Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (49526 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Fembleez1(m): 4:53pm On Sep 22, 2017
PaperLace:
When my inlaws came to collect traditional marriage list, after we gave them our list _they gave us theirs. They said their son is not cheap. My dad shock grin!

We thought it was small something.
As we opened it, it was actually neatly typed and sealed.
Naso we see 1big male goat, 1 big bowl of fufu, kegs of palmwine. They kept on emphasising on the BIG.

If my mum does not give out my own list for wedding, i no dey marry. No be money they spend for my head

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by elopee3000(m): 4:53pm On Sep 22, 2017
I can't stand amala and ewedu mixed with gbegiri that's ugliest food in the world

24 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Icon79(m): 4:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
The number of folks who feast on pythons in this forum. I am still in shock!!

O pari

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Chommieblaq(f): 4:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
They don't serve food in Ghanaian weddings.

Every Nigerian knows how weddings are done in Nigeria with all the owambe and everything. Our west African neighbours are totally different. The first Ghanaian wedding to was a very big shock to me. The venue was like 3 hours from school so I went hungry. I thought it's like Nigerian weddings where during the reception you can eat till your hearts content.

Well after all the church buohaha. We were just served 2 buns one coke and one tiny chicken. I thought that was an appetiser and the main course is coming. Only for people to start going and I was told that was the end of it. I was shocked to the bone. After that before I go to any Ghanaian wedding I make sure to stuff up my tummy.

That country is very weird.

grin gringrin
Wedding without jolof rice, is that one a wedding?

47 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by dsocioemmy(m): 4:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
Culture shock
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by alukstea(m): 4:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
@Op it should be heard oooh.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Elfaris(m): 4:57pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Every Nigerian knows how weddings are done in Nigeria with all the owambe and everything. Our west African neighbours are totally different. The first Ghanaian wedding to was a very big shock to me. The venue was like 3 hours from school so I went hungry. I thought it's like Nigerian weddings where during the reception you can eat till your hearts content.

Well after all the church buohaha. We were just served 2 buns one coke and one tiny chicken. I thought that was an appetiser and the main course is coming. Only for people to start going and I was told that was the end of it. I was shocked to the bone. After that before I go to any Ghanaian wedding I make sure to stuff up my tummy.

Hahahaha damn! must have been a huge shok. khikhikhi nawa o. #NaijaForLife

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Chommieblaq(f): 4:58pm On Sep 22, 2017
Angelsss:
The Durbar display in the North...

Durbar display is actually not shocking, I look forward to it sef.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by highchief3(m): 4:59pm On Sep 22, 2017
Mine was Amala, served in the west, first time I saw someone eating Amala, I actually throw up.

As corpers we were always invited to parties but I kept on refusing to eat Amala until one yoruba babe took it upon herself to initiate me to Amala,

I took the challenge and tasted Amala Oooooboy..... It was heavenly it was so smooth and goes down easily I never expected to be that good.

115 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Macmoni(m): 5:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
Democrat1c:
The eating of Amala and Ewedu by Yoruba. That creepy food irritates my marrows. The soup sometime appears like the sh*ts of Jedi Jedi patients.
ipod..fufu smells more dan rotten egg

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:01pm On Sep 22, 2017
Chommieblaq:

grin gringrin
Wedding without jolof rice, is that one a wedding?
Ask the Ghanaians o and they claim to have the best jollof rice on the continent cheesy cheesy. That country aside light and the relative security, there's literally nothing there. The people there are very boring and the women omg. Very very boring and very dull. Lemme close my mouth before they come for me cheesy

23 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by cassyrooy(m): 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2017
What shocks me most especially here in Nigeria is the food, I have a lot of Yoruba friends, I school in the West but I've not been able to taste their soup with little or no oil, the leaf types etc. Even at the cafeteria in school, I manage to eat their beans(with stew). I don't hate it but I've not tried it.

The North where I was born and raised, I still find their fertility rate very unacceptable, and some aspects of their food.

Although this don't shock me anymore.

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

I no understand oo...could it be that it's just that particular wedding?

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Chommieblaq(f): 5:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Ask the Ghanaians o and they claim to have the best jollof rice on the continent cheesy cheesy. That country aside light and the relative security, there's literally nothing there. The people there are very boring and the woman omg. Lemme close my mouth before they come for me cheesy

grin grin grin
No mind them jare
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
Afam4eva:

I went to more than 20 weddings there and they were all like that. Even my Ghanaian friends see it as normal. Only the extremely elite bloody rich people cook in their weddings. Normal people just use pastries.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Afam4eva(m): 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
highchief3:
Mine was Amala, served in the west, first time I saw someone eating Amala, I actually throw up.

As corpers we were always invited to parties but I kept on refusing to eat Amala until one yoruba babe took it upon herself to initiate me to Amala,

I took the challenge and tasted Amala Oooooboy..... It was heavenly it was so smooth and goes down easily I never expected to be that good.
The last time i ate amala was about 15 years ago and it was also the first time. I have to be able to summon courage to eat certain foods because mere looking at them, i just give up. It's funny that a lot of people including my siblings can kill to eat Amala.

