Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? (13271 Views)

2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) / Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 7:12pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Yeah for shizzle  tongue tongue
I think i wasnt born yet undecided undecided undecided undecided
Am in my early twenties
C'mon ofcourse you were Alive and Kicking when some of those records came out.

FL Gators:

I was oh, I rem always asking my mom to send me back to spend my teen years dia
LOL I cant imagine you listening to Obey sha. cheesy
then I def wasnt born yet then

Well, I had no choice oooo grin
If it wasn't Motown, it was obey/KSA. I had to put or shut up grin.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

I was oh, I rem always asking my mom to send me back to spend my teen years dia
LOL I cant imagine you listening to Obey sha. cheesy
then I def wasnt born yet then

Maybe you would have danced to SSP like us  too undecided undecided undecided
When I went to naija  for the fisrt time after travelling and my parents heard me rocking those oldies like there is no tomorrow, they were soo speechless, Cos i wasnt really into it b4 i left naija
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 07, 2010
chic2pimp:

C'mon ofcourse you were Alive and Kicking when some of those records came out.

Really!!
ma bad , thougt I wasn't born then.
Now I feel so old  cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Maybe you would have danced to SSP like us  too undecided undecided undecided
When I went to naija  for the fisrt time after travelling and my parents heard me rocking those oldies like there is no tomorrow, they were soo speechless, Cos i wasnt really into it b4 i left naija
LOL had my mom's old tapes recorded. I bought this tape recorder [got laughed at at school cuz it was the CD player age]  just to play the oldies.
Of course at a point, my baby bro got his hands on them, thought they were strings.
My mom saved his life that day. . . .ori mii gbe nigba ti mo dele ti mo ri awon tape mi ti ya. sad
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo:

Aren't you in the UK? But still, that's weird considering everybody in UK be tryna speak with a Jamaican accent  grin I figured their music would be heavily influenced at the parties.

I've attended quite a few parties in the U.S(have way more relatives in the u.s than the u.k).

In the U.K, it depends on the nationality of the host grin.
I've been to Jamaican Hosted parties where Reggae was hardly played(it was all about ska,rocksteady & most especially DanceHall)
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

LOL had my mom's old tapes recorded. I bought this tape recorder [got laughed at at school cuz it was the CD player age]  just to play the oldies.
Of course at a point, my baby bro got his hands on them, thought they were strings.
My mom saved his life that day. . . .ori mii gbe nigba ti mo dele ti mo ri awon tape mi ti ya. sad

LOL, I actually have mine on my ipod, any oldies i come across on youtube, i always make sure i rip them  (thats if i like it).
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2010
@Ife
How do you download on youtube?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 7:28pm On Mar 07, 2010
^^ listentoyoutube.com. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiog, and you never told me this? I actually feel betrayed.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by eldee(m): 7:30pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo:

Def. current ones. Never heard any Bob Marley oo.  cheesy
I'm sure Marley was the whachamacaalit? 'introspective' type. These songs are just buck-wild, fast-paced with loud beats.

Simple name three artistes.
If it's that popular, I should know at least one of em.

chic2pimp:

I've attended quite a few parties in the U.S(have way more relatives in the u.s than the u.k).

In the U.K, it depends on the nationality of the host grin.
I've been to Jamaican Hosted parties where Reggae was hardly played(it was all about ska,rocksteady & most especially DanceHall)

Thank you . . . I tot I was being bias. . . especially as one of the best friends I've made on NL is from the Islands.

@Chiogo
No one in the UK speaks with any Jamaican accent.
How many times do I have to tell you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 7:30pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Really!!
ma bad , thougt I wasn't born then.
Now I feel so old  cheesy cheesy

Don't we all grin.
Seems like yersterday, I was checking out those hawwt looking teachers embarassed embarassed cheesy

FL Gators:

You and your demo sha undecided
Give it 5 years, that lil dude will be whooping your behind cool
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 07, 2010
@chic2pimp
Even at 9, they still obey me cool cool cool
5yrs from now, they'll be changing my baby's diaper wink
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 7:35pm On Mar 07, 2010
eldee:

Thank you . . . I tot I was being bias. . . especially as one of the best friends I've made on NL is from the Islands.

Most peeps ca differentiate between ska, Dancehall and Reggae.
As soon they hear any 'Jamaican Sounding Music', they automatically think it is Reggae grin

eldee:

@Chiogo

I tire ooooo.
I've told her loads of times undecided

FL Gators:

@chic2pimp
Even at 9, they still obey me cool cool cool
5yrs from now, they'll be changing my baby's diaper wink
Dream on.
Dude would even be flogging your behind if and when you mess up cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

@Ife
How do you download on youtube?

I use realplayer
http://uk.real.com/realplayer/
Just download the software
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 7:55pm On Mar 07, 2010
FL Gators:

chiog, and you never told me this? I actually feel betrayed.
Ahhhhh, I rarely use it oo. Didn't know you were looking to download, don't you buy from I-tunes?

eldee:

Simple name three artistes.
I dunno their names, I don't even listen to reggae. But movado is definitely one of them.

eldee:

@Chiogo
chic2pimp:

I tire ooooo.
I've told her loads of times undecided
I was messing with y'all.  grin

eldee:

Obviously, the U.S. is different from the U.K. If they don't play reggae at the parties there, does it mean it's not recognized? Even U.K. music like rap is not recognized unless the ones with some affiliation with the U.S. It's that simple.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 07, 2010
chiogo:

Ahhhhh, I rarely use it oo. Didn't know you were looking to download, don't you buy from I-tunes?

