Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:16 AM

13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (48648 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / JAMB Twitter Handler's Grammatical Blunder Got People Talking / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jakD: 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2017
Kobicove:

I completely agree with you...it's so disheartening to find that even well educated people in Nigeria make these mistakes and they refuse to accept correction! undecided

Majority of them kill their brain with abbreviations, they're too fond of abbreviating even where not necessary.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by 9jatriot(m): 1:19pm On Oct 07, 2017
No one seems to have mentioned these confusing words: Lost, Loss, Lose, Loose.

3 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jakD: 1:22pm On Oct 07, 2017
IamZod:

So If I say "Who am I speaking with?
And Whom am I speaking with?

Which of the two are grammatically correct?

Who am I speaking with? --this is preferable if you haven't had the caller's contact saved before.

Whom I am speaking with? --this shows that you have the caller's contact saved already, but you ain't sure of the person you're speaking with at that moment on the phone because they're above one person on the call.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by IYIMAN: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2017
"Borrow" and "Lend" are also misused words. Happens too often.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by SuperSuave(m): 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2017
jaszplus12:
nowadays "am" has replaced "i'm"!
it's absolutely wrong to write "am fine" rather it's "I'm fine"
same also for "I use(d) to see him everyday" rather it's "I see him everyday"
"I used to use baking powder for ...." rather it's "I use baking powder for...."

more from others please...
thanks op for brightening my grammar this Saturday morning!
You're totally wrong with the emboldened bro. I USED TO SEE HIM EVERYDAY and I SEE HIM EVERYDAY are two different sentences with different meanings. The former is continuous past tense(I USED to see him but not anymore) while the latter is continuous present tense(I still see him everyday).

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jakD: 3:06pm On Oct 07, 2017
oyoofong:
They vs The.

This vs these

cheesy

THEY is a pronoun while
THE is an article

THIS is a singular. For instance, This is my boy.
THESE is the plural form of THIS. For instance, These are my boys.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jim16sha: 3:54pm On Oct 07, 2017
IT IS EDUCATIVE,THANKS
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by imustsaymymindo: 4:21pm On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

"I see him everyday". This is present continuous .

what if you usually see him everyday but not anymore?

can you express that in a past tense?

I did see him everyday. Lol, I dont know if it's coreect though.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by imustsaymymindo: 4:23pm On Oct 07, 2017
jakD:

Who am I speaking with? --this is preferable if you haven't had the caller's contact saved before.

Whom I am speaking with? --this shows that you have the caller's contact saved already, but you ain't sure of the person you're speaking with at that moment on the phone because they're above one person on the call.

Before the brain reason whether the number was saved or not, the english for don commot na and airtime sef for don zoom lol.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by valkaka(m): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2017
Fewer/less
The fact that many people don’t know the difference between “fewer” and “less” is reflected in the number of supermarket checkout aisles designated for “10 items or less”. The mistake most people make is using “less” when they actually mean “fewer”, rather than the other way round.

The rules:

“Fewer” refers to items you can count individually.
“Less” refers to a commodity, such as sand or water, that you can’t count individually.

I.e. and e.g.
These two abbreviations are commonly confused, and many people use them interchangeably. However, their uses are very different.

The rules:

I.e. means “that is” or “in other words”. It comes from the Latin words “id est”.
E.g. means “for example”. It comes from the Latin words “exempli gratia”.
Only use “i.e.” and “e.g.” when writing informally. In formal documents, such as essays, it is better to write out the meanings (“for example” or “that is”).
How not to do it:

He liked many different cheeses, i.e. cheddar, camembert and brie.
He objects to the changes – e.g. he won’t be accepting them.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Ekealterego: 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2017
IamZod:

So If I say "Who am I speaking with?
And Whom am I speaking with?

