Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard (23199 Views)

Nigeria Moves Against Illegal Chinese Miners, Others / I Will Establish National Guard To Solve Insecurity Problem Says Olawepo-hashim / FG Set To Engage US National Guard To Battle Insecurity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 19, 2017
mansakhalifa:
Can the Peace Corps,the way it is set up,act as a reserve army? I don't think so. Google the US National Guard to see what I mean.
you are comparing US to Nigeria grin. It's like comparing yourself to Dangote. Think again!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by calddon(m): 10:10am On Aug 19, 2017
what's the Job of the NSCDC

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 19, 2017
mansakhalifa:
A National Guard would be a fantastic idea but would they be willing to go the whole mile in establishing it? In the US where they are trying to adopt this fine idea from,for instance,each state governor maintains a certain level of control over the national guard unit in his state and only relinquishes such control when they are needed for national service. If the idea is to create a national guard that would be solely controlled by the FG like all other security agencies e.g.the police,then they should do away with the idea totally. Meanwhile,@Op is this how proper jobs are created in other parts of the world?
the structure of US defense should not be compared to Nigeria. What's obtainable in the US CAN NEVER be obtainable in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 19, 2017
tdayof:

Show me a military hardware with an armed robber. Not possible man.

They've got specialized training. It's not a waste of time. National Guard shoukd actually be reserved officers.
reserved to do what. Have the military tackled boko haram or militancy. What are you having reserve for when you have not maximised your present resource?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by OlujobaSamuel: 10:16am On Aug 19, 2017
they should equip the jtf for this purpose since it entails all security agencies, no need for another agency abeg.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 19, 2017
This country and "cop copy" spirit sef? Una don copy all oyibo agencies name finish from CIA to Hollywood yet una nor dey fit do 0.00000001% of wetin the original agencies dey do! Na only inferior brains una sabi advertise. Why? National guard my yansh. Make book haram bomb all of una wey dey copy all these names. Useless dumbass people

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by pokipoki: 10:22am On Aug 19, 2017
Now I understand how messed up our policy makers are. They are not thinking of modernizing and even recruiting more police personnel and they are talking of national guard. How will it be funded? A government that cannot fund its general hospitals!!!! In a sane society, the military has no business outside their barracks. The police are in charge of internal security.
Boko haram, kidnappers and the Niger delta problems grew out of proportion as a result of the inefficency of the police. How can a right thinking government have about 370,000 police for a population of 185million people with an unemployment rate of 22%?
Meanwhile, the country lacks instruments such as constant electricity, automated traffic light and CCTV camera which can make their jobs easier.
Most police personnel are stark illiterates cannot write anything other than their names. The lack networked computers, work emails, don't get paid, live in "God forsaken" accomodations and don't even get trained. That is the reason why most Nigerian policemen in states like lagos prefer traffic duties just to extort bribes from the public.
Once again, the policymakers should let us know how Will the national guard be funded?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 19, 2017
@majekdom2 who is comparing Nigeria to the US? Me? I don't think so. Read what I wrote again-slowly this time. The man I quoted was suggesting that the Peace Corps with the way they are set up can do what a proper National Guard can do and I simply said it is impossible. I cited the US national guard as an example because that is a perfect example of a proper national guard and not because I wish to compare us to a system which even a simpleton walking the street should know is light years ahead of us. Let me ask you: can the Peace Corps be deployed for combat operations when the need arises the same way the USNG were deployed to Iraq in 2003? I leave it to you to make sense of what I have explained to you.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by bigpicture001: 10:29am On Aug 19, 2017
this will add again to the very very bogus amount of fund for recurrent expenditure of the govt. what the govt shld be pursuing is a situation where the private sectors engage more workers more than the three tiers if govt combined.if I become the president anyday...I wll first b4 the mid nyt dissolve the civil defence..tgier duties can be done by a well motivated police force.for me I think nigeria needs national social group which will take care of ppl's in desperate nid b4 dey transform to huge social vices...wel,anida bad idea about frm the govt.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Omeokachie: 10:30am On Aug 19, 2017
Why not just recruit more people into the army and police?

