Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,023 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (49562 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 7:24pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

Why am I am not surprised someone as stupid as you is also a sexist undecided

Forgive? Don't embarrass yourself. No one asked you your forgiveness, no one even cares about it and whom you give undecided

Sexist for stating the obvious?? undecided

Again, I reiterate, you can go, it is no ones fault you were born a woman.

Sayanora

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Dalek(m): 7:24pm On Sep 22, 2017
gentlechyke:

Reason being that the male child suceeds the father; his name, bloodline, undiluted gene, and his name just like the jews in the bible unlike ladies that marry out to their husbands lineage...where the man has no male child, either his immediate brothers inherit his properties or in their discretion leave it for the woman as the culture has evolved

oh ok, it just sounds weird saying i can't get my father's property cuz I'm a lady. cuz here it's a normal thing
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Lalas247(f): 7:25pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
Lol bae it's not that bad. tongue
It's only three weddings I've attended and I no get food to chop. embarassed Maybe others will be different sha.
So you no fit attend my court wedding? sad cry

I will but you guys will have to organise suya outside the court with maybe small jollof rice chicken with dodo and maybe cowslaw on the side

Nothing to much grin
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by FemiEddy(m): 7:25pm On Sep 22, 2017
charlsecy:
How do they prepare peanut cake (kwili-kwili)?
adeblow:

I think u meant kilishi
Kuli Kuli, Lepers use deir bare hands to make Kulikuli in d north, doubt if dey hav changed d process
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Outofsync(m): 7:27pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:

see ehn no try me with iyan, i go finish you. iyan and okro or efo or marigbo. guy you go fear. na only amala i no dey eat

Now you're talking!!

Iyan with efo riro combined with the bitter tang of efirin garnished with ponmo scattered all over the soup.

Lawd! I feel Hungry already just thinking about it cry

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by NCANpatroller: 7:27pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
I'm currently not in Ghana too, is it urgent? I'll be in ghana next week. So I can call for you.

It's not. Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by pafek(m): 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
Outofsync:

Sexist for stating the obvious?? undecided

Again, I reiterate, you can go, it is no ones fault you were born a woman.

Sayanora
bros abeg leave this Igbo, if u continue to reply her she wil think she's of great relevance to the cooking of okro soup..., nxt u kn, she will start claiming activist.
SILENCE IS BEST ANSWER TO INCONSEQUENTIAL.....

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by omofunaab(m): 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
lovelygurl:

Why would I? This is about how he felt. He unlike you didn't lie about sth. He simply stated his feelings. I am definitely sure you won't be able to eat some info foods too. Stop being ridiculous and childish

There is difference between not liking a food and insulting those who eats it.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by deedeedee1: 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
Afam4eva:

The last time i ate amala was about 15 years ago and it was also the first time. I have to be able to summon courage to eat certain foods because mere looking at them, i just give up. It's funny that a lot of people including my siblings can kill to eat Amala.
Nobody force you to wat Amala. If you dont like it then shut your dirty mouth! We Yorubas love it.
This is how you ebowls insult people then begin to cry victim later.
Yoruba people have never cared if you like their food. Just dont insult them in the Cyber Space.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Bamz(m): 7:34pm On Sep 22, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
was once offered to sleep with a man's wife in Tibet, after a heavy night of drinking... and although i refused (she didnt look any good/mountable), i was told such act wasnt uncommon between brothers in these parts of China.

You sound like Khal Drogo
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
Kobicove:
Are you for real?

why would i lie on a faceless forum?! true story!
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Afam4eva(m): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
deedeedee1:

Nobody force you to wat Amala. If you dont like it then shut your dirty mouth! We Yorubas love it.
Yoruba people have never cared if you like their food. Just dont insult them in the Cyber Space.
Kai, which kain wahala be this nitori olorun? Don't i reserve the right to like or dislike a particular food irrespective of the origin of the food?

11 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by kaypound(m): 7:36pm On Sep 22, 2017
Nbote:
Went with my dad on a medical trip to India, Pune specifically a couple of years back.. Almost everyone had a form of paint on their forehead. Made a couple of friends there and found out they had different gods and u decide who to pray to. Everyone had a mini shrine/temple and den there's a major temple on almost every street... Oh and their love for spices is crazy..

And flowers
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Just30: 7:36pm On Sep 22, 2017
mmsen:

No, in other parts of the world they also serve food but they also have set seating and guests lists - not one person bringing 4 or 5 uninvited guests. Even in Ghana they've served food at the weddings that I've been to but I can imagine that as you go down the socio-economic scale that becomes unfeasible.

I think it's a question of economics. Food in Nigeria is very cheap, especially compared to Ghana where everything (including local produce) is vastly overpriced.
food is served at every wedding, it's like a culture. Making weddings and expensive business.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Just30: 7:37pm On Sep 22, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Ghana isn't fun at all. It's a very boring country. Very very very boring. There's nothing exciting to do or see.
Ghana is boring to boring people.
Do you get bored sometimes? Yes you do

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by RoyalPearl(f): 7:37pm On Sep 22, 2017
achimotan:
[/s]

Your categorical assertion is absurd to say the least. I have been to wedding receptions where there were buffet with people being served with different types of food.

Achimotan that guy is a very well know Ghana hater. He is always spewing stuff from his ass not to mention that fake makydebbie girl pretending to be from Ghana.

Just leave them with their ignorance and backwards thinking. Let them believe whatever they want to believe and honestly I doubt anything you say or any real Ghanaian says on this forum won't be taking seriously.

Don't have any time or energy for their nonsense anymore hence most of us have left this forum.

I mean everyone knows that food and drinks is one of the important aspects of the wedding and to be frank one of the main reasons people attend the function. So to say we don't serve any food is really laughable.

