Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland (4674 Views)

Seun This Is The Right Time For You To Do Give Away On Nairaland / Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / Seun, This New Look Make Sense Oo.. Give Us Dislike Button (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Ihatepork: 10:21pm On Aug 17, 2017
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by babyfaceafrica: 10:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
Lolz....coming form the OP..I will pass
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by gameboyo: 10:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
Afam4eva:

You don't get it...that someone joined Nairaland 10 years ago does not automatically give the person preference. There are other variables such as how many likes and quotes a person gets from a comment or how elaborate the person's comment is. All the variables will be added together.

Tribalistic comments tends to have more likes, so how do u solve that
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by IgbotiicGirL(f): 10:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
Ihatepork:

See this mumu flatroness grin It's you people that will still lose. We aren't cry babies and we don't play victim. Things don't get to us like you guys lol. That's why yorubas don't tag mods when you people insult them. We know the people that tag mods.

OK sir

Which people are crying everyday because of skull mining

Which people. Are crying everyday because of yahoo yahoo

Mind u this is just d beginning

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by shaqhead: 10:33pm On Aug 17, 2017
GMBuhari:

To further boost your point , some months I uploaded a photo depicting flat head I got banned for 3 weeks today hardly is there a thread where you don't find images with tribal mark depicting afonja if you type flat-ino or flat-head together without hyphen it changes to Ibo, type afonja till infinity it doesn't change

Yoruba and pro Buhari nairalanders are on ban tl 2027 and this is not blackmail I have records of messages I've sent as mails to moderators

At a point I gathered all evidence and sent it to seun himself but the users are documented the expose about are still active and still cloning legitimate users and when they do they ban the real user of that profile and destroy the person's image before he resumes from ban I have friends who got tired of NL and the unfair moderating system , I myself may be logged in but I'm not a troll I don't go looking for trouble

. All these is just a waste of effort I know they won't change anything but in all fairness I'm putting it out here
Interestingly, I remember taking you up on this issue and you expressed reservations that it will affect nairaland revenue! What changed your opinion on putting out another suggestion to the plethora of suggestion that has been said by different folks who have all gone quiet becos they have gotten tired of the filth that litters this platform!

Abi u wan spoil nairaland revenue?

i dnt agree with you that it wont change nothing when we havent even tried it out!

I actually buy that idea of verification with a phone number to give one unbriddled access and unverified accounts have limitations!

If reddit will survive all the stringent rules why won't Nairaland with all the good stuff that abound in here!

This thread I believe like all the other threads that have copiously talked about this issue will die a natural death as we all watch as kids infests this platform with their inanity EXCEPT Seun proves us wrong!

Oooops this is for @afam4eva
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Afam4eva(m): 10:33pm On Aug 17, 2017
gameboyo:

Tribalistic comments tends to have more likes, so how do u solve that
Like i said earlier, it's not just one variable that will be used. Tribalistic comments may be a traction for likes from other tribalists but people who make them will likely have less reputation which means they won't make the cut anyways. It's not just about scoring high in only one variable.

1 Like

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Najokee: 10:56pm On Aug 17, 2017
Afam4eva:
[s]Seun, i know you won't listen sha but i think i have to say it anyways.

Since the inception of Nairaland, tribalism has rained supreme and it became a fad from around 2008 till now and a lot of attempt have been made to actually exterminate the tribalist but all have proven abortive. We now know that banning them is just a waste of the time of moderators because these people have a lot time on their hands and will open a new account before you even say JACK ROBINSON.

All hope is not lost really because i have a practical solution that will help in reducing the visibility of tribalists on Nairaland. This does not mean that tribalistic comments will not be made but the fact that they will be suppressed by more meaningful comments. I actually suggested this some years ago though i'm not sure if it was because of the tribalism. So, here it is.

You need to introduce a REPUTATION SYSTEM whereby every nairalander is given a score depending on how much they have contributed to the forum. You can use variables such as REGISTRATION DATE, LIKES, COMMENTS and any other variables that you think is good enough. For instance, someone whose has been on nairaland for a longer time together with the addition of other variables will be given more priority at the top of a thread when they make comments. Which means that more meaningful comments will make it to the top of the pack leaving tribalistic comments to waste away at the end of the pecking order.

Another feature that will actually aid this ystem is the VERIFICATION system whereby people will have the choice to verify their accounts thereby making them real people as opposed to anonymous and these people will also be given priority.
[/s]
Your 1st sentence shows exposed your hypocrisy…. Who on NL does know that you are bigot.
The crap you wrote up there wont work, Seun use facebook login that way peop cant be anonymous and can be reported to facebook to block their account after they are blocked here on NL. Even me go behave grin grin grin

PS: for your own good dont take advise from Afam, he is a known bigot….… ...

