Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,456 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (48417 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / JAMB Twitter Handler's Grammatical Blunder Got People Talking / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Bigii(m): 9:55am On Oct 07, 2017
Empredboy:

Correct your English op
No3 , how can you say "and then" at the same time. It should be "then" leave "and" out if it.

Out of it tongue

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by ezzylee(m): 9:55am On Oct 07, 2017
The first and major grammatical error that annoys me is the use OF AM in the place of I'M e.g "am coming to your house" instead of "I'm coming to your house"

Second is the use of IS in the place of IT'S e.g "is time to go home" instead of "it's time to go home"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by seguno2: 9:57am On Oct 07, 2017
DANDeGENERAL:

10. ‘WHO’ VS. ‘WHOM’Use “who” to refer to the subject of a sentence and “whom” to refer to the object of the verb or preposition. Shortcut: Remember that who does it to whom.Example: Who ate my sandwich?Example: Whom should I ask?

11. ‘WHOSE’ VS. ‘WHO’S’Use “whose” to assign ownership to someone and “who’s” as the contraction of “who is.”Example: Whose backpack is on that table?Example: Who’s going to the movies tonight?

12. ‘I’ VS. ‘ME’Use “I” when you are the subject of a sentence and “me” when you are the object.Example: John and I went to the store to buy some food.Example: The cashier handed the groceries to John and me.

Very useful post.
Thanks, especially for the three above.
Cheers man.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Drbarmes(m): 10:01am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

"I see him everyday". This is present continuous .

what if you usually see him everyday but not anymore?

can you express that in a past tense?
ur brain sharp
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by shadrach77: 10:02am On Oct 07, 2017
Please stop all this nonsense! Who has English helped? People in England don't even bother so much about correct grammar like we do. English is not our mother tongue. Let's concentrate more on making our country a better place undecided
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by denjjy(m): 10:17am On Oct 07, 2017
if you are finding it difficult to comprehend the actual usage of some common nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, propositions, phrasal verbs etc or you want to get over some common errors in your spoken English. I would advised you get any of the Dele Ashade's English textbooks: THE INVINCIBLE TEACHER OR A1 ENGLISH

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by aliondo: 10:23am On Oct 07, 2017
No be only pique...what of ramos?
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by DarkRebel69: 10:31am On Oct 07, 2017
The words "Tow" and "Toe" are also erroneously used interchangeably by many English speakers.

As in, "To avert danger, we musn't tow the path of our predecessors (This is wrong). "Toe'' is the correct word to use in that sentence. "Tow" is used to refer to something pulled or hauled and it has nothing to do with "walking or treading".

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by techJ: 10:34am On Oct 07, 2017
datola:
Grammar, grammar

Grammar no be money

Grammar, grammar

Grammar NO BE MY LANGUAGE!

Grammar is in every language. It is a set of rules that governs joining of words, to form a correct sentence/statement.

Every language has it own grammatical rules. Grammar is not a Language bro.

...and your language has grammar too.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Kobicove(m): 10:35am On Oct 07, 2017
ezzylee:
The first and major grammatical error that annoys me is the use OF AM in the place of I'M e.g "am coming to your house" instead of "I'm coming to your house"

Second is the use of IS in the place of IT'S e.g "is time to go home" instead of "it's time to go home"

I completely agree with you...it's so disheartening to find that even well educated people in Nigeria make these mistakes and they refuse to accept correction! undecided

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Empredboy(m): 10:35am On Oct 07, 2017
Bigii:

Out of it tongue
you no well grin normal typing error
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jnrbayano(m): 10:39am On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

I no longer see him daily
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Bigii(m): 10:46am On Oct 07, 2017
Empredboy:
you no well grin normal typing error

Heheheheh

My brother, na grammar thread we dey ooo
Typo is no excuse grin grin
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 07, 2017
Ramanto:
So educative. Op, help me consider these two statements: "original copy submitted by I, John" and "original copy submitted by me, john" thanks
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Originalsly: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2017
The most common is am instead of I'm . .....this should be #1... and #2.... so common that I believe its it is being taught in schools....for yearssss. Am I'm almost sure its it's the reason for many job applications to be tossed in the garbage....and the applicant be left wondering why he wasn't called for interview ....then be shouting its it's because he has no connections or tribalism.
" My names are name is Blah Blah Blah and am I'm a Last Class graduate of
HIgh Class University, Abuja. "
Do you really believe the employer would continue reading?

