Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,946 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again (6461 Views)

What Is Really Wrong With Intercontinental Bank? / UBA Bank Downsizes / Zenith Bank Downsizes - 600+ Employees Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by hackney(m): 8:19pm On Mar 03, 2010
@matrixme
No banks that i know out here charge you for withdrawals.
Current accounts actually accrue interests here (though very little ; about 0.02%    grin)
but at least that way you are sure they are not taking anything.

Moreover banks should be working hard to invest wisely with customer deposits and not charge them for donating
investment funds to them (if you think about it)

The terrible thing with job losses in naija is that there isnt any help available at all from the govt.
The laid-off workers will have to 'magically' cater for their families in far away expensive , cut-throat cities.

My heart goes out to them sha.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by ExInferis(m): 2:18am On Mar 04, 2010
why do people who work in banks refer to themselves as "bankers"? you are NOT bankers. the people who own the banks are the bankers, the people who run the banks, sign your paychecks, tell you to jump and tell you how high to go about it. these are the bankers, the very same pr1cks and arses you suck and kiss for loans, recognition and advancement. these are bankers.

you, you are just EMPLOYEES, drones, footsoldiers, hired muscles, cannon fodder, the hoi polloi, the milling background props. you do not matter in the grand scheme of things.

that's why the very same greedy banksters who ruined the system get to sack you.

because drones are expendable.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by ravenzord(m): 2:25am On Mar 04, 2010
^^^ Damn, that's cold.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by ExInferis(m): 2:42am On Mar 04, 2010
but, mortifyingly, true.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by dkings101(m): 6:29am On Mar 04, 2010
And you say make dem no do Yahoo Abi? Na where dem wan see Job wen country hard? How long they have to walk around Lagos until dem shoe don chop finish? Most of them might end up with stroke, poverty, children ending up as prostitute or runs girls just to make end means.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Gidgift: 7:24am On Mar 04, 2010
Which way Nigeria When I thought the rain of unemployment was over
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by esonic: 9:14am On Mar 04, 2010
When will pple learn dat enterpreneurship is the pathway to freedom, instead of these bank workers to feel sorry for themselves, they should be happy cos now they've got no choice now but to dig out ideas and become wealthy, lets use ball sense,
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Ultrame(m): 9:59am On Mar 04, 2010
May God help us all. These are really hard times.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 04, 2010
Ex Inferis:

why do people who work in banks refer to themselves as "bankers"? you are NOT bankers. the people who own the banks are the bankers, the people who run the banks, sign your paychecks, tell you to jump and tell you how high to go about it. these are the bankers, the very same pr1cks and arses you suck and kiss for loans, recognition and advancement. these are bankers.

you, you are just EMPLOYEES, drones, footsoldiers, hired muscles, cannon fodder, the hoi polloi, the milling background props. you do not matter in the grand scheme of things.

that's why the very same greedy banksters who ruined the system get to sack you.

because drones are expendable.

To be sure, the Nigerian banking sector debacle we've witnessed thus far falls nothing short of bizarre but posts like yours are just down right disgusting and are a crude affront to the senses of anyone who prides himself on the dignity of his labor. I worked at intercontinental bank for 18 months, and my relationship with the bank as an employee was severed during their previous downsizing exercise back in december. Was I bitter? oh sure . But heck, thats the price u pay for capitalism anyway. Right sizing , down sizing etc are all common restructuring tools from corporate playbooks the world over.

The Nigerian banking sector isn't perfect!. The global financial meltdown proves that no financial system in the world is anyway. Like the rest of everything else in Nigeria, our banking system is a tentative march in progess, laced with those awkward few missteps that are bound to occcur once in a while. Soludo, the former head huncho of the apex bank despite his best intentions failed woefully in supervising the system ,hence the flounder. Sanusi with his own snazzy approach is trying to regalvanise the system, I pray and hope for the best outcome!

, it's so easy to carp and whine like a sourpuss and at that spilling rile-full remarks about being an employee. Trully disheartening!
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by MsTom(f): 2:25pm On Mar 04, 2010
Again!
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Kx: 2:43pm On Mar 04, 2010
Information have it that the 1200 staf severed were support staff ie drivers etc.
Another list for core bank staff is being compiled and will be make public
sometime in April.