That is how they go about setting up private armies for election purposes.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Themandator: 10:31am On Aug 19, 2017
t33why:
This is very bad news fa, what will now happen to all our mai guards

What we need is state police ...Anything national will not arrest the security decline in the country .....We need peolel with local knowledge to take charge of the security of their locality with all the necessary hardwares, not vigilante to risk life with 'barehands'

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Chookym(m): 10:31am On Aug 19, 2017
Peace corps can do d same job
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 19, 2017
@Favybloom "Copy Copy" indeed,man. Worst part is they won't "copy" the proper thing. This national guard thing is working perfectly in the US,BUT watch how they 'll mess it up over here. They might even start mounting roadblocks and "rogering".

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Cooly100: 10:33am On Aug 19, 2017
LexngtonSteele:
Believe me...This is a pre-emptive move by the North against the restless Flatinnos.

You would understand better later

Coward...You have the Army, Police, Navy, DSS, Airforce, Civil defence Corp...all filled with half-literate northerns and now you want National guard...which would still be filled with northerner...just for Biafra? What a coward...Even if you like form 100 more security agencies...You simply cannot force people to saty together where there is no equity, justice and fairness....
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Max24: 10:33am On Aug 19, 2017
Everybody in govt wants to create chop-chop for themselves. what happens to streghning the military and police to do the job.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 19, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@majekdom2 who is comparing Nigeria to the US? Me? I don't think so. Read what I wrote again-slowly this time. The man I quoted was suggesting that the Peace Corps with the way they are set up can do what a proper National Guard can do and I simply said it is impossible. I cited the US national guard as an example because that is a perfect example of a proper national guard and not because I wish to compare us to a system which even a simpleton walking the street should know is light years ahead of us. Let me ask you: [b]can the Peace Corps be deployed for combat operations when the need arises the same way the USNG were deployed to Iraq in 2003? [/b]I leave it to you to make sense of what I have explained to you.
have you conquered Boko haram before you deploy people to another nation... a sick man trying to heal another sick man... have you seen it happen. Point is it is redundant, the peace Corp can be upgraded, it doesn't have to answer the name Guard. I leave it to you to make sense of what I just posted.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by mmsen: 10:38am On Aug 19, 2017
State police are more vital than national guard.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by mmsen: 10:39am On Aug 19, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@Favybloom "Copy Copy" indeed,man. Worst part is they won't "copy" the proper thing. This national guard thing is working perfectly in the US,BUT watch how they 'll mess it up over here. They might even start mounting roadblocks and "rogering".

The US also has state police who do the grunt work.

Nigeria doesn't have such. That should be the priority. Not more 'national' nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by MEILYN(m): 10:40am On Aug 19, 2017
jay2pee:
They should first of all, sign the NIGERIAN PEACE CORPS into law, it can do the same job
Nonsense! We don't need Peace corps or war corps. This is just another avenue to loot Nigeria dry. I mean, the ones we have are corrupt and aren't functioning well yet you want to add more problems?
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by gabng(m): 10:41am On Aug 19, 2017
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by LexngtonSteele: 10:41am On Aug 19, 2017
Cooly100:

Coward...You have the Army, Police, Navy, DSS, Airforce, Civil defence Corp...all filled with half-litrate northerns and now you want National guard...which would still be filled with northerner...just for Biafra? What a coward...Even if you like form 100 more security agencies...You simply cannot force people to saty together where there is no equity, justice and fairness....

hehe hehe. a beg don't kill yourself with heart attack. Who is the coward? Me or Ojukwu who ran? Or Kanu who ran when we were waiting for him in kaduna? Who has said elections would hold after deceiving una?
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Cooly100: 10:45am On Aug 19, 2017
LexngtonSteele:

hehe hehe. a beg don't kill yourself with heart attack. Who is the coward? Me or Ojukwu who ran? Or Kanu who ran when we were waiting for him in kaduna? Who has said elections would hold after deceiving una?

