Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,218 members, 7,825,818 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (26389 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects / Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by saliumomoh(m): 10:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
For me unijos still remain the best, not only in terms of academics but also in terms of in all aspect. Many students from these so called 1st generation unis. cannot even speak good english, or relect socially, they are the true defination of what we call educated illitrate, but a jossite will always represent anywhere anytime. Greatest Jossites!!!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2010
@ jarus - go to law sch,who are d people topping der ? dey ar lasu stu. lasu col of medicine ikeja is among d best in nig. lasu engineering too is performing, imagine a sch graduating just 4 1st class out of morethan 9000 graduants last year. who d hell is saying unilorin engineering is d best in nig ? futa has d best faculty of engineering in nig. o.a.u,futa,u.i are d best no doubt about dat ,but lasu stil remain among d top rated sch in nig
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by bims87(f): 11:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
@Jarus,I'm really feeling ur argument about this ur OAU!Ride on, m enjoying it.
Living on past glory or not,Unilag,OAU and U.I remain the most respected schools in Nigeria,these schools ve produced great people and are still producing.One thing that trips about OAU especially is dat,even with all strikes she goes on,she still comes top in d nigerian university scene.
What if OAU never go on strikes
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 11:26pm On Feb 23, 2010
is strike a yardstick for rating nig univ ? bims
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by abioila(m): 11:28pm On Feb 23, 2010
@jarus i am vry sure if those students i u nd luvola mentioned were in oda skols they wuld av repeated d same feat.so its not rili about d skul but the STUDENT.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by becomricch: 12:48am On Feb 24, 2010
dayokanu, you are a bitter person. what percentage of people pick your school. Most people dont pick your school.
quote system does not allow people to pick any school. what percentage of northerner pick your school as option. When most state thier own  university.  Oil company then use to come to ilorin to pick student. half of my classmate work for oil firm because the engineering school is very good.  Ilorin is the first university in nigeria to operate a radio station but lack of fund stop the program.  the mask is still at block 10 .

I remember we did engineering quiz for nigeria universities when i was there. ilorin came first 3 consecutive years.

Look by the time I left most department have never had first class. The way the other university dash out first class. Look to be considered for first class in ilorin. The senate not only pass you, by your paper is remarked by external examiner.

They do not give it like tuwo and amala. for the over 30 years of the department of electrical engineering at the university. I doubt if there are 10 people who ever had first class. 30 different set of the university.

In the whole of the science faculty, there would be less than 40 for the last 30 years. first class is 1 in every 750 student in ilorin, when compare to 1 in 70 of some school in nigeria.

First class in ilorin may mean an external examiner may have to remark the paper. It goes beyond just someone taken a like for you. first class is uncommon in the university of ilorin. If you doubt me. Ask anyone who went to ilorin. Do a google search, you would find many ilorin ex student who came abroad and got distinction. while at ilorin they were not allowed. If I am correct for the first 10 years, only two people had first class in electrical. They also have a different marking system. were some department Substrate  fail score from got mark. This is one of the reason, while first class is rare in the university.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by engrksa(m): 3:25am On Feb 24, 2010
unilorin is a local school where priorities are given 2 there kwara state indigenes. majority of there graduates enter d sch thru remedial programs and IJMB exams. the no of first class a school is producing doesnt matter. why would lecturers be callous to purposely fail student or mark them down. unilorin lecturers r fondly of dat local habit. if ur school doesnt produce first class regularly, it translate to 2 things, the level of ur student reasoning, the level of teaching & grading system. over the yrs from my findings, every secondary school leaver wants 2 go to ui, oau, unilag, abu and unn. those that couldnt meet up ends up in oda school 2 console theirselves. i went 2 unilag but i will for ever respect those aforementioned 4 schools. other schools were created 2 cater for those the prestigious schools rejected. infact, d unilorin setting is very local. lecturers will be speaking local dialectics. hope u guys didnt forget that unilorin student dont go on hols that why they do av mass failure. they r not organised. all they want is to run 3 semesters in one yr. hope u guys av not 4gotten d 44 sack lectures, whose case is still with ASUU. if not for local setting, can any vc in ui, oau, unilag, abu and unn try such, neva. leave unilorin grads alone & their local beliefs. if they r opportuned, they will surely come 2 ui, oau, unilag, abu and unn
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 8:11am On Feb 24, 2010
@ becom - unilorin isn't d only univ dat is producing 1st class. lasu law dept never produce 1st since its inception in 1983 yet dey hav d best law program in d whole of west africa, forget having 1st class in lasu faculty of art/social science because dey wil never giv u ( records are der in u are doubting me ) . d only fac u can see 1st class in lasu are - mgt science ,fac of science/engineering,fac of communication
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Jarus(m): 8:22am On Feb 24, 2010
saliumomoh:

