Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,170 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again (6458 Views)

What Is Really Wrong With Intercontinental Bank? / UBA Bank Downsizes / Zenith Bank Downsizes - 600+ Employees Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by CHAIRMAN1(m): 12:16pm On Mar 02, 2010
Barely two months after it laid off about 1400 members of staff, Intercontinental Bank Plc, one of the rescued banks, has again laid off another 1200, bringing the total number of sacked staff to almost 3000 in three months.

The bank, according to a statement issued yesterday, said the downsizing of its Support Staff cadre by 1182 is part of its repositioning exercise.

“Intercontinental Bank has announced the down-sizing of the Support Staff cadre by 1182 as part of the repositioning exercise in the Bank. The disengagement exercise, which took place yesterday, marks the conclusion of the right-sizing exercise embarked upon by the Bank last December,” the bank statement said.

The bank also said the exercise was carried out after due consultation with the National Union of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE), and the local chapter of NUBIFIE, where the terms of disengagement were agreed upon.

The bank claims that the exercise was done based on clearly-defined criteria agreed by the Union and the bank, which will see the affected staff leaving with an enhanced severance package approved by the Board of Directors of the bank and in line with the collective agreement with NUBIFIE.

“Each of the affected staff will have access to three months free Medicare under the existing Health Insurance Scheme (HIS),” the statement said.

In December 2009, the bank eased out about 1339 members of its staff as part of its restructuring exercise.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5534319-146/intercontinental_bank_downsizes_again__.csp

Are we still safe?
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Yoighaman(m): 2:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
You already know the answer
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by sizzlers(m): 2:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
Signs of endtime
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by eyoniggar(m): 3:11pm On Mar 02, 2010
This is when you see " operation straff me sir to save my job" from the ladies.

Some oga go straff tire at this point in time.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by toosoon(m): 3:14pm On Mar 02, 2010
“Each of the affected staff will have access to three months free Medicare under the existing Health Insurance Scheme (HIS),”

why not six months wink
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by elderbros(m): 3:16pm On Mar 02, 2010
sorry to say but the workers are idiots, I once had an account with them:very sad experience
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by ohisng(m): 3:18pm On Mar 02, 2010
Why am i not feeling sad for these bankers?
Wish the banks sacked all these professional hustlers and employ REAL bankers
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 02, 2010
The Intercontinental bank sucks especially.

They are not good at all.

Have you ever heard GTB misbehaving like this?. NO.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Bukittes(f): 3:29pm On Mar 02, 2010
Na wah o! So what going to be left when they are thru with all these downsizing and right sizing? Kai I pray for all those affected that the good Lord will provide for them and console them. This is like just increasing the labour market which is already saturated. Somebody, please what is happening in this country now? Haba! Lord Mercy OOOOO!!!
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Kx: 3:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
They hinged the right sizing on need for enhanced efficiency and profitability.

Does that mean,NEPA-PHCN,NTA,NNPC,all the federal ministries etc have been profitable
and efficient all these years
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by intom: 3:39pm On Mar 02, 2010
What really going with bank ?
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Redman44(m): 3:41pm On Mar 02, 2010
This is really Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad sad sad sad It just goes to show that no condition is permanent in life. I feel it is high time for those who are still in the university system to start thinking of becoming entrepreneurs when they graduate. Youths should also learn to acquire skills that will be useful to them later in life. These are skills they can make money with e.g, Computer Graphic skills, painting, Adire making, Animal Husbandry [ Breeding Rabbits, Cockrels and Layers, Pigs, Turkeys, Fish etc ], driving skills etc etc. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Yoighaman(m): 3:42pm On Mar 02, 2010
Bank owners are businessmen that need to maximize returns; please always be mindful of that.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by lbotus(f): 3:43pm On Mar 02, 2010
hmm, i never liked the bank.
my sister had an experience with them last month.The cashier ( lady) over paid my sister, about 50k excess.My sister, got home only to realise she was over paid.she rushed back to the bank and returned the cash.the cashier counted it, and paid wat she had requested.My sis didn't count the cash rite away cos she tot the cashier wudn't make such a mistake again. she was about leaving the  banking hall, she decided to count the cash, again she was paid 5k excess,she went to the casheir gave her the money ,only for the cashier to ask her if she hasn't spent/taken from the money.My sis got furious and gave her a dirty slap.The Branch manager had to intervene. undecided
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by OvieE: 3:48pm On Mar 02, 2010
Let's the madness continue.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by henry4uall(m): 3:50pm On Mar 02, 2010
Kx:

They hinged the right sizing on need for enhanced efficiency and profitability.