Which of the two are grammatically correct?
"Whom" is grammatically correct. However, in today's informal English, "who am I speaking with"
Is generally acceptable. But "whom" in this case is technically and grammatically correct.
The grammatical logic is this, assuming that the object of the sentence is a male, "Whom" works with "him" and "who" works with "he".

Example:
Who deserves the credit?
He deserves the credit.

WHOM should I give the credit go to?
You should give the credit to HIM.

But:

Who is the greatest man alive?
HE is the greatest man alive.

WHOM should we make the greatest man alive?
We should make HIM the greatest man alive

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jakD: 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2017
imustsaymymindo:

Before the brain reason whether the number was saved or not, the english for don commot na and airtime sef for don zoom lol.
You're funny bro. You know it well, I'm certain.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Teawhy2011: 6:35pm On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

i used to help my mother when i ws in Lagos.(past tense) i am used to helping my mother(present tense)
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by DanielsParker(m): 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2017
Teawhy2011:
i used to help my mother when i ws in Lagos.(past tense) i am used to helping my mother(present tense)

"I am used to", means "accustomed to", "in the habit of".

it's an entirely different thing.

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jaszplus12(m): 7:45pm On Oct 07, 2017
konkobility:

i'm is just an abbrevation for I AM
noted. but I meant people tend to say or write "am" for 'I'm" or "I am".
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jaszplus12(m): 7:50pm On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

yea...
under both contexts you're right but if you listen carefully to many people they tend to mean "I see him everyday" (present continuous) by saying "I use(d) to see him everyday"
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by imustsaymymindo: 8:18pm On Oct 07, 2017
jakD:

You're funny bro. You know it well, I'm certain.

Lol. I just feel as long as the other person you are communicating with understands your point, we dont need to be bothered either we spoke correct or incorrect english.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by EngrMilly(m): 9:50pm On Oct 07, 2017
SuperSuave:
You're totally wrong with the emboldened bro. I USED TO SEE HIM EVERYDAY and I SEE HIM EVERYDAY are two different sentences with different meanings. The former is continuous past tense(I USED to see him but not anymore) while the latter is continuous present tense(I still see him everyday).
OP was trying to say 'use to' or 'used to' should be substituted with 'usually','normally','often' etc.
"Use(d) to" is an anachronistic phrase and should be avoided.
I used to wake up early. (WRONG)
I usually/normally/often wake up early.(correct)
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by EngrMilly(m): 9:58pm On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

"I am used to", means "accustomed to", "in the habit of".
it's an entirely different thing.
NB: "Used to" is not synonymous to "accustomed to" in any way. "Used to" is grammatically wrong, just like "still yet" and "so therefore".
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by EngrMilly(m): 10:12pm On Oct 07, 2017
Myself2:

I stopped seeing him regularly SOME DAYS ago

etc etc etc
NB: When 'ago' is used, a definite number or figure must come before it. Say; five days ago, not some days ago.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Abbotp: 6:05am On Oct 08, 2017
Nice one op...good reminder
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by pedrilo: 8:42am On Oct 08, 2017
Pls clear the air on
Have
Has
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by EngrMilly(m): 12:45pm On Oct 08, 2017
pedrilo:
Pls clear the air on
Have
Has
'Has' is a singular anomalous verb, it attracts a singular noun/pronoun before it.
He has a nice car.
Tunde has a nice car.
'Have' is a plural anomalous verb, it attracts a plural noun/pronoun before it.
They have nice clothes. Not: He have nice clothes.
Statements like 'he have/She have' are grossly incorrect.
Also note that 'Had' is the past tense form of both 'has' and 'have'.
Tunde had a nice car before the MMM debacle.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by pedrilo: 7:42pm On Oct 08, 2017
EngrMilly:

'Has' is a singular anomalous verb, it attracts a singular noun/pronoun before it.
He has a nice car.
Tunde has a nice car.
'Have' is a plural anomalous verb, it attracts a plural noun/pronoun before it.
They have nice clothes. Not: He have nice clothes.
Statements like 'he have/She have' are grossly incorrect.
Also note that 'Had' is the past tense form of both 'has' and 'have'.
Tunde had a nice car before the MMM debacle.
thnx
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Myself2(m): 4:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
EngrMilly:

NB: When 'ago' is used, a definite number or figure must come before it. Say; five days ago, not some days ago.