For me unijos still remain the best, not only in terms of academics but also in terms of in all aspect. Many students from these so called 1st generation unis. cannot even speak good english, or relect socially, they are the true defination of what we call educated illitrate, but a jossite will always represent anywhere anytime. Greatest Jossites!!!
If this is your good English, then there is serious problem.

abioila:

@jarus i am vry sure if those students i u nd luvola mentioned were in oda skols they wuld av repeated d same feat.so its not rili about d skul but the STUDENT.
I agree with you to a great extent. But I think schools can also bring out your potential and this is where the quality of the school comes to play.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 8:23am On Feb 24, 2010
@ becom - d max nos of 1st u can see in a faculty in lasu is 1. for e.g a lady ( efe an accounting stu ) is d only stu on 1st class ( c.g.p.a of 4.54 as at d end of 300l ) in my faculty . d fact is dat lasu dont dash out 1st class anyhow and it is not certain whether d above lady wil even graduate wit a 1st class
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 8:25am On Feb 24, 2010
@ becom - d max nos of 1st u can see in a faculty in lasu is 1. for e.g a lady ( efe an accounting stu ) is d only stu on 1st class ( c.g.p.a of 4.54 as at d end of 300l ) in my faculty . d fact is dat lasu dont dash out 1st class anyhow and it is not certain whether d above lady wil even graduate wit a 1st class
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 9:02am On Feb 24, 2010
I think this arguement is taking a dive into unseriouse and parochial sentiments.
What's all these jejune arguements about defending Ur school,I know becomshit has a soft spot for retrogressive and retarded arguements but do we have to come down to his lvl. . Geeezee. Even a respected member like Jarus is unwittingly towing the becomshit's way!! Guyz wake up and give us mature arguements without subscribing to becomshit's methods and taste.
Does it not seem fool-hardy that a school would deliberately make sure that the number of 1st class grads is reduced whatever it takes even if it means hiring external markers to find loopholes that are not there? Are ppl not supposed to be given 1st class based on merit and hardwork,what's this braggadocio about 1 student coming out with a 1st class out of 7500 students.Dont we all find their intentions impeachable? It should be a slight to both the sch and the academic staff that out of 7500 students,they could only make 1 or 2 students a 1st class material,woe to such a system.I find it stupid when lecturers boast about students failing their course,that to me goes to show that irrespective of Ur intelligence,the id!ot will see to it that U most likely fail it to prove his point and massage his ego. . .nonsense!
Guyz abeg make we argue with some seriousness here,lending credence to the garbage knowledge becomshit is spewing here only makes us look exactly likely him.Enough of this OAU is the bomb,UI is the best thing since slice bread and UniLag is the best thing to happen.
I like it when people argue with perspectives,what i see most of us doing is satisfy our parochial interest and glorify our dead schools.Let me set sth straight here,in the 60s,schools like UI &OAU served the SW region,UniLag was relatively new then.While UNN served the whole of the Eastern region and ABU served the whole of the North.
Yes, most of these ol schools are now a shadow of themselves but they are still the best,if we were to go by the right standards and pls,pls and pls am saying this to my SW brothers most of whom only have been to sch only in their region,UI and OAU were not and presently are not the best schools in Nigeria.They are one of the best(i am open to arguement) not entirely the best unless we want to take away schools like ABU & UNN even in the 60s it was a competion amongst these premier Universities and it still is.These schools have produced the best brains of this country and ve continued to do so,mentioning only UI and OAU as if they are the only premier Universities in Nigeria is to go the becomshit way and I treat such posts as kiddish and baseless.Sadly, what we fail to realize is that our schools are a shadow of themselves even relatively new private schools like Madonna,Convenant and igbinidion can boast of a better standing than them. . . It is a shame though but i dont think it has degenerated to the extent where Schools like Unilorin (which parades students like becomshit) will openly call out these premiers to a Duel.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rman: 9:06am On Feb 24, 2010
I am suprised people will come and rant about best university on the web.
The most important thing is what you contribute to the society after graduating.