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by HMZi: 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
that men in certain cultures/religions wait until adulthood before they get *circumsized* #owch

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Afam4eva(m): 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

I went to more than 20 weddings there and they were all like that. Even my Ghanaian friends see it as normal. Only the extremely elite bloody rich people cook in their weddings. Normal people just use pastries.
Na waoo

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Ermacc: 5:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
Democrat1c:
The eating of Amala and Ewedu by Yoruba. That creepy food irritates my marrows. The soup sometime appears like the sh*ts of Jedi Jedi patients.
I can relate. Grossly disgusting.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nbote(m): 5:09pm On Sep 22, 2017
Went with my dad on a medical trip to India, Pune specifically a couple of years back.. Almost everyone had a form of paint on their forehead. Made a couple of friends there and found out they had different gods and u decide who to pray to. Everyone had a mini shrine/temple and den there's a major temple on almost every street... Oh and their love for spices is crazy.. And I feel in love with the variety of fruits dey had.. I became a regular visitor to their fruits market. Dey has close to 4 varieties of apples, had Okra d sizes of cucumber and some of d fruits dey has were a whole lot different from what we have here..

31 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Chukazu: 5:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Democrat1c:

common!
don't be closed minded, douse your curiosity and try eating it ,you gonna enjoy.

the way I reason it is...if that is the only food available in the world and you are dying of hunger am sure you would gladly eat and thank God! ...if you travel to a country where there is no Nigerian food, sure you would make do with whatever food you are offered

its actually healthy, regardless the appearance.

that is the beauty in our diversity cool

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by kingui(m): 5:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
FemiEddy:
The day I saw how they process Kulikuli in the north...........I am still shocked shocked
Brother please why are you shock because I like eating that thing but have only seen it being done in NTA Am express

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by 1Sharon(f): 5:14pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Chai! Ghana

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by pafek(m): 5:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
can't say I have seen something too weird abt a culture-food or live. because secondary school has tot me how live any where liveable and eat most things eatable, so much as it isn't human or human faeces.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Boyooosa(m): 5:18pm On Sep 22, 2017
Father, test running his daughter before finally giving her out

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by FemiEddy(m): 5:18pm On Sep 22, 2017
kingui:

Brother please why are you shock because I like eating that thing but have only seen it being done in NTA Am express
my brother

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Ijaya123: 5:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
Democrat1c:

Plenty of Igbos queue everyday to buy and consume amala and ewedu in Lagos here. They must be Jedi Jedi patients then.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by farellstone: 5:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
Chommieblaq:

Durbar display is actually not shocking, I look forward to it sef.
imagine, someone wrote what was a culture shock to her, and you are saying it is not shocking (sic). Are you her?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Mobsync(m): 5:21pm On Sep 22, 2017
I also served in a village in the north (they are neither Hausas nor Fulanis) and I saw several things that shocked me.

1. Women drink more than the men.
2. The children, some as young as 7, attend night parties like crazy.
3. Female children suddenly reappearing and appearing. (they often travel to their boyfriend's place).
4. SS 3 students that cannot spell their names. Many can't even speak English, only Hausa and their local dialect.
5. Young children getting married. A 14/15 year old Hausa girl in JSS 1 got married. Also, another girl in the community got married and pregnant. She was as young as 12.
6. Any man that impregnates a woman automatically marries the woman.

There're a lot but these are few. I was so shocked to the extent that everything stopped surprising me.

Lastly, the children got pregnant anyhow.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by gnykelly(m): 5:22pm On Sep 22, 2017
THE IBO HEREDITARY SYSTEM

what is the worth of a woman : in ibo tradition, an unmarried woman has no right in her fathers property. not even a say.

even when married and she never give birth to a male child she will not be allowed to inherit her husband property.

the female gender is seen as an object of satisfaction and if she doesn't meet up she is thrown out with contempt.

at their marriage the female gender is seen as a commodity that need to be sold her value tally with the things that the family had spent on her. if she had a degree education her bride price is of higher value. than those without education.

in the Ibo culture when a man cheat it is easily overlooked. but the case of a woman will invoke the curse of god and eternal damnation.

I see this things first hand during my service in the eastern part of the country.

I am of the feeling that the Ibo tribe need reorientation on civil ways of taking care of the child and not to see her as just an object because it is affecting the self-steem of an average ibo lady.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by kachiz(m): 5:23pm On Sep 22, 2017
I served in Effurun, Warri in Delta state.

Growing up, people that mostly suck something from nylon are either children (those in nursery and primary school).

One day I went to my school staff room to collect a textbook from one of the subject head teachers only to see her sucking beans from nylon/waterproof in the staff room and all the teachers didn't look at her differently.

I shock no be small shocked shocked, it was more like disgusting to be precise but I comport myself last last. undecided

I later noticed most of the teachers do that.

Talk of culture shock

**Disclaimer: I am not implying that all Warri and Delta people suck their food from nylon before you people start coming my head.

25 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by kingui(m): 5:25pm On Sep 22, 2017
Afam4eva:

No my uncle married a lady from there and that was also my parents beggest shock that year, this one was not that both parties did not have money.
I heard that when they came back to the village that year my aunty made sure the G.woman attended every traditional marriage within the time frame and she was also as shocked as we were when we went to her place.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.