3 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by delors(m): 10:56am On Oct 07, 2017
DANDeGENERAL:
people’s

All it takes is a single tweet or text for some people to reveal their poor grasp of the English language.Homophones — words that sound alike but are spelled differently — can be particularly pesky.Regardless, you should never choose incorrectly in these nine situations:

1. ‘YOUR’ VS. ‘YOU’RE’“Your” is a possessive pronoun, while “you’re” is a contraction of “you are.”Example 1: You’re pretty.Example 2: Give me some of your whiskey.

2. ‘IT’S’ VS. ‘ITS’Normally, an apostrophe symbolizes possession, as in, “I took the dog’s bone.” But because apostrophes also replace omitted letters — as in “don’t” — the “it’s” vs. “its” decision gets complicated.Use “its” as the possessive pronoun and “it’s” for the shortened version of “it is.”Example 1: The dog chewed on its bone.Example 2: It’s raining

3. ‘THEN’ VS. ‘THAN’“Then” conveys time, while “than” is used for comparison.Example 1: We left the party and then went home.Example 2: We would rather go home than stay at the party.

4. ‘THERE’ VS. ‘THEY’RE’ VS. ‘THEIR’“There” is a location. “Their” is a possessive pronoun. And “they’re” is a contraction of “they are.”Use them wisely.

5. ‘WE’RE’ VS. ‘WERE’“We’re” is a contraction of “we are” and “were” is the past tense of “are.”

6. ‘AFFECT’ VS. ‘EFFECT’“Affect” is a verb and “effect” is a noun.There are, however, rare exceptions. For example, someone can “effect change” and “affect” can be a psychological symptom.Example: How did that affect you?Example: What effect did that have on you?

7. ‘TWO’ VS. ‘TOO’ VS. ‘TO’“Two” is a number.“To” is a preposition. It’s used to express motion, although often not literally, toward a person, place, or thing.And “too” is a synonym for “also.”

8. ‘INTO’ VS. ‘IN TO’“Into” is a preposition that indicates movement or transformation, while “in to,” as two separate words, does not.Example: We drove the car into the lake.Example: I turned my test in to the teacher.In the latter example, if you wrote “into,” you’re implying you literally changed your test into your teacher.

9. ‘ALOT’“Alot” isn’t a word. This phrase is always two separate words: a lot.

10. ‘WHO’ VS. ‘WHOM’Use “who” to refer to the subject of a sentence and “whom” to refer to the object of the verb or preposition. Shortcut: Remember that who does it to whom.Example: Who ate my sandwich?Example: Whom should I ask?

11. ‘WHOSE’ VS. ‘WHO’S’Use “whose” to assign ownership to someone and “who’s” as the contraction of “who is.”Example: Whose backpack is on that table?Example: Who’s going to the movies tonight?

12. ‘I’ VS. ‘ME’Use “I” when you are the subject of a sentence and “me” when you are the object.Example: John and I went to the store to buy some food.Example: The cashier handed the groceries to John and me.

13. ‘PEAK’ VS. ‘PIQUE’Use “peak” when describing the highest point or maximum value and “pique” when you are talking about stimulating curiosity.Example: I hiked to the peak of the mountain.Example: The fascinating prior experience her résumé piqued my interest.
lol. Sounding so smart with this plagiarized post. Read this on MSN page yesterday. Next time, add ur source.
#IntellectualTheft

2 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by DANDeGENERAL(m): 10:59am On Oct 07, 2017
Empredboy:

Correct your English op
No3 , how can you say "and then" at the same time. It should be "then" leave "and" out if it.

Thanks... correction taken
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by DANDeGENERAL(m): 11:00am On Oct 07, 2017
delors:
lol. Sounding so smart with this plagiarized post. Read this on MSN page yesterday. Next time, add ur source.
#IntellectualTheft

sir before you continue go back to MSN and confirm the writer
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 07, 2017
Ekealterego:

To save me time, I culled this directly from a site.

'Who' is a subject pronoun like 'he', 'she' and 'they'. We use 'who' to ask which person did an action or which person is in a certain state.
Who wrote that letter?
Who is the manager?
Who is going to prepare dinner?

'Whom' is an object pronoun like 'him', 'her' and 'us'. We use ‘whom’ to ask which person received an action.
Whom are you going to ask to the party?
Whom did they choose as team captain?
Whom did they summon?

'Whose' is a possessive pronoun like 'his', and 'our'. We use 'whose' to find out which person something belongs to.
Whose phone is this?
Whose is this umbrella?
Whose car is blocking the drive?

https://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/who-whom-whose

You can do some exercises in the link also.
So If I say "Who am I speaking with?
And Whom am I speaking with?

Which of the two are grammatically correct?
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Olorikemi1(f): 11:36am On Oct 07, 2017
And what about ''awhile and a while''
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by oyoofong(m): 11:40am On Oct 07, 2017
They vs The.

