Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW (25822 Views)

Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List / Nigerians Can Now Buy And Sell Electricity (2 MW Minimum) - Fashola / FG Says Power Generation Is Up To 7000MW, Nigerians Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by adanny01(m): 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

The lie is they cant generate 7000MW,
For you to say they generate 7000MW, it means7000MW is being fed into the power pool called grid and that 7000MW is being consumed or lets say 6000MW is being consumed by the discos assuming there is wild assumption of 1000MW loss.
Even at that disco cant absorb 6000MW.

The rule is your dont generate what is not being consumed hence the system will collapse due to over voltage or over frequency, but on the day that was quoted for the 7000MW , there was no system collapse, so where did the 7000MW go to .or was it stored on the grid.. Lol

On the quoted day, a 150MVA transformer or there about exploded in Jos workstation. The over 30 year old transformer couldnt take the heat.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by femia1(m): 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2017
In Nasarawa where i live there is 24hrs power supply, except transformer issues where power drops sometime, Fashola is working

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by adanny01(m): 8:52pm On Sep 15, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

Lies

You need massive and highly capital intensive infrastructure development in both Transmission and Distribution network to be able to handle 7000MW.
Transmission capacity as at last quarter hoveered around 5000MW
One thing about Electricity that people dont know is you cant store it.
As you Generate, there must be people downstream to consume
Power generated = Power demanded + losses.

So its a lie that 7000MW was generated, because where is the Transmission and Distrubtion Network to handle it

Working in that sector for over 6 years though not an elect engineer, i learnt that one of the secondary reasons light becomes inconsistent during the dry season is because of heat. Conductors and transformers heat up that load has to be shed to control transformer/conductor temperatures and maintain efficiency. A 100mva trasnformer may take 90% of its capacity during cold weather but may carry 50% or less during heat periods. Even our cars experience overheating mostly in heat seasons when AC's are required.

It means the capacity of the distribution and transmission equipment increases especially in this season (August and September which are the wettest months in Nigeria). I wont be surprised if they were able to get that on a very wet and cold day all over thw country.

Lastly, when such a claim is made, it does not mean that the threshold was maintained over a long time. Its probable that it was for a second. Even that would be a record.

Lets not be negative.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by Gamesmart: 8:53pm On Sep 15, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

Yes..
Because you dont generate what is not being consumed.

Else the system will collapse due to over voltage or over frequency

The MD of TCN said here that "the nation currently has stranded load generation of about 2,000MW".

https://guardian.ng/business-services/tcn-secures-2billion-to-expand-capacity-to-20000mw/

What does he mean by that?

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by shos: 8:54pm On Sep 15, 2017
veraponpo:

The light in my area has become almost fully steady.

If it is off for a while, you can be sure it will be restored within a short time.

Mr Fashola is doing well
where is your place, oniro osi
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by adanny01(m): 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by olomolekan(m): 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2017
Flets:
Fools everywhere.

Fools will agree that we doubled our highest production in less than two months (from 3300MW to 7000MW) without any capital infrastructural input. I guess we generated the extra power from thin air. APC is just desperate to find at least one campaign point.... but sorry this one cant fly. We are in total darkness even in rainy season

Again, Fools everywhere

The last reported peak power generation (Wednesday 13 September 2017) was 4142.5MW (courtesy of three)

http://www.pwh.gov.ng/management/manage/webpages/reg_upload/uploads_images/14900192759855.pdf

You have just shown your ignorance, don't you know the existing power generating plant s can give us more than
if we spend little money to supply gas and service it? This govt is working politics aside

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by repogirl(f): 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2017
So many liars on this thread sha...... 24 hours light indeed. Mtcheeeeeeeewwwwwww!
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by adanny01(m): 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2017
Gamesmart:

Through dams (hydro), thermal plants (steam) and Gas plants (gas).

To get 20,000MW requires investment, aka money.

Jonathan's era - they saw the money for investing in power as 'yam', a gorilla was in power and he allowed goats to eat yam.

Buhari's era - drop in oil prices meant recession. Goats had also emptied the reserves.

Nigeria is at 12,000MW installed capacity and generates between 4,000MW to 7,000MW.

So to be able to generate 20,000MW, lets say we would need at least 30,000MW installed capacity.

An increase of about 18,000MW from current installed capacity.

The cheapest cost of constructing 1MW comes to around $3m.

That means we would need $1m x 18,000MW investment in power infrastructure.

That is $18bn! Saraki, Ekweremandu, Melaye and co still has to chop money before we can find that. Jonathan don waste the money wey we get before.