Why buy when you can always get it free,
Why is the "AWOOF" word coined if not for suituations like this.  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 8:08pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Why buy when you can always get it free,
Why is the "AWOOF" word coined if not for suituations like this.  cheesy cheesy cheesy
I know, right? grin
I like free things sha.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 8:17pm On Mar 07, 2010
Look @ those two oles above me tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Ayemokhia: 8:27pm On Mar 07, 2010
leave them ooooooo, they have 2 start from some where
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chiogo(f): 8:30pm On Mar 07, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 07, 2010
chic2pimp:

Look @ those two oles above me tongue

Leave us alone jor tongue tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by chic2pimp(m): 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Leave us alone jor tongue tongue

I no hol' una nau tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 07, 2010
@chigo
Who in your world stops looking for free things?
Itunes ko, Youtunes ni. I think I only use itunes to synchronize my Itouch grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by fifi09(f): 11:28pm On Mar 07, 2010
Quote from: y me

the bolded word really cracked me up
@post
not all nigerian artist copy the americans beat
they are so many talented ones out there who run their stuff well
btw did i hear someone say jamaica is on top when it comes to entertainment
that is just not true
i agree the jamaicans(some) are quite good at their stuff but they arent on top

I know, right!

For example, Jeremiah Gyang is a singer-songwriter of rare talent… Not only that, he plays guitar, keyboard, percussion, drums, just a natural talent and great all-around guy.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 7:36am On Mar 08, 2010
2 Chiogo: thank you mam.

@chic2pimp: rocksteady = reggae; atleast the initial stages of reggae which is slowed down ska/mento. the only thing different is dancehall. (referring to your statement about UK Jamaican parties).
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Obelomo: 7:08pm On Mar 09, 2010
Well, because many young naija people prefer "foreign", Westernized or Jamonized music, style, etc. One time we did a nigerian thing in school and they played Paul Play Ik Dairo, my teacher who is AA said," he wanted something that sounds more african." I was shocked that he knew the difference since the song is completely in Yourba.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 15, 2010
I've noticed a trend whereby Nigerian artistes try to add 'authenticity' to their tunez by adding pidgin or an ethnic language to their English lyrics.

I've always seen this as unnecessary. In many cases it sounds forced and contrived.

I see no reason why they cannot simply sing an entire song, or even an entire album, in regular English.

Afterall English is our lingua franca. They can add originality by sidestepping the predictable beats that normally accompany US urban music, and creating a different sound to accompany those lyrics.

I think the imitation bit comes not when they 'try to sound American', but rather, when they try to sound like certain American artistes such as Ne-yo, Usher, Jodeci, Boyz 2 Men, and so on.

They wouldn't come across as imitators if they simply sang in THEIR own lyrical/vocal style, whether or not they 'sounded American', insofar as they're not imitating those individuals. That's when they sound awful.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by shotster50(m): 2:10am On Mar 24, 2010
If it doesnt sound American, then they have thick accents, if it does sound American then they are accused of being unoriginal!!!!! Make up your goddamn mind people!.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Peterpan1(m): 6:14am On Jul 04, 2012
Wat do u expect,when in a country like nigeria there is no national support for musicians,so d musicians do wat dey hav 2 do 2 be on d top of d chart,even if it warrant copying beats,swags,lines and rhymes,or belonging 2 thier cult ,MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON US.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by kony1(m): 1:26am On Jul 07, 2012
eldee:

You say Jamaican music is on top, and I'm asking where and how??
How many people on the Billboard currently are Jamaican??

You're talking about reggae, the only reggae music currently widely listened to is stuff from the 80s/90s.
Jamaican music is not as strong as it used to be . . . it's faceless right now.

That 'we're on top in music' statement is B.S. . . delusion at it's best.

Hehehe . . . dancing to that music is like sex on the dancefloor cheesy cheesy

Alot of which she says is delusional. Glad im not the only one to peep that. Jamaican music as a whole is only popular when black americans decide to co-sign it. Once we get tired of it, it falls off...hard. It was hot in the late eighties/early nineties.fell off. Than became popular again via sean paul in the early 2000s. No its nowhere to be seen
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by Nobody: 4:28am On Jul 17, 2012
k.o.n.y:

Alot of which she says is delusional. Glad im not the only one to peep that. Jamaican music as a whole is only popular when black americans decide to co-sign it. Once we get tired of it, it falls off...hard. It was hot in the late eighties/early nineties.fell off. Than became popular again via sean paul in the early 2000s. No its nowhere to be seen

Lol @cosigning to someone who I had beef with two yrs ago grin desperation much? As for reggae falling off....your kidding. You must be. There is always a reggae/dancehall artist on the bb chart and usually they are local but foreignors who admire or are knowledgeable about jamo culture support them. Reggae/dancehall is always relevant amd has huge followings outside of the states. You can play yourself on nl all u want to but dont try it with me. Aas are far from important in the way you wish you were....grow the fck up and stop searching for "mzdarkskin" in the search box.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? by OmoUSH(m): 12:16am On Aug 03, 2013
eldee:

Used to be. . . Fela and Sunny Ade were once world leaders too.
surely never in this planet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mtn Thank You Nigeria Song (download) / Wizkid Is Still Signed To E.M.E - Banky W / (DOWNLOAD MP3) Teefamous – Wonder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.