2bad.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Mikexcel: 4:22pm On Mar 04, 2010
@ Ibotu. Note that this is an individual and shouldn't be a hasty generalization. In your word, the BM and other staff aplogized, which means it is not the bank's culture rather an individual which could have happened at any other banks or even service centre. We have an issue of disengagement of staff, so your presentation totally differs from issue at hand; toherwise you are justifying the laying off of some staff due to bad servcie.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Eaglebabe: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2010
God have mercy.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by maxdi(m): 7:09am On Mar 05, 2010
i smell politics guys.

there are plots to sell those banks to investors (foreign to later turn to northerners)
why not all these before the blackmail and knock down of those 5 banks.

have those fired ever got any appointment from the FGN?

all these is to divert all their customers to first bank.

we shall see what will soon become of sanusi

were we not here during that of: tafa balogun, ribadu etc.

lets call spade a spade and not just an ordinary farm tool
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by maxdi(m): 7:46am On Mar 05, 2010
I smell Politics

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/10/5-banks-use-only-n100bn-of-cbns-n420bn/

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/21302/1/Haba-Sanusi-Lamido-Sanusi/Page1.html

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/33078/1/Court-refuses-Akingbolas-request-to-stop-EFCC-over-seized-assets/Page1.html

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/18303/1/Ibrus-family-urges-Sanusi-to-reverse-self-on-Oceanic-Bank/Page1.html

http://www.newswatchngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=32

Fellow nairalanders, i personally see all these as plot to perpetrate one political issue.

let's wait and see what happens in the next few months.

But when will all these injustice ceased in this country.

If those directors were not fired, would those staff have lost their job?; were they not being managed and paid for the past few years without any problem?; What ha Sanusi done about the exchange rate.

I dont know or family any of this people but I am a nigerian and i seemed to be concerned. We shall all see what happen as all these shall be brought to lime light soonest
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 05, 2010
Banks, done did It again,, I sympathize for the families of those affected, mine was affected too, but my Dad is a stone cold banker, I cant but admit that its all he had wanted to be,, since the days of Owena Bank, but it never paid off,. I learnt that a long time ago.

Nigerian banks have always been unstable, and some of them frauds, they are bad to deal with or work with. I hate bankers cos I wish they knew better, what kind of job is that, you get robbed off your days,, you work consistently under pressure, with no job security and at the expenses of loans, and for an IT minded person,, your career dies off, since there's nothing challenging in the work environment apart from the norm, same routine day in day out.

The amazing thing is the way things are handled especially when it comes to laying off staffs, after they've manufactured their reasons, downsizing and other bull shait they call it, they leave the real deal and take their swing on the class of employees that are barely managing to make earns meet.

They wanted to downsize, and they are not practical or transparent about it, cut off a bit of what these damn board of directors earn and see if it was necessary to lay off so much.

I cant say more, scrap these banks, I have better places to put my money, I have an account though, but for utilities only, I know the mentality that drives most job seekers to banks for work, but, I am sorry for them, and I am sorry for those good looking ladies caught up in banking world already, too, situations like this only affirms my reasons on why I cant marry a banker for a wife,

but there's only one bank worth working in and thats CBN, and thats the only place I know bankers exist.
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by picazy: 2:58pm On Mar 05, 2010
hmm, i never liked the bank.
my sister had an experience with them last month.The cashier ( lady) over paid my sister, about 50k excess.My sister, got home only to realise she was over paid.she rushed back to the bank and returned the cash.the cashier counted it, and paid wat she had requested.My sis didn't count the cash rite away cos she tot the cashier wudn't make such a mistake again. she was about leaving the  banking hall, she decided to count the cash, again she was paid 5k excess,she went to the casheir gave her the money ,only for the cashier to ask her if she hasn't spent/taken from the money.My sis got furious and gave her a dirty slap.The Branch manager had to intervene. ]

I see  grin, by the what branch of the bank is this that they are so careless with customers money. Don't peddle rumour I beg u if this is true produce the name of the branch. angry
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by kukute: 4:26pm On Mar 05, 2010
Entrepreneurship is Chikena!. Some of those laid off may have spent upwards of 5years in the bank. Imagine if they had spent all that time building their own business. They could probably have gone quite far. For those of you that requested for the contact details of FACA, here is it:

Fashion Art and Creatives Acadeemy, 6 Sabiu Ajose Street, Off Adeniran Ogunsanya, Behind SkyeBank, Surulere, Lagos. 08023290830,018783390, henriwears@yahoo.com, www.henriwears.com
Re: Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again by lokwe(m): 6:02pm On Mar 07, 2010
one should simply go for a change of name to either Al-hamin, Jamilu, Funtua, Gambari, Mahmud, Barkindo , Lamido, maybe, just maybe you might get a slot at NNPC or SEC or even Presidency.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? / Why You Should Set Career Goals / Who Knows AC NIELSEN COMPANY? They Owe Us 5 Month Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.