Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (49523 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Rakiticbarca: 6:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
Benue state, Tiv land they celebrate burial more than any other thing, imagine fixing a burial date for a child that was just a week old.
You see guys scouting for burial venue just to go and eat and merry.

Sex is not also left out as it's not seen as anything, incest is not an issue.

Nudity? That one is nothing.

grin

14 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by mmsen: 6:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
Chukazu:

but there's is normal for a wedding, it is Nigerian system of food and drink partying that is abnormal

No, in other parts of the world they also serve food but they also have set seating and guests lists - not one person bringing 4 or 5 uninvited guests. Even in Ghana they've served food at the weddings that I've been to but I can imagine that as you go down the socio-economic scale that becomes unfeasible.

I think it's a question of economics. Food in Nigeria is very cheap, especially compared to Ghana where everything (including local produce) is vastly overpriced.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by achimotan(m): 6:01pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
They don't serve food in Ghanaian weddings.

[s]Every Nigerian knows how weddings are done in Nigeria with all the owambe and everything. Our west African neighbours are totally different. The first Ghanaian wedding i went to was a very big shock to me. The venue was like 3 hours from school so I went hungry. I thought it's like Nigerian weddings where during the reception you can eat till your hearts content.

Well after all the church buohaha. We were just served 2 buns one coke and one tiny chicken. I thought that was an appetiser and the main course is coming. Only for people to start going and I was told that was the end of it. I was shocked to the bone. After that before I go to any Ghanaian wedding I make sure to stuff up my tummy.

That country is very weird.
[/s]

Your categorical assertion is absurd to say the least. I have been to wedding receptions where there were buffet with people being served with different types of food.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by phenzy(m): 6:01pm On Sep 22, 2017
Moluwah:
Egbiras eating frog
How many of them have you seen eating frogs?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:01pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Yea your education was wasted. That'll be all for today, have a nice day.
I can feel the pain men. It's not easy being a patriot grin grin grin.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Amarabae(f): 6:03pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

azin i weak o as yoruba it's normal thing, all my aunt's got a share of my grandparents properties. but them first they sell the daughters and disavow them

the case go worse if her husband dies, shave head, Drink the water used in washing the corpse et al
why these pathetic obsession with igbos all the time,
should i call it inferiority complex?
if you are really a graduate,you need to return ur certificate back to the school,
gosh nollywood is real life to you,
where in Igboland do the do that?
If a widow want to barb her hair to honour the late husband,its her choice,
drinking of which corpse water? What kind of dumb lie is this?
Shame!
Bigotry is a disease,go cure yourself

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Rakiticbarca: 6:03pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
100% true. What is most celebrated in Ghana is burial/funerals. I went for a wedding and I was given snacks, but if it's burial now they'll cook and make merry like it's a wonderful thing. The thing weak me honestly.

Tensazangetsu20 is right.
Are you sure the Tivs of Benue origin are not from Ghana? They celebrate burial and funeral more than any other thing.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Khutie: 6:04pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
100% true. What is most celebrated in Ghana is burial/funerals. I went for a wedding and I was given snacks, but if it's burial now they'll cook and make merry like it's a wonderful thing. The thing weak me honestly.

Tensazangetsu20 is right.

•••Buh somehow Ghana is fun right?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
Khutie:

Ghana isn't fun at all. It's a very boring country. Very very very boring. There's nothing exciting to do or see.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
If I'm not like that towards my mother's land, is it your father's land I should be passionate about?
Lool we should send a Yoruba demon your way, to break your heart so you can be nicer, I don't think we differ a lot tho, Nigeria is Ghana's big brother, don't you think

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Boyooosa(m): 6:09pm On Sep 22, 2017
jericco1:
Mehn it Bulgaria o, where you nod ur head up & down to emphasize 'no' and shake ur head sideways for 'yes'
Una no go key pesin here. If dem com dey interrogate a deaf Nigerian thief nko shocked