Does that mean,NEPA-PHCN,NTA,NNPC,all the federal ministries etc have been profitable
and efficient all these years

Somebody must be a maalu to reason the way you reason now (I no say you be maalu o). How could anyone compare NEPA-PHCN, NTA, NNPC with banks. Your comparison is out of place.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by dammizz(m): 3:52pm On Mar 02, 2010
sad sad We should expect increase in crime rate   cry cry
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by mufasa(m): 3:56pm On Mar 02, 2010
lbotus:

my sister had an experience with them last month.The cashier ( lady) over paid my sister, about 50k excess.My sister, got home only to realise she was over paid.she rushed back to the bank and returned the cash.the cashier counted it, and paid wat she had requested.My sis didn't count the cash rite away cos she tot the cashier wudn't make such a mistake again. she was about leaving the  banking hall, she decided to count the cash, again she was paid 5k excess,she went to the casheir gave her the money ,only for the cashier to ask her if she hasn't spent/taken from the money.My sis got furious and gave her a dirty slap.The Branch manager had to intervene. undecided

lol
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by deor03(m): 4:00pm On Mar 02, 2010
lbotus:

@Ibotus
You sister is a tout angry.  Why will a civilized person assault the banker? No matter what she said,
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by snowdrops(m): 4:01pm On Mar 02, 2010
lbotus:

my sister had an experience with them last month.The cashier ( lady) over paid my sister, about 50k excess.My sister, got home only to realise she was over paid.she rushed back to the bank and returned the cash.the cashier counted it, and paid wat she had requested.My sis didn't count the cash rite away cos she tot the cashier wudn't make such a mistake again. she was about leaving the banking hall, she decided to count the cash, again she was paid 5k excess,she went to the casheir gave her the money ,only for the cashier to ask her if she hasn't spent/taken from the money[b].My sis got furious and gave her a dirty slap.[/b]The Branch manager had to intervene. undecided

These are issues.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by ochukoccna: 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2010
sizzlers:

Signs of endtime
Nope! End product of Hurricane Sanusi! grin undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Wrex(m): 4:09pm On Mar 02, 2010
I am really sad all this is happening, hmmmmm, i am short of words
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by sayso: 4:15pm On Mar 02, 2010
we cannot name hurricane to sanusi name,that will immortalize him.The guy is a fucking malam
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by abbeynism(m): 4:18pm On Mar 02, 2010
It is sadden that a bank is sacking up to that number of staff.

Well, let all of us put ourselves in their shoe. How would you feel getting sacked from a job.

I pray that God will uphold them.

as life continues.

Naija Palava,
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Ultrame(m): 4:24pm On Mar 02, 2010
sayso:

we cannot name hurricane to sanusi name,that will immortalize him.The guy is a bleeping malam
^^^^
And what's wrong with immortalizing a mallam?
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by blackmann(m): 4:25pm On Mar 02, 2010
lbotus:

The cashier deserved the slap. After making the same mistake twice, she still had the guts to ask such an insulting question. what happened afterwards?
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by MrCrackles(m): 4:25pm On Mar 02, 2010
sizzlers:

Signs of endtime
How is it a sign of end time
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Achiles: 4:27pm On Mar 02, 2010
Reading this holy shit gives me jilters as a banker. this days, i don't live like one anymore! i have started livn like an old teacher! poor sanusi, ur huricane is devastating! what a mess to be a banker now a days.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by alakee: 4:34pm On Mar 02, 2010
my sister had an experience with them last month.The cashier ( lady) over paid my sister, about 50k excess.My sister, got home only to realise she was over paid.she rushed back to the bank and returned the cash.the cashier counted it, and paid wat she had requested.My sis didn't count the cash rite away cos she tot the cashier wudn't make such a mistake again. she was about leaving the  banking hall, she decided to count the cash, again she was paid 5k excess,she went to the casheir gave her the money ,only for the cashier to ask her if she hasn't spent/taken from the money.My sis got furious and gave her a dirty slap.The Branch manager had to intervene.

am a banker too and i'll appreciate sm1 who has helped me not to pay shortages rather than insult her by making that kind of statement.so the banker got what she deserves
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by violent(m): 4:41pm On Mar 02, 2010
It wouldn't be too long before some Idiót comes around to blame Sanusi!

If the bank was as solvent as it claimed to be in the first place, would it be laying off workers as it is currently doing, is GTB or Access doing the same?

My sympathies to those who are about to loose their job. . . and boooom!, crime rates just went up by another 10 percent!
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by lbotus(f): 4:48pm On Mar 02, 2010
@Doer03,
And u are more civilised  undecided

@Blackmann & Alakee

She accepted the apologises of the branch manager and some staff who witnessed it.The lady(cashier) cudn't even say thank you after making the second mistake, that made her furious.I don't think she uses that bank again.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by rickie4us(m): 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
well, God will deliver us ,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows AC NIELSEN COMPANY? They Owe Us 5 Month Salary / Why You Should Set Career Goals / Ican Center Amuwo Odofin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.