See sense.

Alot of Nigerians no longer have common sense. I wonder how our National common sense is eroded.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by Rick9(m): 9:24pm On Sep 15, 2017
Gamesmart:

Through dams (hydro), thermal plants (steam) and Gas plants (gas).

To get 20,000MW requires investment, aka money.

Jonathan's era - they saw the money for investing in power as 'yam', a gorilla was in power and he allowed goats to eat yam.

Buhari's era - drop in oil prices meant recession. Goats had also emptied the reserves.

Nigeria is at 12,000MW installed capacity and generates between 4,000MW to 7,000MW.

So to be able to generate 20,000MW, lets say we would need at least 30,000MW installed capacity.

An increase of about 18,000MW from current installed capacity.

The cheapest cost of constructing 1MW comes to around $1m.

That means we would need $1m x 18,000MW investment in power infrastructure.

That is $18bn! Saraki, Ekweremandu, Melaye and co still has to chop money before we can find that. Jonathan don waste the money wey we get before.

Thank you so much.
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by MrSly(m): 9:43pm On Sep 15, 2017
veraponpo:
On September 12 this year (2017) Nigeria’s power production reached an all-time peak of 7,001 MW, indicating that Africa’s largest economy now has the capacity to produce more power than it can distribute. In May last year, Babatunde Fashola, minister of Power Works, and Housing, unveiled what he called an incremental power policy as a…

This content is for Standard & Premium Digital Subscribers only.

https://www.businessdayonline.com/power-generation-hits-time-high-7001mw/
Like ghost workers like ghost megawatts.
Thanks to God for gen and the money for fuel. NONSENSE BUHARI!
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by MrSly(m): 9:43pm On Sep 15, 2017
veraponpo:
On September 12 this year (2017) Nigeria’s power production reached an all-time peak of 7,001 MW, indicating that Africa’s largest economy now has the capacity to produce more power than it can distribute. In May last year, Babatunde Fashola, minister of Power Works, and Housing, unveiled what he called an incremental power policy as a…

This content is for Standard & Premium Digital Subscribers only.

https://www.businessdayonline.com/power-generation-hits-time-high-7001mw/
Like ghost workers like ghost megawatts.
Thanks to God for gen and the money for fuel. NONSENSE LIES, NONSENSE BUHARI!
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by MrSly(m): 9:46pm On Sep 15, 2017
veraponpo:

[s]
If you hear that power has dropped to 1000 MW, you will easily believe it but it is hard for you to believe a good news with positive impact on lives and properties.

You need deliverance ASAP[/s].
Pls quarantine this one. He is zombiism positive
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by obailala(m): 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

The lie is they cant generate 7000MW,
For you to say they generate 7000MW, it means7000MW is being fed into the power pool called grid and that 7000MW is being consumed or lets say 6000MW is being consumed by the discos assuming there is wild assumption of 1000MW loss.
Even at that disco cant absorb 6000MW.

The rule is your dont generate what is not being consumed hence the system will collapse due to over voltage or over frequency, but on the day that was quoted for the 7000MW , there was no system collapse, so where did the 7000MW go to .or was it stored on the grid.. Lol
You just need to go back to school since you dont have a clue what the word 'generation' means.

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by charlesucheh(m): 11:35pm On Sep 15, 2017
I was starting to get afraid of the light. Was like about phone don forget? No wonder they recently stopped rationing power.
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by Muzman143(m): 11:43pm On Sep 15, 2017
Wen china is alredi on terrawatt,,,,,rubbish
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by anyaekekehinde(m): 12:38am On Sep 16, 2017
obailala:
You just need to go back to school since you dont have a clue what the word 'generation' means.
Prof,Power generation is different from power generation capacity.

In load matching equation, Power Generated = Power demanded

Prof , once again you dont generate electricity and through it into the ocean. You generate electricity to meet a demand.

You can have 20MW generation capacity, but if the load to pick power is about 4MW, the power you generate will be around 4MW
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by anyaekekehinde(m): 12:45am On Sep 16, 2017
Gamesmart:

The MD of TCN said here that "the nation currently has stranded load generation of about 2,000MW".

https://guardian.ng/business-services/tcn-secures-2billion-to-expand-capacity-to-20000mw/

What does he mean by that?
Simple, the turbines can actually give more but can't give more because of Transmission limitation.