Your grade or school amount to nothing if you can not contibute positive to the society. Nobody goes to school or get a grade for braging sake.

Look closely around you and you will find a lot of people have made the best out of the so called poor schools and some haven't made themselves anything by attending the so called great schools.

What are you contributing right now?
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Bobbyb(m): 10:01am On Feb 24, 2010
rman:

The most important thing is what you contribute to the society after graduating.

Your grade or school amount to nothing if you can not contibute positive to the society. Nobody goes to school or get a grade for braging sake.

Look closely around you and you will find a lot of people have made the best out of the so called poor schools and some haven't made themselves anything by attending the so called great schools.

OBJECTIVITY,

Ma OAU, UI, nd UNILAG brodas explore, research on ABU, UNIJOS, UNN, am sure u guyz will stop been TOO loyal, lol
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Pharoh: 11:32am On Feb 24, 2010
rman:

Thanks for this post.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Kaffs(f): 11:58am On Feb 24, 2010
when a university is being recognised for its work i think that it should be applauded as opposed to what most of you have been doing based on your myopic views. I know for sure that if it had been any other so called first generation school that had lead other nigerian universities, your egos would have been sated. For unilorin to have been named the best in nigeria it is probably doing some things right which some other schools have neglected.Just as you cant judge the school(unilorin)based on what you saw ten years ago, you cant still believe that your school is still the best based on its past achievements. Basically, there is no school that does not have good students ,it is what those students can do for themselves that matters most
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 12:13pm On Feb 24, 2010
Kaffs:

when a university is being recognised for its work i think that it should be applauded as opposed to what most of you have been doing based on your myopic views. I know for sure that if it had been any other so called first generation school that had lead other nigerian universities, your egos would have been sated. For unilorin to have been named the best in nigeria  it is probably doing some things right which some other schools have neglected.Just as you cant judge the school(unilorin)based on what you saw ten years ago, you cant still believe that your school is still the best based on its past achievements. Basically, there is no school that does not have good students ,it is what those students can do for themselves that matters most
Well, it appears U ve got the answers,at least U sound reasonable unlike becomshit.So pls,I would like U to explain to us in clear english the criteria that were used to come to the conclusion that Unilorin is the best Sch in Nigeriia.And pls don't sell that crap about them having very few 1st class grads that's so lame or the size of the Sch coz that's a dumb arguement as well. Just let us know what it is Unilorin has been doing right that other schools are getting wrong.Pls enlighten us,may be we are ignorant of some facts.Until then,Unilorin is a paper tiger to me!!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by luvola(m): 12:46pm On Feb 24, 2010
good talk frm ry . @ kaff - tel us wat is unique about unilorin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Pharoh: 1:22pm On Feb 24, 2010
luvola:

good talk frm ry . @ kaff - tel us wat is unique about unilorin

We can also infer and say what is unique about any Nigerian university. I really want to know what the problem you guys have with UNILORIN? This was the first time they came tops and everyone is on them but no one was on those other universities all these years when they were topping the rankings. 

rhymz:

Well, it appears U ve got the answers,at least U sound reasonable unlike becomshit.So pls,I would like U to explain to us in clear english the criteria that were used to come to the conclusion that Unilorin is the best Sch in Nigeriia.And pls don't sell that crap about them having very few 1st class grads that's so lame or the size of the Sch coz that's a dumb arguement as well. Just let us know what it is Unilorin has been doing right that other schools are getting wrong.Pls enlighten us,may be we are ignorant of some facts.Until then,Unilorin is a paper tiger to me!!

Brother in such rankings we cannot say unilorin is doing anything right which the other universities are not doing which also applies when comparing Harvard and Princeton.It all boils down to the volume or difference in gap between those universities taking into account the criteria they are using for such rankings. The foundation of all these ranking has noting to do with africans initially at the formative stages. It was only meant to serve the Asian and american universities (not even europe), you can check that up on the internet.