3 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Najokee: 10:56pm On Aug 17, 2017
Tolexander:
Afam!

One of the originators of nairaland tribalism in 2008 is talking grin
Gbam grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by tarryT(m): 10:56pm On Aug 17, 2017
Afam4eva:
Seun, i know you won't listen sha but i think i have to say it anyways.

Since the inception of Nairaland, tribalism has rained supreme and it became a fad from around 2008 till now and a lot of attempt have been made to actually exterminate the tribalist but all have proven abortive. We now know that banning them is just a waste of the time of moderators because these people have a lot time on their hands and will open a new account before you even say JACK ROBINSON.

All hope is not lost really because i have a practical solution that will help in reducing the visibility of tribalists on Nairaland. This does not mean that tribalistic comments will not be made but the fact that they will be suppressed by more meaningful comments. I actually suggested this some years ago though i'm not sure if it was because of the tribalism. So, here it is.

You need to introduce a REPUTATION SYSTEM whereby every nairalander is given a score depending on how much they have contributed to the forum. You can use variables such as REGISTRATION DATE, LIKES, COMMENTS and any other variables that you think is good enough. For instance, someone whose has been on nairaland for a longer time together with the addition of other variables will be given more priority at the top of a thread when they make comments. Which means that more meaningful comments will make it to the top of the pack leaving tribalistic comments to waste away at the end of the pecking order.

Another feature that will actually aid this ystem is the VERIFICATION system whereby people will have the choice to verify their accounts thereby making them real people as opposed to anonymous and these people will also be given priority.

See who is complaining? You,..Afam4eva is the first moniker that made me feel the naked pain of triberlism, so shut up. bleeping hypocrite.

2 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by ICAMETOWIN(m): 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2017
You wanna fight tribalism? tell seun to install a damn dislike button.

3 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by victorioushands: 1:38am On Aug 18, 2017
REPUTATION: You forget that tribal comments gather far more likes that others.
VERIFICATION: Apart from usual email verification, are you suggesting Nairaland begins to call account holders to ensure they what before they can comment, or you are possibly suggesting integrating peoples' phone numbers in verification?

There is no sense in this in practical terms.

My suggestion would be for the forum owner to set aside a staff or two to be blocking profiles of those who post tribal comments on regular basis without have to only respond to report. Key tribal words that are common in this place can be blacklisted automatically and updated periodically - making it impossible for those using it to post their comments.

After all said and done, it will still not eradicate tribal wars but it can help.
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by TemmyWon(f): 1:39am On Aug 18, 2017
Alcatraz005:
Any attempt to reduce tribalism or to compromise the anonymity enjoyed on nairaland would only see to its rapid demise.

The site is a legacy that has gone beyond you.

NB: Don't ever think of clamping down on tribalism on this board. It is the real way we feel about ourselves in

Thank you.
so you think you're making sense. Even men that tie wrapper (figuratively) and sit on low women stools to chat like morons come to nairaland commenting their low sense and weak gray matter. I think this IPOB/AFONJA shat is absolutely reserved for the dregs and low lives who can't even raise hands in public. #strongpeople don't hide to throw pebbles. if you're above 25 think, and employ your senses more. this is sick Seun should do something nairaland is losing credibility.

2 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by laudate: 3:45am On Aug 18, 2017
Tolexander:
Afam!

One of the originators of nairaland tribalism in 2008 is talking grin
I no know say you sef, see am. I laughed when I read his submission. cheesy Of course, we all know how it would end if Seun adopts his idea. His fellow Igbos would get the highest rankings. Cunny man die, cunny man bury am! grin

3 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by BininKingdom: 3:50am On Aug 18, 2017
Before seun will stop tribalism nairaland, he should 1st make religion equal

BTW tribalism is in every part of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 3:55am On Aug 18, 2017
Afam4eva:

Very nice point Afam, But how do we determine objectively what is tribalistic and what isn't objectively as opposed to subjectively? If we can't answer that question, we may be faces with a situation that would lead to a tyranny of the majority, where minority views are subsumed. That is what we who are against hate speech have to look at.

1 Like

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by laudate: 4:07am On Aug 18, 2017
kn23h:
Afam4eva, you yourself are a tribalist. You're not holy.

We can start by

1. Not moving Biafra thread to homepage - let them discuss Biafra on BiafraSay. That thread ends up being anti-Yoruba because your people can't do without mentioning Yorubas as if we're holding them down with chains.

2. Stop being partial. You get banned for saying 'osu', but you get frontpage for screaming 'afonja'

3. You get banned for posting anti-ibo pictures, but anti-Yoruba pictures get likes.

While you were a mod, a terrible one at that, you and that tout in cultural section, did nothing to end tribalism. You fed it. Now after firing you, you want us to sympathize with you abi? I noticed that you've been groveling for the past couple of months. Pele.