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
Amarabae:
if you are really a graduate,you need to return ur certificate back to the school,
Shame!

i came here to read right thinking people's experience but what did i see? your irresponsible kinsmen talking shit about yorubas and their food. but you like a complete slowpoke that lacks mental effectiveness decide to pick on my own comment? why don't you talk same to your kinfools. leprosy fall on that your hand you use type that. eleribu somebody

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

azin i weak o as yoruba it's normal thing, all my aunt's got a share of my grandparents properties. but them first they sell the daughters and disavow them

the case go worse if her husband dies, shave head, Drink the water used in washing the corpse et al
what is your business with Ndigbo, we don't give a rat shit about lowlives like you, kindly mind your business and focus on your geopolitical zone, scum of the Earth

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Crixina(f): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
PaperLace:
When my inlaws came to collect traditional marriage list, after we gave them our list _they gave us theirs. They said their son is not cheap. My dad shock grin!

We thought it was small something.
As we opened it, it was actually neatly typed and sealed.
Naso we see 1big male goat, 1 big bowl of fufu, kegs of palmwine. They kept on emphasising on the BIG.
wetin una do now?
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Amarabae(f): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
python dancing somewhere in south east Nigeria

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
love this, the abokis that sell this are blessed. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
Piiko:
Lool we should send a Yoruba demon your way, to break your heart so you can be nicer, I don't think we differ a lot tho, Nigeria is Ghana's big brother, don't you think
Trust me, it won't work. grin

I think, but obviously your folks don't. undecided
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Khutie:

Very fun. kiss
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 6:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Rakiticbarca:
Are you sure the Tivs of Benue origin are not from Ghana? They celebrate burial and funeral more than any other thing.
Lol I'm not sure about that information. grin
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Amarabae(f): 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

i came here to read right thinking people's experience but what did i see? your irresponsible kinsmen talking shit about yorubas and their food. but you like a complete slowpoke that lacks mental effectiveness decide to pick on my own comment? why don't you talk same to your kinfools. leprosy fall on that your have you use type that. eleribu somebody
why not face them instead of forging a lie?
We are IGBOS and proud,get that into your head!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Investnow2017: 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2017
A Modern Culture

On culture shock and Ghana. Some few years ago i visited Ghana during my vacation. Being my first visit i asked my hotel to arrange a cab to take me round Accra. I got talking with the taxicab driver. The news of oil being newly discovered in Ghana was in the air then and it was already affecting their economy as fuel prices were already rising.

At one point, the guy took me to their GRA and was pointing to where the government officials live. And then he added "you see corruption has become a big problem now in Ghana especially among govt officials. He said can you imagine that some ministers now have up to 2 cars, some even V8 and now fill their fuel tanks to the brim. The corruption is too much now." He bitterly complained. I was like is this one corruption? Although i was nodding my head in agreement, but in my mind i was saying 'is this guy joking or what?' Is this corruption? Come to Nigeria grin grin cheesy Here in Nigeria you can even capture corruption with your camera grin grin grin
One V8 jeep, you say corruption. What will you say when your airport lacks enough space to pack fleets of private jets cheesy cheesy grin

On a lighter note i was really shocked. I cant forget the experience. Like someone had mentioned earlier, Nigeria is a great nation compared to its neighbouring countries.

When i left Ghana and flew to Liberia, the cab that took me from the airport likely has never travelled outside Liberia before. On getting to Monrovia, unknown to me that we were already in Monrovia he said this is the road to our vice-president house. I saw a bungalow with broken bottles strewn on top of the fence. I asked where their tall buildings are, and he pointed to one 2-storey building. I was like is this guy joking or what! And this was even before the ebola virus wahala. And then pointing to one upstair, he whispered to my ears 'this hotel is owned by one govt official - complaining, he said you see corruption?" grin cheesy grin
When i got to my hotel, i saw i have many many things to think about and many many more to be greatful for. We do not appreciate what we have until we lose it. Nigeria is and can be a great nation.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by richard870(m): 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
About a certain African tribe exhuming bodies of dead relatives to show they still care ...