...lazy coward...after Northern National Guard..What next...? Which agency will you form again...to stop Biafra...? Where did you hear that election would hold...Try and read this thread...

https://www.nairaland.com/3998216/no-election-anambra-nigeria-media
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 19, 2017
@majekdom2 You unknowingly shot yourself in foot sir. You unwittingly agreed with my point: "THE PEACE CORP CAN BE UPGRADED". You said so,not me. That means you agree with what I said earlier on about those guys. Now,about what you said about a sick man healing a doctor or a mad man or something like that I guess we can leave that for a future symposium. No need letting your passion get in the way of your analysis. I tried educating you about how a proper national guard should be set up and you have simply refused to learn by making use of wikipedia or google. I rest my case.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by wink2015(m): 10:49am On Aug 19, 2017
The so called National Guard will equally collapse by the time the federal government devolve power to the states as the region can not maintain the Army, Navy, Airforce, Police, Customs, Immigration,Civil Defence and still add the burden of a national guard.

I totally disagree with this policy of creating national guard. We want to copy the United States System but we are avoiding copying true democracy, fiscal federalism, resource control and other fair and equitable system that is practised in the western world. The same people who are advocating for National Guard were at the forefront to jettison the idea of state police for the state that which to establish state police.

Our presidential system is too expensive especially now that oil is fast going away and our revenue reducing we must also take serious measure to curb cost of governance and not to increase the expenditure of government.

Imagine the cost of paying legislators ( senators, house of representative members, state legislators, council ) We should be making legislating part time in Nigeria and not full time.

When Nigeria is restructured let the regions set up their own state guard and let the federal government just run the federal army.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by 2undeajigs: 10:55am On Aug 19, 2017
We still don't understand the primary function of civil defense & they want to create "national guard ".
Our problem nah follow follow.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by letusbepieces: 11:00am On Aug 19, 2017
Mr. Baldwin said the National Guard is a very strategic and cost effective outfit that has helped the U.S in tackling security challenges and emergencies such as flood, fire and other natural disasters.

Whilst the Nigeria Gorilla is thinking of possible means to murder IPOB and Militant in the name of National Guard, see the very smart response the white man gave him about National Guard.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 19, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@majekdom2 You unknowingly shot yourself in foot sir. You unwittingly agreed with my point: "THE PEACE CORP CAN BE UPGRADED". You said so,not me. That means you agree with what I said earlier on about those guys. Now,about what you said about a sick man healing a doctor or a mad man or something like that I guess we can leave that for a future symposium. No need letting your passion get in the way of your analysis. [b]I tried educating you about how a proper national guard should be set up [/b]and you have simply refused to learn by making use of wikipedia or google. I rest my case.
Yes, it should be set up but we don't have to create a new one. What is ICPC doing that EFCC cannot do? What is DPR doing that NAPIMS cannot do? What is NSDSC that NDLEA, CUSTOMS and military cannot do. Why can't we have one body and units under rather than different bodies that are redundant in the long term.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 19, 2017
These guys should train and equip the civil defense corps to get the job done. We must not copy everything. We can hardly pay salaries and yet, we want to establish a national guard. Nigeria why can't you create your own things and let others copy you. Call it civil defense. Not national guard. Must you copy Chai!!!
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Kingspin(m): 11:16am On Aug 19, 2017
This guys are just big fools.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by baralatie(m): 11:17am On Aug 19, 2017
calddon:
what's the Job of the NSCDC
go od question
Re: Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard by Originalsly: 11:23am On Aug 19, 2017
What emerging security threat?...terrorism?...that's been here for years. Why form another disciplined force when the present ones are indisciplined?....why not fix these and make them competent and effective? Yes...the military is operating outside it's mandate.... why not first draw the line between military and Police?...pull them off the streets where they behave like above the law Police? Yes...look at the US... and see the National Guard.... their purpose... would they have a National Guard if they had a NYSC?..... why not restructure NYSC ... have their facilities habitable and train them in protecting the Fatherland so that in cases of emergencies they can be called upon... just like the National Guard in the US? Why not?....I guess that these things don't provide opportunities to loot lavishly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kwankwaso: “They Said We Can’t Use Eagle Square, ICC” / Saraki Visits Olusegun Obasanjo (Pics/Video) / New Ondo Deputy Governor, Others Set To Dump PDP For APC..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.