Am not even going to waste my time posting videos and pictures. Just save yourself the energy and stress and leave them to believe whatever the FCK they want.

Hope you good smiley wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Humanistme: 7:38pm On Sep 22, 2017
deedeedee1:

he didn't insult anybody, he simply said he doesn't like the food because of the way it looks. if he were to insult Yoruba he would. be insulting his siblings because they eat the food too. you guys are taking this tribalism to another level grow up.

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Bibi294(f): 7:38pm On Sep 22, 2017
Democrat1c:
The eating of Amala and Ewedu by Yoruba. That creepy food irritates my marrows. The soup sometime appears like the sh*ts of Jedi Jedi patients.
My best meal!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by michony505(m): 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2017
highchief3:
Mine was Amala, served in the west, first time I saw someone eating Amala, I actually throw up.

As corpers we were always invited to parties but I kept on refusing to eat Amala until one yoruba babe took it upon herself to initiate me to Amala,

I took the challenge and tasted Amala Oooooboy..... It was heavenly it was so smooth and goes down easily I never expected to be that good.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by hanassholesolo: 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
was once offered to sleep with a man's wife in Tibet, after a heavy night of drinking... and although i refused (she didnt look any good/mountable), i was told such act wasnt uncommon between brothers in these parts of China.

It was cuckoldery. Blacks are like fetish to them.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by adeblow(m): 7:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
FemiEddy:

Kuli Kuli, Lepers use deir bare hands to make Kulikuli in d north, doubt if dey hav changed d process
But the way u saying it, u make it sound like its only lepers that make it
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by elantraceey(f): 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2017
PaperLace:
When my inlaws came to collect traditional marriage list, after we gave them our list _they gave us theirs. They said their son is not cheap. My dad shock grin!

We thought it was small something.
As we opened it, it was actually neatly typed and sealed.
Naso we see 1big male goat, 1 big bowl of fufu, kegs of palmwine. They kept on emphasising on the BIG.

ROFL

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by sorzy1(m): 7:45pm On Sep 22, 2017
FemiEddy:

Hello, I totally disagree with you. Such is not the case everywhere, you should have said that is what you saw. Are you aware that leapers are kind of ostracized in the north? therefore, it is very wrong/incorrect of you to claim with certainty that groundnut AKA kulikuli which happens to be a well accepted snack by the northerners is produced by the same set of people the separate themselves from. Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by czarina(f): 7:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
Dalek:
love this, the abokis that sell this are blessed. grin
What's that? I see them selling it everywhere here... I think I've even seen the pink ones.... undecided
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Bamz(m): 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
I thought the regular pidgin in Lagos was the norm till I got to Warri. I was given the surprise of my life. Even very fine chics would speak it like it's their lingua franca. The annoying thing is that they can tell if you're a foreigner just from the way you speak pidgin.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Investnow2017: 7:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
captainbell:
that was when I was serving in the east, and I saw people been served food and even beer in a burial ceremony of a 13 years old boy, I my place (south west) it's a taboo to even drink water talkless of eating food in a burial ceremony of someone who is not old, (50 years at least)

Among the Binis in Edo state you dont even attend the burial of your younger one not to talk of eating at it sad

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Bamz(m): 7:52pm On Sep 22, 2017
Afam4eva:
I visited the Island of Mauritius and apart from the fact that i was seeing hundreds of ladies with hot bikinis, there was a section where ladies were topless and it wasn't a big deal to them but to a Nigerian guy, i just had to contain my excitement and respect myself.

My gee cool
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by czarina(f): 7:53pm On Sep 22, 2017
hilroy:
We can all see the hateful and bigotry tribe on this thread. The Op ask of cultural shock anyone has witnessed, and the Igbos deem it fit to throw jabs on Yorubas Amala and Ewedu like they used too. Meanwhile, there are many disgusting foods they eat like Abacha, Okpa, oha (which is purely tree leaves) and Nsala (looks like shit) but you will never hear Yoruba make derogatory comments about their shitty foods. And if I start to list out the cultural shocks from that tribe many people will be shocked to their bone marrows
Nna biko remove okpa from that list angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:53pm On Sep 22, 2017
RoyalPearl:

Achiotan that guy is a very well know Ghana hater. He is always spewing stuff from his ass not to mention that fake makydebie girl pretending to be from Ghana.

Just leave them with their ignorance and backwards thinking. Let them believe whatever they want to believe and honestly I doubt anything you say or any real Ghanaian says on this forum won't be taking seriously.

Don't have any time or energy for their nonsense anymore hence most of us have left this forum.

I mean everyone knows that food and drinks is one of the important aspects of the wedding and to be frank one of the main reasons people attend the function. So to say we don't serve any food is really laughable.

Am not even going to waste my time posting videos and pictures. Just save yourself the energy and stress and leave them to believe whatever the FCK they want.

Hope you good smiley wink
I don't give a rat ass what you think and I'll advice you not to mention me in the nearest future. If you're so pained that I'm a Ghanaian, then kill yourself. Stop trying so hard to be noticed. Girl360 come see the rubbish this one is saying here. undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Lalas247:

I will but you guys will have to organise suya outside the court with maybe small jollof rice chicken with dodo and maybe cowslaw on the side

Nothing to much grin

We no dey do that one oo. embarassed
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by makydebbie(f): 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
pafek:

well, with your responses? don't think you can be as mean as YOU PERSIVE.
I think I should know 1 when I meet 1
Don't be surprised when you see me in my worst behavior then. wink
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Lalas247(f): 7:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
makydebbie:
We no dey do that one oo. embarassed
I will bring pack lunch grin no worry lala will be fed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

The Mystery Behind The Birth Of The Oba Of Benin / Oba Saheed Elegushi Marries Hadiza Tanko As Second Wife (photos) / Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.