This vs these

cheesy
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by Empredboy(m): 11:43am On Oct 07, 2017
Bigii:

Heheheheh

My brother, na grammar thread we dey ooo
Typo is no excuse grin grin
you still no well grin I beg make I speak my native language nah

1 Like

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by lonikit: 11:58am On Oct 07, 2017
DANDeGENERAL:
people’s

All it takes is a single tweet or text for some people to reveal their poor grasp of the English language.Homophones — words that sound alike but are spelled differently — can be particularly pesky.Regardless, you should never choose incorrectly in these nine situations:

1. ‘YOUR’ VS. ‘YOU’RE’“Your” is a possessive pronoun, while “you’re” is a contraction of “you are.”Example 1: You’re pretty.Example 2: Give me some of your whiskey.

2. ‘IT’S’ VS. ‘ITS’Normally, an apostrophe symbolizes possession, as in, “I took the dog’s bone.” But because apostrophes also replace omitted letters — as in “don’t” — the “it’s” vs. “its” decision gets complicated.Use “its” as the possessive pronoun and “it’s” for the shortened version of “it is.”Example 1: The dog chewed on its bone.Example 2: It’s raining

3. ‘THEN’ VS. ‘THAN’“Then” conveys time, while “than” is used for comparison.Example 1: We left the party and then went home.Example 2: We would rather go home than stay at the party.

4. ‘THERE’ VS. ‘THEY’RE’ VS. ‘THEIR’“There” is a location. “Their” is a possessive pronoun. And “they’re” is a contraction of “they are.”Use them wisely.

5. ‘WE’RE’ VS. ‘WERE’“We’re” is a contraction of “we are” and “were” is the past tense of “are.”

6. ‘AFFECT’ VS. ‘EFFECT’“Affect” is a verb and “effect” is a noun.There are, however, rare exceptions. For example, someone can “effect change” and “affect” can be a psychological symptom.Example: How did that affect you?Example: What effect did that have on you?

7. ‘TWO’ VS. ‘TOO’ VS. ‘TO’“Two” is a number.“To” is a preposition. It’s used to express motion, although often not literally, toward a person, place, or thing.And “too” is a synonym for “also.”

8. ‘INTO’ VS. ‘IN TO’“Into” is a preposition that indicates movement or transformation, while “in to,” as two separate words, does not.Example: We drove the car into the lake.Example: I turned my test in to the teacher.In the latter example, if you wrote “into,” you’re implying you literally changed your test into your teacher.

9. ‘ALOT’“Alot” isn’t a word. This phrase is always two separate words: a lot.

13. ‘PEAK’ VS. ‘PIQUE’Use “peak” when describing the highest point or maximum value and “pique” when you are talking about stimulating curiosity.Example: I hiked to the peak of the mountain.Example: The fascinating prior experience her résumé piqued my interest.

op, that number one is wrong o. it is possessive pronoun when it is "yours" but becomes a possessive adjective when it is "your"

so ur example is wrong.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by bigtt76(f): 12:14pm On Oct 07, 2017
You forgot ....'May be and Maybe' 'Revert and Get Back to' grin
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by MyExpression(m): 12:15pm On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

I used to see him everyday/often....

2 Likes

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by safeside002: 12:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
The month of October has been nothing but a blessing. Despite the international break, we still hitting the bookies hard.
See below for more..

Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by AlvanT(m): 12:43pm On Oct 07, 2017
The lesser you speak the corrupted English language the better.I'll emphasize speaking your local language in it's purest form,do so and thank me later.Words are codes,primodial languages were the coding fabrics of the Matrix.The more you speak your uncorrupted local language the better.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by delors(m): 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2017
DANDeGENERAL:

sir before you continue go back to MSN and confirm the writer
You might as well let us know the author.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by donhils: 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2017
You did well op. I'm and Am, been and being are other words they've been miusing since antiquity
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jakD: 1:05pm On Oct 07, 2017
DanielsParker:

Then the USED becomes useful.
Re: 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance by jakD: 1:11pm On Oct 07, 2017
shadrach77:
Please stop all this nonsense! Who has English helped? People in England don't even bother so much about correct grammar like we do. English is not our mother tongue. Let's concentrate more on making our country a better place undecided

It's not nonsense sir.
The English people can't bother themselves because it's their language and they know it, aside, how sure are you that they ain't bothering themselves about it? they too learn English in school.
Besides, nowadays, English HAS BECOME the ONLY language that the world communicate with.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Secret First Class Student Will Never Tell Anyone About / Pls Which Course Can I Study With This Result / A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.