You cannot easily find the data's of the two most prestigious university ranking about african schools unlike these other ones. The criteria also is more complicated than the ones used by other ranking sites. Now for the ranking that said unilorin was first please check up the criteria here http://www.webometrics.info/about_rank.html and compare it to the other two prestigious rankings below.

http://www.arwu.org/ARWUMethodology2009.jsp

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/methodology/simple-overview

You can also check the criteria of another ranking site like the one used to judge unilorin as first here http://www.4icu.org/menu/about.htm as they are almost the same but the positions are different judging from the list here http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/.

Now in my opinion i think it will be best for us to develop our own indigenous criteria for ranking our universities instead of the above criteria and until then please lets forget this my university is the best kind of argument.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Pharoh: 1:30pm On Feb 24, 2010
You guys can also check another criteria here http://www.universityrankings.ch/en/methodology/shanghai_jiao_tong

Here is the link also for the top 20 nigerian universities by NUC http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=870&z=12 in 2009.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by ayettymama(f): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2010
hold on

the last tim i checked word rankings

IB was in the top 2000

what happened since then

anyyyyyyways

why would the schools in naija be any good

when all the officials are using public funds to send thier kids abroad??

i say they pass a bill makin it cumpolsury for all gov.t officials to send thier kids to gov.t schools

and ull beginto see rapid improvements in those hell holes they call universities!

kmt- where the handouts are full of spellin mistakes and old theories! lemme not even start on the jargos they learn in med school!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 1:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
Pharoh:

We can also infer and say what is unique about any Nigerian university. I really want to know what the problem you guys have with UNILORIN? This was the first time they came tops and everyone is on them but no one was on those other universities all these years when they were topping the rankings. 

Brother in such rankings we cannot say unilorin is doing anything right which the other universities are not doing which also applies when comparing Harvard and Princeton.It all boils down to the volume or difference in gap between those universities taking into account the criteria they are using for such rankings. The foundation of all these ranking has noting to do with africans initially at the formative stages. It was only meant to serve the Asian and american universities (not even europe), you can check that up on the internet.

You cannot easily find the data's of the two most prestigious university ranking about african schools unlike these other ones. The criteria also is more complicated than the ones used by other ranking sites. Now for the ranking that said unilorin was first please check up the criteria here http://www.webometrics.info/about_rank.html and compare it to the other two prestigious rankings below.

http://www.arwu.org/ARWUMethodology2009.jsp

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/methodology/simple-overview

You can also check the criteria of another ranking site like the one used to judge unilorin as first here http://www.4icu.org/menu/about.htm as they are almost the same but the positions are different judging from the list here http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/.

Now in my opinion i think it will be best for us to develop our own indigenous criteria for ranking our universities instead of the above criteria and until then please lets forget this my university is the best kind of argument. 

geeez. . . Bros,na who U wan give headaches from reading through all those endless links Wey U post. Shebi U don read am,why not break em down and explain it to us in layman's term for us to understand the criteria.Need I remind U that any group can come up with claims of any favoured sch being the best.I dont give a damn who wins their hearts and polls to emerge best coz it beats my imagination that these so-called ranking(abi na rantings sef) will rank one sch the best only to come out next yr to pronounce another sch who hitherto where not even in the first three.And then the former best is no where close to the first three best, . . Geeez. . How dem dey do their own grading make we know, unless the likes of becomshit is on the panel doing sb's bidding, . Until then Unilorin to me is just another naija Universtity,too much hype no substance!!!
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by baslone: 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2010
ayettymama:

hold on

the last tim i checked word rankings

IB was in the top 2000

what happened since then

anyyyyyyways

why would the schools in naija be any good

when all the officials are using public funds to send thier kids abroad??

i say they pass a bill makin it cumpolsury for all gov.t officials to send thier kids to gov.t schools

and ull beginto see rapid improvements in those hell holes they call universities!

kmt- where the handouts are full of spellin mistakes and old theories! lemme not even start on the jargos they learn in med school!

Exactly my point before I backed out from this thread. If you have
been reading all along, you'll notice that people are still using the Wole Soyinka era
as criteria to rate Universities in 2010. These were days when these
schools couldn't even boast of a single desktop computer, days of manual
typewriters, days when they used ink and stencil to print exam papers, days
when they probably used to write in class with feathers and ink.