You were able to comment on Yoruba/Biafra matter, while Mynd44 was reprimanded for the same thing.

Check all the sections they made Ibos a mod, won ti bajeeeee. Who goes to cultural section anymore? Check out politics section, only jobless ipod yoots plenty. Soon it will be like the cultural section. Seuun just let these people mess up his forum.
Hehehe....! cheesy You talk am well! I don't even want to talk too much now, because next thing, he and his cohorts will ban me. They derive such joy in banning my moniker. grin Yet his people that say far worse things get off, so lightly and are hardly ever banned! One day, another clown had used vile words on my moniker. I responded by tossing those same words he had used on me, back to him.

Guess what? I got banned, the other chap got off scot free, and continued posting thrash for days. Na their way! grin See how he was calling for proof, and trying to claim he was defending his tribe, without being tribalistic. He thinks he is talking to toddlers, not so? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by silkytouch(m): 5:04am On Aug 18, 2017
OP, there is a flaw in your idea. You suggested that comments with many LIKES should be given seat at the front row and the Irony here is most tribalistic comments draw so much LIKES from the team of the commenter. It is an opposition thing right now and every side gets supports from its members...

You see comments like Afonja brown roof bla bla bla getting 100likes and then you see comments like Developers developing Iran bla bla bla getting 150likes and with your system these comments will occupy the topmost positions on any thread.

The situation is dire and has gotten more complex.
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Tolexander: 5:26am On Aug 18, 2017
kn23h:

Igboist?

Omo shut up.

Afam is a tribalist. Why seun made him a mod is still beyond me.
Seun actually made him a mod then to defend the interest of the Igbos.

OAM4J and Jarus were the politics section moderators then and both yoruba.
When tribalism started then, the Ndigbo on the forum were crying foul of being unfairly treated by the mods, cos both are of Yoruba origin. Hence, Seun had to bring on Afam, an igbo man and a very long consistent poster since 2005.
Later, Ikenna123, an Igbo by tribe, was also brought on board to deal with tribalistic posters.

1 Like

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Inova(m): 5:54am On Aug 18, 2017
Afam4eva:

This is a brilliant solution. Well done.
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 6:49am On Aug 18, 2017
All this can be stopped by a dislike button and comment that get bad reviews will be automatically hidden. I expected Suen to have made a statement here though

2 Likes

Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by bakila: 7:18am On Aug 18, 2017
Afam4eva:
Seun, You need to introduce a REPUTATION SYSTEM whereby every nairalander is given a score depending on how much they have contributed to the forum. You can use variables such as REGISTRATION DATE, LIKES, COMMENTS and any other variables that you think is good enough.

Haters have more likes here, than everyone save tribalist. You are right about doing something to flush haters.
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by bakila: 7:19am On Aug 18, 2017
radiokilla:
All this can be stopped by a dislike button and comment that get bad reviews will be automatically hidden. I expected Suen to have made a statement here though
Yes the dislike button, will be useful.
Re: Seun, This Is How To Fight Tribalism On Nairaland by Afam4eva(m): 8:38am On Aug 18, 2017
victorioushands:
REPUTATION: You forget that tribal comments gather far more likes that others.
VERIFICATION: Apart from usual email verification, are you suggesting Nairaland begins to call account holders to ensure they what before they can comment, or you are possibly suggesting integrating peoples' phone numbers in verification?

There is no sense in this in practical terms.

My suggestion would be for the forum owner to set aside a staff or two to be blocking profiles of those who post tribal comments on regular basis without have to only respond to report. Key tribal words that are common in this place can be blacklisted automatically and updated periodically - making it impossible for those using it to post their comments.

After all said and done, it will still not eradicate tribal wars but it can help.
Based on your suggestion, it's a safe to say that you've not been on Nairaland for long because if you had, you would know that almost everything under the sun have been tried including what you suggested.

Tribal comments get more likes. That's true but what is their reputation in other areas. Getting enough likes is just one of the many variables to be used. Mind you, the number of SHARES will also be used as well and if you look carefully most tribal comments may have a lot of likes from fellow tribalists but they don't have the shares. It's mostly educated comments that have a lot of shares.

bakila:

Haters have more likes here, than everyone save tribalist. You are right about doing something to flush haters.

igbodefender:
Very nice point Afam, But how do we determine objectively what is tribalistic and what isn't objectively as opposed to subjectively? If we can't answer that question, we may be faces with a situation that would lead to a tyranny of the majority, where minority views are subsumed. That is what we who are against hate speech have to look at.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Is The Best Project Ever By The Best Governor In The SE Since 1999. PICS. / See How Many Ventilators Nigeria Would Have Had If NASS Renovation Money Is Used / Pastor Tunde Bakare's State Of The Nation Broadcast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.