If your Turbine can generate 220MW but you are instructed to go on 100MW, because of Transmission Capacity limitation, your stranded generation capacity is 220- 100 = 120MW
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by purplekayc(m): 1:15am On Sep 16, 2017
Shame!!
As big as naija is?
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by obailala(m): 1:20am On Sep 16, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

Prof,Power generation is different from power generation capacity.

In load matching equation, Power Generated = Power demanded

Prof , once again you dont generate electricity and through it into the ocean. You generate electricity to meet a demand.

You can have 20MW generation capacity, but if the load to pick power is about 4MW, the power you generate will be around 4MW
I can generate 1000mw and not feed it to anything, it is called 'generation.'

Nigeria could be generating 7000mw but may just have the capacity to wheel out only 5000mw, or 6700mw (which is reported as the current transmission capacity). I'm not sure I understand why this should even be a topic of argument.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by anyaekekehinde(m): 1:38am On Sep 16, 2017
obailala:
I can generate 1000mw and not feed it to anything, it is called 'generation.'

Nigeria could be generating 7000mw but may just have the capacity to wheel out only 5000mw, or 6700mw (which is reported as the current transmission capacity). I'm not sure I understand why this should even be a topic of argument.

That is what you dont understand, you can't generate without not feeding it into anything.
In Power system engineering, before you generate, there is someone downstream to consume it.

When you say they generate 7000MW, it means the grid is drawing 7000MW from all generating stations.
If anything happens or the grid develops fault. All those generating station will go off or Trip immediately.

To even think you asked me to go to school over a topic you dont understand is sheer arrogance.
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by three: 9:16am On Sep 16, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

That is what you dont understand, you can't generate without not feeding it into anything.
In Power system engineering, before you generate, there is someone downstream to consume it.

When you say they generate 7000MW, it means the grid is drawing 7000MW from all generating stations.
If anything happens or the grid develops fault. All those generating station will go off or Trip immediately.

To even think you asked me to go to school over a topic you dont understand is sheer arrogance.

I just dey look dey giggle.

Over the last couple of pages misinformation has been wilfully and arrogantly spread. Misinformation debunked by the daily report shared on the first page. All answers are in that sheet. It is from the Ministry itself not me.

This is either wilful ignorance
Or wilful deceit

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by obailala(m): 9:24am On Sep 16, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

I may not be a power systems engineer, but I know I could turn-on my 10kw generator set and use it to power only a single 60watts light bulb. By doing that, I'd be generating 10kilowatts but consuming only 60watts, while the remaining power produced by my generator remains idle/stranded. Going by my

So going by your explanation, are you by any chance implying there has never been a time when the GENCOs were generating more power than the TRANSCO could wheel out?... Of course if that occurs, the normal thing to do is to cut the excess supply by shutting off some turbines, but you seem to be saying it is practically impossible for the generating companies to (at any time) produce more power than the grid can handle.

From what I read, the above scenario has been the recurring case in Nigeria's power sector for a while - the GENCOS generating a certain amount, but the TCN being able to wheel out only a fraction of what is generated while the extra power generated is left stranded and costing billions to the GENCOs.

How exactly do you explain these reports below?
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/4991mw-power-generated-nigeria-stranded-gencos/
http://sweetcrudereports.com/2017/08/17/2000mw-stranded-in-nigerias-power-generation/

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by amerlino(m): 11:15am On Sep 16, 2017
I wonder who dis guys are trying to deceive... So we dont know what is light again cos i havent seen light in my area for 4days now. its just gen everywhere.dis govt has no atom of truth in them always tryin to confuse themselves. The person that moved dis to front page is not sane at all
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by stev120(m): 11:52am On Sep 16, 2017
after raining season we go know waitin be 7001mw. ....
let the ly proceed for now. .
oya pass. .
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by XFrozen: 11:54am On Sep 16, 2017
No light ooooo... APC where did you generate that.... ? Oh OK you meant 7001mw darkness... As I'm typing no light lol...
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2017
Here in BTC (Benin City) it is still the usual 3hours daily (that is if there is light oo) & I was forced to abandon BEDC disco helded by one very greedy & wicked Funke woman that controls Edo, Delta, Ondo & Ekiti. I met a top staff who reveal all activities in that coy to me. She generates a whooping 3 billion naira plus from Edo alone & remit just 400million naira to FG. When I visited Ihorvor power plant in the state a friend there told me power has not shut for a minute in the last 5 months yet no electricity in Edo.

The evil woman buys small energy or load & distribute to areas she felt has more mugus or fools, then schedule them into 3hours on 15hours off & some are 6hours straight & 3hours off. Some individual /coys are connected to special lines & that line enjoys at least 21hours straight supply in designated locations & yet you think this country is for everyone?

