Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (48413 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / JAMB Twitter Handler's Grammatical Blunder Got People Talking / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by sseunth(m): 8:29am On Oct 07, 2017
ugochukwufrenzy:
who english epp?..people are complaining dat d normadic ugu at aso rock has turned nigeria to chad.nd u are talking english...op,sense fall on u,upon u nd below u
may you be wise

2 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by 50shadesofme: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2017
Ramanto:
So educative. Op, help me consider these two statements: "original copy submitted by I, John" and "original copy submitted by me, john" thanks

Original copy submitted by, John
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by funnynation(m): 8:33am On Oct 07, 2017
Coming Soon

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 07, 2017
OROSUNBOLB:

You're truly correct. This saddens me anytime I see it.
Yeah.. I will like to... Hahahaha
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by freeDR(m): 8:34am On Oct 07, 2017
A little more expatiation on the use of "who" and "whom" will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Koolking(m): 8:35am On Oct 07, 2017
A lot of Nigerians misuse these words simply because they don't know they are wrong usage. Some try to hide behind their ignorance by using textspeaks. Its very common here - Nairaland.

'Being' and 'been' are the most commonly misused words among Nigerians. Sad!
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 07, 2017
MrPresident1:
Am for I'm nko? angry

By far the most annoying.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by AfricaNigerian: 8:41am On Oct 07, 2017
DANDeGENERAL please write on "will" and "would" by quoting me, thanks!

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by 7footre(m): 8:42am On Oct 07, 2017
The worst has to be using am in place of i'm.
Some even use i'm and still put I in front.

Of late, others have been using has and his in place of as and is.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Shitface(m): 8:51am On Oct 07, 2017
op I have issues with WHERE AND WERE
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by rotexteymie(f): 8:53am On Oct 07, 2017
A Lil bit of enlightenment on CONCORD please?.. .. Concord is really confusing.... Likes of 'would and will' 'can and could'and the likes please
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Chigorkizz(m): 8:54am On Oct 07, 2017
Good,
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Ekealterego: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2017
freeDR:
A little more expatiation on the use of "who" and "whom" will be appreciated. Thanks.
To save me time, I culled this directly from a site.

'Who' is a subject pronoun like 'he', 'she' and 'they'. We use 'who' to ask which person did an action or which person is in a certain state.
Who wrote that letter?
Who is the manager?
Who is going to prepare dinner?

'Whom' is an object pronoun like 'him', 'her' and 'us'. We use ‘whom’ to ask which person received an action.
Whom are you going to ask to the party?
Whom did they choose as team captain?
Whom did they summon?

'Whose' is a possessive pronoun like 'his', and 'our'. We use 'whose' to find out which person something belongs to.
Whose phone is this?
Whose is this umbrella?
Whose car is blocking the drive?

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/who-whom-whose

You can do some exercises in the link also.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by danigbo(m): 9:01am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

"I see him everyday". This is present continuous .

what if you usually see him everyday but not anymore?

can you express that in a past tense?

I saw him three weeks ago
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by DanielsParker(m): 9:06am On Oct 07, 2017
danigbo:

I saw him three weeks ago

Wrong.

"I used to see him" is very correct. we shouldn't get ourselves confused over nothing.

"Used to" is a transitive verb in "I used to" ( I used to sing, I used to live in Mexico , etc.), where the infinitive becomes the direct object, and the construction means something habitual in the past that is no longer so in the present

4 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:06am On Oct 07, 2017
"The blue book of grammar and punctuation" is a good book for English grammer. It is online you can download it.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by encrypt(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2017
Please include sell and sale..i cringe everytime i see that error.
Sell vs Sale
E.g
I want to sell a tecno spark not i want to sale a tecno spark.
However it would be correct to say i have a tecno spark for sale.
This for me is the worst!!
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by ochardbaby(m): 9:10am On Oct 07, 2017
Empredboy:

Correct your English op
No3 , how can you say "and then" at the same time. It should be "then" leave "and" out if it.

Some of us only sabi : $£¥€ abi Na lie?