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2017
I did my NYSC in an interior village in Ondo state called Ipele-Owo I was depressed and those were the saddest moments of my life, students wearing bathroom slippers to school. The poverty in that land was something else, I gave all my allowance to my students most of whom came to school hungry and tattered, there was no phone network no good water no fine girls around, I enjoyed the palm wine only from my taper

19 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Legonviking: 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2017
[quote author=achimotan post=60729073][/s]
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by jericco1(m): 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2017
Boyooosa:

Una no go key pesin here. If dem com dey interrogate a deaf Nigerian thief nko shocked
lol, as in eh.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2017
Amarabae:
why not face them instead of forging a lie?
We are IGBOS and proud,get that into your head!

point out the lies your slowliness
you no proud na, use that same pride to call you kins to order. i have never said shit about about tribe on here b4 but i will never stand for 2nd class phylums to talk shit about my culture. caio

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Boyooosa(m): 6:21pm On Sep 22, 2017
Amarabae:
Shame!
And here come the sobs....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2017
Macmoni:
ipod..fufu smells more dan rotten egg
fufu is WAZOBIA

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Legonviking: 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2017
achimotan:
[/s]

Your categorical assertion is absurd to say the least. I have been to wedding receptions where there were buffet with people being served with different types of food.

Don't mind that RMU student. To think that some people would have their receptions at Labadi Beach Hotel,Golden Tulip,Holiday Inn and other Hotels and just serve coke and chicken is laughable.

I worship at Charismatic Evangelistic Ministry at North Legon and have witnessed numerous wedding receptions where food was served

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2017
Investnow2017:
A Modern Culture

On culture shock and Ghana. Some few years ago i visited Ghana during my vacation. Being my first visit i asked my hotel to arrange a cab to take me round Accra. I got talking with the taxicab driver. The news of oil being newly discovered in Ghana was in the air then and it was already affecting their economy as fuel prices were already rising.

At one point, the guy took me to their GRA and was pointing to where the government officials live. And then he added "you see corruption has become a big problem now in Ghana especially among govt officials. He said can you imagine that some ministers now have up to 2 cars, some even V8 and now fill their fuel tanks to the brim. The corruption is too much now." He bitterly complained. I was like is this one corruption? Although i was nodding my head in agreement, but in my mind i was saying 'is this guy joking or what?' Is this corruption? Come to Nigeria grin grin cheesy Here in Nigeria you can even capture corruption with your camera grin grin grin
One V8 jeep, you say corruption. What will you say when your airport lacks enough space to pack fleets of private jets cheesy cheesy grin

On a lighter note i was really shocked. I cant forget the experience. Like someone had mentioned earlier, Nigeria is a great nation compared to its neighbouring countries.

When i left Ghana and flew to Liberia, the cab that took me from the airport likely has never travelled outside Liberia before. On getting to Monrovia, unknown to me that we were already in Monrovia he said this is the road to our vice-president house. I saw a bungalow with broken bottles strewn on top of the fence. I asked where their tall buildings are, and he pointed to one 2-storey building. I was like is this guy joking or what! And this was even before the ebola virus wahala. And then pointing to one upstair, he whispered to my ears 'this hotel is owned by one govt official - complaining, he said you see corruption?" grin cheesy grin
When i got to my hotel, i saw i have many many things to think about and many many more to be greatful for. We do not appreciate what we have until we lose it. Nigeria is and can be a great nation.

It's until you travel to other African countries before you know how good Nigeria is. If only we had leaders with vision. We could be the first African country to attain first world status. We have the human resources to achieve it.

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Stevengerd(m): 6:26pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Very fun. kiss
Still wanna taste that chichinaga again
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by ibkayee(f): 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2017
When I went to Nigeria and nepa took light at the airport smh

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington / Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.