At the end of the month she bills the 1-3 hours customers 5-10k. Many energy consumers have been turned into fools & you wonder if Edo people are not cowards & fools. I'm sure if BEDC headquarters was cited in Delta or southwest were she is from, her kingsmen would have diabolically nailed her or meet her waterloo in Delta state. Someone that opened her mouth to say the more they protest or mention her name on the radio or tv the more popular she becomes & nothing will happen.

Many times she wouldn't pick load so that she can deceptively use power without paying. This is just 10% of her greedy business on this posts. If I reveal all,many of you may run mad. I pity the people in that state suffering in the hands of that woman even if I not directly affected but what about my fellow men & family members. Nothing can be best imagined than living in Egalitarian State
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by obailala(m): 5:43pm On Sep 16, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

Are you you saying I cant power a generator without loading it fully?

What do you have to say about those links I posted earlier about the GENCOs complaining of stranded power?

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by anyaekekehinde(m): 8:41pm On Sep 16, 2017
obailala:

I may not be a power systems engineer, but I know I could turn-on my 10kw generator set and use it to power only a single 60watts light bulb. By doing that, I'd be generating 10kilowatts but consuming only 60watts, while the remaining power produced by my generator remains idle/stranded. Going by my

So going by your explanation, are you by any chance implying there has never been a time when the GENCOs were generating more power than the TRANSCO could wheel out?... Of course if that occurs, the normal thing to do is to cut the excess supply by shutting off some turbines, but you seem to be saying it is practically impossible for the generating companies to (at any time) produce more power than the grid can handle.

From what I read, the above scenario has been the recurring case in Nigeria's power sector for a while - the GENCOS generating a certain amount, but the TCN being able to wheel out only a fraction of what is generated while the extra power generated is left stranded and costing billions to the GENCOs.

How exactly do you explain these reports below?
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/4991mw-power-generated-nigeria-stranded-gencos/
http://sweetcrudereports.com/2017/08/17/2000mw-stranded-in-nigerias-power-generation/

You will struggle to understand the concept if you are not an Electrical Engineer.

Let me see if I can help you with that 10kW generator example, though that is reciprocating engine, turbine systems are more complex than that.

If you switch on that your Gen and your change over is off, you will discover that the current reading on your generator will be 0 Amps, Electrical Engineer call that case Running the Generator at No Load.

The moment you switch your change over to Gen and you switch on your 60W bulb, that current reading will change from 0 to maybe 0.5 or 1 Amp , at that point , Technically, you start generating electricity.

In simple terms, you have a 10kW "generation capacity", but you are only "generating" 60W of Electricity.

each of the unit in egbin where I trained a bit is 220MW, when you run those 220MW turbine, it doesn't mean you are " generating " 220MW but that you have a generation capacity of 220MW, so you can be running 220MW rated turbine and be generating 50MW, and when you need more power, you increase the gas consumption to the burner system, generate more steam from the boiler and admit more steam into the turbine.
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by gsainttrinity(m): 8:56pm On Sep 16, 2017
donblade85555:
we are having light 23 hours everyday since on Monday here in sapele, delta state oh.

Same thing here In Asaba.
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by moski5(m): 11:13am On Sep 17, 2017
Flets:
Fools everywhere.

Fools will agree that we doubled our highest production in less than two months (from 3300MW to 7000MW) without any capital infrastructural input. I guess we generated the extra power from thin air. APC is just desperate to find at least one campaign point.... but sorry this one cant fly. We are in total darkness even in rainy season

Again, Fools everywhere

The last reported peak power generation (Wednesday 13 September 2017) was 4142.5MW (courtesy of three)

http://www.pwh.gov.ng/management/manage/webpages/reg_upload/uploads_images/14900192759855.pdf

do put up a new link
Re: Power Generation Hits All Time High Of 7001 MW by Gamesmart: 11:55am On Sep 19, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

Simple, the turbines can actually give more but can't give more because of Transmission limitation.

If your Turbine can generate 220MW but you are instructed to go on 100MW, because of Transmission Capacity limitation, your stranded generation capacity is 220- 100 = 120MW

Bruv, the same thing is being said here:

https://www.nairaland.com/4063363/electricity-2000-mega-watts-generated-not

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FFK Accuses Reno Omokri Of Treason / Saraki Shifty When Asked About Slashing NASS Budget / Fire Guts TCN Substation, Throws Oyo, Ogun, Osun Into Blackout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.