At this information age, a lot of upgrading should have taken place all through the years. The
transformation of Unilag through the years is very obvious when compared
to U.I. A lot of people just want to come out and support their alma mata
when these things are so obvious.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by Pharoh: 3:22pm On Feb 24, 2010
rhymz:

geeez. . . Bros,na who U wan give headaches from reading through all those endless links Wey U post. Shebi U don read am,why not break em down and explain it to us in layman's term for us to understand the criteria.Need I remind U that any group can come up with claims of any favoured sch being the best.I dont give a damn who wins their hearts and polls to emerge best coz it beats my imagination that these so-called ranking(abi na rantings sef) will rank one sch the best only to come out next yr to pronounce another sch who hitherto where not even in the first three.And then the former best is no where close to the first three best, . . Geeez. . How dem dey do their own grading make we know, unless the likes of becomshit is on the panel doing sb's bidding, . Until then Unilorin to me is just another naija Universtity,too much hype no substance!!!

Trust me brother they are all just one page each and you will understand best if you read it yourself. cool No mind me na all these yeye ranking cause am na. When the teaching hospital of UI was first built in those days, it ranked number 5 in the whole world but where is it today as we speak? Make we stop all these past glory and local champion mentality. One day we will develop our own indigenous ranking system.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by dayokanu(m): 4:03pm On Feb 24, 2010
The product of any system (Output) depends on the INPUT and the addition

Its a known FACT that the best High school students in Nigeria choose UI, OAU, UNILAG, UNN and ABU That means these schools have the best quality of INPUTs.

The addition. Its a known FACT also that the UI, OAU, UNN, UNILAG, ABU have the best lecturers in any field

Most Lecturers in the second grade Universities are PhD students in these First generation Universities. it is not unusual to see Mr John lecturing a 300 level class of 1000 students when he is still battling his PhD.

When you go to UI science Dept and you see 4 Professors taking just one course, You can only get the best from them.

Tell me, Is it a coincidence that UI students came tops in the last Talents competition?

I am from OAU, but I realise that these first generation schools have the best OUTPUT in the society even in the corporate world.

Example See the English written by a University student who says his school is top notch
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by martinosi: 4:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
We are so hooked on Useless Stats zzzzzzzzzzzzz next
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by rhymz(m): 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
Pharoh:

Trust me brother they are all just one page each and you will understand best if you read it yourself.  cool No mind me na all these yeye ranking cause am na. When the teaching hospital of UI was first built in those days, it ranked number 5 in the whole world but where is it today as we speak? Make we stop all these past glory and local champion mentality. One day we will develop our own indigenous ranking system.
hahahaha. . . Bros,U just want me to read these comprehension passages sha!! Anyway,am very busy at the moment,may be later on in the nyt when i don buy my Alabukun put 4 corner incase. . Lol. . . Meanwhile,i am still going to hold my opinion about Unilorin and the rankings.
Let Me give U one very strong reason why I find it hard to believe that sch can be best in any serious minded ranking. . . I ve about 5 of my friends in that Sch.We all got our admissions thesame time two are already through while the remaining three are in their finals. . . Geeez. . U dont want to hear these guyz talk abt their sch. . The other one is in the habit of mimicking the heavy-laden  yoruba accent of many of their Lecturers.When we discuss any issue outside academics they are usually clueless. . . Their so-called engineering students don't even read to better themselves.I am an engineering student myself,I was embarassed by the knowledge of two of my friends in that pithol they call sch.One of em couldn't differentiate btw a spur gear and a helical gear,his response was usually "I don jack am before but e don comot for my head,this is a guy who back in sec sch was hot!! Abeg 4get all these yeye ranking biko. . .
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by chic2pimp(m): 5:55pm On Feb 24, 2010
dayokanu:

Example See the English written by a University student who says his school is top notch

Hehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by bims87(f): 8:35pm On Feb 24, 2010
@Luvola,nah, strike is no yardstick, but I made reference to that cos alot of people flaw that skul(OAU) that she's living on past glory because they now go on strike alot.Going on strike or not,the best ll remain the best but this part of OAU trips me.
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by dayokanu(m): 8:41pm On Feb 24, 2010
^^ Everyone trips for OAU
Re: Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking by abioila(m): 12:08am On Feb 25, 2010
@pharoh that link u posted for nuc rankings was done in 2005 not 2009.{JO O}

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Admission Into Nigerian Institute Of Health Technology Is Still On / Am Having An Extra Year In School I Feel Like A Failure Now. / Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.