Yes of course,however in situations when the number of days is uncertain,you may use some days ago,use your discretion to fill any number of days.Somedays ago avails you so much latitude
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Officer101(m): 8:24pm On Oct 09, 2017
DANDeGENERAL:
people’s

All it takes is a single tweet or text for some people to reveal their poor grasp of the English language.Homophones — words that sound alike but are spelled differently — can be particularly pesky.Regardless, you should never choose incorrectly in these nine situations:

1. ‘YOUR’ VS. ‘YOU’RE’“Your” is a possessive pronoun, while “you’re” is a contraction of “you are.”Example 1: You’re pretty.Example 2: Give me some of your whiskey.

2. ‘IT’S’ VS. ‘ITS’Normally, an apostrophe symbolizes possession, as in, “I took the dog’s bone.” But because apostrophes also replace omitted letters — as in “don’t” — the “it’s” vs. “its” decision gets complicated.Use “its” as the possessive pronoun and “it’s” for the shortened version of “it is.”Example 1: The dog chewed on its bone.Example 2: It’s raining

3. ‘THEN’ VS. ‘THAN’“Then” conveys time, while “than” is used for comparison.Example 1: We left the party and then went home.Example 2: We would rather go home than stay at the party.

4. ‘THERE’ VS. ‘THEY’RE’ VS. ‘THEIR’“There” is a location. “Their” is a possessive pronoun. And “they’re” is a contraction of “they are.”Use them wisely.

5. ‘WE’RE’ VS. ‘WERE’“We’re” is a contraction of “we are” and “were” is the past tense of “are.”

6. ‘AFFECT’ VS. ‘EFFECT’“Affect” is a verb and “effect” is a noun.There are, however, rare exceptions. For example, someone can “effect change” and “affect” can be a psychological symptom.Example: How did that affect you?Example: What effect did that have on you?

7. ‘TWO’ VS. ‘TOO’ VS. ‘TO’“Two” is a number.“To” is a preposition. It’s used to express motion, although often not literally, toward a person, place, or thing.And “too” is a synonym for “also.”

8. ‘INTO’ VS. ‘IN TO’“Into” is a preposition that indicates movement or transformation, while “in to,” as two separate words, does not.Example: We drove the car into the lake.Example: I turned my test in to the teacher.In the latter example, if you wrote “into,” you’re implying you literally changed your test into your teacher.

9. ‘ALOT’“Alot” isn’t a word. This phrase is always two separate words: a lot.

10. ‘WHO’ VS. ‘WHOM’Use “who” to refer to the subject of a sentence and “whom” to refer to the object of the verb or preposition. Shortcut: Remember that who does it to whom.Example: Who ate my sandwich?Example: Whom should I ask?

11. ‘WHOSE’ VS. ‘WHO’S’Use “whose” to assign ownership to someone and “who’s” as the contraction of “who is.”Example: Whose backpack is on that table?Example: Who’s going to the movies tonight?

12. ‘I’ VS. ‘ME’Use “I” when you are the subject of a sentence and “me” when you are the object.Example: John and I went to the store to buy some food.Example: The cashier handed the groceries to John and me.

13. ‘PEAK’ VS. ‘PIQUE’Use “peak” when describing the highest point or maximum value and “pique” when you are talking about stimulating curiosity.Example: I hiked to the peak of the mountain.Example: The fascinating prior experience her résumé piqued my interest.
This is interesting, its today I know that pique is an English word. I only know pique as Barcelona's defender

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Federal Polytechnic Ede,osun State Admission Form For 2013/2014 Is Out Now! / 2019 Best 50 Polytechnic In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.