Johnbull my son go learn how to spell your name.. haha
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by leonard002(m): 9:12am On Oct 07, 2017
one strong way to improve your vocabulary is to read more quality literature.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by freeDR(m): 9:13am On Oct 07, 2017
Ekealterego:

To save me time, I culled this directly from a site.

'Who' is a subject pronoun like 'he', 'she' and 'they'. We use 'who' to ask which person did an action or which person is in a certain state.
Who wrote that letter?
Who is the manager?
Who is going to prepare dinner?

'Whom' is an object pronoun like 'him', 'her' and 'us'. We use ‘whom’ to ask which person received an action.
Whom are you going to ask to the party?
Whom did they choose as team captain?
Whom did they summon?

'Whose' is a possessive pronoun like 'his', and 'our'. We use 'whose' to find out which person something belongs to.
Whose phone is this?
Whose is this umbrella?
Whose car is blocking the drive?

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/who-whom-whose

You can do some exercises in the link also.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 07, 2017
English isn't my father's language.
Even bill gates cannot speak ours well

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by DanielsParker(m): 9:21am On Oct 07, 2017
AfricaNigerian:
DANDeGENERAL please write on "will" and "would" by quoting me, thanks!

"would" is the past tense of "will" , usually used to show action in the past that used to happen repeatedly. e.g then after school, he would go every day to meet her.

it is some times used as a polite form of requesting for something e.g would you get your feet off the desk?

"will", on the other hand, is a future tense. eg I will be in London next week. I will meet you tomorrow
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by TeeFriz: 9:29am On Oct 07, 2017
Ogbeni,na money boys dey hustle, grammar no go pay bills
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Myself2(m): 9:31am On Oct 07, 2017
Bede2u:
You forgot 'been' and 'being'. This is very common among nairalanders flaties and afonjas alike.
They be like ''Ya I have being there before'' or ''You are been stupid'' I dey laugh any time I see the mumu mix up

Thanks for speaking my mind, I don't know why it irritates me so much to see this particular mistake being so rampantly flaunted on sundry threads on this nairaland forum
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Gotze1: 9:31am On Oct 07, 2017
Ayo4251:
Some do not even know how to use 'has' and 'have'
The one wey bad pass na those wey no know when to use has, had, and have.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Myself2(m): 9:35am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

I see him everyday, that was until some days ago though

OR

I stopped seeing him regularly some days ago

OR

I haven't set my eyes on him in the last ten days, prior to that I saw him on a daily basis

OR

I don't see him anymore, quite unlike before

etc etc etc

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by kocvalour(m): 9:36am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

I used to see him everyday
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by AfricaNigerian: 9:41am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

"would" is the past tense of "will" , usually used to show action in the past that used to happen repeatedly. e.g then after school, he would go every day to meet her.

it is some times used as a polite form of requesting for something e.g would you get your feet off the desk?

"will", on the other hand, is a future tense. eg I will be in London next week. I will meet you tomorrow
oh! Thank you sir.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by lafean20(f): 9:43am On Oct 07, 2017
jaszplus12:
nowadays "am" has replaced "i'm"!
it's absolutely wrong to write "am fine" rather it's "I'm fine"
same also for "I use(d) to see him everyday" rather it's "I see him everyday"
"I used to use baking powder for ...." rather it's "I use baking powder for...."
more from others please...
thanks op for brightening my grammar this Saturday morning!
guy ,God bless u for this, so many ppl use this word all the time in the wrong context and it really pisses me off.

3 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Lawsimon(m): 9:45am On Oct 07, 2017
Very enlightening piece, I must confess. However, I feel you should have included this very common one, "am'' and "i'm". Also, these two words are often used interchangeably "were" and "where".

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by ShegzyB: 9:45am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

You simply say 'i dont see him anymore'
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by buffalowings: 9:51am On Oct 07, 2017
The first four are most common with Americans
Not a day goes by I don't see such when I visit their forums

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pls Which Course Can I Study With This Result / 10 Secret First Class Student Will Never Tell Anyone About / A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.