1:20am On Feb 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Maybe COW DUNG grin grin grin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Chimanet(m): 1:36am On Feb 23, 2010
Ok!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 1:45am On Feb 23, 2010
These claims are laughable and at best stupid egostical claims that only serve the myopic interests of the school authorities and a selected few.
Somebody just comes out to lay frivilous claims without stating in clear terms what their criteria were.I mean,on what basis was Unilorin of all schools(Lord have Mercy) chosen as the best in Nigeria.Nobody has said anything about the quality of the Academic staff,the number of renown profs that ve contributed to the development of anything,neither did anyone say anything about the quality of facilities in the Universities.Let's be realistic, a majority of our Universities are just living in the shadows of their good old glories.From U.l, UNN, OAU, ABU and UniLag thesame problems are prevalent,overspent and lethargic lecturers with little or no motivation to impact real knowledge.Most times,I shudder at the so-called Profs,they are as archaic as the egyptian pyramids,many of them hardly update and keep themselves abreast of the changes in their field and are not even as intelligent as they are cracked up to be.
I am presently in my Final yr at one of the Federal Universities in Nigeria,I know the kind of education I want but am sorry i am not getting it here and I know that no Naija University can offer that kinda education,they are all rife with thesame problems.
So anyone beating their Chest and laying claims to be the best should atleast act like the best in terms of action,an average University or College in the US,UK,Canada or even recently South easth Asia will shiit on our so-called best in all ramifications,so make them relax with the heavy chest beating before them go give demselves Cardiac arrest!!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by mamagee3(f): 1:46am On Feb 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Stalker, Get lost. . .
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by semid4lyfe(m): 1:52am On Feb 23, 2010
mama-gee:

Stalker, Get lost. . .
M.U.M.U feeling important. . . .you too small for me to see. Shey dem dey stalk ant for your village?
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Nobody: 1:54am On Feb 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

M.U.M.U feeling important. . . .you too small for me to see. Shey dem dey stalk ant for your village?
grin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by mamagee3(f): 1:55am On Feb 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

I have just realized I have been wasting my time on a Spunk-static raasclat!
Pssf!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by semid4lyfe(m): 2:17am On Feb 23, 2010
mama-gee:

I have just realized I have been wasting my time on a Spunk-static raasclat!
Pssf!
Ode ni e. . . .try being original so gbo?
Spunk-static raasclat! - MrCrackles 2010 registered trademark (All rights reserved).
Opolo oshi, shioor!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by troublenot: 2:26am On Feb 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Spunk-static raasclat! - MrCrackles 2010 registered trademark (All rights reserved).
Opolo oshi, shioor!

shocked FINISHING shocked

Total K.O.
grin grin grin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by mamagee3(f): 2:32am On Feb 23, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Opolo oshi, shioor!
You're indeed a Spunk.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by allman(m): 2:41am On Feb 23, 2010
There are just two universities in Nigeria: OAU and others.
i am so glad i am an alumnus.
greaaaaaaaaaaaaat IFE
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Borat1: 2:45am On Feb 23, 2010
@Topic,
who cares?!
The fact remains all the uni's in nigeria are a hot mess!
Where a computer science graduate cant start up a computer, but he'll rip you to pieces in a theoretical seminar
Big deal! sad cool
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by loma(m): 3:06am On Feb 23, 2010
Though an OAU alumnus, I have been privileged to spend some time at some of the best schools in the US on some research( MIT, Harvard, Rice). It is not the size of the school or the imposing buildings, rather its the quality of teaching, research, and products that matters. Its what contribution your school is able to make to the larger society , and in turn the support of the alumni to the school.

Lets all contribute to developing our alma mata, and stop this useless debate over which secondary school is better. Start today by sending journals, textbooks, etc to your departmental library!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 3:47am On Feb 23, 2010
loma:

Though an OAU alumnus, I have been privileged to spend some time at some of the best schools in the US on some research( MIT, Harvard, Rice).  It is not the size of the school or the imposing buildings, rather its the quality of teaching, research, and products that matters. Its what contribution your school is able to make to the larger society , and in turn the support of the alumni to the school.

Lets all contribute to developing our alma mata, and stop this useless debate over which secondary school is better.  Start today by sending journals, textbooks, etc to your departmental library!
Bros plenty Gbosa to U. . . i like Ur analysis on this issue.
It is sheer folly to lay claims to being the best(i dont give a rat about those mediocre rankings,whatever the source).First and formost Unilorin is not even into research and yes there are hardly any research Universities in Nigeria(they are all just learning and no research),i mean for instance can a company like say Dangote cement want to develope a product model and say ok so so & so Naija University we are going to fund a research in one of Ur depts,no way!Then U talk of Alumni support,how much of it are these so-called best getting?What about the quality and number of the lecturers(profs & ph docs).What about facilities? I ve always argued that anyone that's studying engineering in any naija Uni is waisting his time,reality is no naija Uni(fed,state an private) have the massive capacity both in terms of equipment,facilities,funds and manpower.What we call engineering here,am sorry to say is a mediocre attempt,na who dash monkey banana,go to industries 2day and see the heads of any engineering dept,it is either an american,european,indian,chinco or sadly a lebanese and if luckily U find a nigerian in such position he has probably supported his yeye cert with a better degree from a college abroad.
Reality today is,if U go to industries,banks or even government parastatals and U take a cursory look at the nigerians atop,this will be the trend:
if he is a SWesterner,he is most likely to be 4rm the following sch ,UI,OAU and Unilag.
If he is a SEesterner or SSoutherner he is most likely to be 4rm the following sch:UNN,UniBen or UniPort.
If he is a Northerner or Midbeltan,he is most likely to be 4rm the following sch:ABU.
Those were the best and are still the best according to Naija standards.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 3:47am On Feb 23, 2010
loma:

Though an OAU alumnus, I have been privileged to spend some time at some of the best schools in the US on some research( MIT, Harvard, Rice).  It is not the size of the school or the imposing buildings, rather its the quality of teaching, research, and products that matters. Its what contribution your school is able to make to the larger society , and in turn the support of the alumni to the school.

Lets all contribute to developing our alma mata, and stop this useless debate over which secondary school is better.  Start today by sending journals, textbooks, etc to your departmental library!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Warriboy Graduated With Distinction In Masters In I.T Indiana USA (pics)(vids) / Poly Ibadan Bans Students From Carrying "Cross Bags" / I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.